Sign in to follow this  
Sim

Is there a genre of music you cannot stand at all?

Sim   

Is there a genre of music you cannot stand at all? And if yes, why? Is it just not your cup of tea? Or is there even a genre you even truly despise, so much you don't see any redeeming qualities in it?

Do you maybe have a prejudice towards a music genre, even though you suspect that's irrational?

I'm rather open for all kinds of genre, as long as the particular piece or song gives me the impression it comes from the heart of the performer, or is a somewhat authentic expression. Although I don't hate it, I don't care about too simple and commercialized music, like very commercial dance music -- I hardly dance, so that music has no practical value for me, and it isn't interesting in other regards.

I don't know gangsta rap well enough to judge whether there is genuine cultural value behind it, but what I've heard of it kind of repelled me. Romantization of a criminal and misogynist lifestyle? Maybe the shocking value is the message, not unlike rock music back in the 60s, which I love. Don't know. But at any rate, it's not my cup of tea.

But I have very strong prejudices against one genre: German "Volkstümliche Musik".

It's a kind of *extremely* commercialized, extremely unauthentic folk-based pop music, strong emphasis on "Heimat" topics -- landscape, square rural life, blood and soil -- which sometimes incorporates pop or swing elements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkstümliche_Musik

In Germany, it's the most popular genre among people aged 60+ of a low social status.

IMO, this music is so aggressively square that it almost causes physical pain in me, and even combines that with a so thorough commercialization that it's even more unauthentic than a pink inflatable plastic Eiffel Tower as a means to emulate Paris. It's topics -- mostly "Heimat", beautiful landscapes and happy love -- are extremely reminiscent of the escapism crap that the Nazis mass produced in the 40s to keep the people entertained and away from asking political questions in war-time (aggressively un-political, but compatible with "blood and soil" ideology).

I can't get past the association that it's just the kind of music for old Nazis, to cheer them up after they lost the war.

And it has no artistic value I could recognize whatsoever; the melodies and rhythms are so simple and predictable, that even a common punk song appears like a Bach fugue in comparison. There is not a single tone in this music that's off in the slightest, just painfully regular harmonies. And many performers don't even sing live, but perform to playback.

Yuck.

Jazz just sounds so discordant to me.

New country is slightly better, but I still don't like it. Particularly, country from the 50s to the 80s pretty much makes my skin crawl.

kc1966   

I don't know gangsta rap well enough to judge whether there is genuine cultural value behind it, but what I've heard of it kind of repelled me. Romantization of a criminal and misogynist lifestyle? Maybe the shocking value is the message, not unlike rock music back in the 60s, which I love. Don't know. But at any rate, it's not my cup of tea.

^

Totally this.  I like all types of music - from classical to pop to country to blues but I can't STAND gangsta rap.  To me it is so degrading to women and glorifying of violence.  I don't even think they are going for shock value to point out the hypocrisies of mainstream culture but are going for shock value for shock value only. 

Edited by kc1966

Sim   

Do you feel like that about all jazz?

Have to ask, because I'm just in the process of exploring that genre. ;) I understand where the feeling of discordancy comes from, when it's about more recents kinds of jazz (especially free jazz in the 60s ... but some 40s-50s bebop is very "nervous" too) ... but other kids appear much more accessible to me, like i.e. vocal swing (like the stuff Sisko sings to Kasidy in one episode), or much swing in general.

New country is slightly better, but I still don't like it. Particularly, country from the 50s to the 80s pretty much makes my skin crawl.

Is it just the music you dislike, or also the associations that come with it -- like the stereotype of the people who love such music? I.e. is it especially conservative rednecks who like old country music?

If it's the latter, maybe it's comparable to my dislike for "Volkstümliche Musik"... I just have the association with mean, authoritarian seniors who just totally missed all social developments that ever took place since ca. 1968.

^

Totally this.  I like all types of music - from classical to pop to country to blues but I can't STAND gangsta rap.  To me it is so degrading to women and glorifying of violence.  I don't even think they are going for shock value to point out the hypocrisies of mainstream culture but are going for shock value for shock value only. 

