GenesisDevice

50 dead in gay nightclub shooting, Orlando, FL

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36512308

I don't know if any of our substantial queer population live in Orlando but if you do, please mark yourselves safe.

Absolutely no words... apparently motivated by seeing a gay couple kissing in the street in front of his son.

Some people think our fight is over, just because we can get married like normal humans now. If anyone says we don't need Pride anymore give them a big fecking slap from me.

CaptPapa   

First, my most sincere condolences to all the families struck by this horror.

Otherwise - I can't find words strong enough to describe my sadness and anger at this tragedy.  How can we keep letting this happen?

On top of all this we can look forward to certain politicians make disgusting comments about this.

ME

Absolutely no words... apparently motivated by seeing a gay couple kissing in the street in front of his son.

According to what I read, the father of the perpetrator said that about his son. Meaning that the perpetrator was incensed at watching a gay couple kiss. At least that's how I'm reading this:

http://ww2.kqed.org/news/2016/06/12/50-dead-in-florida-nightclub-shooting-worst-in-u-s-history

Regardless, it's an excuse either way. 

A mother of a man missing after the shooting cries on TV in a plea for gun control.

Sorry. If s school full of dead kids doesn't get you gun control, this won't do it either.

Especially not when the Lt. Governor of Texas tweets basically that they had it coming.

Edited by prometheus59650

A mother of a man missing after the shooting cries on TV in a plea for gun control.

Sorry. If s school full of dead kids doesn't get you gun control, this won't do it either.

Especially not when the Lt. Governor of Texas tweets basically that they had it coming.

Yep. A bunch of minority gays. If a bunch of white little kids didn't do it, this for sure ain't gonna do it either. 

maneth   

This is just so sad. Doesn't matter who or what the victims were, they were human beings. What a tragedy.

Sim   

Very sorry to hear about this. All best wishes and prayers go to the victims and their families.

From what I gathered on the news, the perpetrator was apparently driven by a mix of homophobic hate and islamist rage, whileas it's still uncertain in which way both were connected. And yes, it didn't take more than a couple of hours before the first politicians would start politizing the massacre.

I hope the victims can mourn in peace, even when there happens to be presidential campaigning time.

I'm not sure it's islamist rage at all. It looks like simply homophobic rage. His religion might have upped his anger, but people are calling it an act of islamic terrorism, and I'm not entirely sure that applies. 

My wife and I woke up in our hotel to hear this first thing this morning.   I was both saddened and sickened.   Another senseless massacre of human beings; and the horrific knowledge that NOTHING WHATSOEVER will be done to try to prevent this in the future.  If the slaughter of toddlers at Sandy Hook didn't FORCE change?  I'm convinced that NOTHING will.

Things really need to change.  But I also am also grimly pragmatic enough to know that they won't

I don't know if it's organized Islamic terrorism or a lone homophobe, and I don't care.  It's a hideous crime and so many lives were shattered, destroyed and traumatized in one night.   And any assh@le with a 'cause' (esp. a religious-based bigotry) and enough cash to buy an assault weapon has carte blanche to inflict this kind of carnage whenever they want.   I see the perpetrator of this crime as being from the same pile of s#!t that begat the abortion clinic assassin Robert Dear last November.   Different 'faith'; same result. 

Twitter is alive with hate. People couldn't start cheering fast enough. 

http://thoughtcatalog.com/jacob-geers/2016/06/here-are-all-the-people-applauding-the-orlando-gay-club-shooter/

To sum it up: Fifty less paedophiles in the world, so glad they shot perverts and not innocent people, someone is finally doing God's work, and let's not forget Donald Trump's "thanks for telling me I was right". 

Religious leaders and elected officials are tripping over themselves to say we had it coming. Sehlat is right. No one will care about a club full of dead faggots. They'll say the usual empty words and offer the usual hollow prayers but nothing will be DONE.

And then there's this: http://sdgln.com/news/2016/06/12/car-filled-weapons-chemicals-found-way-la-pride

A man with a car full of weapons and ingredients for pipe bombs was arrested on his way to LA Pride. We almost had a repeat performance the very same day.

http://thoughtcatalog.com/jacob-geers/2016/06/here-are-all-the-people-applauding-the-orlando-gay-club-shooter/

To sum it up: Fifty less paedophiles in the world, so glad they shot perverts and not innocent people, someone is finally doing God's work, and let's not forget Donald Trump's "thanks for telling me I was right". 

Religious leaders and elected officials are tripping over themselves to say we had it coming. Sehlat is right. No one will care about a club full of dead faggots. They'll say the usual empty words and offer the usual hollow prayers but nothing will be DONE.

And then there's this: http://sdgln.com/news/2016/06/12/car-filled-weapons-chemicals-found-way-la-pride

A man with a car full of weapons and ingredients for pipe bombs was arrested on his way to LA Pride. We almost had a repeat performance the very same day.

This.

And then there's people like Huckabee and Cruz who usually can't be fast enough to spread/incite hate towards us LGBT folks but are now all suddenly "praying for the victims". We certainly don't need ANYTHING from THEIR corner.

scenario   

The governor of Florida said on CNN that the attacks had nothing to do with the people all being Gay. It's only because the attacker was Muslim. 

Also, the attackers x wife had reported him to the police with assault and battery multiple times and he was never convicted of a felony. If he had been, he would not have been able to buy the weapons. Another case where ignoring violence against women has lead to something worse. 

Sim   

I'm not sure it's islamist rage at all. It looks like simply homophobic rage. His religion might have upped his anger, but people are calling it an act of islamic terrorism, and I'm not entirely sure that applies. 

