GustavoLeao

How Paramount Will Destroy BEYOND Worldwide

317 posts in this topic

You never know.

I am pleased with the reviews, maybe I am gonna see this one in the cinemas in September after all.

Never say never.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

What just happened? Did Gus just snap?

You never know.

I am pleased with the reviews, maybe I am gonna see this one in the cinemas in September after all.

Never say never.

Gus

nFSebim.gif :P

What just happened? Did Gus just snap?

I think its a pretty accurate description. LOL

Gus

People here in Brazil complained so much and the brazilian fandom even did petitions to boycott the movie that Paramount Brasil got scared and will be doing previews of the movie in Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo next week. Fans appear to be pleased for not having to wait till Septmember 1st to watch the movie. As for me I am not going. Will pass on this one and just pre-ordered the Blu-Ray on Amazon (thanks for the tip, TrekCore). I know its a good movie, but I always be not a fan of JJ TREK, even if its good JJ TREK.

Have a great time, folks !

Gus

People here in Brazil complained so much and the brazilian fandom even did petitions to boycott the movie that Paramount Brasil got scared and will be doing previews of the movie in Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo next week. Fans appear to be pleased for not having to wait till Septmember 1st to watch the movie. As for me I am not going. Will pass on this one and just pre-ordered the Blu-Ray on Amazon (thanks for the tip, TrekCore). I know its a good movie, but I always be not a fan of JJ TREK, even if its good JJ TREK.

C'mon Gus... Where is your faith of the heart?  

OBS: I'm a constellation class starship now!!! :)

C'mon Gus... Where is your faith of the heart?  

OBS: I'm a constellation class starship now!!! :)

Congratulations, I believe with this post I move up to the Romulan Warbird or some such thing! 

Gus

JJ Abrams isn't even directing this one, Gus.   I can't tell anyone what they should/will enjoy, but you might want to give it a try...:)

Nope, its not about JJ Abrams or Justin Lin or anyone else involved in the reboot movies. The problem is me. I dont wanna to get out, buy a ticket and see this movie. I know its a good movie from the reviews, but the desire for new Star Trek is just not in me anymore. I know people who hate Voyager, hate Enterprise........I dont hate JJ Trek. But I dont like it either. Some people are tired of the MARVEL Studios movies and I understand that, it has been too much of that, but I do love MARVEL movies. On the other hand, I dont love Star Trek like I did. The last movie I liked was First Contact and this was 20 years ago ! I do feel old. But  I know I am in the minority here, because the reboot ressurected Star Trek for a lot of people. But not me. Again, I dont have the lust for more. And I even dont know if I will be watching the Bryan Fuller CBS All Access series, which will be available in Brazil on Netflix. As I said, never say never, but right now, I just dont care for it. Well, maybe I will watch it on Blu-Ray, I dunno. Thats my feelings.

Gus

Nope, its not about JJ Abrams or Justin Lin or anyone else involved in the reboot movies. The problem is me. I dont wanna to get out, buy a ticket and see this movie. I know its a good movie from the reviews, but the desire for new Star Trek is just not in me anymore. I know people who hate Voyager, hate Enterprise........I dont hate JJ Trek. But I dont like it either. Some people are tired of the MARVEL Studios movies and I understand that, it has been too much of that, but I do love MARVEL movies. On the other hand, I dont love Star Trek like I did. The last movie I liked was First Contact and this was 20 years ago ! I do feel old. But  I know I am in the minority here, because the reboot ressurected Star Trek for a lot of people. But not me. Again, I dont have the lust for more. And I even dont know if I will be watching the Bryan Fuller CBS All Access series, which will be available in Brazil on Netflix. As I said, never say never, but right now, I just dont care for it. Well, maybe I will watch it on Blu-Ray, I dunno. Thats my feelings.