Yes... and add to that that I cannot stand (or don't understand) the aesthetics behind it. Okay, you've got an electronic beat machine. You can speak quickly in a rhythmic way. You know what a simple rhyme is. And now?

But I guess others feel the same about the aesthetics of punk music.

I was going to say gangsta rap, but I hate to be so close-minded. 

I normally don't like country & western, but in looking over my CD collection, I find that I have some Johnny Cash, Harry Nilsson and Patsy Cline songs.   I even like some of Jewel's stuff too (lovely voice; does a wicked yodel).  So while I may not be attracted to gangsta rap, I can't say for 100% certain that I would NEVER listen to it in my lifetime.   Although generally I find it too 'harsh' for my listening taste.   

So while I won't say I can't stand country & gangsta rap at all, I think it's fair to say that they're two genres I am least attracted to... 

Have to ask, because I'm just in the process of exploring that genre. ;) I understand where the feeling of discordancy comes from, when it's about more recents kinds of jazz (especially free jazz in the 60s ... but some 40s-50s bebop is very "nervous" too) ... but other kids appear much more accessible to me, like i.e. vocal swing (like the stuff Sisko sings to Kasidy in one episode), or much swing in general.

well, I love Jazz... :thumbup: Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole... 

Sim   

And Vic Fontaine? :laugh:

I don't remember from the top of my head... was there a scene when Garak visits Vic's and makes a comment about this kind of earth entertainment?

At the moment, I'm more into instrumental jazz, hard-bop and post-bop in particular, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus in the late 50s/60s and so on... but that may well change as my exploration of jazz progresses ...

Edited by Sim

I love Sinatra, Martin and NKC, but I don't really consider them jazz so much as just singers.  Really GOOD singers, but singers.

And yes, I love all three of those choices.  
As for jazz?  I love the older stuff.  Duke Ellington, Dizzie Gillespie, Louis Armstrong, etc.  

Again, my musical tastes are all over the map.

Having not heard much rap or hip-hop, I can't comment too much on those.  Don't like very much heavy metal, especially the screaming stuff.  Human voices aren't meant to do that.  Also, as much as I enjoy Bluegrass instrumentals, if you add a nasal tenor, I'm outta there.

Sim   

Having not heard much rap or hip-hop, I can't comment too much on those.  Don't like very much heavy metal, especially the screaming stuff.  Human voices aren't meant to do that.  Also, as much as I enjoy Bluegrass instrumentals, if you add a nasal tenor, I'm outta there.

Oh yes, extreme metal isn't my cup of tea, either ... I don't mind when it's somewhat hard, I can still stand "classic" stuff like Megadeath, Slayer or Motörhead sometimes. Though that's close to my limits. When it goes further into "death metal" or "black metal" (not sure which is which), I'm out, too.

kenman   

I really cannot stand country music at all.  Just irks the crap out of me.  I don't listen to much hip hop, but there is some I enjoy.  But country music...yech.

Locutus   

I really cannot stand country music at all.  Just irks the crap out of me.  I don't listen to much hip hop, but there is some I enjoy.  But country music...yech.

I'm with you there.  Country music just gets under my skin.

Rap/hip hop for sure. It lacks in music. That's basically it. It lacks in melody, rhythm, and lyrics. Put a sample and/or drum machine. It does take talent to actually stand out rapping. I am distinguishing that from saying dumb stuff that rhymes with a bunch of swear words but generally we don't see that type of rapper anymore. 

Going along with that practically any pop music(stuffed geared for radio, one hit wonders, etc...). Once in a while something comes along that I like but it's rare. 

Rap/hip hop for sure. It lacks in music. That's basically it. It lacks in melody, rhythm, and lyrics. Put a sample and/or drum machine. It does take talent to actually stand out rapping. I am distinguishing that from saying dumb stuff that rhymes with a bunch of swear words but generally we don't see that type of rapper anymore. 

