Sign in to follow this  
kenman

TAS Getting a Blu-Ray Release

http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/03/star-trek-the-animated-series-is-coming-to-blu-ray-in-2016/

Yay! It may not be DS9, but since it is cheap and easy to transfer to Blu-ray, I understand it. At least we are getting something I will genuinely enjoy for the 50th! The upgrade will probably only be minor...but since I never bought the DVD, I am all for it. Probably will take up less space than the obnoxious case the DVD has. 

Unless they completely reimagine the episodes, i.e. by creating a new CGI animation for the voice track and/or completely replace the old music i.e. with original TOS music, I'm not interested at all.

I've got TAS on DVD already, and I don't think there will be a visible improvement, given that the animation lacks detail. Plus I'm not watching it often anyway. So I'm fine with the DVDs.

Edited by Sim

Wow. I can think of a certain lovable Vulcan house pet who will surely be roused to cheers by this news!

I'm all for it too. Although the animation's primitive (at best) by today's standards, most of the scripts are really pretty great. I'll be shelling out for this.

Edited by Robin Bland

If I had the DVD I don't know how excited I'd be...but not owning it? It will fit nicely on my shelf between the original season three, and the movie boxset. 

I guess it's a cheap project, but I wonder if they're looking at this as a sign of seeing how well older Trek product does... (wishing very hard)... to see if it would be worth doing the thing we all want, which is giving us DS9 on blu-ray...? :)

I am having a similar probably wishful thinking thought. Anything is possible. It would be a hell of an anniversary gift to fans if they just announced that they'd do DS9.

Recently at the Ultimate Voyage there was some HD upconvert footage of a DS9 scene (a bit of battle and the destruction of the Defiant) and it looked pretty great on a big screen...even if it was just an upconvert of it. I'd honestly take some CG upconverted if at least we got some remasters of the regular film bits. 

I can't really imagine the success or lack thereof of the TAS Blu Ray release allows for conclusions about the interest in a DS9 (or VOY) Blu Ray release.

TAS is perhaps the nichiest of all Trek shows, and I think there is few correlation between people interested in TAS on BD and DS9/VOY on BD, as far as correlations between Trek-fan purchases go.

I can't really imagine the success or lack thereof of the TAS Blu Ray release allows for conclusions about the interest in a DS9 (or VOY) Blu Ray release.

TAS is perhaps the nichiest of all Trek shows, and I think there is few correlation between people interested in TAS on BD and DS9/VOY on BD, as far as correlations between Trek-fan purchases go.

I have to agree. I know that this really womt have any bearing on DS9 on blu. But whats the harm in the occasional harmless speculation.

Wow. I can think of a certain lovable Vulcan house pet who will surely be roused to cheers by this news!

I'm all for it too. Although the animation's primitive (at best) by today's standards, most of the scripts are really pretty great. I'll be shelling out for this.

This may come as a surprise but I'd be even more excited if TAS were getting a CGI facelift (just keeping the audio tracks); the visuals are very simplistic (one of its odd little charms, IMO), and don't really warrant further scrutiny on blu ray.  I would love to see it get a similar treatment to what TOS/TNG have received; only in this case, with all-new.... well... everything:laugh:

But yes, if it's cheap enough or has great bonus features?  I might just double dip.... :P

I guess it's a cheap project, but I wonder if they're looking at this as a sign of seeing how well older Trek product does... (wishing very hard)... to see if it would be worth doing the thing we all want, which is giving us DS9 on blu-ray...? :)

^
Yeah, I'd much rather shell out money for this, to be honest... 

I have to agree. I know that this really womt have any bearing on DS9 on blu. But whats the harm in the occasional harmless speculation.

Yeah, you're totally right, Sim. It's just me being... hopeful.

This may come as a surprise but I'd be even more excited if TAS were getting a CGI facelift (just keeping the audio tracks); the visuals are very simplistic (one of its odd little charms, IMO), and don't really warrant further scrutiny on blu ray.  I would love to see it get a similar treatment to what TOS/TNG have received; only in this case, with all-new.... well... everything:laugh:

But yes, if it's cheap enough or has great bonus features?  I might just double dip.... :P

^
Yeah, I'd much rather shell out money for this, to be honest... 

We've talked about that idea before Sehlat and I agree, it'd be mind-blowing!

If only...

Sign in to follow this