GustavoLeao

FOR THE LOVE OF SPOCK : THE MOVIE

Here is the trailer for the upcoming documentary FOR THE LOVE OF SPOCK, from director Adam Nimoy, about his father, the great Leonard Nimoy. I worked as a research consultant in this movie, and it was a pleasure working with the good people of 455 Films (who also produced THE CAPTAINS and CHAOS ON THE BRIDGE and so forth) It was a blast !

Aqui esta o trailer do documentario FOR THE LOVE OF SPOCK do diretor Adam Nimoy, sobre seu pai, o grande Leonard Nimoy. Foi um prazer eu trabalhar nesse filme com o pessoal da 455 Films (que tambem produziram THE CAPTAINS e outros documentarios). Foi divertido !

Edited by GustavoLeao

Thank you, Robin ! It took 8 months of production but it was a pleasure to try to keep criative and help the production. Let me tell you this, Adam Nimoy is a great guy ! Thanks !

G

I met Adam Nimoy last year (briefly) at Comic Con; seemed like a decent guy.   I know he's had issues with his dad in the past (from his book), but I hope he keeps a respectful tone for the doc (as the trailer indicates).  I don't mind if he talks honestly about opportunities in his relationship with his late father, but I just hope it doesn't turn into some kind of ST-themed "Daddy Dearest" number.   From the trailer, it looks like I have nothing to worry about. 

Nimoy himself was very frank about his own personal shortcomings in the 2001 video "Mind Meld", with William Shatner.  He openly discussed his alcoholism in the late '60s/early '70s, and about his divorce with first wife Sandy Zober; but (most importantly) he also discussed overcoming those issues.  

It was nice to know that the man behind the character I idolized as a kid was as human and fallible as the rest of us.  :)

You know, I did my job and I am proud. Working as a consultant in FOR THE LOVE OF SPOCK is my way to say "Happy 50th Anniversary, STAR TREK" and also contribute to the ultimate eulogy to the great Leonard Nimoy. It was great to work on the documentary, evryone worked that to deliver the best production possible and this was really me saying "thank you" and setting my ambitions on my future.

LLAP,

Gus

You know, I did my job and I am proud. Working as a consultant in FOR THE LOVE OF SPOCK is my way to say "Happy 50th Anniversary, STAR TREK" and also contribute to the ultimate eulogy to the great Leonard Nimoy. It was great to work on the documentary, evryone worked that to deliver the best production possible and this was really me saying "thank you" and setting my ambitions on my future.

LLAP,

Gus

Congratulations, Gus.

Looks good.  The trailer looks like the kind of retrospective Nimoy richly deserved.

LLAP,

Gus

That's great Gus! What an extraordinary project to be involved with, too. Happy 50th, and well done on all the hard work! :) Be proud of yourself! 

I'm not expecting a warts 'n' all bio... But if the pic as as honest as the one Sehlat describes above (and Nimoy senior was nothing if not candid and forthcoming in his various memoirs) it'll reveal yet more layers to the man, a humane and very human being, flaws and all. 

I am certain that the FOR THE LOVE OF SPOCK docu will be  a  great eulogy to Mr Nimoy from his son. If you HAVE read the book LEONARD from William Shatner, you know that Leonard and Adam had a somewhat complicated relationship in the past, but were able to become friends years later.

Gus

I am certain that the FOR THE LOVE OF SPOCK docu will be  a  great eulogy to Mr Nimoy from his son. If you HAVE read the book LEONARD from William Shatner, you know that Leonard and Adam had a somewhat complicated relationship in the past, but were able to become friends years later.

Gus

I have Adam Nimoy's book, "My Incredibly Wonderful, Miserable Life: An Anti-Memoir" which talks about his own issues (with addiction) as well as his troubled relationship with his dad, but it looks like he and his dad patched things up in the end.   As one who also had a 'complicated' relationship with a parent, I understand the younger Nimoy's issues, but I'm also a huge fan of his father's so it's awkward to say the least.   :S

Just glad it worked itself out; so few stormy parental relationships have that opportunity.

Looking forward to this doc. 

I didn't read Adam Nimoy's book and actually have actively avoided reading Shatner's. I might get around to it someday, but that book struck me as an exercise in Billspeak PR and, where Leonard Nimoy is concerned, I'm not really ready for it yet. (As you both know, I am also a huge fan of Nimoy Senior.) Perhaps that's a bit unfair - but y'know, just not yet. 

But as soon as I heard about this movie, I wanted to see it. Now, even more so, as I know someone who is involved in its production as a consultant. :) 

I didn't read Adam Nimoy's book and actually have actively avoided reading Shatner's. I might get around to it someday, but that book struck me as an exercise in Billspeak PR and, where Leonard Nimoy is concerned, I'm not really ready for it yet. (As you both know, I am also a huge fan of Nimoy Senior.) Perhaps that's a bit unfair - but y'know, just not yet. 

But as soon as I heard about this movie, I wanted to see it. Now, even more so, as I know someone who is involved in its production as a consultant. :) 

I've seen Shatner's book in stores, but I'm not ready to read it either; seems a bit Ferengi-ish. 

Thanks, Robin, I appreciated,

And for Shatner's book LEONARD, I recommended it. Its very candid and honest book about their friendship, the best times and the worst times, including how deeply Nimoy made the character of Spock and his friendship with Kirk and McCoy on screen. Much iof the qualities of the original series and movies were there thanks to Nimoy, who was in his own way, the Great Bird of the Galaxy, a great visionary and the Shatner's book is about that too,

Gus

And for Shatner's book LEONARD, I recommended it. Its very candid and honest book about their friendship, the best times and the worst times, including how deeply Nimoy made the character of Spock and his friendship with Kirk and McCoy on screen. Much iof the qualities of the original series and movies were there thanks to Nimoy, who was in his own way, the Great Bird of the Galaxy, a great visionary and the Shatner's book is about that too,

Gus

By the movies, he understood why Star Trek worked far better than Gene "let's put Spock in the Dallas Book Depository" Roddenberry did. 

