Sim

The UEFA Euro Cup thread (soccer/football)

Sim   

Okay, maybe we need this thread.

Yesterday, the match France/Romania opened the Euro Cup. France won 2:1. I liked the deciding goal in the last minute, by Payet.

Just watched Switzerland/Albania. For the crass outsider status of Albania, the team didn't do bad IMO. But in the end, it was deserved Swiss won 1:0.

What about you? Are you following the Euro Cup? :)

I want to watch every game (at least the ones on TV), but I'm not sure if I'll be able to manage that. 

I support France (naturally), Germany and England (of course). Aside from that I have a habit of fancying the underdog, which means I'd have loved to see Albania win against Switzerland earlier. And they almost did it. Almost.

Last night involved a lot of yelling at the TV for me though. It took the French guys way too long to finally score that second goal. ;) 

Sim   

I want to watch every game (at least the ones on TV), but I'm not sure if I'll be able to manage that. 

I support France (naturally), Germany and England (of course). Aside from that I have a habit of fancying the underdog, which means I'd have loved to see Albania win against Switzerland earlier. And they almost did it. Almost.

Last night involved a lot of yelling at the TV for me though. It took the French guys way too long to finally score that second goal. ;) 

I'd love to invite you and Jean-Luc for a match, we could have pizza and beer... but it's hard to find time and nerves with two kids... and I know Jean-Luc has his duties too, his ship and all that. But please let him know I thought of you guys. :)

Yeah, the underdog is always nice... but I also like many other teams. I guess, in the end, I just care if the match is thrilling. Many good opportunities? Narrow result? I'm all for it. :P Now watching Wales/Slovakia. Not exactly a top match. Two underdogs, I guess... though the Slovakians got some credit for defeating the world champion Germany.

I'd love to invite you and Jean-Luc for a match, we could have pizza and beer... but it's hard to find time and nerves with two kids... and I know Jean-Luc has his duties too, his ship and all that. But please let him know I thought of you guys. :)

Yeah, the underdog is always nice... but I also like many other teams. I guess, in the end, I just care if the match is thrilling. Many good opportunities? Narrow result? I'm all for it. :P Now watching Wales/Slovakia. Not exactly a top match. Two underdogs, I guess... though the Slovakians got some credit for defeating the world champion Germany.

I'm cheering for Wales because, well, United Kingdom for the win, yo! 

And thanks! We'd love to come over but maybe it would be easier if you came over to us - for one thing, we have only one (mostly quiet and calm) kid, haha. I don't drink alcohol but I'd definitely love me some pizza, that's for sure. ;) And NO ONE dares disturb Jean-Luc when the French play. BELIEVE ME. No one who wants to live calls... unless the ship falls apart or something. Then yes, but everything else can wait. He doesn't even have to SAY it. The crew KNOWS. :P 

For me the time problem is more one of "when do I do my Sir Patrick stuff". I work only in the mornings, which is perfect for this kind of thing where everything takes place in the afternoon/evening but watching soccer for hours is REALLY time-consuming - and it doesn't go well with fan fic either, it gives me a "you have to stop editing at this particular hour" deadline and I hate that. But then there won't always be three games on one day, it's just the beginning of the tournament that gets so  "exhausting".

I'm really apprehensive about the England game later. It's going to get ugly, I just know it. *flails* 

Sim   

I"m going to the Copa America Quarterfinals next weekend. That's probably Argentina!!! Messi is a monster. 

Nice! Is Copa America the Americas' equivalent to the Euro Cup? At any rate, Argentinia is a great team! Still remember the World Cup finals. Tough competition for Germany! :)

The Euro Cup sometimes feels a bit incomplete... it's basically "the World Cup without the South American teams". :P

The match Germany vs. Ukraine yesterday was nice, IMO. Amazing return for the wounded Schweinsteiger (shot the 2:0 in the very last minute, shortly after having entered the game!).

And now I just watched Spain vs. Czech Republic. That was okay ... though I'd have loved to see a few more goals. But still, the 1:0 for Spain was deserved, IMO.

There's definitely room for improvement when it comes to Germany's defense though (I loved Boateng's move but really, this should not happen)... but I'm glad we won, and I'm also happy for Schweinsteiger. He really deserved that goal.

Today's games have so far just bored me. I'm watching Ireland vs. Sweden and it's a complete snorefest.

I"m going to the Copa America Quarterfinals next weekend. That's probably Argentina!!! Messi is a monster. 

Nice! Is Copa America the Americas' equivalent to the Euro Cup?

Yes!!!!

Sim   

Croatia vs. Czech Republic: Whoa!

Amazing the Czechs managed to end it 2:2, after the Croatians had been leading 2:0 for a while. Good for them! That was certainly thrilling!

And sad about the flare and firecracker attacks... I wonder if this will have further consequences for the Croatian team.

Edited by Sim

Croatia vs. Czech Republic: Whoa!

Amazing the Czechs managed to end it 2:2, after the Croatians had been leading 2:0 for a while. Good for them! That was certainly thrilling!

And sad about the flare and firecracker attacks... I wonder if this will have further consequences for the Croatian team.

It was an interesting game in more than one regard, that's for sure. The goal scoring was definitely more interesting than the snorefest that was Germany last night. Why did I even stay up for that...?

But then, FRANCE are through and I am VERY pleased about that. Naturally.

tumblr_m73xb5a8Ze1qmmz00.gif

I'm also proud of Iceland for that 1-1 against "mighty" Portugal btw. Way to go!

Sim   

Just watched the 8th final match France vs. Ireland.

Whoo! That was great! That France was behind for the first 57 minutes made it kind of thrilling. But they were clearly the better team, so it was deserved they shot two consecutive goals. The last minutes were still thrilling, many more good opportunities for the French.

