Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

DC Movies Crisis ? JUSTICE LEAGUE in Chaos ?

You mean like Hulk? Or that army guy friend of Iron Man?

Actually, exactly like that, though it should happen with the big guns too. 

Affleck is too old.  And he's not the guy BORN to play Batman.  I think one thing I would do is de-age Affleck as best as I could.  Make him look younger and ignore any continuity that has him active for 20 years or whatever it was.  Let's make the character younger despite the actor and forget the whole concept of Batman being broken down.  Let's get Batman in his prime.  As others have pointed out--it only takes a little Just For Men because Affleck is in good shape.

Then when recasting happens, it's not a big deal for the character.

It's frustrating that yes, I would agree to lose Cavill, because he LOOKS the part from the neck down, but it's true--he's just too mean looking.  He has no warmth.

I would not only lost Cavill, but the entire MOS movie would no longer be canon.  This is one case where I feel that if you can't start over, ignore and fix. Think of it like James R. Kirk--as a show finds itself, things develop differently.

And yes, the Flash movie has nothing to do with The Flash on TV.  It TOTALLY could and I do think that with the right writers, the multiverse would make an awesome story.

Imagine the movie Flash meets the TV Flash on the big screen.

Thing is--if we all agree that the DCCU needs to be blown up and restarted--you really have to recast everyone, and do a Justice League movie right.

kenman   

Affleck is too old.  And he's not the guy BORN to play Batman.  I think one thing I would do is de-age Affleck as best as I could.  Make him look younger and ignore any continuity that has him active for 20 years or whatever it was.  Let's make the character younger despite the actor and forget the whole concept of Batman being broken down.  Let's get Batman in his prime.  As others have pointed out--it only takes a little Just For Men because Affleck is in good shape.

It's frustrating that yes, I would agree to lose Cavill, because he LOOKS the part from the neck down, but it's true--he's just too mean looking.  He has no warmth.

I would not only lost Cavill, but the entire MOS movie would no longer be canon.  This is one case where I feel that if you can't start over, ignore and fix. Think of it like James R. Kirk--as a show finds itself, things develop differently.

And yes, the Flash movie has nothing to do with The Flash on TV.  It TOTALLY could and I do think that with the right writers, the multiverse would make an awesome story.

Thing is--if we all agree that the DCCU needs to be blown up and restarted--you really have to recast everyone, and do a Justice League movie right.

I haven't seen it so forgive me, but did Affleck have a walker?  Was he really TOO old for the role?  He looks young for the age he actually is so they had to put grey streaks just to make him look the slightl older and whether Batman they apparently wanted. You are putting more emphasis on age than anything else in his performance, and since practically everyone (not just here but everywhere I've seen) seems to agree that he was the best part of the movie....I just wonder what it was he did beyond playing it a little older that bugged you so?  If it is just the age...I would say try to get over it...they just did a younger Batman, I'd rather they didn't repeat it. At least they tried something different.

That said...I still have few plans in seeing anything they are planning on doing with DC. 

I haven't seen it so forgive me, but did Affleck have a walker?  Was he really TOO old for the role?  He looks young for the age he actually is so they had to put grey streaks just to make him look the slightl older and whether Batman they apparently wanted. You are putting more emphasis on age than anything else in his performance, and since practically everyone (not just here but everywhere I've seen) seems to agree that he was the best part of the movie....I just wonder what it was he did beyond playing it a little older that bugged you so?  If it is just the age...I would say try to get over it...they just did a younger Batman, I'd rather they didn't repeat it. At least they tried something different.

That said...I still have few plans in seeing anything they are planning on doing with DC. 

Affleck was 'aged up' a bit in makeup.   He's only 43 (the new 30).   He could easily get de-aged a bit and play 35.  Easy peasy.   Batman shouldn't be TOO young; they already had an origins story ("Batman Begins"); they really don't need to go through all of that again.   Just put Batman in cold; at the height of his career.  One way Affleck's age works FOR him... he doesn't need an origin or a reboot. 

Crisis in Infinite DCs. 

Wait, what - there was a Flash movie without using the TV Flash? Why? Their TV universe works! Or am I reading that wrong?

Truth is, I have so little interest in the DCCU because it's been so bad for so long. They're idiots. A reboot would only work if they set fire to absolutely everything and rebuilt from the ground up. 

Getting their TV people to rebuild it wouldn't be a bad idea, but I'm sure they're happy where they are. 

Not yet. The movie is coming out later and they cast someone else in that role. DC has made clear that the movies have no relation to the tv shows; a HUGE mistake imo. While not great, Arrow and especially The Flash have been consistently more fun than the movies. 

The Flash TV show is great! So, they're separate universes. I can see the thinking - Marvel's had trouble integrating their TV and movie arms, but only for the purposes of crossovers because of scheduling, not stylistically.

Sort of proves that they believe the two markets are entirely separate. Or just too difficult to reconcile.

