Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

DC Movies Crisis ? JUSTICE LEAGUE in Chaos ?

9 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

A friend of mine saw it last night and said something about CGI ‘makeup’ rendered over Henry Cavill’s upper lip (?!?).   I’ve heard (and I don’t know if this is true) that he refused to shave his mustache for the film so they CGId some skin over his ‘stache. My friend said it was distracting as HELL.   

I'd heard he had the hairy lip for another film and they are the ones who wouldn't let him shave it for the JL reshoots.

Either way, I've seen stills and the CGI is bad.

9 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

We’ve decided to rent/Netflix this one.

The early reviews aren’t enough to get me to the theatre.  I’d rather save my moolah for Pixar’s "Coco” or some other movie. 

Maybe my budget theater or something. I was never in a rush for this thing in the first place, but, with its awfulness confirmed I'm definitely not in a rush.

They're gonna wish they had my money because this thing needs $600M before it touches black ink.

Have seen it twice already myself, and doubtful I'll bother with JL at all, and, if I do, it'll be for nothing but seeing how Gadot works out.

44 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Have seen it twice already myself, and doubtful I'll bother with JL at all, and, if I do, it'll be for nothing but seeing how Gadot works out.

How Gal Gadot works out. No need to spend your money. You're welcome. ;)

JUSTICE LEAGUE Is Going All In Toward A Disappointing $94.4 Million Start In The United States

Following optimistic projections in the $115M-$120M range, it looks like Justice League will indeed fall short of expectations and might actually not even cross $100 million at the domestic box office.

It's now basically going to track like Suicide Squad, so it's looking like it's gonna bring in $750M-ish global.

Which means virtually squat in profit.

$281.5M global.

It's got a month to make money because once The Last Jedi  drops, this thing is done. The only market it has left to open in is Japan, so this is looking pretty bad.

DC cannot be happy.

kenman   
On 11/18/2017 at 1:21 AM, Sehlat Vie said:

A friend of mine saw it last night and said something about CGI ‘makeup’ rendered over Henry Cavill’s upper lip (?!?).   I’ve heard (and I don’t know if this is true) that he refused to shave his mustache for the film so they CGId some skin over his ‘stache. My friend said it was distracting as HELL.   

Yea that is the case.  He probably, like Affleck, is one foot out the door of this series, and decided to put whatever movie he grew the stache for ahead of the multimillion dollar franchise.  And rather than reschedule, or buy a fake mustache for the other studio to glue to his face...Warner Brothers paid different computer graphic companies to smear computer wax on his face and pretend its fine.  Now I can't argue to it's distracting-ness or not, as I have not and probably will not ever, seen this movie...but I do know that they spent a ton of money covering it up with computer animation. Which is the biggest waste of money in the world.

Just now, kenman said:

Now I can't argue to it's distracting-ness or not, as I have not and probably will not ever, seen this movie...but I do know that they spent a ton of money covering it up with computer animation. Which is the biggest waste of money in the world.

It would’ve been far easier for the production team on Cavill’s other movie to devise a really believable fake mustache than it would be for an army of computer artists to try to digitally erase a real one. 

kenman   
12 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

$281.5M global.

It's got a month to make money because once The Last Jedi  drops, this thing is done. The only market it has left to open in is Japan, so this is looking pretty bad.

DC cannot be happy.

They are about to fire....oh wait they just realized they never put anyone in charge of the damn thing...oops!

Just now, Sehlat Vie said:

It would’ve been far easier for the production team on Cavill’s other movie to devise a really believable fake mustache than it would be for an army of computer artists to try to digitally erase a real one. 

I do believe that because it was WB reshoots, and contractual things...that they would've had to front the bill for the other studio in terms of the cost of whatever prosthetic mustache, and or CG'ing back on the mustache that would be required.  Why they are only thinking CG can solve these issues I have NO idea.  But I read that they decided it would be cheaper to CG OFF the stache and CG one back on.  I agree that a fake stache appliance would've made more sense...but I dunno.  Those usually look obvious to me so maybe they felt it wasn't worth it?  

2 minutes ago, kenman said:

They are about to fire....oh wait they just realized they never put anyone in charge of the damn thing...oops!