Going along with that practically any pop music(stuffed geared for radio, one hit wonders, etc...). Once in a while something comes along that I like but it's rare. 

I have to admit, I do prefer melody, rhythm and such.   Actual music.   I look at gangsta rap/hip hop as more 'beat (or urban) poetry.'   On that basis?  It gives me insight into another mindset, and that's always interesting to me.   But as 'music'?  Yeah, it's not really my thing. 

But I try to keep an open mind regarding most forms of music because I think (perhaps naively) there's usually some value... even in the stuff I'm not too fond of.  I remember hearing Meghan Trainor last year (for the first time), and I have to say there was something about her stuff that I found interesting.   Normally my old-fart brain would say, "Oh god no... not this teeny-bopper schmaltz."  But I liked her style.   I was similarly surprised with Adele a few years earlier; I thought I was the wrong demographic for her stuff till I listened to it.   

Now Justin Bieber.  That s#!t I can't stand... though I'm not sure if he qualifies as a one-person genre (unless Crap is a new musical genre?)

I hate jazz. SO much. I can't STAND it. I want order and structure in my music, not instruments being tortured. I saw an interview with some jazz musician dude a little while ago and he said that there are only two possible ways of reacting when you hear jazz for the first time: You either fall in love with it immediately or you scream and run. I'm in the second group.

I'm also not big on classical music, but I don't hate it, it just bores me, and I prefer to avoid it.

Sim   

I hate jazz. SO much. I can't STAND it. I want order and structure in my music, not instruments being tortured. I saw an interview with some jazz musician dude a little while ago and he said that there are only two possible ways of reacting when you hear jazz for the first time: You either fall in love with it immediately or you scream and run. I'm in the second group.

I'm also not big on classical music, but I don't hate it, it just bores me, and I prefer to avoid it.

You all break my heart! :( I'm just developing a huge love for jazz, and you all can't stand it ... *tears*

;)

But yes, jazz, or at least good jazz isn't very "structured and ordered", that's true. When you have a love for that, I see how jazz is not your cup of tea.

Classical music, at least much of it except for particular pieces, bored me at first, too. I grew up with it, as my parents almost exclusively listen to classical music or French or Spanish chansons, so classical was just "that boring music my boring parents like" for a long time.

But after taking the effort of listening to several hundred CDs of classical music and exploring it, I've grown an ear for it. Now I love it.

It's funny, do you know this effect that when you're not familiar with a genre, everything of it sounds exactly the same? :P I still feel like that about much harder metal, which my former flatmate used to listen to a lot.

Btw, IIRC, you recommended Dream Theatre and Nightwish to me, two years ago or so. Was that really you? I bought two CDs of each. I found Nightwish is not my cup of tea... don't know if that's the right word, but maybe it's got too much pathos for my taste. But I found Dream Theatre quite interesting.

Edited by Sim

You all break my heart! :( I'm just developing a huge love for jazz, and you all can't stand it ... *tears*

;)

But yes, jazz, or at least good jazz isn't very "structured and ordered", that's true. When you have a love for that, I see how jazz is not your cup of tea.

Classical music, at least much of it except for particular pieces, bored me at first, too. I grew up with it, as my parents almost exclusively listen to classical music or French or Spanish chansons, so classical was just "that boring music my boring parents like" for a long time.

But after taking the effort of listening to several hundred CDs of classical music and exploring it, I've grown an ear for it. Now I love it.

It's funny, do you know this effect that when you're not familiar with a genre, everything of it sounds exactly the same? :P I still feel like that about much harder metal, which my former flatmate used to listen to a lot.

Btw, IIRC, you recommended Dream Theatre and Nightwish to me, two years ago or so. Was that really you? I bought two CDs of each. I found Nightwish is not my cup of tea... don't know if that's the right word, but maybe it's got too much pathos for my taste. But I found Dream Theatre quite interesting.