Gus

If it's any comfort, Gus - I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from. I have no desire whatsoever either to watch any of the Nu!Trek movies, EVER, nor do I feel any need to watch the new series. (I don't have Netflix and I'm certainly not getting it just for Trek - if anything, I'll check the series out on DVD one day when they practically throw it after you for a few Euros and that ONLY if the fandom likes it, and tells me the show managed to somehow keep at least some of the spirit of Roddenberry's ideas). I keep up with the news and all because I do enjoy discussing Trek in general with Trek fans and most of my friends are Trek fans... but ultimately my interest in Trek these days is very, very limited and almost exclusively focused on TNG. I'm also first and foremost a fan of a certain ACTOR, not of Trek in general. But it also has to do with simply being tired of it all, and that's why I said I understand what you mean. The Nu!Trek thing crushed ANY remaining interest I had in new Star Trek, and the new series announcement and the trailer in particular left me even colder than I expected, I felt no excitement whatsoever. It's just not my thing anymore either, Trek can and will never be the Trek I like best again (the TNG era), and that's fine, it has to move on, but I just don't want to move on with it. I'm not a science fiction fan in general, which only adds to my complete non-interest in actually checking new Trek things out these days. Maybe I'll change my opinion some day again, never say never, it happened with X Files as well, I was not interested in the 10th season but I changed my mind when I saw the entire fandom praising it. But with Trek? No such luck, people ARE praising Beyond now and I'm just sitting here like "sure, fine, whatever - Imma watch another Dallas episode".  

I'm actually thinking... if they win YOU over with the new series it'll be a good indicator for ME to buy those DVDs for a few Euros. ;) 

Gus

If it's any comfort, Gus - I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from. I have no desire whatsoever either to watch any of the Nu!Trek movies, EVER, nor do I feel any need to watch the new series. (I don't have Netflix and I'm certainly not getting it just for Trek - if anything, I'll check the series out on DVD one day when they practically throw it after you for a few Euros and that ONLY if the fandom likes it, and tells me the show managed to somehow keep at least some of the spirit of Roddenberry's ideas). I keep up with the news and all because I do enjoy discussing Trek in general with Trek fans and most of my friends are Trek fans... but ultimately my interest in Trek these days is very, very limited and almost exclusively focused on TNG. I'm also first and foremost a fan of a certain ACTOR, not of Trek in general. But it also has to do with simply being tired of it all, and that's why I said I understand what you mean. The Nu!Trek thing crushed ANY remaining interest I had in new Star Trek, and the new series announcement and the trailer in particular left me even colder than I expected, I felt no excitement whatsoever. It's just not my thing anymore either, Trek can and will never be the Trek I like best again (the TNG era), and that's fine, it has to move on, but I just don't want to move on with it. I'm not a science fiction fan in general, which only adds to my complete non-interest in actually checking new Trek things out these days. Maybe I'll change my opinion some day again, never say never, it happened with X Files as well, I was not interested in the 10th season but I changed my mind when I saw the entire fandom praising it. But with Trek? No such luck, people ARE praising Beyond now and I'm just sitting here like "sure, fine, whatever - Imma watch another Dallas episode".  

I'm actually thinking... if they win YOU over with the new series it'll be a good indicator for ME to buy those DVDs for a few Euros. ;) 

Yes, thats exactly some of my feelings too, I was just having a conversation with some Trek fans over at Facebook and it was a bit difficult for them to understand exactly what I was feeling and what the hell I was talking about. Its complicated. TOS and TNG will always be in my heart and from time to time I will pick THE CAGE or BEST OF BOTH WORLDS and pop the Blu-Rays on the player and enjoy a bit of Star Trek. I also enjoy DS9, but that was a complete different take on Star Trek, but still Trek at its core. But with Voyager, Nemesis, Enterprise I begin to lose interest and with 2009 and Into Darkness, it just cemented my decision to leave TrekWeb.com for good and to look for other things to explore. You know, Marvel movies, anime, cult movies and so forth. But regarding Star Trek, I am kinda finished for some time. Never say never ? Maybe. But now I want to discuss other things regarding sci-fi, movies, comics and pop culture.

Gus

PS - Having said that, working as a researcher on FOR THE LOVE OF SPOCK was a pleasure, and yeah, I did research on the great, late Leonard Nimoy work in the reboot movies, since Adam went to Canada and interviewed the entire JJ Trek cast on the Enterprise sets. Its a a farewell project for me, both professional and personal, regarding Star Trek.

