Sign in to follow this  
Sehlat Vie

Muhammad Ali; 1942-2016

RIP, Muhammad Ali.

He passed away today at age 74.

He was the Greatest.  Used to love watching his matches with my dad when I was a kid.  I've since lost interest in boxing, but when I was a kid?  He was a phenomenon.  I also admired his stance (at heavy cost to his career) against the Vietnam war.   That took true guts.

I've got at least two books on him in my home library, and three DVDs (including the 2001 biopic, "Ali" and "When We Were Kings").  Truly a legend... 

Sim   

RIP Muhammed Ali.

When I think of him, I think of TOS "Tomorrow is Yesterday": In the German dubbed version, Christopher tells Kirk, after he beat him, "you've got a punch like Cassius" (I'm not sure if that line exists in the original as well).

For me, always as much a poet and commentator on the ills and unfairness in society as much as a boxer. He was a legend because of his persona and eloquence. Not many truly attain that status in their own lifetime. RIP and Godspeed, sir. 

RIP Muhammed Ali.

When I think of him, I think of TOS "Tomorrow is Yesterday": In the German dubbed version, Christopher tells Kirk, after he beat him, "you've got a punch like Cassius" (I'm not sure if that line exists in the original as well).

No, sadly it doesn't.  I believe the English language line was "I see physical training is required in your service too."   
I like the German one better (though it'd have to be updated to Muhammad Ali; Ali often said he felt that Cassius Clay was his 'slave name').

For me, always as much a poet and commentator on the ills and unfairness in society as much as a boxer. He was a legend because of his persona and eloquence. Not many truly attain that status in their own lifetime. RIP and Godspeed, sir. 

Very much this.   His personal fight against the evils of the draft and the Vietnam war are as memorable as his legendary bouts in the ring.

Again, I'm not really into boxing as much these days, but I have many good memories of my dad and I watching Ali's fights on TV.   My dad just loved him, and so did I; he was a champion in every sense of the word.    I sincerely doubt we will EVER see another sportsman like him in our lifetimes.  Just glad that I did. 

kc1966   

RIP, Muhammad Ali.

He passed away today at age 74.

DHKvl.jpg

He was the Greatest.  Used to love watching his matches with my dad when I was a kid.  I've since lost interest in boxing, but when I was a kid?  He was a phenomenon.  I also admired his stance (at heavy cost to his career) against the Vietnam war.   That took true guts.

I've got at least two books on him in my home library, and three DVDs (including the 2001 biopic, "Ali" and "When We Were Kings").  Truly a legend... 

I was a Joe Frazier fan back in the day.  Like you I have lost interest in boxing since its "golden age".   George Foreman, Cassius Clay/Muhommad Ali, Joe Frazier, Leon Spinks.  They don't have those types today.  Sad to hear he passed.  To me Frazier and Ali will always be the greatest heavyweights who ever fought.

RIP Muhammed Ali.

It does not.

Sadly.

CaptPapa   

It's a sad day - and as stated above, not just for boxing.  Cassius Clay/Muhammad Ali was my first sports personality.  He was a show no matter what he did - I loved it.

ME

kenman   

I am not much for boxing...but Ali was an American Icon no matter how you slice it, and one of the few sports personalities in any sport that was a joy to listen to.  So many aren't terribly articulate, but he always was (extra surprising as his job was to get punched in the head over and over again).  An icon is lost, but he lived a full life.  RIP. 

I am not much for boxing...but Ali was an American Icon no matter how you slice it, and one of the few sports personalities in any sport that was a joy to listen to.  So many aren't terribly articulate, but he always was (extra surprising as his job was to get punched in the head over and over again).  An icon is lost, but he lived a full life.  RIP. 

He did rap about 20 years ahead of time.   
I can just imagine a rap album of Muhammad Ali rhymes.   I'm not a big rap fan, but that would've got my money.

I had so many wonderful memories with my dad watching those fights, and Ali's personality really made them a show.   He wasn't just boxing; he was entertaining.   Modern athletes don't really do that so much.   Kind of a shame.

Ok, what the hell?  Was Superman wearing Kryptonite-lined tights or what?  
I know it's sort of a salute to the champ (and I approve), but huh...?  :dontgetit:

To make the fight legit and fair, Superman removed his super powers thanks to a red sun (the fight was set in an alien space station in.....well....space)

Ali of course, won the fight, but everything was part to  a plan that Ali and Superman had to stop an alien invasion,

Gus

To make the fight legit and fair, Superman removed his super powers thanks to a red sun (the fight was set in an alien space station in.....well....space)

Ali of course, won the fight, but everything was part to  a plan that Ali and Superman had to stop an alien invasion,

Gus

Ah, thanks for clarifying.  It was either that or Ali's corner guy put Kryptonite in Ali's gloves... :laugh:

Ali might be the most charismatic person I've ever seen. (The footage I've seen of him, that is.) Really charming. Obviously, he was important for far more than just boxing, but even in boxing alone he was probably the greatest heavyweight of all time. Boxing is ultimately quite a cruel and brutal sport, and yet you sometimes forget that when you watch him effortlessly dancing around the ring in his prime.

I like that you mentioned When We Were Kings, Sehlat Vie. Great documentary.

Sign in to follow this