Nope, that wasn't me. I did probably mention Nightwish at some point, though. That probably WAS me. (I generally tend to say that Jean-Luc and I would be at each other's throats about only ONE subject, and that subject is music, and if there's one band I'd probably get him to listen to that gets SOMEWHAT close to combining both our tastes in music it MIGHT be older!Nightwish).

But yeah, all of jazz sounds the same to me, I know the feeling. It all sounds like screeching noise. The only way it gets worse is when someone actually also SINGS to it. :P

I'm actually pretty much fine with any kind of music (especially metal but also 80s pop, ALL of it, YES please), there is something I like in almost every genre, except, well, jazz and classical. (I DO enjoy it sometimes when classical music gets mixed with other genres, though. THAT one I don't object to. But you'd never find me willingly listen to Mozart or something. I'd be like "Get me Rammstein or get out". :P )

Edited by Mr.Picard

Sim   

;)

Nope, that wasn't me. I did probably mention Nightwish at some point, though. That probably WAS me. (I generally tend to say that Jean-Luc and I would be at each other's throats about only ONE subject, and that subject is music, and if there's one band I'd probably get him to listen to that gets SOMEWHAT close to combining both our tastes in music it MIGHT be older!Nightwish).

But yeah, all of jazz sounds the same to me, I know the feeling. It all sounds like screeching noise. The only way it gets worse is when someone actually also SINGS to it. :P

I'm actually pretty much fine with any kind of music (especially metal but also 80s pop, ALL of it, YES please), there is something I like in almost every genre, except, well, jazz and classical. (I DO enjoy it sometimes when classical music gets mixed with other genres, though. THAT one I don't object to. But you'd never find me willingly listen to Mozart or something. I'd be like "Get me Rammstein or get out". :P )

Ah ok, so it was someone else who made this recommendation... but now as you mention it, I DO remember you saying this about Nightwish and Jean-Luc and you. :)

And I can imagine what kind of struggle that must be, between you and Jean-Luc, when it's about music ... =)

Maybe the two of you could even find some common ground on progressive rock, such as Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Yes! or Spock's Beard? I imagine Jean-Luc might appreciate the EL&P album "Pictures of an Exhibition", which is a rock version of the classical Mussorgsky piece. :)

Edited by Sim

;)

Ah ok, so it was someone else who made this recommendation... but now as you mention it, I DO remember you saying this about Nightwish and Jean-Luc and you. :)

And I can imagine what kind of struggle that must be, between you and Jean-Luc, when it's about music ... =)

Maybe the two of you could even find some common ground on progressive rock, such as Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Yes! or Spock's Beard? I imagine Jean-Luc might appreciate the EL&P album "Pictures of an Exhibition", which is a rock version of the classical Mussorgsky piece. :)

I'd be the type who throws Metallica's S&M at him, actually. lol It would have to be this way - with me giving in and trying to come up with classical music versions of rock songs, not trying to find rock versions of his songs. He'd act much like he does with Jono's (amazing!) music if I tried that. No chance. (I WOULD probably shove Falco's Rock Me Amadeus at him at some point, just to make him screech like a pterodactyl, haha.) I'd have to be the one who moves, at least slightly, since I'm much less against classical music mixed with rock than he'd be against rock versions of classical stuff. It would be a constant battle ground, though... I not only have this unfortunate tendency to listen to VERY LOUD Rammstein and Disturbed, I also love the most annoying 90s Eurodance stuff. He'd run away screaming. What no Cardassians or Romulans could ever accomplish, I'd manage. I mean my taste is far more varied than his, he listens to various classical music sure, sure, but I have this HUGE variety of all sorts of musical genres.. I mean I can easily throw some Eminem into the mix or 80s pop, or how about some country music or Bon Jovi or maybe a little old German Schlager... I'm SURE he'd appreciate THAT... not. Haha.

No, really. We'd have to reach the diplomatic compromise of "when you're not here, I listen to my stuff, when I'm not here, you listen to yours". Otherwise things would end up in a divorce. :P

It could be worse tho... he could be Riker and love jazz. THAT would be sufficient reason for an IMMEDIATE divorce. Haha.

