Sign in to follow this  
doctor_odd

Heya!

I miss you all!

It has been a few years since I posted here.  Looking through my post history today has made me pretty embarrassed by all the pretentious garbage I was posting.  But I'll try to leave the past in the past for now.

I like to think I've mellowed out as a person since I left.  I've gone through a lot of changes, not least of all that 3 years ago I came out as transgender and began hormone replacement therapy.  After three years of estrogen I look back on my life and laugh/cringe at my sad overcompensation.  I guess I was ashamed, and couldn't face the idea that I was trans, mostly because I didn't want to face the scrutiny of others.  I tried very hard to be "masculine" (or a sad parody thereof) to cure myself of what I deemed a problem, but as any trans person will tell you, that strategy never works.

When I came out to my friends and family, lo and behold, 90% of them reacted very well, a few of them asking why it took so long for me to see it.  Some days go by now where I don't even think about being trans; I just take my pills and live my life.  I mean, I have to shave my facial hair every day but that's a small price to pay for being the person I feel like.  I still get depressed every once in a while, but it's nothing like the ditch I was in before.

I legally changed my name in the winter, along with my gender designation.  My name is Cassandra, but Cass or Cassie are fine too.

I made a new account yesterday, Delta Cassiopeia, because I didn't really want to have to come out of the closet yet again, but I spoke to Frontier and he said that the Omega Sector remains a tolerant and understanding place.  And reading some of the topics (including the LGBT thread in the Star Trek 2017 forum) I have to agree.  So I've decided to just tell you all. :)

Enough about me.  What's changed since I left back in 2011 or so?  Who's still here?  After all this time, it's so overwhelmingly nostalgic to see all the old usernames I remember.

:happy:

Hey! I remember you! You might remember me, too. ;) 

I'm very happy to hear that your life has changed in that good way! I'm very, very familiar myself with this particular change (only from the mirrored part of the spectrum) and the liberating and general healing effect something like this can have on a person, so, yay for you! I also like the name Cassandra!

By they way, this board allows you to change your username once or twice a year - if you want another that you think might fit better now, you can always choose one! :)  (Just an idea, I know how important a username change can be in this case.)

Anyway, as I've said before, this board is LGBT friendly. And yes, this - of course - includes the T part. ;) 

Oh and welcome back, of course!

Edited by Mr.Picard

Hey Cassandra, nice to meet you! :)

I signed up years ago, but hardly ever came here, until November 2013, when a considerable number of the now defunct TrekWeb forums migrated over here. So I don't remember you.

Congratulations to your life changes! I applaud you for standing to who you are. All my best wishes on your path, and I very much hope you'll find nothing but fulfillment and acceptance.

My best buddy is a trans-male. I tried to be on his side during all the hard time of his coming out and surgical adjustment, but that was more than a decade ago, and by now, he's become a most happy and successful man. He was there for me too, when I had a very tough time, and we're still best buddies. So I have some close second hand experience with this situation, and sympathize very much.

Something different -- the question I ask all newcomers here (though you aren't): Which is your favorite ST series, and which do you like least?

Looking forward to reading from you! :)

I don't know you at allso I am unaffected by your pretentiousness. :)

I'm very glad you're in a better place so welcome and welcome back. 

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Yes, Mr. Picard, I do remember you!  I just changed my username back to what it was originally, actually, but thanks for the tip!

To answer your question, Sim, my favourite Trek series is DS9 because of the character development and atmosphere.

I couldn't possibly choose a least-favourite series.  I love them all so much!  I guess the one I am least familiar with is TAS.

Edited by doctor_odd
forgot to say something!

Yes, Mr. Picard, I do remember you!  I just changed my username back to what it was originally, actually, but thanks for the tip!

To answer your question, Sim, my favourite Trek series is DS9 because of the character development and atmosphere.

I couldn't possibly choose a least-favourite series.  I love them all so much!  I guess the one I am least familiar with is TAS.

I could help with that... :P

For reasons that escape even myself at times, I am a fan of TAS.   

I'd like to get into it, I've just never given it a proper chance!  I'm really looking forward to the USS Antares in the Starships Collection.  It's such a cool ship, I've just never seen the TAS episode it is from!

Welcome back, look forward to seeing you post!

By the way I like the Vorlon avatar!

Thanks!  I have a cat named Kosh, too.

I'd like to get into it, I've just never given it a proper chance!  I'm really looking forward to the USS Antares in the Starships Collection.  It's such a cool ship, I've just never seen the TAS episode it is from!

FYI, the TAS episode where you see that cargo ship design is "More Tribbles, More Troubles";  it was later reused in the TOS remastered blu rays as the design for the Antares in "Charlie X."

tosrtasantares.jpg

Hope that helps. 

I wasn't here back in the say, but I am now - so welcome back!

