Sim

The UEFA Euro Cup thread (soccer/football)

Sim   

I truly despair at being English sometimes.

You and me both.....horrendous game! :(

I fell asleep at 8pm, so I didn't see it ... but it was a surprise to learn Iceland won.

Well, Wales is still in the tournament.

Benedict   

As a Pompey supporter I'm used to drivel but last night was one of the worst games since the Algeria match in the 2010 World Cup. I've long accepted that we'll probably never be world class or win a major cup (I'll write this in the vain hope I jinx it and they do win one day) but it's just maddening.

Well done to Iceland, I like plucky underdogs and for a country that has 330,000 odd people living there to beat a team with the biggest value in terms of players (apparently so sayseth the Daily Mail) shows grit.

Might just go ahead with plans to seek residence in Germany. What worries me, a little, is that we have Malta in the World Cup qualifiers a team that previously I'd thought we'd beat comfortably but now I'm not so sure, ha. (Oh and Lithuania and Slovenia).

At least Roy quit sharpish (I half imagined he would as the final whistle went). I wonder if he did it in the toilets like Keegan did after Germany won the last game at the old Wembley.

Sim   

As a Pompey supporter I'm used to drivel but last night was one of the worst games since the Algeria match in the 2010 World Cup. I've long accepted that we'll probably never be world class or win a major cup (I'll write this in the vain hope I jinx it and they do win one day) but it's just maddening.

Well done to Iceland, I like plucky underdogs and for a country that has 330,000 odd people living there to beat a team with the biggest value in terms of players (apparently so sayseth the Daily Mail) shows grit.

Might just go ahead with plans to seek residence in Germany. What worries me, a little, is that we have Malta in the World Cup qualifiers a team that previously I'd thought we'd beat comfortably but now I'm not so sure, ha. (Oh and Lithuania and Slovenia).

At least Roy quit sharpish (I half imagined he would as the final whistle went). I wonder if he did it in the toilets like Keegan did after Germany won the last game at the old Wembley.

Leaving Europe twice within one week, eh?

Have to say, I do feel a little sorry for the English team, but on the other side, Iceland is such a wonderful underdog, they just deserve a little fame.

Icelandic Black Metal Commentator. 

Pretty Funny....

https://vimeo.com/171957152

Just wanted to add that I went to the Chile vs Mexico quarterfinals match in which Mexico completely disintegrated. Living in the San Francisco Bay Area you can imagine that the majority of spectators at the game were Mexicans...horrified that they were witnessing one of their team's worst beatings in decades. I personally could not believe it. 

I suppose from a different perspective I can say that I watched the Copa America winners in action. 

Sim   

Pretty Funny....

Just wanted to add that I went to the Chile vs Mexico quarterfinals match in which Mexico completely disintegrated. Living in the San Francisco Bay Area you can imagine that the majority of spectators at the game were Mexicans...horrified that they were witnessing one of their team's worst beatings in decades. I personally could not believe it. 

I suppose from a different perspective I can say that I watched the Copa America winners in action. 

When will be the finals? Or did they take place already? Has Chile won the cup?

I think I heard something about Messi to finish his career after Chile beat Argentinia.

Pretty Funny....

I think I heard something about Messi to finish his career after Chile beat Argentinia.

It was this weekend. Chile beat Argentina in penalty kicks. The score was 0-0 until then. Messi missed his penalty kick. It reminded me of Baggio in the 1994 World Cup against Brazil. I think he was so demoralized that he said he was retiring from international play the next day.

Sim   

Pretty Funny....

It was this weekend. Chile beat Argentina in penalty kicks. The score was 0-0 until then. Messi missed his penalty kick. It reminded me of Baggio in the 1994 World Cup against Brazil. I think he was so demoralized that he said he was retiring from international play the next day.

Ah, thanks for the information! :)

Baggio... I remember that. Watched that game with my aunt, uncle and cousins on holidays in Spain. I remember there was quite a bit schadenfreude, as the Italians/Baggio had bragged a lot.

Tonight's going to be Poland vs. Portugal IIRC, in the Euro Cup. Guess that's an interesting pairing.

Sim   

Two days ago: Poland vs. Portugal, 3:5 after penalties. Was an okay game, both teams looked like they were on the same level, so I feel a bit sad for Poland they lost in the end.

Yesterday: Wales vs. Belgium 3:1 -- WTF! I'm so happy for Wales they made it! Power to the underdogs! :D

Now I'm preparing myself mentally for the top match Italy vs. Germany tonight ... so Germany has met Italy in international tournaments 12 times so far, but did not win a single time? Italy is a nightmare opponent for the German team... I still remember how wrecked my nerves were 10 years ago, in the World Cup semi-final.

My guess is if Germany manages to beat Italy this time, they'll win the tournament. Big IF that is ...

Part of me hopes we lose because the LAST thing I want is a Germany vs. France semi-final. How about NO. *cringe*

Sim   

Part of me hopes we lose because the LAST thing I want is a Germany vs. France semi-final. How about NO. *cringe*

There would be no shame in losing against Italy. They're a great team (although I don't quite like their style).

Sim   

OMGOMGOMG... that was so nerve-wrecking! (For everybody who didn't watch: Germany won 6:5 after penalties.)

So many great opportunities, two amazing goals, two really strong teams ... and then ever changing luck during the penalties ... argh! But a good ending.

Mr. Picard, I feel with you ... now you'll either have to wish for France losing against Iceland (bad), or it will be Germany vs. France in the semi-finals (even worse). :(

OMGOMGOMG... that was so nerve-wrecking! (For everybody who didn't watch: Germany won 6:5 after penalties.)

