Sign in to follow this  
Sehlat Vie

Star Wars Rogue One Teaser Trailer is up!

This movie was....simply....amazing. It's what I wanted since the disaster that was the PT.

It made the Jedi feel like an ancient myth again. It made the war feel gritty again. The Clone Wars was quite literally a cartoon war of robots and clones.

The cameos were amazing. I would honestly recommend watching Episode 4 to be able to catch them all.

That ending ... I'm still speechless.

^
This was close to my initial reaction too.  

And yes, I liked the eastern Shinto-Buddhist feel of the force religion in this movie; no super-choreographed lightsaber fights, no telekinesis.  More about faith and resilience.  Personally I think it was more interesting than super-humans whirling and twirling like Cirque de Soleil performers. 

This movie was....simply....amazing. It's what I wanted since the disaster that was the PT.

It made the Jedi feel like an ancient myth again. It made the war feel gritty again. The Clone Wars was quite literally a cartoon war of robots and clones.

The cameos were amazing. I would honestly recommend watching Episode 4 to be able to catch them all.

^

And yes, I liked the eastern Shinto-Buddhist feel of the force religion in this movie; no super-choreographed lightsaber fights, no telekinesis.  More about faith and resilience.  Personally I think it was more interesting than super-humans whirling and twirling like Cirque de Soleil performers. 

Exactly what I loved about it too. The Force felt like a religion again. Harkening back to that admiral that dismiss Vader's "sad devotion to that ancient religion".

The PT made the Jedi Order feel like the third branch of the Republic government. So dry and boring and only practitioners of the Force were part of it. It felt like an organization rather than a religion that anyone, Force users and non-Force users alike, could follow.

Hammer   

At the very least, for a couple of minutes, I forgot that Hayden Christensen was ever Vader. 

Yeah, it was an improvement over the PT, but that's a pretty low bar to rise above.

^

I think it's fine to have a Star Wars movie where the lead isn't an advanced Jedi, not everyone should be on Luke's level of mastery. They left it too ambiguous though. She continually referred to the force, but never used it and it had no bearing on the outcome. Was she simply force-sensitive? Why not just make her a force-skeptic like Hans Solo? The force references were kind of 'forced'. Also, for someone who apparently believes in the force, she's rather non committal to the Rebel's (it doesn't matter which flag is flying if you don't look up... seriously?) which is surprising considering that the Jedi purge had already happened.

I think it's fine to have a Star Wars movie where the lead isn't an advanced Jedi, not everyone should be on Luke's level of mastery. They left it too ambiguous though. She continually referred to the force, but never used it and it had no bearing on the outcome. Was she simply force-sensitive? Why not just make her a force-skeptic like Hans Solo? The force references were kind of 'forced'. Also, for someone who apparently believes in the force, she's rather non committal to the Rebel's (it doesn't matter which flag is flying if you don't look up... seriously?) which is surprising considering that the Jedi purge had already happened.

A lot of non-Jedi refer to the Force in the OT. Leia, Jan Dodana, and Mon Mothma all say "May the Force be with you." Han says it to Luke too. It's just a common saying in this galaxy. It has nothing to do with being a Jedi.

Believing in the Force has no relevance to siding with the Rebel Alliance.

At the very least, for a couple of minutes, I forgot that Hayden Christensen was ever Vader. 

Yeah, it was an improvement over the PT, but that's a pretty low bar to rise above.

^

******* SPOILERISH ******** 

Personally I liked the ambiguity of the force in R1. 

I much prefer the force to be something not too literal; since that was one of the issues that torpedoed the PT.   As for Jyn, my take on it was that she wasn't force sensitive herself, just a believer.    Not everyone who follows Christianity feels like they've talked to God, right?  Same thing.   That to me is the very definition of faith; to believe in it, even if you've never felt it in any tangible way.   And she probably didn't want to throw in her lot with the rebels because after losing her parents to the Empire she probably lost faith in both sides, esp. when her rescuer/mentor Gererra seemingly abandoned her too.   Or, like most people we saw in the OT, she didn't throw in her lot because she wasn't political (like the Lars family, or Lando, or many others...).

A lot of non-Jedi refer to the Force in the OT. Leia, Jan Dodana, and Mon Mothma all say "May the Force be with you." Han says it to Luke too. It's just a common saying in this galaxy. It has nothing to do with being a Jedi.

Believing in the Force has no relevance to siding with the Rebel Alliance.

^
And yes, this.

It take it that "May the force be with you" is as common a saying in the SW universe as 'heaven help us' in our culture.   It's a good luck wish, not a political affiliation. 

Just saw it. Will have to take a little longer to formulate any kind of detailed response, but overall? Enjoyed the hell out of it. The characters are perhaps not as well-drawn as those in last year's TFA, but it's an ensemble piece that, by the end, you're fully invested in. And when the major cameos come, they really deliver. As for the synthespian Sehalt Vie mentions above... I successfully avoided anything that might spoil this surprise for me and boy, was it a surprise! A very welcome one.  Some aspects of this film may be very deliberately crowd-pleasing, but they are positioned perfectly to have the kind of impact they need to. 

Plus, it looked utterly, utterly incredible.

No problem, I should have posted there.

Gus

It's technically okay in either really, but it's always a good idea to make sure someone else doesn't hasn't posted the same information.

Sign in to follow this