Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

Filmation Book - Highly Recommended

I highly recommend this book - Lou Scheimer: Creating the Filmation Generation

If you are interested in the Filmation cartoons and live action shows, from JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA to STAR TREK TAS to TARZAV LORD OF THE JUNGLE to HE=MAN AND MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE, then this TwoMorrows Publishing paperback book is for you. Classy !

13139302_10209408582750709_8048954339050

Gus

Really liked the live action shows like Ark 2, Shazam and Isis, and Space Academy.

I used to watch a couple of those; but they're all kind of a big, sugar cereal-flavored blur now.  Haven't watched any of them in decades.

I do remember about 10 or so years ago my wife and I held a superhero party for Halloween and a friend of ours did a spot-on version of Joanna Cameron's "Isis."  She even hand sculpted the jewelry and trinkets.  It was amazing.   Needless to say, she won top prize in our little contest. 

I used to also watch Filmmation's (I think it was Filmmation's?) "Planet of the Apes" spinoff; which, like Pierre Boule's novel, had the apes living in a more 20th century-type culture (complete with airplanes and cars).

My favorite live action series from FILMATION was SHAZAM !, the Captain Marvel show.

Chosen from among all others by the immortal elders - Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, Mercury - Billy Batson and his mentor travel the highways and byways of the land on a neverending mission: to right wrongs, to develop understanding, and to seek justice for all! In time of dire need, young Billy has been granted the power by the immortals to summon awesome forces at the utterance of a single word!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7TR4ixOkhM

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

My favorite live action series from FILMATION was SHAZAM !, the Captain Marvel show.

Chosen from among all others by the immortal elders - Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, Mercury - Billy Batson and his mentor travel the highways and byways of the land on a neverending mission: to right wrongs, to develop understanding, and to seek justice for all! In time of dire need, young Billy has been granted the power by the immortals to summon awesome forces at the utterance of a single word!

And that word is....

Gomer Pyle "Shazam" /Youtube  :P

Only thing wrong with the Shazam show is that it's different than the other interpretations of Captain Marvel in that Billy is an older teen instead of a pre-teen. And who exactly is Mentor supposed to be to him? I know as fans have gotten older they come up with some rather funny yet disturbing ideas LOL.

Ark 2 was my favorite as I think it was the most adult. I watched it on DVD a few years ago and it holds up today and the message of us screwing ourselves over the environment is still sound. 

Joanna Cameron (Isis) is a real estate agent in Hawaii (unless she's retired by now) and I read an interview with her where she says every so often clients will look at her with that "I've seen her before" look and when she tells them she was Isis it's a geek-out moment LOL. I have to admit it would be for me too. For me, I count her along with Lynda Carter and Lindsay Wagner as the three super hero women of the 70's.

Space Academy was good too and had some good model work. I thought it odd that Jason of Star Command just reused the sets and models (didn't it say it took place like 100 years after SA so that's why?). Wasn't that big a fan of Jason though it is good just for Sid Haig hamming it up as the bad guy. I was also sad that they got rid of Doohan early on. I thought it was cool SA and Jason had Dr. Smith and Scotty.

Filmation was only adapting how the SHAZAM comics were done at the time, with Billy Batson as an older teenager and a news reporter for a local television station. And Mentor was Billy's uncle, as explained in the comics at the time. SHAZAM creator CC Beck was written and drawing Captain Marvel this way at the time, and Filmation just adaptaed the way the comic book presented the charater n 1974. Only years later, when SHAZAM was relaunched following CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS, the craetors changed the concept and  Billy was present as a younger teenager with his only relative being his twin sister Mary Batson.

Gus

I always took it that Mentor was in some way a guardian for Billy, not by family, but by the god's. Or more of a guide. Sort of like an Obi-won but without powers yet understanding and knowing what needs to be done.

Funny how back when it aired when I was 8 or so I never thought of any of this, but now thinking about it almost 40 years later I'm looking for a logical explanation LOL. I do remember noticing that different guys played Captain Marvel though.

Yep. Two guys played Captain Marvel - Jackson Bostwick in the first and second seasons and later John Davey in the (inferior) third season.

Bostwick showed a lot of charisma and charm in the character and Davey just looked like they gave a job to a stuntman - the guy could not act and thatswas what put an end to the show.

The entire series of SHAZAM is available on DVD

71FdIhrd-pL._SY606_.jpg

Gus

Sign in to follow this