Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

DC Movies Crisis ? JUSTICE LEAGUE in Chaos ?

610 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, The Founder said:

If DC was dying ... Wonder Woman just changed that. The film was a nice addition to the DCverse.

Yeah, I just saw that today as well... hell of a shot in the arm, wasn't it?  It wasn't just a good action/superhero movie; it was also a lot of fun.   And fun is probably the last thing I expect from a DC movie these days. :laugh:

Maybe Whedon is saving it after "Zack Snyder tragically stepped away from the production."

"Tragically."

:laugh: Bwahahahahaha

JUSTICE LEAGUE Reshoot Set Photos Seemingly Reveal WONDER WOMAN Flashbacks

The Avengers director Joss Whedon is at the helm of Justice League reshoots currently taking place and set photos have surfaced which reveal some interesting ties to Wonder Woman........

I can envision the note that went down to Joss from the studio: More Wonder Woman.  LOL

Gus

On 6/13/2017 at 1:30 PM, GustavoLeao said:
JUSTICE LEAGUE Reshoot Set Photos Seemingly Reveal WONDER WOMAN Flashbacks

The Avengers director Joss Whedon is at the helm of Justice League reshoots currently taking place and set photos have surfaced which reveal some interesting ties to Wonder Woman........

I can envision the note that went down to Joss from the studio: More Wonder Woman.  LOL

Gus

Given that Whedon walked away from an earlier attempt at putting WW on film that was derailed by the DC suits, I'm sure he feels the burn of this deep irony just as we, the fans, do.

4 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Given that Whedon walked away from an earlier attempt at putting WW on film that was derailed by the DC suits, I'm sure he feels the burn of this deep irony just as we, the fans, do.

I was thinking the same.   He was a scriptwriter on that project as well, if I’m not mistaken.  Karma, baby... ;)

The DCEU's biggest problem is that everyone liked Wonder Woman.

A piece of the commentary:

That has more to do with theme than it does with any specific character. Wonder Woman is optimistic. Gal Godot’s Diana wants to be a hero. She leaves Themyscira to be a hero, and while her faith is tested, her resolve ultimately holds. She climbs out of the trenches in WWI because there are human lives at stake and she’s going to protect them. Hers is a movie about a superhero making the choice to be a superhero, without any expectation of praise or reward.

That’s more or less the elevator pitch for superheroes as a concept, but it’s strangely at odds with everything we’ve seen from the DCEU thus far. Prior to Wonder Woman, DC’s output included two grim deconstructions of Superman and a third film about supervillains. All three have been skeptical of altruism as a concept, as if the most implausible thing about superhero movies is the hero’s willingness to help other people.

A FUNDAMENTALLY SELFISH WORLDVIEW — WHERE HEROISM IS A TEST OF SELF, NOT A SERVICE PERFORMED FOR OTHER PEOPLE

Most of that trickles down from director Zack Snyder, the primary architect of the DCEU. In his two Superman outings, Snyder struggles with the idea of basic human decency. In fact, it seems to be utterly mystifying to him. Kevin Costner’s Jonathan Kent spent most of his screen time in Man of Steel trying to convince Clark not to be Superman, to the point that he was willing to die so his son wouldn’t have to be a hero. He lets himself get picked up in a tornado instead of letting actual Superman carry him to safety, based only on the assumption that there would be witnesses and that Clark would then become a public figure.

While I don't use the word to mean criminal or cruel, though I could make an argument that they sort of are, there is something fundamentally indecent about the other heroes of the DCEU that simply doesn't exist with Marvel.

There is much I agree with here. Few people seem to LIKE Snyder's universe. I know I really don't. DC has to choose their path, though I argue that the public already has.

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

The DCEU's biggest problem is that everyone liked Wonder Woman.

A piece of the commentary:

That has more to do with theme than it does with any specific character. Wonder Woman is optimistic. Gal Godot’s Diana wants to be a hero. She leaves Themyscira to be a hero, and while her faith is tested, her resolve ultimately holds. She climbs out of the trenches in WWI because there are human lives at stake and she’s going to protect them. Hers is a movie about a superhero making the choice to be a superhero, without any expectation of praise or reward.

That’s more or less the elevator pitch for superheroes as a concept, but it’s strangely at odds with everything we’ve seen from the DCEU thus far. Prior to Wonder Woman, DC’s output included two grim deconstructions of Superman and a third film about supervillains. All three have been skeptical of altruism as a concept, as if the most implausible thing about superhero movies is the hero’s willingness to help other people.

A FUNDAMENTALLY SELFISH WORLDVIEW — WHERE HEROISM IS A TEST OF SELF, NOT A SERVICE PERFORMED FOR OTHER PEOPLE

Most of that trickles down from director Zack Snyder, the primary architect of the DCEU. In his two Superman outings, Snyder struggles with the idea of basic human decency. In fact, it seems to be utterly mystifying to him. Kevin Costner’s Jonathan Kent spent most of his screen time in Man of Steel trying to convince Clark not to be Superman, to the point that he was willing to die so his son wouldn’t have to be a hero. He lets himself get picked up in a tornado instead of letting actual Superman carry him to safety, based only on the assumption that there would be witnesses and that Clark would then become a public figure.

While I don't use the word to mean criminal or cruel, though I could make an argument that they sort of are, there is something fundamentally indecent about the other heroes of the DCEU that simply doesn't exist with Marvel.

There is much I agree with here. Few people seem to LIKE Snyder's universe. I know I really don't. DC has to choose their path, though I argue that the public already has.

WW has an optimism and a can-do feeling that I haven’t seen in a DC movie since 1978’s Superman The Movie.  
Felt really GOOD to see it again, and also done in a way that was self-aware and savvy, not naive and corny. 

2 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

WW has an optimism and a can-do feeling that I haven’t seen in a DC movie since 1978’s Superman The Movie.  
Felt really GOOD to see it again, and also done in a way that was self-aware and savvy, not naive and corny. 

And I can't help but wonder if that's what this seeming plethora of reshoots is about: dispelling some of the bitter angst that Snyder seems to want his heroes to wallow in.  

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0