Sign in to follow this  
Sehlat Vie

Star Wars Rogue One Teaser Trailer is up!

kenman   

Not that it looks bad, but I still have little interest. It really just looked like it was more about nostalgic imagery with a story that seems a little standard fare (a rebellious person tasked with an important mission where I am sure they were learn some life lessons).  I'd rather see something that doesn't have Stormtroopers in it.

Not that it looks bad, but I still have little interest. It really just looked like it was more about nostalgic imagery with a story that seems a little standard fare (a rebellious person tasked with an important mission where I am sure they were learn some life lessons).  I'd rather see something that doesn't have Stormtroopers in it.

There's always Episode I... :giggle:

Review_JarJarBinksEI_still.jpg

Sorry.  That was uncalled for... :P

I'll admit; I'm not quite as thrilled as I would be for a story that advances the mythology rather than waxes nostalgic on past events but as Robin Bland once said, it's nice to explore a little side pocket of SW lore without the burden of it being a full-on new episode (sorry Robin, if I butchered your eloquence).   I'd much rather see a one-off non-Episode of Star Wars lore than a belabored trilogy of prequels.

I think if the fans expect little more than a glossy fan film (ala Star Trek Continues)?  They might be pleasantly surprised...

I liked the trailer. Disney is really using their STAR WARS property huh ?

Gus

I don't blame them.  

It only cost $4 billion to acquire it.  If I were Disney?  I'd be exploiting the hell out of it, too...  :Ferengi: 

How could a Star Wars movie in that era not have Stormtroopers though?  I'm curious if Vader is going to be in it. 

Assuming the story calls for it, I can't imagine James Earl Jones turning it down.  Based on Star Wars Rebels, it's clear the man cares about the role and appreciates it.  I'm guessing doing the voice may even be fun for him.

kenman   

Oh fans will praise it and love it, I'm just not the biggest Star Wars fan. 

StillKirok, I didn't mean that I want a Star Wars movie without Stormtroopers, I was saying I'd rather see something new, that isn't related to Star Wars or any other old property. 

My thoughts:

1) Calling it "A Star Wars Story" is redundant.  Just call the damn thing Rogue One and be done with it.

2) I don't mind doing something set before the original trilogy, but does everything have to involve some reference to the Death Star?  I mean the galaxy is huge, so why wouldn't there be other threats, or superweapons to thwart?  The literary series had a metric crap-ton of doomsday weapons to choose from (although many of those were Death Star variants too).

Oh fans will praise it and love it, I'm just not the biggest Star Wars fan. 

StillKirok, I didn't mean that I want a Dtar Wars movie without Stormtroopers, I was saying I'd rather see something new, that isn't related to Star Wars or any other old property. 

They do have those movies.  Admittedly, if you can make a movie in a known winning franchise, it's smart to do so.  Of course-the movie should be GOOD. 

One would think that if a professional writer doesn't have to create the characters or the bible for the franchise, and has enough source material to get a grasp on what he's writing, it should be impossible to make a bad movie out of a popular pre-existing franchise.  Yet it seems to happen all the time.

2) I don't mind doing something set before the original trilogy, but does everything have to involve some reference to the Death Star?  I mean the galaxy is huge, so why wouldn't there be other threats, or superweapons to thwart?  The literary series had a metric crap-ton of doomsday weapons to choose from (although many of those were Death Star variants too).

Just watch Star Wars Rebels--you get that.

My thoughts:

1) Calling it "A Star Wars Story" is redundant.  Just call the damn thing Rogue One and be done with it.

The lesson ENT learned when it removed Star Trek from the title; it cost them.  Disney bought the SW brand name at a helluva cost; they'd be foolish NOT to use it. 

How could a Star Wars movie in that era not have Stormtroopers though?  I'm curious if Vader is going to be in it. 

Assuming the story calls for it, I can't imagine James Earl Jones turning it down.  Based on Star Wars Rebels, it's clear the man cares about the role and appreciates it.  I'm guessing doing the voice may even be fun for him.

It'd be wonderful to hear James Earl Jones one more time as Darth Vader; even in a cameo.  

It'd be wonderful to hear James Earl Jones one more time as Darth Vader; even in a cameo.  

He has done this several times on Rebels.  And I would call it more than a cameo.  I would call it a recurring role--or a multi-episode arc.

My thoughts:

The lesson ENT learned when it removed Star Trek from the title; it cost them.  Disney bought the SW brand name at a helluva cost; they'd be foolish NOT to use it. 

Star Wars: Rogue One would be fine since it illustrates that Rogue One is a subset of the SW universe.  Rogue One: A Star Wars Story just seems desperate, like "Hey!  Don't forget it's STAR WARS!  You hear us?  Even though it features different characters, it's still STAR WARS!"

My thoughts:

Star Wars: Rogue One would be fine since it illustrates that Rogue One is a subset of the SW universe.  Rogue One: A Star Wars Story just seems desperate, like "Hey!  Don't forget it's STAR WARS!  You hear us?  Even though it features different characters, it's still STAR WARS!"

Really, it's all so iconic at this point, all you have to do is title it "Rogue One" in that font and the work's done.

My thoughts:

Yet I understand the subtle distinction; calling it SW Rogue One might be seen as the next chapter (I mean, who calls "Empire Strikes Back" Episode V?).  But subtitling it "A Star Wars Story" makes the distinction that is not a linear progression or regression of the main story; but rather a side pocket story within the greater SW universe.   Doesn't really bother me at all...