Gus

By the movies, he understood why Star Trek worked far better than Gene "let's put Spock in the Dallas Book Depository" Roddenberry did. 

If you two think it's worth it, that actually puts a different spin on it. I'll look at it again.

The new documentary For the Love of Spock takes a look at both the beloved Star Trek character and the man who played him, the late and much beloved Leonard Nimoy. Directed by the actor’s son, Adam Nimoy, the film receives its world premiere April 16 as part of the Tribeca Film Festival’s television-centric “Tune In” program. The film’s second Tribeca screening, on April 18, will be followed by a panel discussion with Nimoy, Zachary Quinto, For the Love of Spock producer David Zappone, and Trek-loving film critic Scott Mantz. 

“The producers and I are honored to be hosting the world premiere of For The Love Of Spock at Tribeca Film Festival’s new Tune In program,” Nimoy said, in a statement. ”Star Trek made television history when it first aired on Sept. 8, 1966, and has continued to be broadcast somewhere on Planet Earth ever since. For The Love Of Spock pays tribute to one of television’s most iconic characters as well as to my father, Leonard Nimoy, who helped bring Spock to life. It was through the astonishing support of countless dedicated fans that this film could be made, so we are thrilled to finally unveil it to the world.”

13015287_10209210026706932_2596878290920

UPDATE :

Tribeca: Leonard Nimoy's Son Talks Paying Tribute to His Famous Father in 'Star Trek' Doc (Q&A)

Edited by GustavoLeao

The good people at 455 Films released today this poster for the Adam Nimoy documentary FOR THE LOVE OF SPOCK, which premieres today at the Tribeca Film Festival.

12993340_10209216841917308_4790169163166

Good luck to them !

Gus

Rene, Nana, Quinto and Terry at FOR THE LOVE OF SPOCK special screening yesterday at Tribeca Film Festival. Did I already told you that I had the pleasure of working on this movie as a consultant researcher ? LOL

13043404_10209240257102673_8741956831849

Gus

According to Deadline, indie film distributor Gravitas Ventures has picked up the rights to For the Love of Spock, a documentary about Leonard Nimoy, Mr. Spock and Star Trek directed by Nimoy's son Adam. The distributor has set Sept. 9 as the release date of the film -- one day after the 50th anniversary (on Sept. 8) of the original series' premiere on NBC with the episode "The Man Trap."

Gus

PS - Yay !

Corylea   

I contributed enough money to the kickstarter for this film that I get to attend a special screening for backers, in Boston on June 27th.  I'm mostly excited about the screening, but the memory of Adam Nimoy's autobiography and his bitterness towards his father in that book lingers in the back of my mind like a bad taste, undermining my excitement.

I've read that Adam put way more of himself and of his relationship with his father into the movie than he'd originally proposed, and that has me nervous about what the film will be like.  I've read both of Leonard's autobiographies and most of his poetry, and I'm a great admirer of his, to a nearly worshipful level (even though that kinda embarrasses me, since I don't usually care much about actors or other celebrities). 

I really hope that Adam's (former?) bitterness towards Leonard is not present in the film and that the film is not about The Trials and Tribulations of Being the Son of a Celebrity.  I'm still sad about Leonard's death, and I'm not sure I could be polite about the movie, if Adam is whining in it.

Gus, can you provide any reassurance on that front?  I really, really want to love this movie, but I'm ... nervous.

Edited by Corylea

I contributed enough money to the kickstarter for this film that I get to attend a special screening for backers, in Boston on June 27th.  I'm mostly excited about the screening, but the memory of Adam Nimoy's autobiography and his bitterness towards his father in that book lingers in the back of my mind like a bad taste, undermining my excitement.

I've read that Adam put way more of himself and of his relationship with his father into the movie than he'd originally proposed, and that has me nervous about what the film will be like.  I've read both of Leonard's autobiographies and most of his poetry, and I'm a great admirer of his, to a nearly worshipful level (even though that kinda embarrasses me, since I don't usually care much about actors or other celebrities). 

I really hope that Adam's (former?) bitterness towards Leonard is not present in the film and that the film is not about The Trials and Tribulations of Being the Son of a Celebrity.  I'm still sad about Leonard's death, and I'm not sure I could be polite about the movie, if Adam is whining in it.

Gus, can you provide any reassurance on that front?  I really, really want to love this movie, but I'm ... nervous.

^
This was my concern as well.   I read that book too, and it left me with... well, as Leonard might say (sing?), "bitter dregs." 

Still; I want to see the movie only because Leonard Nimoy was a personal inspiration growing up; Spock was my idol.   He was the geek-hero long before it was cool to be smart (back when being 'cool' essentially meant acting like a d!ck).   And meeting Nimoy in 2009 was one of my greatest Comic Con moments EVER.   One of the handful of times I've ever been genuinely starstruck.  He was also a very kindly-seeming man, and took my hand in a nice handshake.   

(Me, afterward):
v

tumblr_lr8pdq0YYv1qkoxamo1_500.gif

Now, I understand that Adam Nimoy had an entirely different perspective than we idolizing fans (of course!) but I just hope he keeps it respectful; for our sakes.   

I had a very difficult relationship with my mother (I know, I know... paging Dr. Freud!), but if she were idolized by millions of people?  I would be hesitant to want to deliberately shatter that image just to sate my own personal vendettas and take away something that was valuable to so many.    

As I get older, a part of me just says, "let it all go."   I hope the younger Nimoy has reached that point in his life.