Only watched one German news channel, and they mentioned "contradicting information", on one side, the perpetrator's father who said his son "hates gays", on the other side, information by authorities that he had been known as an IS sympathizer, though probably without direct contact with IS. But that was last night on tv, haven't checked if there is new information.

Don't think it's "contradicting" either; someone full of homophobic hate will be drawn to ideologies that affirm and encourage that hate, such as IS. And likewise, religious-political extremist ideology will further increase such hate.

But yeah, "islamist terrorism" sounds a bit exaggerated when it's just one isolated perpetrator without accomplices, who's acting independently on his personal mix of hate, no matter if he believes he followed IS's call to arms or not.

And what did I have to read? Trump demanded Obama's resignation?! WTF? Can't this asshole shut up at least once?

And of course this anti-queer hate is just disgusting, no matter where it comes from. I want to express my heartfelt solidarity with the LGBT community.

The governor of Florida said on CNN that the attacks had nothing to do with the people all being Gay. It's only because the attacker was Muslim. 

Also, the attackers x wife had reported him to the police with assault and battery multiple times and he was never convicted of a felony. If he had been, he would not have been able to buy the weapons. Another case where ignoring violence against women has lead to something worse. 

Sorry, you don't go into a gay club armed with an assault rifle because you don't hate and want to murder gay people. This was deliberately targeted against a queer venue.

Sim   

Sorry, you don't go into a gay club armed with an assault rifle because you don't hate and want to murder gay people. This was deliberately targeted against a queer venue.

Don't want to speak for scenario, but I think he wanted to point out the governor's hypocrisy, who apparently ignored the homophobic hate to rather bash another minority.

scenario   

Don't want to speak for scenario, but I think he wanted to point out the governor's hypocrisy, who apparently ignored the homophobic hate to rather bash another minority.

Thank you Sim. You're absolutely right. I cannot stand the far right in the U.S. that cannot see the obvious if it doesn't fit their idea of what's rights. People who hate gays are coming out of the wood works. The Lieutenant Governor of Texas's first comment about the mass murder was "reap what you have sewn." 

And the man arrested in LA was named James Howell.    The horrific monstrousness we saw in Orlando isn't limited to radical Islam.   These people, by their actions, are the 'monsters' among us.   Both sides see themselves as 'avengers' of their beliefs (much like the son of a b!tch who shot up the Planned Parenthood facility last November); I see these people (and I use the term loosely) as monsters; hate-filled predators living among us who are unfit to be called human beings. 

Reminds me of this:

LANGUAGE WARNING

The bigots on the far-right and ISIS have more or less the same agenda.  It wouldn't surprise me if they joined forces somehow (well then again, it would; the far right here in the US don't trust any 'non-whites').  They're ALL hate-filled, repressed ammo-sexuals who are all about anarchy, applauding cruelty, killing and hating anyone else who doesn't fall in line with their 'beliefs.'   Besides fashion sense and musical tastes, what separates these two?  Not a whole hell of a lot.  

It makes my heart sick that I have to share a planet (or a millennium) with these floating turds ejected from the human genome.  

Horrible. Been reading online what happened in Orlando. Beyond belief. 

Article by the always good Gary Younge:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/commentisfree/2016/jun/12/orlando-shooting-reaction-us-gun-laws-islam-homophobia

^
Good article.

And the man arrested in LA was named James Howell.    The horrific monstrousness we saw in Orlando isn't limited to radical Islam.   These people, by their actions, are the 'monsters' among us.   Both sides see themselves as 'avengers' of their beliefs (much like the son of a b!tch who shot up the Planned Parenthood facility last November); I see these people (and I use the term loosely) as monsters; hate-filled predators living among us who are unfit to be called human beings. 

And this has been and will pretty much continue to be ignored because white guy. 

C.Lovett   

My thoughts go out to the victims of this tragedy...and IMO(In My Opinion) we should start hugging each other and not shooting each other!

Edited by C.Lovett

scenario   

Totally senseless killings. The attacker was clearly motivated by hate. From all accounts he was a mentally ill man with a lot of anger. He was looking for someone to hate. Religion in the U.S, gave him a target. Religious extremists have been spewing hatred against the gay people for decades. Religious moderates have been going along with it with less angry and hateful words but they still agree. It doesn't matter if it is Christians or Muslims, they all spew hatred against gays.

It just frustrates me when preachers have been saying gay people are evil from the pulpit. They all pedophiles. They are hiding in bathrooms to attack your women and children. And then when some mentally ill person takes their words of hatred to heart, they are shocked that something like this could happen. Then the story changed to the violence is because people have turned against God. 

Sim   

My thoughts go out to the victims of this tragedy...and IMO(In My Opinion) we should start hugging each other and not shooting each other!

^ This!

^
This.

A big hug feels a hell of a lot better than a bullet.   The people in Pulse were in their own club, doing their own thing and minding their own business.  If you don't approve?   First, that's YOUR problem not anyone else's, and secondly, you have the right to look the other way. 

C.Lovett   

^
This.

A big hug feels a hell of a lot better than a bullet.   The people in Pulse were in their own club, doing their own thing and minding their own business.  If you don't approve?   First, that's YOUR problem not anyone else's, and secondly, you have the right to look the other way. 

Agreed, if you don't like it....THEN DON'T SAY ANYTHING OR DO ANYTHING THAT WILL CAUSE HARM TO OTHERS!!!!!!

I had a bad day today - after an absolutely lovely weekend with friends. The best kind of weekend, just fun, all the way through. Then news of this.  

[Long rant deleted]

Then I saw this vigil on Old Compton Street in London and I felt a tiny bit better. 

https://t.co/hGkDKb1fwq