Sign in to follow this  
Autocad

Computer voice

Autocad   

Ok, TOS, Kirk asked computer to answer a question, and the response is something like this "Computer....working...." and gives answer.

Which got me thinking......Watching Voyager today, and they don't seem to do that.....As a matter of fact, did any movie or show have that talking computer besides TOS. And I just thought about that today........

PS remember the time a planet of females changed the voice...I loved TOS!

I don't think the movies did, but most of the TV series all had talking computer interfaces; TNG, DS9, VGR all had computer voices (most were done by Majel Barrett).  I don't think they said "Computer... working" anymore, but they all had voice interfaces.   In fact,TAS did an entire episode where the computer was playing practical jokes on the crew ("Practical Joker").   Barrett usually did only the Starfleet computer voices; I think a different voice was used for the Cardassian computer interface on DS9's station computers.

O'Brien interfaces with the Runabout computer

and

Majel Barrett-- The Voice of the Computers of Star Trek

Autocad   

Thank for those links, I listened to them. 

I was struck how B'elanna didn't say, "computer, get me the schematic" but ask a crewman to do that. 

The voice for the Cardassian computer in DS9 was provided by Judi Durand. It was more definitive and terser so at first O’Brian did not get along with that computer. He was capable of spotting the inflections and modulations in the voice and he sensed that the computer was not cooperative at all.

I dunno. He claimed to know the difference in tone in "The Forsaken," but I think he was just nutty. :) 

There was a computer voice in TMP, amoung other things it annouced Ilia 2.0's arrivial in Ilia's shower

In the original version of TMP, it was a male voice too; kind of like the mirror universe's computer (which was voiced by Michael Dorn in ST Continues episode, "Fairest Of Them All").   That TMP computer voice was a tad on the eerie side; it sounded soulless and metallic.   Kind of glad they brought Majel back in TNG...

Sign in to follow this