In my opinion, I do feel Affleck is too old for the role.  No, he did not have a walker.  But for THIS purpose--a DC Justice League universe, I strongly feel that Batman should be played by a younger actor and should be at his physical peak.  I don't want to hear about his injuries and arthritis and the toll taken on him after years of fighting crime.

Don't get me wrong--that DOES have a place in say, a solo Batman movie that wants to explore that aspect of his like, like Dark Knight Returns, but not HERE.

Now if they decide to ignore all aspects of BvS, including Batman's age, I wouldn't be more friendly to the idea of Affleck playing the role a little longer, but lose the grey hair and just pretend the character is much younger. 

And let's go with Affleck was the best part of the movie.  I don't think he was, because he didn't play a true to form version of the character.  He played a murderer who used guns and didn't have the respect for life Batman must have.  He was more like the Punisher in a Batman suit.  So another change I would make is to restore the limits that Batman places on himself.

I don't think Affleck was so good that he defined the role.  He isn't close to Bale.  I don't think we have seen the perfect serious Batman yet.  He wasn't what Reeve was to Superman or Jackman to Wolverine.  But he wasn't bad.

I don't think Batman needs to be 25 either, but a 25 year old playing a 30 year old would be fine.  Like Reeve but Batman.

I want to see him in his prime--not an origin or a rookie.  I think if he's the age where Grayson is Nightwing, it works fine. 

Regarding crossovers--yes, Supergirl is from a different Earth as TV Barry, and we know that 1990 Flash is part of it too on a different Earth.

But there IS a Central City on Supergirl's Earth, so she could have a Barry of her own.

I don't think Affleck was so good that he defined the role.  He isn't close to Bale.  I don't think we have seen the perfect serious Batman yet.  He wasn't what Reeve was to Superman or Jackman to Wolverine.  But he wasn't bad.

In one way he was much better; at least his "bat-voice" wasn't quite so laughable.

I don't think Batman needs to be 25 either, but a 25 year old playing a 30 year old would be fine.  Like Reeve but Batman.

So... reverse ageism is OK then?   A 25 year old can play a 30 year old, but not a 40 year old playing a 35 year old?   I just don't see why you're so fixated on a kid-Batman.  We already had an origin story... don't need another.   Affleck could easily play Batman at his peak (mid-to late 30s).

One's physical "prime"  is redefined every year.   As a kid, I remember my dad when he was younger than I am now; he was bald, smoked, slouched and didn't exercise.   He looked and seemed a LOT older than I do now (and I'm no spring chicken by any means, but I think I wear almost-50 fairly well... except for the arthritis; but that was brought on my impact trauma, not age).

I think Affleck, like Daniel Craig's Bond, could play the role until he feels like quitting.  

My guess?  One or two more movies should put all of his kids through Ivy League schools...:P

BOX OFFICE: BATMAN v SUPERMAN Falls Short Of $900 Million, But Is Still 7th Biggest Superhero Movie Ever

Batman v Superman started off strong at the box office but quickly plummeted, and while it may be the seventh highest grossing superhero movie of all-time, it's likely to end its run shy of $900M.

I wouldn't call it reverse ageism.  I would call it realism.  A 25 year old can play the role longer and given movies come out every 2-3 years, it makes sense to get someone younger that looks older than someone older that looks younger.  Common sense.  It's not ageism to acknowledge that physical prowess favors younger people, especially if you have to be an elite athlete, which essentially, Batman is.

You are right that people take care of themselves better than ever today.  But at the elite athlete level, you still decline in your 40s.  Let's take a guy like Alex Rodriguez--physically, the guy amassed about $500 million for playing baseball.  He spent his life conditioning, going to anti-aging clinics, eating right, working out, and even using steroids to make himself that much more beyond normal when it comes to conditioning.  Not saying steroids are good or legal, but they help you be better.  He's on the wrong side of 40 now, and while he is still in tremendous shape, he can't do what he once did.

Derek Jeter--also an elite athlete who took great care of himself except unlike Rodriguez, didn't use the steroids.  Remained elite until he was 38.  He was still quite capable at 40, but nowhere near what he was, and retired.  That little change was all the difference.  Being in great shape is not the same thing as being in your prime.

Someone like Batman though would not be able to maintain that lifestyle as long as a baseball player, because of the physicality.  Jumping through windows, fighting every night, not getting proper sleep--all of that will catch up to you at some point.  That's why fighters have shorter careers--and they REST. 

Ben Affleck is in his mid 40s, and can't play Batman in his 30s without some serious de-aging.  And the character itself needs to be made younger, because Justice League needs a Batman in his prime.

I wouldn't call it reverse ageism.  I would call it realism.  A 25 year old can play the role longer and given movies come out every 2-3 years, it makes sense to get someone younger that looks older than someone older that looks younger.  Common sense.  It's not ageism to acknowledge that physical prowess favors younger people, especially if you have to be an elite athlete, which essentially, Batman is.

You are right that people take care of themselves better than ever today.  But at the elite athlete level, you still decline in your 40s.  Let's take a guy like Alex Rodriguez--physically, the guy amassed about $500 million for playing baseball.  He spent his life conditioning, going to anti-aging clinics, eating right, working out, and even using steroids to make himself that much more beyond normal when it comes to conditioning.  Not saying steroids are good or legal, but they help you be better.  He's on the wrong side of 40 now, and while he is still in tremendous shape, he can't do what he once did.

