Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

The Biography of Jeffrey Hunter

23 posts in this topic

This is a biography special on the life and death of movie star Jeffrey Hunter, the first actor to play a STAR TREK captain in the 1964 pilot THE CAGE. Including here are rare outtakes from filming THE CAGE featuring Hunter and guest star Susan Oliver.

View the TV special at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8L89-RUWW8

12004892_1087493711268756_74101527648101

1917812_10209190196451188_73981900794845

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8L89-RUWW8

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

I know I've said this before, but I keep wondering if somewhere in the multiverse there is a version of Star Trek that ran for 3 seasons with Capt. Pike instead of Kirk; arguably it would've been a very different type of show, but an equally intriguing one I imagine...

I know I've said this before, but I keep wondering if somewhere in the multiverse there is a version of Star Trek that ran for 3 seasons with Capt. Pike instead of Kirk; arguably it would've been a very different type of show, but an equally intriguing one I imagine...

Once I perfect that Sliders remote, I'll let you know.

I have a perverse curiosity to see how DS9 would have come out with Richard Dean Andersen

Once I perfect that Sliders remote, I'll let you know.

I have a perverse curiosity to see how DS9 would have come out with Richard Dean Andersen

Or VGR with Erin Gray.... 

063f2e7c164bc61d2324c673a8583d63.jpg :inlove:

I'd read in CFQ magazine (back in the '90s) that she auditioned for it, and all I could think about was a show that could've had (theoretically) both Erin Gray AND Jeri Ryan....

tumblr_ncjndqv1R31rdqbfro1_500.gif

Erin Grey would have killed it, I think.

Erin Grey would have killed it, I think.

Or given me heart failure... :P

Yep, Erin Gray and Lindsay Wagner (THE BIONIC WOMAN) both read for the role of Janeway.

I did read in an interview with Erin for the DREAMWATCH magazine from the UK, that she indeed read for the role and wanted so much for be in STAR TREK.

I think that some time later she retired from acting.

Gus

Yep, Erin Gray and Lindsay Wagner (THE BIONIC WOMAN) both read for the role of Janeway.

I did read in an interview with Erin for the DREAMWATCH magazine from the UK, that she indeed read for the role and wanted so much for be in STAR TREK.

Gus

No, she's still around; she does fan films (most recently ST Continues, as a Commodore in the episode, "Lolani") and smaller, independent projects. 

I thought she was currently serving as producer and a casting agent, for her agency, Heroes for Hire.

I didnt was aware that she continues to acting to this day.

She is still a beatiful woman.

Gus

I thought she was currently serving as producer and a casting agent, for her agency, Heroes for Hire.

I didnt was aware that she continues to acting to this day.

She is still a beatiful woman.

Gus

She is, and you see her clients at a lot of conventions.    But she still acts, too. 

Gus

Really? Lindsay Wagner, too?

Damn, imagine the version of Voyager that had the Bionic Woman as Janeway!

Prome, I want that Sliders remote too!

Yep, Trek was at its peak of popularity and all those great actress wanted to be the next captain. So they had all those great and intereting characters to play Janeway, but suddelly appears the agent of Genevieve Bujold, with an offer, and it was an Academy awarded actress and so forth, so Berman and Piller hired her ass "Nicole" Janeway with no screen test and so forth. They just hired Bujold with not even blinked their eyes.

Here are the scenes from the VOYAGER pilot filmed with Bujold as Captain "Nicole" Janeway (Nicole was Bujold real name BTW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pgAFV2YxLQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NANUpPaiGG8

Gus

Yep, Trek was at its peak of popularity and all those great actress wanted to be the next captain. So they had all those great and intereting characters to play Janeway, but suddelly appears the agent of Genevieve Bujold, with an offer, and it was an Academy awarded actress and so forth, so Berman and Piller hired her ass "Nicole" Janeway with no screen test and so forth. They just hired Bujold with not even blinked their eyes.

Here are the scenes from the VOYAGER pilot filmed with Bujold as Captain "Nicole" Janeway (Nicole was Bujold real name BTW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pgAFV2YxLQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NANUpPaiGG8

Gus

I've seen those Bujold screen tests before... they're kinda painful to watch.

She's very low-energy; a bit stilted.   She's a good actress (I've seen her in other projects), but not a TV series-lead.   I can see why they switched.  

Say what you will about Mulgrew, but she has the higher energy necessary to sustain audience interest as a series' lead (as did Shatner). 

Just an add - these are not screen tests. These are actually the official footage Bujold shot for CARETAKER

Ouch.

Agreed on Mulgrew.

Gus

Just an add - these are not screen tests. These are actually the official footage Bujold shot for CARETAKER

Ouch.

Agreed on Mulgrew.

Gus

My bad... I should've said footage.  You're right.

Either way, Bujold was still kinda lackluster in the part.

