Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RAMA

STNG in Starlog. The beginning

10 posts in this topic

I'm going through the online Starlog archive myself.  There's a TON of interesting stuff there.  Like Selat Vie had said earlier, this was the internet of the time.

I'm going through the online Starlog archive myself.  There's a TON of interesting stuff there.  Like Selat Vie had said earlier, this was the internet of the time.

From around 1979 till about 1984, I never missed an issue.   Wish I'd held onto them... :(

The first STARLOG magazines I ever got in 1987 in time for the premiere of TNG. It was love at the first sight. Never missed an issue after that.

12832467_10208891264258070_8752031530437

I also collected at the time STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION MAGAZINE from the Starlog folks.

8415_10208891265618104_25348519245458315

And lets not forget CINEFANTASTIQUE. I was also a great fan of the CINEFANTASTIQUE Magazine, which had annual STAR TREK issues. Ah, the memories..........

12523872_10208891331499751_3315875776378

Gus

CFQ magazine was my bible.    

From around 1979 till about 1984, I never missed an issue.   Wish I'd held onto them... :(

Stupidly, I let some guy I worked for borrow my stash - huge pile of them. Never got them back. 

CFQ magazine was my bible.    

Now, most of those I kept - they reside somewhere, waterproofed, in my mother's garage... 

Stupidly, I let some guy I worked for borrow my stash - huge pile of them. Never got them back. 

I might still have an issue or two of old Starlogs in my garage.

However I still have a bunch of my old Cinefantastiques in my reading room.  That mag was my favorite in those days.

However I still have a bunch of my old Cinefantastiques in my reading room.  That mag was my favorite in those days.

They were a great Star Trek resource. Those annual round-ups they did (of the X Files too) were always insightful, both for the reviews and interviews.

Seriously, was there ever a better genre TV and film mag?

They were a great Star Trek resource. Those annual round-ups they did (of the X Files too) were always insightful, both for the reviews and interviews.

Seriously, was there ever a better genre TV and film mag?

I think not.

I still read some of the SciFi magazines from the UK (SciFi Now, Total Film, etc) but they trend more towards PR pieces rather than the kind of in-depth, critical reviews/interviews that we used to see in Cinefantastique.   Many of the newer magazine's articles are cut-and-paste jobs from press junkets.  

CFQ was honest; and sometimes brutal.  They had terrific exclusives (their ST double-issues were Christmas morning).  Their behind-the-scenes double issue on "Blade Runner" back in 1982 (the first issue I ever bought) became the source of a book ("Future Noir: The Making Of Blade Runner").   And their writers (esp. Mark Altman and Jeff Bond) pulled no punches, and I appreciated that.  No other scifi genre mag before or since has ever gone so deep or true with its subject matter.   IMO they were a gold standard in entertainment journalism at the time. 

CINEFANTASTIQUE was more fforthcoming and criticizes Trek when it neede to be criticized.

STARLOG, I loved the interviews and the exclusive news, and it became an habit of mine waiting the magazine to arrive evry month in those pre-internet days.

But yeah, I loved the annaual Trek issues from CINEFANTASTIQUE by Mark Altman and Anna Kaplan.

Another magazine I would get the Trek issues was AMERICAN CINEMATOGRAPHER but thats another story.

11248065_1014432728574855_28358035557346

Gus

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0