We don't need no Kevin Feige type. It'll be fine.

Really.

7 hours ago, kenman said:

I do believe that because it was WB reshoots, and contractual things...that they would've had to front the bill for the other studio in terms of the cost of whatever prosthetic mustache, and or CG'ing back on the mustache that would be required.  Why they are only thinking CG can solve these issues I have NO idea.  But I read that they decided it would be cheaper to CG OFF the stache and CG one back on.  I agree that a fake stache appliance would've made more sense...but I dunno.  Those usually look obvious to me so maybe they felt it wasn't worth it?  

I've seen very convincing mustaches and beard appliances, but I also think there's a certain arrogance creeping into the field of CGI art these days.  The belief that 'we can do anything' and that no matter what gets screwed up in production, 'we can fix it in post.'   Sometimes you really can't just fix it in post.  It needs to be shot with care and with forethought.  I guess that's becoming 'old school' filmmaking, who knows...

JUSTICE LEAGUE Could Ultimately Wind Up Costing Warner Bros. Between $50 And $100 Million

The bad news for Justice League continues to pile on, as it's now been revealed that Zack Snyder's DC team-up flick could end up costing Warner Bros. a lot of money. Nite. Boa noite !

No, sir.

The audience deserved a better movie.

But the DCEU stuck with Snyder through one trainwreck after another. Honestly, I bet a lot of the execs there were either ticked off, shocked, or both that people flocked to Wonder Woman. But they did. And they did because it was everything a WW movie should have been.

There are no shortage of articles about how Zack Snyder sees superheroes as dark, opportunistic creatures, but one of the most telling bits is here:

The Q&A touches on a lot of different topics, but one of the most striking parts of the discussion comes when Snyder talks about his dislike for comics without gore or sex. He said:

You could call it "high-brow" comics, but to me, that comic book was just pretty sexy! I had a buddy who tried getting me into "normal" comic books, but I was all like, "No one is having sex or killing each other. This isn’t really doing it for me." I was a little broken, that way. So when Watchmen came along, I was, "This is more my scene."

Snyder not liking comic books where people don't kill each other explains his Superman; traditionally, Superman's entire existence is about inspiring and being bright and hopeful, but Snyder's iteration of the character kills someone in Man of Steel.

Later in the interview, Snyder talks about Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy, revealing that if he'd been at the helm, he would have gone a lot darker than Nolan did by incorporating prison rape:

Everyone says that about [Christopher Nolan’s] Batman Begins. "Batman’s dark." I’m like, okay, "No, Batman’s cool." He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn’t, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that’s how that would go.

It's a mystery why Snyder believes that prison rape, sex, and death are what people want to see in superhero films — that comic book fans who love Superman really wanted to see him start killing people, or that Batman fans would really relish seeing the greatest detective alive not be able to tell the difference between a boat and a crime lord.

Link

There's more. There's always more.

But it boils down to that audiences don't really have interest in Snyder's idea of who these people are. I don't. I don't even have an interest in anything Snyder does again after these glimpses into his Id.

So, shock of shocks, people have abandoned his vision yet again. Add plentiful and poor CGI, and a new director in to try to piece something together so it's not clinically depressing you end up with a film that no one asked for or wants.

The film didn't deserve a better fate; the heroes deserved a better film.

Edited by prometheus59650

6 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

No, sir.

The audience deserved a better movie.

But the DCEU stuck with Snyder through one trainwreck after another. Honestly, I bet a lot of the execs there were either ticked off, shocked, or both that people flocked to Wonder Woman. But they did. And they did because it was everything a WW movie should have been.

There are no shortage of articles about how Zack Snyder sees superheroes as dark, opportunistic creatures, but one of the most telling bits is here:

The Q&A touches on a lot of different topics, but one of the most striking parts of the discussion comes when Snyder talks about his dislike for comics without gore or sex. He said:

You could call it "high-brow" comics, but to me, that comic book was just pretty sexy! I had a buddy who tried getting me into "normal" comic books, but I was all like, "No one is having sex or killing each other. This isn’t really doing it for me." I was a little broken, that way. So when Watchmen came along, I was, "This is more my scene."