Sim   

My thoughts:

Yet I understand the subtle distinction; calling it SW Rogue One might be seen as the next chapter (I mean, who calls "Empire Strikes Back" Episode V?).  But subtitling it "A Star Wars Story" makes the distinction that is not a linear progression or regression of the main story; but rather a side pocket story within the greater SW universe.   Doesn't really bother me at all...

That's how I feel, too.

"Star Wars: Rogue One" would invite confusion with Episode VIII.

Just "Rogue One" might cause some people to miss it's Star Wars.

"Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" is just the right mix; dropping SW from the main title makes clear it's a side story, but the additional line makes sure it's the same universe.

When I think of Rogue One, I don't think Star Wars.  I think of two words that are a separate movie title.  Obviously, I know it's part of Star Wars because of coverage and now the trailer, but this is something that needs the two words.  But I would call it Star Wars: Rogue One.

Sim   

I like the trailer.

I'm not the hugest Star Wars fan there is, but I'm cheap. Just pander to nostalgia well enough and I'm sold.

Glad to see more Star Wars films, and I'm glad to see that it's being taken seriously.  As for other time frames and stories branching out I'm sure that those will happen in time.  After the fans being split after the prequels I think Disney is being careful about keeping ties to the originals as that's the demographic that they want to appeal to starting off. As time goes on I'm sure we'll see more ties to the prequels (Mon Mothma being the same actress from Episode III for example) and hopefully spin off films based on certain prequel actors and characters (Obi-Wan film anyone?).

As well I think that given the stand alone films are one off films, they need to be based on pre-existing events and/or characters, allowing for the new trilogy to spread out into new territory.

I like the trailer.

I'm not the hugest Star Wars fan there is, but I'm cheap. Just pander to nostalgia well enough and I'm sold.

I think it'll be a little bit more than pandering to nostalgia; from the look of it, it's got a real story (and arc) to tell; the unsung heroes of the Rebellion.  And that IS a story that I've not yet heard before.

Glad to see more Star Wars films, and I'm glad to see that it's being taken seriously.  As for other time frames and stories branching out I'm sure that those will happen in time.  After the fans being split after the prequels I think Disney is being careful about keeping ties to the originals as that's the demographic that they want to appeal to starting off. As time goes on I'm sure we'll see more ties to the prequels (Mon Mothma being the same actress from Episode III for example) and hopefully spin off films based on certain prequel actors and characters (Obi-Wan film anyone?).

As well I think that given the stand alone films are one off films, they need to be based on pre-existing events and/or characters, allowing for the new trilogy to spread out into new territory.

^
This.

Setting it pre-ANH gives it a hook for audiences to care about.   I'm not sure if mass audiences are prepared for standalone movies set in the SW that have no bearing on characters or events we generally care about.   I'm just not sure if audiences would flock to see a story about a shop keeper on Coruscant, or a guy who fixes speeders on Malastair.   It should be an event(s) or characters that somehow relate to or otherwise affect the familiar SW storyline. 

Seeing Mon Mothma (same actress in Ep. III indeed; thanks for spotting that!), the Death Star's construction, the Yavin IV base, etc. gives audiences a sense of continuity and helps shine a light in a previously darkened but very important side-story in the SW universe. 

When I think of Rogue One, I don't think Star Wars.  I think of two words that are a separate movie title.  Obviously, I know it's part of Star Wars because of coverage and now the trailer, but this is something that needs the two words.  But I would call it Star Wars: Rogue One.

I think that's just an invitation to confusion;  subtitling it "A Star Wars Story" is smarter, as it avoids that trap.   

Agreed on Sim's comment below.
And it's also descriptive; as this is not the Star Wars ongoing story; but simply a side-story in the greater SW mythology.

v

"Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" is just the right mix; dropping SW from the main title makes clear it's a side story, but the additional line makes sure it's the same universe.

Am I the only one that thinks Star Wars should move beyond the "I'm a nobody - I meet someone - now i'm the choosen - now I fight evil" formula? No problem with SW, I love it, but for crying out loud, it's starting to get a little saturated. There have to be more dangerous forces out there that are not ALWAYS the godamn empire.

Am I the only one that thinks Star Wars should move beyond the "I'm a nobody - I meet someone - now i'm the choosen - now I fight evil" formula? No problem with SW, I love it, but for crying out loud, it's starting to get a little saturated. There have to be more dangerous forces out there that are not ALWAYS the godamn empire.

No, there's also the First Order...  :giggle:

Ha :laugh:, Well, at least the ships could use some upgrading. They all seem to be built by the same races. 

Ha :laugh:, Well, at least the ships could use some upgrading. They all seem to be built by the same races. 

Well, on that point?  This one takes place right before the first (1977) movie, so the look of the ships, costumes, etc are supposed to look like what we saw in SW77 (I hate calling it "A New Hope"... sorry, but for me?  It's always going to be "Star Wars" :P). 

Sim   

I like the trailer.

I think it'll be a little bit more than pandering to nostalgia; from the look of it, it's got a real story (and arc) to tell; the unsung heroes of the Rebellion.  And that IS a story that I've not yet heard before.

When it's a fresh story, all the better! But I was sold by the hints of nostalgia already... :P

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. You have real sets, all tying back to the production designs of the original Star Wars, and the potential for Darth Vader in a story not having to do with anything involving Jedi. Lucasfilm confirmed that ILM were constructing a Vader suit that was wholly identical to his original 1977 suit. This has all the makings to a rip-roaring look into the actual war that's supposedly part of this Galactic Civil War. Bring it the f*** on.

Sign in to follow this