Here is a E! TV Special on the life and career of movie star Jeffrey Hunter, who died at the early age of 47 on May 27, 1969. Best know for his movie roles as Martin Pawley in John Ford's THE SEARCHES and as Jesus Christ in THE KING OF KINGS, Hunter is better know to STAR TREK and science fiction fans for the role of Captain Christopher Pike in the first TREK pilot THE CAGE, filmed in 1964. This TV Special features screen tests and a few rare outtakes footage from THE CAGE. Enjoy and RIP Jeffrey.

It's no secret that I MUCH prefer Pike over Kirk, and that I wish they had kept Jeffrey Hunter. I get the feeling that his entire career and his life would have taken a completely different turn if he had stayed.

It's no secret that I MUCH prefer Pike over Kirk, and that I wish they had kept Jeffrey Hunter. I get the feeling that his entire career and his life would have taken a completely different turn if he had stayed.

I kind of which I had access to a parallel universe where I could see a Star Trek series that got the green light with Hunter's Pike. 

In Las Vegas last month (at the ST convention there), I met Lauren Goodwin ("Yeoman Colt" in "The Cage") and she and I had a delightful conversation about her time on The Cage, and how (at first) the network planned to retool the show, but only bring back herself, Nimoy and Hunter.   But Hunter's wife stepped into the negotiations and demanded partial ownership of the show for her husband; whom she felt was above working in TV (after all, he played Jesus, right? :giggle: ).   She also felt (as did many at the time) that science fiction was undignified kiddie fare. 

Goodwin was a delightful woman, and she made me laugh when she succinctly described Hunter's wife as "a bitch."  

I kind of which I had access to a parallel universe where I could see a Star Trek series that got the green light with Hunter's Pike. 

In Las Vegas last month (at the ST convention there), I met Lauren Goodwin ("Yeoman Colt" in "The Cage") and she and I had a delightful conversation about her time on The Cage, and how (at first) the network planned to retool the show, but only bring back herself, Nimoy and Hunter.   But Hunter's wife stepped into the negotiations and demanded partial ownership of the show for her husband; whom she felt was above working in TV (after all, he played Jesus, right? :giggle: ).   She also felt (as did many at the time) that science fiction was undignified kiddie fare. 

Goodwin was a delightful woman, and she made me laugh when she succinctly described Hunter's wife as "a bitch."  

I read an interview with her a little while ago where she also spoke about how the network wanted to keep Hunter and how they hired her "for her legs" and then put her into that uniform where you couldn't even see them... and she also talked about how Hunter's wife basically ruined it all for him, that SHE was the force behind him withdrawing from the show. HE apparently would have been happy to do science fiction, at least from what his son said in the above documentary. She also said that Hunter was really sweet and completely professional and very dedicated to his work, and very charming.

I read an interview with her a little while ago where she also spoke about how the network wanted to keep Hunter and how they hired her "for her legs" and then put her into that uniform where you couldn't even see them... and she also talked about how Hunter's wife basically ruined it all for him, that SHE was the force behind him withdrawing from the show. HE apparently would have been happy to do science fiction, at least from what his son said in the above documentary. She also said that Hunter was really sweet and completely professional and very dedicated to his work, and very charming.

^
She told me the same thing.   He had a more contemplative energy onscreen, but offscreen he was very jovial, and well-liked by cast and crew.   I'm a fan of Hunter's other works, particularly "The Searchers" and "No Man is an Island."   I think a Pike-led ST would've been a very different kind of series, but equally enjoyable.  

^
She told me the same thing.   He had a more contemplative energy onscreen, but offscreen he was very jovial, and well-liked by cast and crew.   I'm a fan of Hunter's other works, particularly "The Searchers" and "No Man is an Island."   I think a Pike-led ST would've been a very different kind of series, but equally enjoyable.  

I keep having this idea of writing fic about Pike in command. It just seems like something worth exploring - and he really doesn't get the attention he deserves if you ask me. If I ever had to choose another captain as my favorite, I would pick him. I just like him. And the fact that Jeffrey Hunter was a nice guy on set just makes it all even better. And more tragic that things took such a terrible turn for him.

^

I keep having this idea of writing fic about Pike in command. It just seems like something worth exploring - and he really doesn't get the attention he deserves if you ask me. If I ever had to choose another captain as my favorite, I would pick him. I just like him. And the fact that Jeffrey Hunter was a nice guy on set just makes it all even better. And more tragic that things took such a terrible turn for him.

^

Very much so.  He was only 43, I believe.  And he was such a striking man.  I would've given my eye teeth to have 1/10th of his good looks... 

^

^

Very much so.  He was only 43, I believe.  And he was such a striking man.  I would've given my eye teeth to have 1/10th of his good looks... 

He was very handsome, yes. Slightly too tall for my taste but otherwise, yes, absolutely. An amazing-looking guy. He would have looked better with each passing year, too.

He would totally have charmed both the ladies and the gentlemen in the audience as captain of the Enterprise and in other roles after that. So, so sad and tragic. :(