Maltz

Spock's pon farrs

Maltz   

Seeing as how Spock appears to have remained un-attached up to at least The Undiscovered Country, what do we suppose he did for his pon farr cycles between then and Amok Time? He experienced his first in 2267, and we know how that went; it would have come again in 2274, 2281, and 2288 (although the Genesis incident may well have delayed it until 2292).

This is from Memory Alpha:

A common misconception is that Vulcans only have sex once every seven years. However, TOS writer and continuity story editor, Dorothy C. Fontana, explains that pon farr is not the only time that Vulcans feel romantic attraction, sexual desire or engage in sexual activity:

Vulcans mate normally any time they want to. However, every seven years you do the ritual, the ceremony, the whole thing. The biological urge. You must, but any other time is any other emotion—humanoid emotion—when you're in love. When you want to, you know when the urge is there, you do it. This every-seven-years business was taken too literally by too many people who don't stop and understand. We didn't mean it only every seven years. I mean, every seven years would be a little bad, and it would not explain the Vulcans of many different ages which are not seven years apart.

- D. C. Fontana (Edward Gross, Mark E. Altman,

Captains' Logs: The Unauthorized Complete Trek Voyages

, Little Brown

The only characters we've seen exhibit pon farr were betrothed, so it appears that marriage is a requirement, but that appears to be separate from the act of pon farr.

Seeing as how Spock appears to have remained un-attached up to at least The Undiscovered Country, what do we suppose he did for his pon farr cycles between then and Amok Time? He experienced his first in 2267, and we know how that went; it would have come again in 2274, 2281, and 2288 (although the Genesis incident may well have delayed it until 2292).

There was always Kirk... :P

I agree with Quicklight's theory below:

My theory: Spock was a low-key ladies' man, simple as that. He never had to worry about getting a mate. ;)

And it's also true that Vulcans don't have to marry at Ponn Farr, only mate.  It's a biological urge, not a social obligation.   The only reason Spock had to marry-or-die was because he was already mind-linked to T'Pring.  I'm wondering if that's changed in the 2009 reimagining?  I presume T'Pring is dead (as are most of Vulcan's inhabitants), so Spock's mind link (or engagement) with her is broken anyway.

So it's possible for Vulcans to have multiple mates, but only one legal spouse?

It's never been stated onscreen explicitly if the Vulcans are monogamous or polygamous; all we have to go on are the various married Vulcan couplings (Tuvok & his wife, Sarek & Amanda, Spock and mystery bride mentioned in TNG).  And given that both Tuvok and Spock only seem to have the 'urge' for their spouse and fiance respectively?  I would assume they're both sociologically and biologically 'fixed' for monogamy. 

However, when they're NOT in the grip of the pon farr?  I would assume they have the same capacity to 'cheat' on their spouses as their human counterparts (sad, but true).   The evidence for this: Spock and Leila Kalomi in "This Side of Paradise" (when he was clearly engaged to T'Pring at the time).   It is stated in dialogue (via Kirk's provocation) that Spock "had the gall to make love" to her, so he clearly cheated on his intended spouse (the same woman he was 'linked' to, according to "Amok Time").

Then again, Spock IS half-human, so... 

Maltz   

And after T'Pring rejected him, Spock was officially unattached throughout the rest of his appearances up until TUC.

Maltz   

Given that Saavik appears to be in her early twenties in II, III and IV, she was probably approaching her own pon farr around the time of her last appearance.

