CaptPapa

Anton Yelchin Dies

So very sad.

Question will come up I'm sure of what will they do about Chekov if there are more Trek films after Beyond?

So very sad.

Question will come up I'm sure of what will they do about Chekov if there are more Trek films after Beyond?

My opinion?  Recast.  It's a sad situation, but it does no service to kill a character that shouldn't die.  I know it's another timeline, but Chekov is a part of the story, and I think it does no service to the fans to kill the character.

I couldn't help thinking today: last Sunday Yelchin woke up to news of about 20--soon to be 49--people dying in Orlando. He probably had the same sad thoughts and ruminations on mortality all of us had. But he had no way to know that he had exactly one week to live. I hope he has some brief, shining moments of joy in that week. 

Im weary of having all these morbid thoughts. Im still so rattled from Orlando. Maybe I'm raw, cause it's not like I was attached at all to this particular celebrity or Trek actor. I only ever cried--and Im mean sobbed--over a Trek actor dying when Nimoy died. When Kelley died, and Doohan, whom I had met at a convention like a lot of us, I was sad I guess but not really. I certainly did not cry. I was still a kid when they went. Maybe there is something about adulthood that makes us a bit more emotional with others pass. We know we are closer to that end than we once were. Or more likely we know what's at stake. We have so much we don't want to lose. 

Im really sorry for Yelchin, the future he won't get to have, and for his family.  

For what it's worth, I don't think there's anything wrong with these thoughts.  The reality is, the only reason we know about this sad accident is because he's famous and on Star Trek.  If this was John Smith, it wouldn't make the news.  It would be no less tragic, but most of us would just shake our heads, say it's a shame, be thankful it wasn't someone we knew, and move on.  Celebrity deaths can bother us, and that's natural, because they are in the public eye and even though we don't know them and they wouldn't care about us, we do care.

It means more when it's from a franchise like Star Trek, because we obviously all care about Trek.

Personally, I try to put celebrity deaths into perspective because I can separate the fact that I don't know them.  I get upset about people I know dying, like earlier in the week when I found out a friend of mine, only 38, died.  Had lost touch, and found out he was sick only after he died.  Sad and that bothers me much more than Yelchin, though of course I recognize the tragedy for Yelchin and feel for his family.

I tend to react differently depending on cause of death.  Many celebrities throw their lives away.  Here, that didn't happen, so it's more sad for me.

As for comparing this to Orlando, there's nothing wrong with saying, "hey, that was worse."  That was ISIS on our doorstep, and could happen anywhere so it's something to worry about.  Terrorism by definition is terrifying. 

I've never cried at the death of a celebrity.  I've been rattled a few times, like Larry Hagman and Owen Hart, but never cried.  Tears for me are for people actually in my life.  Though of course others react differently, and I don't fault anyone who feels different.

So very sad.

I would write Chekov out; maybe he got that transfer to the USS Reliant a few years early (?).   But recasting would be disrespectful.   

There are many alternative ideas; they could bring in a younger Saavik, or even TAS' Lt. Arex (who replaced Chekov for two years on that show), but recasting Chekov would be hurtful to the memory of Yelchin, who was quite memorable in the part.    From the Tweets I've read, he was beloved by the entire cast (particularly Cho and Urban).   The character should be laid to rest.  This is an alternate timeline.  It doesn't HAVE to follow the events of TOS.   

They've already killed off Spock's mother Amanda and Kirk's father George Kirk, to use precedents.

Personally, I try to put celebrity deaths into perspective because I can separate the fact that I don't know them.

I've never cried at the death of a celebrity.  I've been rattled a few times, like Larry Hagman and Owen Hart, but never cried.  Tears for me are for people actually in my life.  Though of course others react differently, and I don't fault anyone who feels different

Well, I have, and I don't think it's unnatural to mourn the passing of a beloved celebrity any more than it is to mourn victims of a terror attack.  Or even for the loss of a total stranger on the evening news.   I remember grieving once for a child on TV who was forced by her grandmother to run until she died from heart failure (as punishment for lying).  She reminded me of my goddaughter very much, and I actually felt stinging tears just from seeing the girl's picture on TV.   Never met her, but it was tragic all the same. 