It was a hell of a  ride, and I will always treasure TOS and TNG and DS9.

Edited by GustavoLeao

Gus...as a fan of TOS, I recommend Beyond to you. Wait until video if you like, but I think you will find more of the feel of the original in this latest film than the previous two installments. I loved it! And my feelings on the other two were that 2009 was a fun ride, but not quite Star Trek (in some ways), and Into Darkness was garbage.  This movie was possibly the best legit Trek film since First Contact (for me at least!). 

Gus...as a fan of TOS, I recommend Beyond to you. Wait until video if you like, but I think you will find more of the feel of the original in this latest film than the previous two installments. I loved it! And my feelings on the other two were that 2009 was a fun ride, but not quite Star Trek (in some ways), and Into Darkness was garbage.  This movie was possibly the best legit Trek film since First Contact (for me at least!). 

^
Just saw it this morning and I very much agree.

This one, more than the other two BR movies, feels much more like a ST-type story (and in NO way a ripoff of TWOK... that alone was refreshing). 

Isn't it funny how the freshness of 2009 was almost immediately stale with STID? 

Isn't it funny how the freshness of 2009 was almost immediately stale with STID? 

Like you mentioned in another thread; you could just leapfrog from ST09 directly into STB and assume that the ending of ST09 was the start of the five year mission.  STID really has no reason to exist anymore. 

STAR TREK BEYOND ($59M), enduring a domestic dip, will now rely on global audiences to engage (But do not count on Latin America, Russia and a few European countries such as Spain ad Portugal)

STAR TREK BEYOND ($59M), enduring a domestic dip, will now rely on global audiences to engage (But do not count on Latin America, Russia and a few European countries such as Spain ad Portugal)

it's Tuesday. Don't we usually wait until the weekend to see if it has legs or not? 

it's Tuesday. Don't we usually wait until the weekend to see if it has legs or not? 

I still think Paramount shot themselves in the foot by not releasing it worldwide, but that's water under the bridge now... 

I see no logica reason for then to do that other then it ended up being out of their hands. 

I'd love to know what the marketing reasoning was on that front.

I see no logica reason for then to do that other then it ended up being out of their hands. 

It may have been out of their hands, but I just don't understand the mechanics of how that works.

STAR TREK BEYOND would have NO competition here in Brazil this past weekend, it would rule the brazilian box office with big numbers. Why it was pushed to September 1st in Latin America remains a mystery. What you have done huh Paramount ? And in this past 48 hours it was discovered by the brazilian fandom that the movie is already available online via torrents and so forth, and if you remember that Brazil and China are the major countries for piracy, you can figure out what is happening now with the fandom here (lots of downloads LOL), from people who dont wanna to wait till September to see the movie. And how can I blame them ? I will wait for the Blu-Ray nevertheless.

So thats the situation :  BEYOND is not performing as expected and it need that international markets money, but thanks to Paramount, will not open in Latin America, Russia and other European countries till late August/early September. How's that for a wrong marketing decision huh ?

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

STAR TREK BEYOND would have NO competition here in Brazil this past weekend, it would rule the brazilian box office with big numbers. Why it was pushed to September 1st in Latin America remains a mystery. What you have done huh Paramount ? And in this past 48 hours it was discovered by the brazilian fandom that the movie is already available online via torrets and so forth, and if you remember that Brazil and China are the countries for piracy, you can figure out what is happening now with the fandom here, which dont wanna to wait till September to see the movie. And how can I blame them ? I will wait for the Blu-Ray nevertheless.

Gus

It's very strange, self-defeating behavior on Paramount's behalf, for sure.

Not logical, in any way that I can see.

Who said the execs at Paramount and Bad Robot are logical people ? LOL

Try to tell this to the Latin America fandom. sigh

Gus

Who said the execs at Paramount and Bad Robot are logical people ? LOL

Try to tell this to the Latin America fandom. sigh

Gus

Indeed not. But there must've been some reasoning behind this bizarre decision.

A mystery for our times...