Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sim

Board Games: Chess, Go, Backgammon and others

5 posts in this topic

Do you like board games?

I don't really play modern board games often, but "Settlers of Catan" has been a favorite of mine for 20 years. My cousins and I used to play that ad infinitum when we were on holidays together. Amazing game. Unfortunately, you need at least 3 players for "Settlers" to really make sense, so I can't play it with my wife (our daughters are still too young).

But we sometimes play classics:

We're both on the same level of chess, which means we're terrible. We had both played less than 100 games in our lives before we started playing against each other. That's nice, because we have an equal chance of winning. Many games between my wife and I go like that: Because of a really stupid mistake, one of us loses his/her queen, and a couple of moves later, the other makes an equally stupid mistake and loses his/her queen, too. ;)

We also played Backgammon occasionally. It's more relaxing than chess, because it requires less concentration (which is a good thing when you have a baby and a two year old daughter to  care for). As luck is a major element in the game, winning chances are rather even, too.

Today, we bought a beginner set of Go (9x9 lines). I've always been intrigued by this East-Asian game and had been interested in learning it eventually for a long time. Since my wife has never played it either, we decided to learn and play together. If/when we're deep enough into the basics to master the 9x9 version, we plan on buying a common 19x19 board.

What about you? Do you play board games?

Scrabble is our game of choice.   I used to (try to) play chess with my dad; never got the hang of it, sadly; much to his disappointment... :P

I like to, but rarely have anyone to play with. I do play online Scrabble on occasion and used to play online Monopoly which was quite fun. Also like Sorry, Checkers, Chess (if I'm on same level as opponent). Growing up a favorite was Uncle Wiggley which was partly educational. I still have the original board as well as the updated version. I also still have some genre games such as the Star Trek game from the late 70's as well as the Six Million Dollar Man game and Space 1999, which is neat looking but kinda hard to figure out if I recall.

Scrabble is our game of choice.   I used to (try to) play chess with my dad; never got the hang of it, sadly; much to his disappointment... :P

Haven't played Scrabble in more than 25 years or so. When my grandma was still alife, I remember playing it with her as a kid. She had a set, because she met two times a week to play with a neighbor, another old lady. Fond memories. :)

I like to, but rarely have anyone to play with. I do play online Scrabble on occasion and used to play online Monopoly which was quite fun. Also like Sorry, Checkers, Chess (if I'm on same level as opponent). Growing up a favorite was Uncle Wiggley which was partly educational. I still have the original board as well as the updated version. I also still have some genre games such as the Star Trek game from the late 70's as well as the Six Million Dollar Man game and Space 1999, which is neat looking but kinda hard to figure out if I recall.

I used to play quite a few modern board games with my then best buddy, when I was a kid... and card games. We played "Risk" or "Stratego". As for card games, we used to play UNO and related games ad nauseum... we even mixed normal French card decks with UNO decks and advanced the game like that. ;)

In my early twens, I often met a friend with whom I played a lot of Backgammon, Abalone (a modern tactics game) and Yatzee (dice game).

What's your level of Chess?

Yay! My wife and I seem to have understood the rules of Go (also known as Weiqi, Baduk or Igo) now! The five matches we played today were a lot of fun. Yesterday, we did three matches, but because we both had misinterpreted some rules, it was a mess. Now we both had an "ah!" moment and it's a lot of fun! :)

I suppose I'm better than average at chess though probably not by much. I'm best at Checkers.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0