I hate hip-hop/rap. I mean MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Salt N Peppa and that is as far as me and rap go.

I also dislike country. However, if you notice a lot of these 'country' artist are trying to get their music to sound more pop/rockish than country.

Taylor Swift is more popish than country, and Miranda Lambert is more rockish than country. So we see that country music has evolved.

maneth   

I can listen to and enjoy to almost any music genre, although I must admit that I can't take much gangsta rap, trance or death metal. My taste in music is rather eclectic, my current playlist has a lot of different stuff: AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Adele, Lady Antebellum, Howard Shore (LotR), Bear McCreary (NuBSG), Christopher Franke (Babylon 5), John Williams (SW), Iron Maiden, Chisu (Finnish singer), Irina (Finnish singer), Eppu Normaali (Finnish band), La Oreja de van Gogh, Vaya con Dios, Alejandro Sanz, Sabaton, Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams, Dolly Parton, Janis Joplin, The Rolling Stones, Reckless Love, Iron Maiden, Guns n' Roses, Aerosmith, Madonna, Simon &Garfunkel, 3 Doors Down... That said, I mostly tend to listen to 80s rock or pop.

I can listen to and enjoy to almost any music genre, although I must admit that I can't take much gangsta rap, trance or death metal. My taste in music is rather eclectic, my current playlist has a lot of different stuff: AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Adele, Lady Antebellum, Howard Shore (LotR), Bear McCreary (NuBSG), Christopher Franke (Babylon 5), John Williams (SW), Iron Maiden, Chisu (Finnish singer), Irina (Finnish singer), Eppu Normaali (Finnish band), La Oreja de van Gogh, Vaya con Dios, Alejandro Sanz, Sabaton, Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams, Dolly Parton, Janis Joplin, The Rolling Stones, Reckless Love, Iron Maiden, Guns n' Roses, Aerosmith, Madonna, Simon &Garfunkel, 3 Doors Down... That said, I mostly tend to listen to 80s rock or pop.

^
You're tastes are similar to mine; all over the place.   I can go from classical to Iron Maiden on a single mix CD.   And I too, like Howard Shore; very underrated composer.  I also have his soundtracks for "Ed Wood" (1994) and "Philadelphia" (1993).   

scenario   

The only type of music I can't stand is elevator music. 

I used to dislike rap until I started listening to the musical Hamilton.  I tend to judge music by the individual song. I understand the complaints about how rap doesn't have all of the elements of real music but then I listen to songs where the band puts on a drum machine, plays the same 1/2 dozen riffs on the guitar and base over and over again and sings and I don't see where that's much different than rap musically. 

@ Sim; Dream Theater might have been my doing, I'm a big fan of theirs.

My tastes are all over the place, started off with metal of various genres, began exploring my dad's collection of seventies prog rock as a lot of what I was listening to was inspiried by these groups. As I've gotten older my tastes have expended and I listen to most things now, Rap and Hip Hop aside

For those of you who haven't yet found a hip hop/rap artist you connect with, might I recommend Kendrick Lamar's album To Pimp A Butterfly?  Very modern (and VERY well done) music with lyrics that easily transcend the expectation of the genre's stereotype.  Warning, the album is NSFW.

I tried to convince my friend a few months ago that Kendrick Lamar is doing the same sort of thing Bob Dylan was doing in the mid-sixties.  He didn't buy it, though. :P  There was a lot of shock and subversion to what Dylan was doing then, particularly on tracks like "Subterranean Homesick Blues", "It's Alright Ma", and "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35".  Kendrick is doing the same thing in my opinion, only using a different medium.

Now, as for me, I love nearly all music, at least where I can hear some soul.  Radiohead's been my favourite for years, but I love Miles Davis, Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchel, Pink Floyd, Leonard Cohen, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Kate Bush, and more.  I think the most beautiful sound in the world is the bossa nova of Antonio Carlos Jobim.

As for music I dislike, I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly what it is, but the sort of music they had playing when I worked at a grocery store deli really started to grate after a few listens.

Sign in to follow this