I grieved (and shed tears) when Robin Williams died (whom I'd never met) because he was a huge part of my childhood growing up and he gave the world a lot of laughter.   And it hurt like hell when Leonard Nimoy died (and yes, I did meet him).   Same for Ray Bradbury (my favorite author; I felt I 'knew' him from his books and the two occasions where I'd met him in person).    Same for David Bowie.   I don't see why our empathy or sadness has to remain confined ONLY for those we 'know.'   That's a load of bubkes in my book.   If you're grieving over a loss, and the tears come?  Let them come.   There's a reason they're there.  If they don't?  That's fine too.  But I don't think it's out of bounds to mourn a stranger's passing.   

I mourn a loss of talent, a loss of life and for the fact that a particular artist is silenced.  In my opinion, that's more than ample reason for a few tears.  

I'll admit, I haven't cried for Yelchin, but I still grieve for his friends and loved ones all the same.   There is nothing wrong, or inappropriate about grieving for the loss of a celebrity just because you didn't know them personally.  Tears aren't just reserved for family or friends; they're also for anyone whose lives were touched by someone else.   Or not.  Even the tragic loss of total strangers can (and should) move us to tears. 

I like the exchange about loss between Spock & McCoy in TOS' "Immunity Syndrome", when Spock 'feels' the loss of the USS Intrepid's crew:

Mr. Spock: I've noticed that about your people, Doctor. You find it easier to understand the death of one than the death of a million. You speak about the objective hardness of the Vulcan heart, yet how little room there seems to be in yours. 

Dr. McCoy: Suffer the death of thy neighbour, eh, Spock? Now, you wouldn't wish that on us, would you? 

Mr. Spock: It might have rendered your history a bit less bloody. 

Such a terrible, terrible, stupid accident. He always seemed like a nice guy who loved what he was doing.

That said, I would expect them to recast if there's a fourth, which I think is a good bet. Paramount must have liked what they've seen to spend $12M between Pine and Quinto as a "just in case"

Such a terrible, terrible, stupid accident. He always seemed like a nice guy who loved what he was doing.

That said, I would expect them to recast if there's a fourth, which I think is a good bet. Paramount must have liked what they've seen to spend $12M between Pine and Quinto as a "just in case"

I would sincerely hope that they don't recast; it'd just feel really tacky.  

And while the character is part of the crew, Chekov wasn't necessarily a main character of the franchise.  TOS didn't include him until the 2nd season, and TAS didn't have him at all.   And given that ST Beyond is completed (save for an added dedication, I imagine?), the next movie, if there is one, could just as easily explain the character's loss in a line of dialogue ("Chekov's on the Reliant now, as science officer." etc).

I agree there is no need to kill the character off (esp. if shooting a death scene is no longer possible) but in the ST universe, inter-ship transfers are commonplace.   

But Pine, Quinto and Urban are irreplaceable.   As is Saldana's Uhura. 

Well, it would feel tack now, yes. Two or three years form now? I doubt it would feel as raw.

Don't get me wrong, I've never so loved the character either way, so I'm not pushing for him to be replaced because the franchise can't go on without him.

Maybe, if there is a STAR TREK 4, they will only mention than Chekov was promoted and moved to the USS Reliant or some silly statement like that. I think replacing him with another actor..........I dunno..........seems unlikely.

Geeeee, I cant even get my mind on BEYOND now, much less another sequel. I am still in shock

Of course--they can make a movie without Chekov.  And you're right--it wouldn't be so good to replace him if they had a movie coming out next year, but they don't.  3 years from now?  Of course they should replace him.  The character was not created by this particular actor.  He is a classic character.

Just like Heath Ledger's death did not end the big screen stories for the Joker, none of these actors are so tied to the roles that they can't be recast.

I am against replacing actor in an ensemble movie like the JJ movies, but what I know ? Ask me again in 3 years, the death of Anton is just too recent to us even be talking about this.

maneth   

Agreed, it's way too early to be talking about recasting Chekov now.

From Inquisitr.com website:

STAR TREK BEYOND star Actor Anton Yelchin, only 27-years-old, leaves behind a spate of unreleased films and a TV series after he died in a car accident on Sunday.

Yelchin finished filming a sci-fi drama, Rememory, with Game of Thrones actor Peter Dinklage. The film is about a professor’s widow who happens upon her late husband’s invention that can record and play a person’s memories. The film is in post-production, according to IMDb, with no release date given.

Yelchin also completed a psychological thriller called Thoroughbred, in which he starred opposite Olivia Cooke and Anya Taylor-Joy. The film follows two teenage girls who become friends again after they had grown apart, but they “soon learn neither is what she seems to be.”

Anton Yelchin had also filmed two other movies, both independent films, which have not released yet. Yelchin starred in the family drama We Don’t Belong Here with Catherine Keener and in the romantic drama, Porto.