FYI, the TAS episode where you see that cargo ship design is "More Tribbles, More Troubles";  it was later reused in the TOS remastered blu rays as the design for the Antares in "Charlie X."

tosrtasantares.jpg

Hope that helps. 

I have that very model (Eaglmoss starships collection). It is a very strange but weirdly cool ship. I love the little glimpses into a wider world that these now canonical starships provide! 

tosrtasantares.jpg

Hope that helps. 

I have that very model (Eaglmoss starships collection). It is a very strange but weirdly cool ship. I love the little glimpses into a wider world that these now canonical starships provide! 

And TAS did it first... just as it was the first show to use Kirk's middle name "Tiberius."    You go, TAS... :thumbup:

tosrtasantares.jpg

Hope that helps. 

And TAS did it first... just as it was the first show to use Kirk's middle name "Tiberius."    You go, TAS... :thumbup:

Did it really? I didn't know that! Funny how the memory cheats. I was always certain I'd heard it on TOS, but now that I rummage through the dusty set of drawers that masquerades as my memory, I can't remember in which episode. 

But everyone knows James Kirk's middle initial is really "R"...! ;)

Do you think Gary Mitchell just didn't know Jim as well as he thought he did? 

Welcome back Dr. Odd!

First thing, change your description from “Resident Forum Wierdo” because you’re not.  You’re as normal as any of us here and you need to accept that.

Second, I never found you pretentious.  It has obviously been a while but my impression of your postings is completely positive.

Third, welcome to yourself.  This makes two open Trans people on this board, perhaps more if other doors were opened.  My wife and I have several Trans friends and acquaintances at our church here in Orange, CA, more at a church we attended in Louisville, KY (yes; church, Kentucky, trans people, all in one thought) and several more online.  We both fully recognize the reality of your lives and work in every way we can to support and encourage these people and their journeys.

Back when you were active before, we had several openly bigoted assholes on the board (Mysterious Stranger comes to mind) but all of them disappeared under mysterious conditions.  I’m not sure everybody on the board would feel comfortable with a huge group hug, but nobody is going to hassle you or any other GLBTQ***** member here.

So welcome back in a big way, we’re all interesting in reading what the Dr. Odd 2.0 has to say.

PS:  I’m going to my local Target store on June 4 to buy a bag of Cheetos and a coke.  I’m prepared to confront any anti-trans protestors I may encounter.  News at 11:00.

I was just at a target and so no one protesting. I would hope the nonsense just dies down, goes away...and in the end everyone just realizes it is fine and nothing to worry about. 

I was just at a target and so no one protesting. I would hope the nonsense just dies down, goes away...and in the end everyone just realizes it is fine and nothing to worry about. 

June 4 is the date posted as the protest.  I hope my effort is for naught.

With any luck, it will be a typical protest of its kind. 3 or 4 people show up. They aim the camera's to make it look like more and declare victory.

Welcome back. I wasn't here when you first posted but I've found that this place is very accepting. 

Welcome back Doctor Odd, I recently returned after an extended absence.  I'm sure you'll enjoy being back - this is a very friendly place.  Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

ME

Welcome back Dr. Odd!

First thing, change your description from “Resident Forum Wierdo” because you’re not.  You’re as normal as any of us here and you need to accept that.

Second, I never found you pretentious.  It has obviously been a while but my impression of your postings is completely positive.

Third, welcome to yourself.  This makes two open Trans people on this board, perhaps more if other doors were opened.  My wife and I have several Trans friends and acquaintances at our church here in Orange, CA, more at a church we attended in Louisville, KY (yes; church, Kentucky, trans people, all in one thought) and several more online.  We both fully recognize the reality of your lives and work in every way we can to support and encourage these people and their journeys.

Back when you were active before, we had several openly bigoted assholes on the board (Mysterious Stranger comes to mind) but all of them disappeared under mysterious conditions.  I’m not sure everybody on the board would feel comfortable with a huge group hug, but nobody is going to hassle you or any other GLBTQ***** member here.

So welcome back in a big way, we’re all interesting in reading what the Dr. Odd 2.0 has to say.

PS:  I’m going to my local Target store on June 4 to buy a bag of Cheetos and a coke.  I’m prepared to confront any anti-trans protestors I may encounter.  News at 11:00.

This is why we love our wise and mighty "old" one (who remains ever young at heart). 

June 4 is the date posted as the protest.  I hope my effort is for naught.

A big fat hug from a proud Vulcan house pet... way to go, Mutai!   

Welcome back Dr. Odd!

Aw, thanks Mutai!  I'll be sure to vent in the kobyashi maru about this Target business.  A close trans friend of mine actually worked there, before they shut down all the Canadian Targets.

I actually attended a service at a United Church up here in Victoria, about a year ago.  At the time I was exploring my spirituality and trying to find out more about myself and the universe (not that that journey has ended, or will ever end!).  There was a rainbow flag on the door, and everyone was very welcoming.  I very much valued the experience!