Sign in to follow this  
Comiskeybum

Wrath of Khan Director's Cut (2016)

Got mine from amazon yesterday and popped it in right away.  Its really good, looks fantastic, and sounds great on home theater.  My only negative is why no digital copy?  In 2016 every blu ray you buy should come with a digital code.

Anyone else watched it yet?

It does look stellar, The 4k should be positively orgasmic.

That said, I almost never bother with a digital copy.  

I have my SE 2-disc DVD from 10-12 years ago (which is the same cut of the new version, right?), and I have the theatrical cut on blu ray.   I thought about investing in the new DC BR, but only if the bonus content was worth it.   I have to draw a line somewhere... :laugh:

I am waiting for them to fix the editing problems and then, maybe, I will buy the set because of the great image quality and the new documentary. We will see.

Gus

I am waiting for them to fix the editing problems and then, maybe, I will buy the set because of the great image quality and the new documentary. We will see.

Gus

I read something about the editing issue on DigitalBits.com, and on Trekcore.

Apparently Sulu does an accidental 'double take' now in the Kobayashi Maru sequence: http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/06/one-more-change-in-the-new-star-trek-wrath-of-khan-directors-cut/

Yep, thats is correct. The Kirk/Spock dialogue in the turboshaft scene is also gone. I wonder if they are gonna fix that. I will be waiting LOL

Gus

Yep, thats is correct. The Kirk/Spock dialogue in the turboshaft scene is also gone. I wonder if they are gonna fix that. I will be waiting LOL

Gus

According to the article I read in DigitalBits, the missing dialogue in the turboshaft climbing sequence was a deliberate omission.  The dialogue as I remember in my director's cut DVD was Kirk saying, "That young man (David) is my son," to which Spock replies, "Fascinating." 

Well, I can wait news if Meyer is gonna fix that and so forth, I am not in a hurry.

So Meyer deleted the Kirk / Spock dialogue deliberately, huh. It was a charming moment from the directors cut, I wonder why he has done that.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

Well, I can wait news if Meyer is gonna fix that and so forth, I am not in a hurry.

So Meyer deleted the Kirk / Spock dialogue deliberately, huh. It was a charming moment from the directors cut, I wonder why he has done that.

Gus

Me neither.

It was a bit of a head scratcher when I read it.   Now you just get a shot of them climbing a ladder, because... that's better somehow (?).   This is one of the reasons that I think Director's Cuts and Special Editions are such a hit/miss proposition.    Sometimes they are just what the doctor ordered ("Blade Runner" ST-TMP) and other times I just don't get the reasoning why (the recent DC of "The Martian" added in 10 relatively unimportant min. into the movie; frankly the movie was tighter without them, IMO).  

Until they tweak some of those omissions/mistakes, my 2-disc DVD DC of TWOK will continue to be my definitive version. ;)

41N4D9XGQVL.jpg

I have the ABC version of STAR TREK II on DVD which is basically the directors cut with an alternate (in close ups) version of the Kirk and Saavik turbolift scsnbe which you can see at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRYlPifDUBg

Its the most complete "extended cut" of the movie and I have to thanks Trek historian Bill Williams for recording this on ABC during the 1980s and doing a transfer to DVD-R.

Gus

Gus

I read something about the editing issue on DigitalBits.com, and on Trekcore.

Apparently Sulu does an accidental 'double take' now in the Kobayashi Maru sequence: http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/06/one-more-change-in-the-new-star-trek-wrath-of-khan-directors-cut/

^
And to this point, CBS/Paramount has announced a plan to replace the defective discs as soon as possible (from DigitalBits.com):

“It has come to our attention that there is a slight master assembly error on the recent Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan – Director’s Cut Blu-ray release. Fans who would like a replacement should contact our customer service department at wrathofkhanreturns@tce.com or toll free at 844-898-4365. The corrected product will be shipped free of charge. It is always our intention to distribute the highest quality product and we apologize for any inconvenience this error has caused.”

Source: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/062216_1500

Sign in to follow this