Yelchin also leaves audiences with the animated series,Trollhunters, which will air on Netflix this coming December. Trollhunters marks the first work Guillermo del Toro has done for children and families, Variety reports. Yelchin voices the lead character, Jim, who discovers a battle between good and evil trolls is taking place underneath his hometown. Kelsey Grammer is the voice of Blinky, a good troll who becomes friends with Yelchin’s Jim. Ron Perlman is the voice of Bular, a bad troll who makes trouble for Yelchin’s Jim

http://www.inquisitr.com/3224458/anton-yelchin-star-trek-beyond-actor-leaves-behind-several-unreleased-films-tv-series-after-his-death/#bjElko5QzLTojxgZ.99

Edited by GustavoLeao

kenman   

Ugh...talk of recasting for a movie that doesn't even have a greenlight yet.  Does any of that matter right now? 

It actually crossed my mind when I first read the report of his death that something like this might be an explanation.

Horrible.

That much more tragic if it was in fact something so stupid  and unnecessary as a defective product.

It actually crossed my mind when I first read the report of his death that something like this might be an explanation.

Horrible.

That much more tragic if it was in fact something so stupid  and unnecessary as a defective product.

Oh no.  That is truly horrifying. 

Anton Yeltchin died too soon. This strange accident with the jeep is not co much a risky role or anything. He was probably just out getting the mail. Dang.

The new Trek actors should not be dying like this. You'd expect that the original cast, now in their 80s, would be growing old and such, but not the younger generations. I recalled Michael Dorn at conventions being annoyed he couldn't fly his private plane because of the contract with the studio.

During the TNG period, the actors were not allowed to take on risky rolls. They mentioned this at conventions. Still going into your driveway, you do not expect to be killed by your own car. Not a risk, you'd think. If the car was faulty, then that really stinks.

So he was about 20 or so in the first one.

Also I heard Green Room is really dark and twisted. I didn't get to see it in theaters.

He was Reese in Terminator Salvation, not Conner. But those movies are ridiculous. The first and second are good. It wasn't his fault the movie was kind of silly,

Talk of recasting it a little too soon. If Beyond does well, they might do another and recast. It is still too soon.

Hammer   

I saw that on Star Trek's subReddit today too. Now I understand how he missed that the vehicle wasn't in park. Mechanics and owners were complaining that it was hard to tell what gear the gear shift is in. This accident happened post-recall, so it might weaken any potential lawsuit by the family. 

As for the recast vs write-him-off debate, I think that right now emotions are raw and the idea of someone else playing the character has an 'icky' factor. I think that writing the character off sweeps it under the rug and I don't think that's fair to the character or what Yelchin did with it. Writing him off would be saying 'It's okay, he was a minor character anyway'. I think that 3 years from now, the fans will be more understanding of a recast. They don't need to explain in-universe why Chekov looks different. The vast majority of fans will be aware of Yelchin's passing. The fans will suspend disbelief in this circumstances.

This accident happened post-recall, so it might weaken any potential lawsuit by the family. 

Really depends on if he had the recall addressed. I know that they correspond and inform you that your vehicle is the subject of a recall, but liability will depend on a variety of things.

As for the recast vs write-him-off debate, I think that right now emotions are raw and the idea of someone else playing the character has an 'icky' factor. I think that writing the character off sweeps it under the rug and I don't think that's fair to the character or what Yelchin did with it. Writing him off would be saying 'It's okay, he was a minor character anyway'. I think that 3 years from now, the fans will be more understanding of a recast. They don't need to explain in-universe why Chekov looks different. The vast majority of fans will be aware of Yelchin's passing. The fans will suspend disbelief in this circumstances.

This. If nothing else, a lot of the audience would know (or suspect because "trilogy," and not knowing that Pine and Quinto were advanced money to be "optioned.") that all of the actors were potentially up for re-cast after Beyond anyway. 

Recasting talk reminds me of the reaction I got on a fan page for Charmed back when Shannen Dohorety left that show after 3 seasons when I suggested that her role could be recast by either having Shannen come back for one more episode (if they could talk her into it) and have it made out that in fighting some demon it would change her looks or just not make mention of it at all and move on. When I suggested this you'd thought I was a demon to the people on that fan page. While Rose McGowan won people over as the never known about 4th sister I just thought it didn't seem right in the context of the show. 

I think it would be easier on both fans and the cast of JJ Trek to have Chekov shipped off somewhere else, why not bring in a woman so Zoe isn't all alone with all those guys?