GustavoLeao

How Paramount Will Destroy BEYOND Worldwide

317 posts in this topic

I sincerely hope you are right and I am wrong.

We will know next month.

Gus

I'm not saying it will be a huge success, but I am saying that I don't feel that this is Paramount trying to destroy this film. I think it is a rough circumstance, one they are probably not happy about...but saying other movies are coming out same day doesn't make the situation that happened with STB to be any different.  

And I really have no sympathy for fans who want to avoid spoilers and actually struggle to do so.  I have even avoided spoiling stuff on this very board on numerous occasions.  If you want to avoid spoilers, don't complain that you have no self restraint in reading them. 

Yes, and I agree if it's just a matter of poor impulse control.

But not everyone is as careful at not posting spoilers (or posting spoiler alerts) as you (and others) are.   Some might read those spoilers accidentally.   Now I DO have sympathy for the afflicted when that happens, because without a spoiler warning one might innocently have a movie/TV show ruined.  

Otherwise, if there is a spoiler warning and one purposefully reads it anyway?  It's their own fault. 

I tend to try and avoid topics that might veer into something I may want to watch...just in case such a thing might happen.  I mean I'm on these boards pretty frequently and I manage to avoid spoiling any release that I might check out someday.  Sure...things could happen if it comes out of nowhere and it is a totally different topic...but it is pretty rare.

On this board, it has been easy to avoid spoilers for stuff I really didn't want to be spoiled about. All posters here are usually careful with spoiler warnings... and when it did happen after all, it was just because I was really long behind (I read most new Star Trek novels in German, and they usually take 2 years before they cross the pond).

One show that's really hard not to be spoiled is Game of Thrones... but on this site, this show doesn't seem to be a big topic. I'm not beyond the first season so far, and I'm not sure if, say, season 2 references still count as spoilers. :P

Hey I've yet to watch Game of Thrones...I often think about how I might someday. I've managed to not get anything on it spoiled, because I just don't read anything on it.  It is easier than people think. 

A common newspaper website I often visit even put a GoT spoiler into one of their headlines (!!!). Fortunately, I've forgotten it again by now. :P

The other day, I had to take quite an effort not to overhear two guys in the bus, right behind me, talking about it.

So yes, usually, it's not difficult to avoid spoilers... but in case of GoT, it was less easy for me than usual. ;)

Idont have problems with spoilers. Heck, I remember reading the ENTIRE script for GENERATIONS (autographed by Ron Moore, who was a young guy in 1994 and I knew someone who knew him, in the days before the internet) and it dont stop me of enjoying the movie................a lot !

But yeah I know a lot of people here in Brazil who cant have the strenght to avoid spoilers, and will complain afterwards that this is a conspiracy from Paramount to ruin the movie for them LOL Geee, I didnt even care for JJ TREK at this point LOL

Gus

I don't have a problem with spoilers either, Gustavo. I remember with "Star Trek: First Contact" I exposed myself to EVERY SINGLE SPOILER that was available at the time. I pretty much knew the story going into it.

I know with Nemesis, there really wasn't a tight lid on that. An earlier draft of the script leaked out months in advance, so I knew pretty much what was going to happen.

Same happened to me regarding FIRST CONTACT and INSURRECTION - magazines as CINEFANTASTIQUE and STARLOG and CINESCAPE and so forth, pretty much spoiled the entire movie months before its release.

By the time of NEMESIS and the JJ TREK movies, I was editor of the late TrekWeb website, so it was my "job" to post spoilers and exclusives on these movies. I dont regret one bit.

Gus

Same happened to me regarding FIRST CONTACT and INSURRECTION - magazines as CINEFANTASTIQUE and STARLOG and CINESCAPE and so forth, pretty much spoiled the entire movie months before its release.

By the time of NEMESIS and the JJ TREK movies, I was editor of the late TrekWeb website, so it was my "job" to post spoilers and exclusives on these movies. I dont regret one bit.

Gus

Spoilers don't really ruin a movie for me unless the entire movie is predicated on a single spoiler (i.e. most of M. Night Shyamalan's career).

But knowing if so and so commands their own ship, or whether a secondary character dies halfway through really doesn't destroy the experience (again, I am only speaking for myself, of course).   In a way, I rather like to go into a movie with as much plot/story information as I can get, as it allows me to wade past plot mechanics and focus on the subtleties and nuances; little character moments, etc.   If anything, it also prepares me to look for little 'easter egg' things that I might've otherwise missed if I was plodding along trying to piece together the story with the characters. 