Corylea   

I always figured that when Spock purged himself of emotion during kolinahr, that caused a change not just in his mind but in the physical structure of his brain that disrupted -- or even halted -- the biological cycle.  Even though he eventually decided not to go the kolinahr route, he still knows all of the disciplines he learned during his time at Gol, so I figure he just turned pon farr off. ;)

It is stated in dialogue (via Kirk's provocation) that Spock "had the gall to make love" to her, so he clearly cheated on his intended spouse

This is one of those times when the fact that TOS was made in a different era makes a difference.  Allow an old lady to explain.  :biggrin:

Nowadays, "to make love to" usually means "to have sex with."  But during the early 60's, "make love to" mean "to court" or "to woo."  During the early 60's, one made love to someone according to the old usage in order to progress to making love to them according to the new usage. :) 

At the time "This Side of Paradise" was filmed, the new meaning of "make love to" was just taking hold among young people, but it would not yet have had that meaning among most older people.  (And I think if it HAD had that usage, the censors would never have allowed it.)  Spock might or might not have had sex with Leila, but what Kirk accuses him of is of wooing her.

CaptPapa   

Star Trek fiction covers a lot of this ground; including off-spring and a marriage.  Also, Spock's World by Diane Duane tells what happened to T'Pring.

ME

Maltz   
On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 9:33 PM, Captain_Bravo said:

This is from Memory Alpha:

A common misconception is that Vulcans only have sex once every seven years. However, TOS writer and continuity story editor, Dorothy C. Fontana, explains that pon farr is not the only time that Vulcans feel romantic attraction, sexual desire or engage in sexual activity:

Vulcans mate normally any time they want to. However, every seven years you do the ritual, the ceremony, the whole thing. The biological urge. You must, but any other time is any other emotion—humanoid emotion—when you're in love. When you want to, you know when the urge is there, you do it. This every-seven-years business was taken too literally by too many people who don't stop and understand. We didn't mean it only every seven years. I mean, every seven years would be a little bad, and it would not explain the Vulcans of many different ages which are not seven years apart.

- D. C. Fontana (Edward Gross, Mark E. Altman,

Captains' Logs: The Unauthorized Complete Trek Voyages

, Little Brown

The only characters we've seen exhibit pon farr were betrothed, so it appears that marriage is a requirement, but that appears to be separate from the act of pon farr.

Spock wasn't married or betrothed to anyone when he underwent pon farr in ST III.

Maltz   
Just now, prometheus59650 said:

Neither was Vorik (Voy)

He was betrothed, but his intended mate was in the Alpha Quadrant.

Incidentally, what happens if a Vulcan's intended mate dies before the pon farr? Will the other Vulcan still experience it? If so, what happens?

1 minute ago, Maltz said:

He was betrothed, but his intended mate was in the Alpha Quadrant.

Incidentally, what happens if a Vulcan's intended mate dies before the pon farr? Will the other Vulcan still experience it? If so, what happens?

Ah. Been a long time since I subjected myself to  watched Voyager, though I do like Vorik. 

As to the question, I'm guessing that if that bond is broken there's no one person for them to fixate on, they're just...in it. They just find a mate normally.

Maltz   

Also, we know Tuvok went through several pon farrs before marrying his wife, so it would seem he was not bonded in his childhood.

12 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Ah. Been a long time since I subjected myself to  watched Voyager, though I do like Vorik. 

As to the question, I'm guessing that if that bond is broken there's no one person for them to fixate on, they're just...in it. They just find a mate normally.

But they still don't have to marry whoever they mate with? Once they've mated, they have no further obligations? This would appear to be the case with Spock and Saavik, as after their encounter on the Genesis planet, they basically had no further contact.

Edited by Maltz

53 minutes ago, Maltz said:

Also, we know Tuvok went through several pon farrs before marrying his wife, so it would seem he was not bonded in his childhood.

But they still don't have to marry whoever they mate with? Once they've mated, they have no further obligations? This would appear to be the case with Spock and Saavik, as after their encounter on the Genesis planet, they basically had no further contact.

Makes sense to me. I mean, it's logical.

A Vulcan male is going to die unless he surrenders to that biological imperative. I can see many circumstances where another Vulcan (co-worker, family friend, or total stranger) could decide that sex with the person was preferable to them dying, even if only as a humanitarian thing like stopping someone from choking on the street.

The act was the act for whatever purpose. I completely see Vulcans willing to see it as that and simply part company. Indeed, arguably, that's all Saavik did; kept Spock from dying.