Sign in to follow this  
Frontier

Kirsten Beyer (Trek Lit author) joins Writing Staff

So apparently, according to a cancellation notice on the Shore Leave convention site, Star Trek Voyager novel author Kirsten Beyer has joined the writing staff of the new series.  The shows been hiring writers quietly for a while now, I know of a few others who've been added, but none are previously associated with Trek; the few I know of beyond the highly publicized Nicholas Meyer are thus far general television writers who've an associated to Kurtzman through his other series (Hawaii 5-0, Scorpion, Limitless) or Fuller through his previous shows. 

I find it fascinating that here, he's brought someone aboard with a Trek association, even if it is just a dozen or so novels.  I'm not certain of her other credits, though I remember something about her having worked in Hollywood previously.

Interesting. I don't read Star Trek books, but I seem to recall others on here saying her Voyager books were good...like she made unlikable or bland characters from that series actually likable. Or that was someone else...but the name seems familiar. 

It will be interesting to see the new stable of writers. I look forward to watching the show and discovering who the new writers I gravitate to will be! Just as I once found I enjoyed the episodes that happened to be written by Ronald D. Moore, Ira Behr, Robert Hewitt Wolfe, Hans Beimler and René Echevarria.  There will be a whole new crop of Trek writers to get to know their style, and see who I like in the new era!

Really good news, as far as I am concerned. She's a fine Trek novel writer.

Edited by Sim

I liked her VGR sequels; she actually brought those characters to life in a way the series never quite did.    This is only a good thing as far as I'm concerned.  It seems like the focus of the new show is on character over spectacle (with Fuller, Meyer and now Beyer aboard).    This is starting to shape up to be a Star Trek "Dream Team."

If they brought Dorothy Fontana and Ron Moore aboard, I'd probably lose control of my bladder... :giggle: 

She made Voyager GOOD and something worthy of all that came before it rather than the mess it was on television.

That woman's got talent and her on the staff is nothing but good news to me.

If nothing else, they are doing all they can to get the $6 a month out of me.

Edited by prometheus59650

Yes... her VOY relaunch novels suddenly made me like the characters I couldn't stand before... and sometimes even made me feel like rewatching the series. THAT is an accomplishment. She's a great writer!

It is also nice to see a female writer coming in. Even Doctor Who has struggled to pull in many female writers in it's revived show. 

This hiring is a good sign. If you aren't sure why I'm saying that, pick up one of her Voyager novels.

There have been few warning signs since the Fuller announcement.  I've come to the point of view of fully embracing Kurtzman, because he hired a guy who has hired all the right kind of names. 

Yes... her VOY relaunch novels suddenly made me like the characters I couldn't stand before... and sometimes even made me feel like rewatching the series. THAT is an accomplishment. She's a great writer!

She understands those people better than the entire writer's room ever seemed to. 

There have been few warning signs since the Fuller announcement.  I've come to the point of view of fully embracing Kurtzman, because he hired a guy who has hired all the right kind of names. 

I've never had a problem with him Orci seems to be the source of a lot of the problems.

She understands those people better than the entire writer's room ever seemed to. 

I've never had a problem with him Orci seems to be the source of a lot of the problems.

They worked together on so many awful scripts that I never knew who the problem was. 

We really need some casting news.  They have got to be getting close to that if they are to start filming in 3-4 months.  

They probably haven't cast yet; sometimes TV shows are cast only a month (or less) before shooting.   ST VGR had to recast several days into shooting the pilot "Caretaker" (the Bujold for Mulgrew issue) so I wouldn't really expect casting information on the new show this far from the actual shoot date.

We really need some casting news.  They have got to be getting close to that if they are to start filming in 3-4 months.  

They probably haven't cast yet; sometimes TV shows are cast only a month (or less) before shooting.   ST VGR had to recast several days into shooting the pilot "Caretaker" (the Bujold for Mulgrew issue) so I wouldn't really expect casting information on the new show this far from the actual shoot date.

As I recall, Nana Visitor wasn't cast until days before either.

Agreed, this isn't a major motion picture, and I bet things work quite a bit differently.

That being said, glad Kristen Beyer is part of the writing staff, if she did made some VGR characters likeable in the relaunch that weren't so much in the actual series.