GustavoLeao

How Paramount Will Destroy BEYOND Worldwide

317 posts in this topic

STAR TREK fans in Brazil are usually JJ TREK fans and yep, fandom is big here.

But not to the point of making a difference at the box office, although a lot of people who likes the JJ TREK movies are non-fans, just people looking for an action adventure movie with lots of explosion.

Paramount will regret the September 1st release date here in Brazil, because they will be alienating  a lot of JJ TREK viewers, fans or not.

Gus

Well, maybe it's math, in part, how much of the global gross of STID came from Brazil?

It could be a theater booking issue as well.  Maybe they couldn't get the movie into theaters there until September.  I know Paramount is always painted as a villain, but there are so many factors that go into these release dates.  Maybe Independence Day or Ghostbusters or some other big release booked up screens and left Star Trek with too much competition or nothing but scraps to release it at the same time as the US release date.

Or they are just fools...who knows, I don't work there but sometimes things aren't as cut and dry as we like to pretend from our backseat production offices. 

It could be a theater booking issue as well.  Maybe they couldn't get the movie into theaters there until September.  I know Paramount is always painted as a villain, but there are so many factors that go into these release dates.  Maybe Independence Day or Ghostbusters or some other big release booked up screens and left Star Trek with too much competition or nothing but scraps to release it at the same time as the US release date.

Or they are just fools...who knows, I don't work there but sometimes things aren't as cut and dry as we like to pretend from our backseat production offices. 

Good point!  The international release dates may be a side effect of the movie's being made kinda at the last minute, so maybe they didn't have as much lead time to book theatres as other movies had.

Edited by Corylea

Good point!  The international release dates may be a side effect of the movie's being made kinda at the last minute, so maybe they didn't have as much lead time to book theatres as other movies had.

And if dubbing is involved add more time to get that done once the English language version is locked. 

And if dubbing is involved add more time to get that done once the English language version is locked. 

I didn't realize the movies were dubbed, as opposed to subtitled.  I guess it makes sense, since they're being marketed as action movies, and fans of action movies aren't always big readers. :-)

Wait, were the TV shows dubbed, too?  Does this mean that there are Star Trek fans who've never heard Leonard Nimoy's wonderful voice or who've missed Shatner's ... weirdly hesitating line readings?

Edited by Corylea

I didn't realize the movies were dubbed, as opposed to subtitled.  I guess it makes sense, since they're being marketed as action movies, and fans of action movies aren't always big readers. :-)

Wait, were the TV shows dubbed, too?  Does this mean that there are Star Trek fans who've never heard Leonard Nimoy's wonderful voice or who've missed Shatner's ... weirdly hesitating line readings?

Not every place dubs, but some do.  And I believe there are probably corners of the world where that is very true.

In Brazil, both the movies and the TV Shows are available dubbed and subtitled. Brazilian dubbing is incredibly bad, and you just have to avoid it and watch it in English.

And for the theater booking issue, you mean this is happening in all Latin America ? In Mexico ??? In some European countries ? Even in Russia ? Ha, I sincerely doubt it it. The people who release the movie overseas made  a very bad call regarding international releases dates, thats the truth.

And yes, INTO DARKNESS was a huge success overseas, I dunno how it grossed in Brazil and Latin America, but obviously this will not happen with BEYOND. As I said, fans in the overseas market will read all the spoilers online, weeks before it premieres in late August and September, and probabaly they are goona buy the bootleg DVDs since piracy is big bussiness, at least here, in Brazil and Argentina, as far as I know.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

Oh, and I smoked pot once or twice when in my early 20s.    There.  My entire criminal past laid bare as well.   :laugh:

* waits for the FBI to bash in front door... * :P 

So did I. But I didn't inhale. :P

Oh, and I smoked pot once or twice when in my early 20s.    There.  My entire criminal past laid bare as well.   :laugh:

* waits for the FBI to bash in front door... * :P 

So did I. But I didn't inhale. :P

Isn't that amazing? Neither did I... ;)

Bad news : a good quality bootleg X-MEN APOCALYPSE DVD can already be found on stores here in Brazil (no I didnt buy it, just sample it on a store). Gee, these people are fast these days huh ? I guess STAR TREK BEYOND will be available as a bootleg DVD on the Latin America just a few weeks after the US premiere, which will no doubt will cause a very bad impact on the foreign box office, I guess. Opinions ?