Derek Jeter--also an elite athlete who took great care of himself except unlike Rodriguez, didn't use the steroids.  Remained elite until he was 38.  He was still quite capable at 40, but nowhere near what he was, and retired.  That little change was all the difference.  Being in great shape is not the same thing as being in your prime.

Someone like Batman though would not be able to maintain that lifestyle as long as a baseball player, because of the physicality.  Jumping through windows, fighting every night, not getting proper sleep--all of that will catch up to you at some point.  That's why fighters have shorter careers--and they REST. 

Ben Affleck is in his mid 40s, and can't play Batman in his 30s without some serious de-aging.  And the character itself needs to be made younger, because Justice League needs a Batman in his prime.

Again, the evidence speaks for itself.

He did the role justice in BvS (even if the movie wasn't so great).  

We're not talking about a prized athlete putting his actual life on the life (as a boxer does); we're talking about a movie star putting on a costume and acting in front of a camera.   Even if Affleck were not in top condition (which he clearly is), he could still do the work required.   He'll have an army of people helping him out; not just stuntmen, but FX artists as well.  Even if he were 50 years old (as Iron Man's RDJ is now) it'd be OK.  No one complains about RDJ being too old to fly around in an Iron Man suit.

As you've said many times before; this ISN'T reality... this is a movie.    And even in that fantasy context, I could easily buy Affleck in the role.

Another example; actor Vic Mignogna (whom we all love in ST Continues) is playing Captain Kirk, a character in his mid-30s.   Mignogna is older than I am (early 50s).   Complaints about his age:  zero.

Even if he did the role justice, he's still too old to be Batman at this point.  How long can he hold the part? 

Affleck was nowhere near as good in the role as RDJ--not even close.  RDJ was perfectly cast.  Affleck did his job, but let's not overrate his performance. 

If Affleck is going to stay in the role, they need to ignore basically everything that happened to the character in BvS--especially that he's been active for years and years and is broken down.

kenman   

Goddamn how long do we really want these people doing this?  How long do you want someone to be playing Batman in the movies? 10 years? 

Depends.  If you have the perfect Batman/Superman/any character, absolutely.  10 years is maybe 4 movies or even 3. 

Christopher Reeve played Superman for 9 years, and could have gone on had the movies not sucked.

Hugh Jackman has had a clamp on Wolverine for 16 years.  While he will finally step aside, people are bummed about that.

The idea is to get the best actor possible, young enough to handle the role for about that long.  That's why Tom Holland is a good age for Spidey.  Don't worry about him starting out in high school.  By the time he's done, he'll be an older Spidey in his prime.

In one way he was much better; at least his "bat-voice" wasn't quite so laughable.

Bale was terrible there. Eastwood, Bat Eastwood.

And I think you eye an actor that can contribute something, not with an eye for how many films you can milk the actor for.

Edited by prometheus59650

That's true, though ideally the perfect actor will fit all the requirements.  You have to have the look and the ability.  That's why Meryl Streep won't play Batgirl.

Goddamn how long do we really want these people doing this?  How long do you want someone to be playing Batman in the movies? 10 years? 

I'd see him doing two more (ideally; if all works out).  Which is fine.  I don't see any single actor ever playing Batman for over a decade anyway.   Even Adam West only had three years, and Bale three movies.   That's pretty much the record to date... 

"Superman pulling people's arms out of their sockets..."    

Is Snyder describing Superman or Chewbacca?   And Batman getting raped in prison??  What the fresh, minty-scented hell; is this HBO's "Oz" or a movie based on a comic strip?  :loopy:

"Superman pulling people's arms out of their sockets..."    

Is Snyder describing Superman or Chewbacca?   And Batman getting raped in prison??  What the fresh, minty-scented hell; is this HBO's "Oz" or a movie based on a comic strip?  :loopy:

He doesn't understand superheroes. To him they're just some sort of ultimate thug.

Warner Bros. Ups Ben Affleck To JUSTICE LEAGUE Executive Producer To "Support" Zack Snyder

There's been a shake up behind the scenes of Justice League as Ben Affleck has been upped to executive producer on the movie in order to seemingly help steer the movie in the right direction...

I wonder where the protection is coming from. Just get rid of Snyder!!!

They can't officially. It'd be a PR nightmare (Admission that Snyder has utterly failed) They sank too much money into him, his vision, and touting him as, basically DC's answer to Feige.

Unofficially however, Snyder just got demoted.

Edited by prometheus59650

I wonder where the protection is coming from. Just get rid of Snyder!!!

They can't officially. It'd be a PR nightmare (Admission that Snyder has utterly failed) They sank too much money into him, his vision, and touting him as, basically DC's answer to Feige.

Unofficially however, Snyder just got demoted.

Sounds like Orci with Star Trek Beyond... 

Sign in to follow this