thestargaze

Question about the collections

So, I didn't know where I could post this. Here it goes, ..

My question is that is the difference between dvd and blue-ray? Is there a difference between the two in quality? I'm a mac user so I don't use blue-ray and I don't think I can use it on my computer (which is a shame). What do I need to use blue-ray? Im thinking of getting the series but unsure if I should get dvds or blue-ray. Is blue-ray dying? Or is the dvds the safe card?

I plan to get all the series but I'm worries that Voyager and DS9 isn't being released to blue-ray (I haven't seen any mention about it). Will the movies also be converted?

First off, welcome and post often.

Second, my guess would be to put this in "General" or in "The Promenade," but, no worries, a mod will move it.

Last, assuming you have your laptop or tv capable of hi-def, I recommend Blu now and always. Netflix streams TOS, TNG and  X-Files and, even as compressed as they are the difference between DVD and HD is remarkable.

Blu-Ray is on the decline only insofar as physical media is on the decline, but both will yet be around for years to come. HD content is the standard and that's here to stay. To use Blu, you need an HD capable monitor or television and a Blu-Ray Disc player, both of which are pretty cheap these days. 

Hi Stargaze! Nice to meet you!

Prometheus told you the most important facts ... I'd just add a few more details, in case that's a bit complicated:

You remember the good old tube tv sets? That was SD, which in America means 640x480 pixels on the screen.

In the 00s, along with the rise of flatscreen tv sets, a better format was introduced: HD (High Definition), which provides a better image, as it is 1920x1080 pixels on the screen. It really looks a lot better than the old SD resolution, when you're using a tv set or monitor that can display that amount of pixels.

All that is not directly connected to the aspect ratio -- you got 4:3 SD and HD, just like there is both 16:9 SD and HD. The aspect ratio is no certain indication for the resolution.

The old VHS tapes were still for the old SD format. There is no HD on VHS tapes. DVDs are the old format too, SD, 640x480 pixels. That's a bit outdated by now.

Blu Rays provide HD, 1920x1080 pixels. It's the standard today. So to be on the safe side, you should get those. They look considerably better than DVDs (assuming you have a HD tv set or monitor, as Prometheus said).

But in order to play Blu Rays, you need a Blu Ray player. A DVD drive/player cannot play Blu Rays. Though a Blu Ray drive/player can play the older DVDs. If you have none in your laptop, you can probably easily buy an external Blu Ray player to connect to your notebook via USB. But you should make sure your notebook's display is capable of displaying 1920x1080 pixels.

Star Trek TOS and TNG are available in HD on Blu Ray. They are in high resolution, but in the old 4:3 aspect ratio (no widescreen).

ENT is available in widescreen 16:9, and HD on Blu Ray too.

But DS9 and VOY have not been upgraded to HD so far, and have thus not been published on Blu Ray; they are only available in the old SD, 640x480 format on DVD.

All the movies have been released on HD Blu Ray, too, so you can see them in high definition if you buy the Blu Rays rather than DVDs.

Edited by Sim

Sim and Prometheus have given you every fact you could possibly need to make your decision.  The visual detail on BluRay is a noticeable improvement but it doesn't change the stories.  For me, although the picture is better, it really doesn't matter.  The stories and characters are what I care about and I think I could watch a 9 inch TV and still enjoy the shows.  (And we do have a 55 inch HD TV.)

I'll leave this here in this forum since the question has been answered so well.

Edited by Mutai Sho-Rin

Thank you! 

Why are they not updating the computer with blue-ray drivers? I find it a bit annoying that I can only play it via an external driver. I would like to play these on my computer.  It would be easier to have these videos formatted it into something I can store on my computer or USB drivers etc. Can't these high definition videos be sold as avi files or something? 

Edited by thestargaze

Thank you! 

Why are they not updating the computer with blue-ray drivers? I find it a bit annoying that I can only play it via an external driver. I would like to play these on my computer.  It would be easier to have these videos formatted it into something I can store on my computer or USB drivers etc. Can't these high definition videos be sold as avi files or something? 

Hi Stargaze!

As far as I know, there are some new computer models (especially desktops) that do come with internal Blu Ray drives. Or at least you can ask to have such an upgrade.

Personally, I have an internal Blu Ray drive in my Windows desktop, but it's not a brand computer, I chose the different parts seperately and assembled it manually.

I guess many newer computers, especially notebooks, come without DVD or Blu Ray drives, because these drives take a lot of space and energy, and most people watch Blu Rays on their tv set, rather than at the computer anyway. And for data, most people use the internet or USB devices these days, most software is for download -- no drive required.

This, and then, a growing number of people doesn't use physical media like DVDs or Blu Rays anymore, but rather directly stream their movies and tv shows from the internet, on services like Netflix and the like. So I guess the computer manufacturers assume the average costumer doesn't really need a DVD/Blu Ray drive in his computer.

But as I said, I don't think it's expensive to upgrade your desktop with an internal Blu Ray drive. It's just no longer default.

They don't sell the shows or movies in avi or other data file formats. You can rip them from DVD or Blu Ray and convert into that format, but doing so would be illegal, when it involves circumventing a copy protection, and most DVDs and Blu Rays are copy protected.

But maybe streaming from the internet is an option for you: Services like Netflix, Amazon Prime or iTunes Store. They offer many tv shows and movies, even in HD when available. But in some cases, you can't just buy individual movies or shows, but you have to subscribe and pay a monthly fee.

I could be wrong, but I think iTunes Store even allows downloading purchased episodes and movies, and you can buy them individually, without a monthly fee. But I have no idea if they offer Star Trek shows and movies.

At any rate, requirement for this is a sufficiently fast broadband internet connection.

Edited by Sim

If you're looking for a digital copy of a movie, you can get it from buying the Blu-ray movie disk.  Notice the top of this DVD cover image says: "BLU-RAY + DVD + DIGITAL COPY".  This means you can legally download a digital copy of the movie to your computer.  Instructions how to do this are inside the DVD case.  So $15-$25 will get you a Blu-ray DVD disk, a standard DVD disk and a legal digital copy of the movie.

stid-cover.jpg