13417491_10209649185805635_9052216127204

Gus

Who knows, but it is starting to feel like maybe you are rooting for it!

Not at all. I am not a fan of the JJ universe as you know and I am a bit tired of the franchise, but even I dont wanna see BEYOND crash and burn in the international box office. Likewise, I was not  fan of the TNG movies (except GENERATIONS, which I love it) but I did support these movies, including NEMESIS, which I had high hopes for. I dont wanna see BEYOND fail, because I dont wanna see STAR TREK get a bad rap on the media, like the DC movies are getting since BATMAN VS SUPERMAN release and so forth. You know........there is always possibilities.

Gus

^
And a good point.

If STB takes a beating at the box office, it gives the next movie a potential black eye.   Look at the 7 year gap/regrouping after NEM.   If STB is a certified box office dud, who knows if/when the next cinematic ST will happen?  

I suppose the new series could carry the torch.   Television is ST's "first, best destiny" anyway; even the best of the ST movies are only nearly as good as the best of the series' episodes.   For better or worse, ST is primarily a creature of the small screen (I hesitate to say "TV screen" since 2017 ST will most likely be seen on laptops, desktops, tablets or phones).

I get it, but we already know bootlegs can happen, and yes, it can affect the box office in a big bad way.  But I know that these release dates sometimes aren't the first choice of the studio.  Things can be more difficult to release and book theaters, especially with a production that was rushed.  They can lock in a date in the US, but internationally it can be a different ballgame.  I just don't know if I'd classify this as Paramount intentionally destroying this movie, more of just the raw deal they are in because they decided to change gears in the production team and still try to make a release date. 

If the movie doesn't do too hot internationally...bummer for them.  Personally even if it is a good picture I won't be too bothered if Trek takes another cinematic break and is just focused on making a series...because the series is where it belongs.  And I have a feeling that if it gets good notices but it struggles internationally or even domestically at the box office...a fourth film is still probable.  Both 2009 and STID were big box office hits, and Trek has almost always performed at the box office, so the idea that one that struggles will kill it seems unlikely to me. If the new show comes out and is popular?  Even if Beyond struggled at the box office they will probably try to make a comeback and cash in on potential series fans. 

I suppose the new series could carry the torch.   Television is ST's "first, best destiny" anyway; even the best of the ST movies are only nearly as good as the best of the series' episodes.   For better or worse, ST is primarily a creature of the small screen (I hesitate to say "TV screen" since 2017 ST will most likely be seen on laptops, desktops, tablets or phones).

It's ironic that the moment digital technology allows for amazing, outstanding quality of video and audio, many people don't use it, but instead turn to crap: For audio, downloaded compressed crap that sounds much worse than even worn out old tapes, on their crappy $5 dollar headphones they listen to on their phones. And 4k videos that look amazing on a large tv screen are watched on a crappy small phone display. People have no taste. *smug frown* ;)

Well, the only reason they see them on small displays is because it's convenient.

Russell

Well, all the movies that premiered big this year (CIVIL WAR, BVS, X-MEN and so forth) premiered in Latin America the day they opened in the US. Every-big-movie. Even Paramount's NINJA TURTLES sequel will premiere on the same day than the US and Europe. STAR TREK BEYOND is an exception. Will premiere in the entire Latin America, part of Europe and even Russia. well,  a month and a half later than the original US release. Hmmmmmmmmm. Even the most clever fan will not be able to avoid spoilers and reviews and all the rest. When the movie arrives here in Latin America in September, finally, some people who reads movie websites on the internet, particularly fans, will know everything about the movie's plot and spoilers, the ending and so forth, every surprise, and will have just lost their interest on the movie. Wait and watch.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

Well, all the movies that premiered big this year (CIVIL WAR, BVS, X-MEN and so forth) premiered in Latin America the day they opened in the US. Every-big-movie. Even Paramount's NINJA TURTLES sequel will premiere on the same day than the US and Europe. STAR TREK BEYOND is an exception. Will premiere in the entire Latin America, part of Europe and even Russia. well,  a month and a half later than the original US release. Hmmmmmmmmm. Even the most clever fan will not be able to avoid spoilers and reviews and all the rest. When the movie arrives here in Latin America in September, finally, some people who reads movie websites on the internet, particularly fans, will know everything about the movie's plot and spoilers, the ending and so forth, every surprise, and will have just lost their interest on the movie. Wait and watch.