There have been times when I've purposefully 'spoiled' movies for myself (long before I started moderating on Trekcore/OS).   I remember reading the Don Glut novelization of "The Empire Strikes Back" a month before I saw it with my family at the Egyptian theatre in Hollywood (a magnificent experience, I might add!).  I knew the 'big secret' of the movie, but if anything it made me more eagerly anticipate how the moment would play on the big screen.   Even my wife will sometimes read the Wiki entry on a movie before we go to see it, and for the same reason. 

But again; this is just me (or rather us).  I completely understand those who prefer the surprise of that 'first viewing' and that is why I try to post spoiler warnings for others (unless of course, I forget... :giggle: ). 

Spoilers don't really ruin a movie for me unless the entire movie is predicated on a single spoiler (i.e. most of M. Night Shyamalan's career).

Whaaaaaaa..........?

You wouldn't be implying that he's a one-trick pony, would you? ;) 

Whaaaaaaa..........?

You wouldn't be implying that he's a one-trick pony, would you? ;) 

nope.gif :P

It's especially sad since "Sixth Sense" showed so much discipline and promise; it bordered on Hitchcockian, and could still be enjoyed repeatedly even after exposure of the 'secret.'  The acting was incredible, and the photography/mood were amazing.  

He's never quite hit that mark ever again.

Anyway, what were we talking about?  Totally forgot.

Oh yeah... Paramount.  Star Trek.  Late.   BAD IDEA. :P

I thought he really had something with "Unbreakable," too.

But that's about it.

I thought he really had something with "Unbreakable," too.

But that's about it.

I only vaguely remember that one, but yes, it was better than his later efforts.  

Its happening - the majority of Brazilian fans want to boycott Beyond, according to some brazilian Star Trek foruns, And they decided to wait for the Blu-Ray because of the delay in the premiere date here to September 1st. No kidding, they launched a "boycott Beyond" campaign unless Paramount Brazil brings the premiere date to July. I have no idea how this will affect the international box office, though.

Gus

Its happening - the majority of Brazilian fans want to boycott Beyond, according to some brazilian Star Trek foruns, And they decided to wait for the Blu-Ray because of the delay in the premiere date here to September 1st. No kidding, they launched a "boycott Beyond" campaign unless Paramount Brazil brings the premiere date to July. I have no idea how this will affect the international box office, though.

Gus

Boycotting an entertainment for reasons outside the control of those making it only hurts the boycotters, in my opinion.  They'd be hurting Star Trek for a decision made by the studio, not the actors or the creative people involved.  And not to play devil's advocate, but... we're talking about a month and a week.   Yes, it's a huge delay by today's instant media standards and I DO feel it's a mistake, but at the end of the day... it's ONLY a month, right?   So, the movie will come out on September 1st and the boycotters will STILL avoid it just to make a point (?).

Sorry, but my cobwebbed brain fails to see the logic of protesting one delay by initiating another (!).   We're not talking about some civil rights/passive resistance protest to correct a civil injustice; we're talking about waiting 4-5 weeks for a movie to come out.    

There are occasional movies that have international releases overseas before their US releases.   The last X-Men movie premiered overseas first; as did the recent Batman V. Superman.   Granted, the delay wasn't as long, but people still waited.  

When Toho studios makes new Godzilla movies (which I'm a huge fan of), we American fans sometimes have to wait a year before they reach us. 

Even TV shows, like 2004's Battlestar Galactica; it premiered with a 2003 miniseries in the US, but the actual series premiered in the UK a full THREE MONTHS before it hit the States (!).  And this was an American co-financed production.   Those three months of waiting were hell, and the show was heavily pirated off of UK's Sky One service, but ultimately it came to the US and became something of a hit for the SyFy network (and became one of my favorite shows of all time, personally).   I didn't boycott the series when it came to SyFy; that would've only hurt ME, not the show.   And as it turns out, it was worth the wait.   

Again, I'm not advocating for the Star Trek Beyond delay; I think it's foolish, and it's bad business.   But a boycott and/or promise to wait for the blu ray only hurts the boycotters.   The movie WILL reach Brazil only a few weeks later, and then what?  The boycotting fans wait another month or two for the blu ray?   Either way, the studio gets money.   A few less movie ticket sales perhaps (which is a bad thing in the short term), but Paramount will eventually get their money via blu ray/DVD sales, so what's the difference really?

I have to agree with you, Sehlat. People are complaining about reading all the spoilers before the movie gets here and so forth, but whatta hell, its only a month.

As Bill Shatner said in 1986 on SNL "Get a life, would you, people. Its just a TV Show, damn it, its just  a TV Show !" LOL

And for me I am glad the delay, because it will allow me to read the reviews and fan comments here first, then decide if I will go watch the movie later.