Snyder not liking comic books where people don't kill each other explains his Superman; traditionally, Superman's entire existence is about inspiring and being bright and hopeful, but Snyder's iteration of the character kills someone in Man of Steel.

Later in the interview, Snyder talks about Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy, revealing that if he'd been at the helm, he would have gone a lot darker than Nolan did by incorporating prison rape:

Everyone says that about [Christopher Nolan’s] Batman Begins. "Batman’s dark." I’m like, okay, "No, Batman’s cool." He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn’t, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that’s how that would go.

It's a mystery why Snyder believes that prison rape, sex, and death are what people want to see in superhero films — that comic book fans who love Superman really wanted to see him start killing people, or that Batman fans would really relish seeing the greatest detective alive not be able to tell the difference between a boat and a crime lord.

Link

There's more. There's always more.

But it boils down to that audiences don't really have interest in Snyder's idea of who these people are. I don't. I don't even have an interest in anything Snyder does again after these glimpses into his Id.

So, shock of shocks, people have abandoned his vision yet again. Add plentiful and poor CGI, and a new director in to try to piece something together so it's not clinically depressing you end up with a film that no one asked for or wants.

The film didn't deserve a better fate; the heroes deserved a better film.

Yeah, because a little prison rape is something the audience really wants in their PG-13 superhero movies...

YNgmlTp.gif  << Oh, DC....

33 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Yeah, because a little prison rape is something the audience really wants in their PG-13 superhero movies...

YNgmlTp.gif  << Oh, DC....

They stuck with him from crap film to crap film. I swear I don't understand it.

Affleck's already gone, and they've already said that they're not going to try interconnecting all the different films, so they really should reboot Batman and Superman entirely with someone who understands the characters and doesn't think a superhero is into it for the free murder or publicity.

8 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

They stuck with him from crap film to crap film. I swear I don't understand it.

Affleck's already gone, and they've already said that they're not going to try interconnecting all the different films, so they really should reboot Batman and Superman entirely with someone who understands the characters and doesn't think a superhero is into it for the free murder or publicity.

I say they should just give it a rest till they come up with a genuinely new, fresh or at least exciting approach.   These movies are such a mess because they don’t seem to have a mission statement; these movies are ‘dark cool-looking s#!t’ strewn together because... you know, it’s dark, cool-looking s#!t.   No rhyme or reason to them.  

They need to give it a break, made another Wonder Woman solo movie (the only element that works), and get together their TV team to make a decent rebooted JL movie in a few years (the DC TV team seem to be able to make it work as well).

Just now, Sehlat Vie said:

They need to give it a break, made another Wonder Woman solo movie (the only element that works), and get together their TV team to make a decent movie (the DC TV team seem to be able to make it work as well).

At the very least maybe eventually use the TV teams, who seem to "get it," audition the movie team.

They really have to burn it all down.

32 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

At the very least maybe eventually use the TV teams, who seem to "get it," audition the movie team.

They really have to burn it all down.

Except Gadot’s Wonder Woman.

Frankly, I’d be okay with letting Batman, Superman and the rest go to hell and just do a string of WW movies. 

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Except Gadot’s Wonder Woman.

Frankly, I’d be okay with letting Batman, Superman and the rest go to hell and just do a string of WW movies. 

Yeah, but there's no way DC does that.

Let Wonder Woman 2 go, then reboot Supes and Batman without fresh "origin stories." 

8 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Yeah, but there's no way DC does that.

Let Wonder Woman 2 go, then reboot Supes and Batman without fresh "origin stories." 

^
Yeah, we need another set of Batman and Superman origin stories like we need yet another 'fresh take' on Spiderman. 

48 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^
Yeah, we need another set of Batman and Superman origin stories like we need yet another 'fresh take' on Spiderman. 

There might be three people in the deepest parts of Siberia with no clue how Superman and Batman came to be. 

8 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

There might be three people in the deepest parts of Siberia with no clue how Superman and Batman came to be. 

Or maybe a group of alien abductees that were taken from Earth in 1929...:laugh:

50 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Or maybe a group of alien abductees that were taken from Earth in 1929...:laugh:

Hah. At this point they're the ones with the more interesting story. :)

Sign in to follow this