Gus

I'm sorry...but I wait to see tons of big movies where spoilers are all over the internet and I manage to avoid spoiling it.  IF fans can't resist reading an article or reviews a month before seeing a movie that is on them. 

And again, STB was a movie that's production got rushed when there was a big behind the scenes shake-up.  It sucks for international markets but that probably played into the movie's delayed release.  Every other movie you mentioned was planned out and [produced within their planned timing, STB unfortunately (for release dates anyhow) had major changes and was no longer afforded such a luxury.  Things didn't go according to the original plan.  Maybe if they had this movie would be released on the same date throughout the world.  And maybe the movie wouldn't be as good. 

Or maybe this will suck and bomb and it will all be for the better.

I sincerely hope you are right and I am wrong.

We will know next month.

Gus

We will know next month.

Gus

I'm not saying it will be a huge success, but I am saying that I don't feel that this is Paramount trying to destroy this film. I think it is a rough circumstance, one they are probably not happy about...but saying other movies are coming out same day doesn't make the situation that happened with STB to be any different.  

And I really have no sympathy for fans who want to avoid spoilers and actually struggle to do so.  I have even avoided spoiling stuff on this very board on numerous occasions.  If you want to avoid spoilers, don't complain that you have no self restraint in reading them. 

We will know next month.

Gus

I'm not saying it will be a huge success, but I am saying that I don't feel that this is Paramount trying to destroy this film. I think it is a rough circumstance, one they are probably not happy about...but saying other movies are coming out same day doesn't make the situation that happened with STB to be any different.  

And I really have no sympathy for fans who want to avoid spoilers and actually struggle to do so.  I have even avoided spoiling stuff on this very board on numerous occasions.  If you want to avoid spoilers, don't complain that you have no self restraint in reading them. 

Yes, and I agree if it's just a matter of poor impulse control.

But not everyone is as careful at not posting spoilers (or posting spoiler alerts) as you (and others) are.   Some might read those spoilers accidentally.   Now I DO have sympathy for the afflicted when that happens, because without a spoiler warning one might innocently have a movie/TV show ruined.  

Otherwise, if there is a spoiler warning and one purposefully reads it anyway?  It's their own fault. 

We will know next month.

Gus

But not everyone is as careful at not posting spoilers (or posting spoiler alerts) as you (and others) are.   Some might read those spoilers accidentally.   Now I DO have sympathy for the afflicted when that happens, because without a spoiler warning one might innocently have a movie/TV show ruined.  

Otherwise, if there is a spoiler warning and one purposefully reads it anyway?  It's their own fault. 

I tend to try and avoid topics that might veer into something I may want to watch...just in case such a thing might happen.  I mean I'm on these boards pretty frequently and I manage to avoid spoiling any release that I might check out someday.  Sure...things could happen if it comes out of nowhere and it is a totally different topic...but it is pretty rare.

We will know next month.

Gus

I tend to try and avoid topics that might veer into something I may want to watch...just in case such a thing might happen.  I mean I'm on these boards pretty frequently and I manage to avoid spoiling any release that I might check out someday.  Sure...things could happen if it comes out of nowhere and it is a totally different topic...but it is pretty rare.

On this board, it has been easy to avoid spoilers for stuff I really didn't want to be spoiled about. All posters here are usually careful with spoiler warnings... and when it did happen after all, it was just because I was really long behind (I read most new Star Trek novels in German, and they usually take 2 years before they cross the pond).

One show that's really hard not to be spoiled is Game of Thrones... but on this site, this show doesn't seem to be a big topic. I'm not beyond the first season so far, and I'm not sure if, say, season 2 references still count as spoilers. :P

We will know next month.

Gus

On this board, it has been easy to avoid spoilers for stuff I really didn't want to be spoiled about. All posters here are usually careful with spoiler warnings... and when it did happen after all, it was just because I was really long behind (I read most new Star Trek novels in German, and they usually take 2 years before they cross the pond).

One show that's really hard not to be spoiled is Game of Thrones... but on this site, this show doesn't seem to be a big topic. I'm not beyond the first season so far, and I'm not sure if, say, season 2 references still count as spoilers. :P

Hey I've yet to watch Game of Thrones...I often think about how I might someday. I've managed to not get anything on it spoiled, because I just don't read anything on it.  It is easier than people think.