Gus

The reverse of this situation happened with the Warcraft movie. The movie was released overseas before launching domestically. The movie was a domestic flop, but they still made $400M on the backs of an enthusiastic response in China. The distributors probably knew it wouldn't do well domestically and didn't want bad reviews from the domestic release to poison the overseas box office. 

I don't know why Brazil is being held back, but it's likely the result of some forecast of box office by the distributors. I can't see bad reviews in Brazil hurting US box office take.

The reverse of this situation happened with the Warcraft movie. The movie was released overseas before launching domestically. The movie was a domestic flop, but they still made $400M on the backs of an enthusiastic response in China. The distributors probably knew it wouldn't do well domestically and didn't want bad reviews from the domestic release to poison the overseas box office. 

I don't know why Brazil is being held back, but it's likely the result of some forecast of box office by the distributors. I can't see bad reviews in Brazil hurting US box office take.

The problem, Hammer, is that is not only Brazil. Its the entire Latin America, including Mexico, Argentina and so forth. And great part of Europe too, countries like Portugal, Spain, Norway, etc, and even Russia. Odd, huh.

Edited by GustavoLeao

In a new group on Facebook, guess what, a huge group of fan films fans are asking the fandom to boycott both STAR TREK BEYOND, and the ALL ACCESS series.

The page is named PROJECT SMALL ACCESS and its mission is to convince the fans to not watch BEYOND in its first week of release in the US and another countries and boycott CBS. Its creating quite a discussion on Facebook and another Star Trek forum like this one, spreading hate instead of understanding among fans. Its fans against fans, its that sad.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/smallaccess/

13517454_690378641112890_707530808665644

Edited by GustavoLeao

In a new group on Facebook, guess what, a huge group of fan films fans are asking the fandom to boycott both STAR TREK BEYOND, and the ALL ACCESS series.

The page is named PROJECT SMALL ACCESS and its mission is to convince the fans to not watch BEYOND in its first week of release in the US and another countries and boycott CBS. Its creating quite a discussion on Facebook and another Star Trek forum like this one, spreading hate instead of understanding among fans. Its fans against fans, its that sad.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/smallaccess/

13517454_690378641112890_707530808665644

This is a group that created by Axanar sympathizers who are hoping to get the Fan Film Guidelines changed. They aren't THAT large of a group really. It has 1000 members.  1000 hyper obsessed fans will not make much of a dent...and I am sure that even a small chunk of that group will cave when the movie actually comes out.  Say only 10 people in the group give in and go see it...you think 990 people is a large enough group to make Paramount shake? 

Nevertheless is creating a lot of discussion and anger in others STAR TREK pages that support BEYOND. including my former STAR TREK V page, which is now  in the hands of my friend Raymond Erick Moore. The majority of fans on Facebook,, who support BEYOND, is quite annoyed by this - its fans againt fans, which is a shame, obviously. Odd,

To that FaceBook page, I quote Shatner; "Get a life."  

Fans have been against other fans on the variety of versions of Trek since The Motion Picture came out.  The internet amplifies it...but all fandoms (Trek and otherwise) are full of this kind of infighting.  I don't see this as any different than the split of Marvel fans that either loved or hated "Iron Man 3." 

Yep, but this time things are getting ugly. I had to delete a lot of hate messages from my FB page and my STAR TREK V page. Its fan film fans against Kevin Timeline fans against Prime Timeline fans against CBS All Accesss fans.................so much for IDIC LOL

I mean, thats CIVIL WAR LOL

Gus

Yep, but this time things are getting ugly. I had to delete a lot of hate messages from my FB page and my STAR TREK V page. Its fan film fans against Kevin Timeline fans against Prime Timeline fans against CBS All Accesss fans.................so much for IDIC LOL

I mean, thats CIVIL WAR LOL

Gus

Reason #327 why I'm not on FaceBook... :laugh:

It may seem out of hand, but I am sure this is no different from the usual small group of ardent fans getting all upset about nothing. 

According to a friend of mine who lives in Sao Paulo, STAR TREK BEYOND will be released in Brazil via bootlegs DVDs in the piracy market a week after the US premiere. Brazilian fans are boycotting the movie because of the September release. Dont look at me, seeing this movie is not in my plans I will wait for the official Blu Ray

I told ya

Well, I'm sure some fans in Brazil will be seeing the STB bootlegs; I doubt the entire fan movement is so perfectly lockstep.

While I agree that Paramount's delay of the Brazilian release is stupid and uncalled for, I don't think boycotting the film when it comes is right either.    That sounds a bit like cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.   And watching it on bootleg DVD or paying for the blu ray later on amounts to either a bootlegger or the studio STILL getting their share; what's the difference?