So many great opportunities, two amazing goals, two really strong teams ... and then ever changing luck during the penalties ... argh! But a good ending.

Mr. Picard, I feel with you ... now you'll either have to wish for France losing against Iceland (bad), or it will be Germany vs. France in the semi-finals (even worse). :(

I was eating my pillow by the time they got to the last three penalties. I mean WHAT WAS HAPPENING. I'm not a fan of Italy's soccer style at all, the game was way too tactical for my taste (if I want to watch only tactics I watch a chess game), I expected penalties... but certainly not like this. Oh dear. I think everyone who was watching had a "I CAN'T LOOK AT THIS ANYMORE MAKE IT STOP PLEASE" face. 

And yeah. Part of me is happy that we advanced, part of me loathes the idea... I can't watch Germany vs. France, I think I'll just go to bed. I honestly can't stand it. But then there's still Iceland. I would actually be happy for Iceland if they manage to beat France today, and not just because it would spare me the whole Germany vs France thing. I really like these guys and their way of playing soccer. They aren't pretty with the ball, but they sure have ALL the enthusiasm and love for the game and that is all that matters.

Sim   

The finale, Portugal vs. France 1:0.

That was pretty thrilling after all. And what a drama! When Ronaldo was hurt and had to be exchanged after 25 minutes. All the more I feel Portugal deserves the cup... they have so often been told they're just Ronaldo and they're nothing without him -- and now they made it without him! Also nice to be able to be happy with Portugal without the side-effect of Ronaldo's ego getting quite the boost it would have gotten, had he been responsible for the victory.

And they did play well, IMO. You could almost feel how bitterly they wanted the cup. As a national team that so often scored as #2 or #3, it was nice to see they finally, eventually became #1 too. :)

As for Germany losing against France in the semi-finale, I guess that was okay. Beating Italy was heroic enough to say Germany played well in the tournament. Against France... the last tiny spark was just missing on the German side, and add bad luck to it. They had quite a few good opportunities, but it never worked out. France was really good too, and luck is just part of the game sometimes, I guess.

I have only one thing to say about the final:

image.thumb.gif.4c9102f17cef7c9e6f03d645

I saw Portugal's win tonight while out with my wife (big screen TV at the restaurant).  No offense to any Portuguese members, but I second Picard's statement. :P

That was pretty thrilling after all. And what a drama! When Ronaldo was hurt and had to be exchanged after 25 minutes. All the more I feel Portugal deserves the cup... they have so often been told they're just Ronaldo and they're nothing without him -- and now they made it without him! Also nice to be able to be happy with Portugal without the side-effect of Ronaldo's ego getting quite the boost it would have gotten, had he been responsible for the victory.

He seems to be taking the win as if he was the cause of it. I get that he's the star player and all but I do take pleasure in knowing that they won without him. 

Sim   

He seems to be taking the win as if he was the cause of it. I get that he's the star player and all but I do take pleasure in knowing that they won without him. 

Yes... the Portuguese team has proven they can win a cup even without Ronaldo. Good for them!

Some players have stated that they DID win "for Ronaldo", so I guess they were pretty much okay with him taking up all the spotlight (again)... I do feel sorry for Ronaldo though, I know how much it can hurt when someone slams into you at full speed and hits your knee (I played soccer myself for a while when I was young, my knees are pretty much ruined because of it). That REALLY hurts, and he wasn't acting, and I felt bad for him because he REALLY wanted to help his team win and he tried and tried to continue to play but it was just no use.

Also, I loved how he shoved his coach around, lmfao.

The final was AAAARGH for me as an avid France supporter but it DID have quite a few entertaining moments. Still think Portugal didn't exactly deserve to be anywhere near the final tho, not with how they played throughout most of the tournament but ah well. It's wonderful for them that they finally won the cup, I ain't mad.

Sim   

Some players have stated that they DID win "for Ronaldo", so I guess they were pretty much okay with him taking up all the spotlight (again)... I do feel sorry for Ronaldo though, I know how much it can hurt when someone slams into you at full speed and hits your knee (I played soccer myself for a while when I was young, my knees are pretty much ruined because of it). That REALLY hurts, and he wasn't acting, and I felt bad for him because he REALLY wanted to help his team win and he tried and tried to continue to play but it was just no use.

The final was AAAARGH for me as an avid France supporter but it DID have quite a few entertaining moments. Still think Portugal didn't exactly deserve to be anywhere near the final tho, not with how they played throughout most of the tournament but ah well. It's wonderful for them that they finally won the cup, I ain't mad.

Haha, yes, the way Ronaldo totally had kittens when Potugal won, and bumped in the coach, was nice to see... poor guy was so sad when he had to leave, so at least he had solace. :D

And yes, I guess Portugal was lucky with all the opponents they got on the way into the finale... looks like all the really hard teams knocked out each other, before Portugal finally met France. They might have been less lucky, had they had to defeat Italy or Germany, or maybe even Spain before. But well, that's how the tournament works.

Haha, yes, the way Ronaldo totally had kittens when Potugal won, and bumped in the coach, was nice to see... poor guy was so sad when he had to leave, so at least he had solace. :D

And yes, I guess Portugal was lucky with all the opponents they got on the way into the finale... looks like all the really hard teams knocked out each other, before Portugal finally met France. They might have been less lucky, had they had to defeat Italy or Germany, or maybe even Spain before. But well, that's how the tournament works.

Some folks blame the new rules for the whole thing - that it's possible to advance without winning even one single game in the group stage and all.