My poor nerves...! That game was just so unnecessarily upsetting right from the start. I had just sat down with a nice little bunch of raspberries and then suddenly all hell broke loose when Ireland scored that early goal. Arghhhhh! I was NOT happy.

But hey, France won. And I'm pleased it was Griezmann who scored the goals, he's one of my favorites. 

I'm in no way prepared for yet ANOTHER game now with a team I support but... Germany is next. I'm not ready. AAAAAH.

Sim   

My poor nerves...! That game was just so unnecessarily upsetting right from the start. I had just sat down with a nice little bunch of raspberries and then suddenly all hell broke loose when Ireland scored that early goal. Arghhhhh! I was NOT happy.

But hey, France won. And I'm pleased it was Griezmann who scored the goals, he's one of my favorites. 

I'm in no way prepared for yet ANOTHER game now with a team I support but... Germany is next. I'm not ready. AAAAAH.

Looks like the match Germany vs. Slovakia wasn't a test for your nerves. :D

Germany controlled the game all the way, and I guess it's not just national pride or something when I say they gave an amazing performance. The 3:0 result was well deserved! =)

Germany controlled the game all the way, and I guess it's not just national pride or something when I say they gave an amazing performance. The 3:0 result was well deserved! =)

It wasn't a test, nah... only when Özil messed up that penalty. (Something like that CAN upset an entire game, even when you're in the lead.) But we were REALLY good, I agree. THAT's the kind of soccer I love to watch.

AND MY FAVORITE GERMAN PLAYER SCORED A GOAL. I'm still so happy for him!

JulianDraxler-1.thumb.png.e833c7214548be

Julian Draxler is so CUTE. Did I mention cute? Much too young for my taste, of course (he's ten years younger than I am), but still, really cute.

Edited by Mr.Picard

Sim   

It wasn't a test, nah... only when Özil messed up that penalty. (Something like that CAN upset an entire game, even when you're in the lead.) But we were REALLY good, I agree. THAT's the kind of soccer I love to watch.

Julian Draxler is so CUTE. Did I mention cute? Much too young for my taste, of course (he's ten years younger than I am), but still, really cute.

Ah, I can imagine he's got quite a few fans who find him cute! =)

I was happy for him, too ... he is the youngest player in the team (isn't he?) and for the first time scored a goal in an international tournament (didn't he?), and he had the chance to prove Löw right with his decision to let him play. Good for him! :)

I'm now looking foward to the match Spain vs. Italy later this afternoon ... two really strong teams, two favorites meeting each other so early in the tournament -- 8th final --, both certainly very determined not to go home so early... that promises to be a very entertaining match!

And didn't these two teams meet in the finale four years ago?

^
One can always admire beauty.  My wife and I are both capable of having our heads occasionally turned by a pretty younger person (usually we joke about it to each other afterward).   As the saying goes, 'no harm, no foul.'   It's your eyes, not your heart... 
;)

Sim   

^
One can always admire beauty.  My wife and I are both capable of having our heads occasionally turned by a pretty younger person (usually we joke about it to each other afterward).   As the saying goes, 'no harm, no foul.'   It's your eyes, not your heart... 
;)

Like Miles told Julian: "I'm married, not blind, you know?". :P

^
;)

My wife and I used to have a running joke about that whenever she'd call and tell me she has an after school 'meeting'... :giggle:

^
;)

LMFAO! Yes. (Although I have a feeling that Jean-Luc would NOT be amused, haha. "Who is this man, Alexaaaahnder?" "A soccer player... cute, huh?" "Humm. If you say so. [Grumpy Picard Face]" "What's wrong?" "Nothing. Nothing at all.")

But he really is cute. Now, if only he was 40 years older... ;)

^
;)

LMFAO! Yes. (Although I have a feeling that Jean-Luc would NOT be amused, haha. "Who is this man, Alexaaaahnder?" "A soccer player... cute, huh?" "Humm. If you say so. [Grumpy Picard Face]" "What's wrong?" "Nothing. Nothing at all.")

Too bad we don't (yet) have time travel, right? :P

^
;)

Too bad we don't (yet) have time travel, right? :P

It's probably for the better... no need to invite (even purely theoretical) competition for poor Jean-Luc. ;) 

Come on the England......a decent win against Iceland tonight would be nice!

I second this. The Sir Patrick fan in me supports England so much... but I really have to force myself not to cheer for Iceland because I really love these guys, they've come so far and it's their first tournament and no one expected them to even make it through the first game without ending up like big losers.

And I love their commentators.

Sim   

Italy vs. Spain 2:0 ... great match!

The Spanish were rather disappointing in the first half, but in the last 30 minutes or so, they tried hard. Didn't work out for them... but it became really nerve wrecking! :)

Looks like Spain's golden years are over... out in the preliminaries 2 years ago, and now in the eighth final.

And Germany will meet Italy in the quarter finale next weekend. Oh my, that's gonna be hard. I still remember the nerve wreck I was after the semi-finals 2006... but then, I thought the same about Brazil vs. Germany two years ago, and look what happened. :P

Come on the England......a decent win against Iceland tonight would be nice!

I second this. The Sir Patrick fan in me supports England so much... but I really have to force myself not to cheer for Iceland because I really love these guys, they've come so far and it's their first tournament and no one expected them to even make it through the first game without ending up like big losers.

And I love their commentators.

Yeah, I can't really decide whom to root for in that match, either ... I wouldn't mind in either case.

I'm not a fan of Italy's way of playing soccer. Too much acting sometimes. And yes, it won't be pleasant to play against them, it tends to make me very nervous as well because they do have the potential to beat us, and have done so quite a few times in the past. Ah well, what's done is done.

And yeah, Spain really need to take a good look at themselves now.