Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John32070

Blood Oath; what was the deal with the Albino?

5 posts in this topic

One of my favorite DS9 stories for the obvious fact of getting three of the main Klingons from TOS back, but one thing I don't quite get is the character of the Albino. First, why call him that? Also, he does kind of look Klingon, but yet he doesn't. And what did Kang, Koloth, and Kor do to him to piss him off that bad? I think maybe we all liked the nostalgia of the story that some of this stuff doesn't make a lot of sense. 

Also still gets me how they made Koloth a much tougher character. Seeing him in Trouble with Tribbles I'd hardly consider him warrior material. Maybe when they found the cure for the Augment virus, Koloth gained a spine both realistically and metaphorically LOL.

1) Maybe he always had the white hair?

2) The Empire sent the three Ks to apprehend him for whatever reason. They killed most of his people and dismantled his operations, but he made it out, hence his...upset with them.

One of my favorite DS9 stories for the obvious fact of getting three of the main Klingons from TOS back, but one thing I don't quite get is the character of the Albino. First, why call him that? Also, he does kind of look Klingon, but yet he doesn't. And what did Kang, Koloth, and Kor do to him to piss him off that bad? I think maybe we all liked the nostalgia of the story that some of this stuff doesn't make a lot of sense. 

Also still gets me how they made Koloth a much tougher character. Seeing him in Trouble with Tribbles I'd hardly consider him warrior material. Maybe when they found the cure for the Augment virus, Koloth gained a spine both realistically and metaphorically LOL.

Yeah, Koloth seemed more smarmy diplomat than battle-axe wielding warrior, I agree.  But yeah, maybe when he, Kang and Kor were in their augmented state, they were inclined to act more "Klingon."  

As for the Albino?  You got me.  Memory Alpha says that he may have been Klingon (I assumed he was, but I'm not sure):

The Albino was played by Bill Bolender. Based on his appearance, the Albino may have been a Klingon, but this is only speculation and it should be noted that he called Klingons "filth" and "scum." The script described him as "an all-white humanoid in good physical shape for a man of a hundred."

And the apocryphal section of the Memory Alpha entry says this:

The Albino appears in Michael A. Martin and Andy Mangels' novel Forged in Fire, which tells the story of his piracy and later his revenge on Kang, Kor, and Koloth. The book confirms that he is indeed Klingon – a cousin of Kor – who was born an albino after his mother attempted to genetically alter him in the womb so he would cure his bloodline of the augment virus. His mother sends him to be killed as an infant, but he is found by a pair of Orion pirates, who raise him in their trade. The book gives his name as Qagh, which is Klingon for "mistake." This would explain his dislike of fellow Klingons. The virus - which he actually gave to the Klingons themselves and they passed to the children - was also given to Sulu, who had assisted the Klingons in the hunt for Albino, in hopes that it would kill his daughter, but because a key component came from Omega IV, a planet Sulu had visited and become resistant to its adverse effects, it did not take on him. The virus also afflicted Curzon Dax, but he expressed no real concern about it, explaining to Sulu that he would retain a form of immortality thanks to his symbiont, clarifying that Dax had never contracted the virus in the first place as it was incompatible with the symbiont and would thus not pass the virus on to future hosts. Sulu notably rejected the offer to aid in the Klingon blood oath as he felt that it would be a mistake to focus so much of their lives on revenge against one man, although he nevertheless agreed to keep silent about the events that had taken place and allow the other four to proceed as they saw fit. 

^
This admittedly non-canon entry makes the most sense, so I'll just adopt it as head canon.   It fits really well, actually.   

Well, Koloth has always been quite level-headed for a Klingon. Apart from a warrior he was also a negotiator.

I don't know. Watching him in tribbles he just comes off a little buffoonish. Kor, Kang, and even the Klingon commander we see in A Private Little War come off better than Koloth did. It actually seems like Campbell was playing a toned down version of Trelane. 

Maybe between being dishonored over the Sherman's Planet deal and the cure to the virus is what it took for Koloth to find his true warrior self.

Well, Koloth has always been quite level-headed for a Klingon. Apart from a warrior he was also a negotiator.

I don't know. Watching him in tribbles he just comes off a little buffoonish. Kor, Kang, and even the Klingon commander we see in A Private Little War come off better than Koloth did. It actually seems like Campbell was playing a toned down version of Trelane. 

Maybe between being dishonored over the Sherman's Planet deal and the cure to the virus is what it took for Koloth to find his true warrior self.

Yeah, early Koloth always impressed me as a sycophant. He'd find a more powerful Klingon and play chief lackey.

He changed between TOS and DS9.