Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Robin Bland

Doctor Who - General Discussion

334 posts in this topic

I thought the first year with Capaldi was kinda meh. But the second year was excellent. I'd like to see him around a couple of more years. I think the show is better off with a well established companion when there is a new Doctor and vice versa. I also like the idea of not having another young white woman side kick. What about a side kick that's a little older.  Rose was 19 when she started. I always thought it was creepy to have a 1000 year old man hooking up with a 19 year old woman. It wouldn't feel quite that way if the woman was in her thirties. 

I'm the opposite. I found his second season to be a bit trying, but I blame the storyline for that. I just get the feeling Moffat was pushing the envelope too much (this is why I have trouble watching much of the McCoy era from back in the original run because JNT tried changing things up too much and didn't make a lot of sense). I would like to see more of the adventuresome stories of Eccleston and Tennant's times instead of the broody deep thinkers like we had last year. 

As to the new companion; as usual it will probably be someone us americans have never heard of so we'll just go with it.

I thought the first year with Capaldi was kinda meh. But the second year was excellent. I'd like to see him around a couple of more years. I think the show is better off with a well established companion when there is a new Doctor and vice versa. I also like the idea of not having another young white woman side kick. What about a side kick that's a little older.  Rose was 19 when she started. I always thought it was creepy to have a 1000 year old man hooking up with a 19 year old woman. It wouldn't feel quite that way if the woman was in her thirties. 

I'm the opposite. I found his second season to be a bit trying, but I blame the storyline for that. I just get the feeling Moffat was pushing the envelope too much (this is why I have trouble watching much of the McCoy era from back in the original run because JNT tried changing things up too much and didn't make a lot of sense). I would like to see more of the adventuresome stories of Eccleston and Tennant's times instead of the broody deep thinkers like we had last year. 

As to the new companion; as usual it will probably be someone us americans have never heard of so we'll just go with it.

I guess we both like the show for opposite reasons. I like well done deep, epic, stories. Good space Opera. I've seen too many adventuresome stories. They're a dime a dozen. Save a new damsel in distress, been there, seen that. See the consequences of saving a damsel in distress, much more interesting to me. I enjoy shows where the hero's have consequences to their actions. 

Considering it's a British show, why would it have to be someone that the US has heard of? Yes it is shown around the world, but that is no reason that you MUST know of the actor/actress.

Still, considering how it has been with EVERY main companion since Rose, you will have seem him/her in the show already...thats my guess. Every single companion after Rose was in the show before they got the role.

Considering it's a British show, why would it have to be someone that the US has heard of? Yes it is shown around the world, but that is no reason that you MUST know of the actor/actress.

Still, considering how it has been with EVERY main companion since Rose, you will have seem him/her in the show already...thats my guess. Every single companion after Rose was in the show before they got the role.

In the case of Freema Agyeman, she was playing her future character's own cousin (a nice cover for what was almost a continuity flub!  Hehe...).

This is absolutely wonderful and makes me want Peter Capaldi to play the Doctor forever:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/03/peter-capaldi-draw-my-life.html

I can't show this to my wife... she'll leave me for him.:laugh:  

An caricature artist on top of being a marvelous actor?  Please Peter; leave some for the rest of us poor mortals... :P ;)

Nice! =)

When will she first appear? In the next Christmas special, or are they doing another special before then?

Edited by Sim

Certainly has a modern day twist of Ace about her, doesn't she? Definitely looking forward to what she'll bring to the table.

Dunno whether she'll be in the Christmas special or not - it would be nice though. They've never intro'd a new companion at Christmas before (unless you count Donna, I suppose, who was supposed to be a one-off at that point) and it'd be a nice way to do it!

New companion!

Wishing her luck.  She has a disarming look about her.

And naming her character "Bill"; a nod to either Billie Piper or Bill Hartnell... ;)

Probably one of Moffat's in-jokes and it just stuck! Strongly suspect after Billy Hartnell, yes... :)

Certainly has a modern day twist of Ace about her, doesn't she? Definitely looking forward to what she'll bring to the table.

She seems to have an 80s look and vibe - wonder if she's from then? that's be cool - retro but modern enough to get everything.

This made me smile:

https://twitter.com/ConStar24/status/723933740725100544/photo/1

Dunno whether she'll be in the Christmas special or not - it would be nice though. They've never intro'd a new companion at Christmas before (unless you count Donna, I suppose, who was supposed to be a one-off at that point) and it'd be a nice way to do it!

New companion!

Wishing her luck.  She has a disarming look about her.

And naming her character "Bill"; a nod to either Billie Piper or Bill Hartnell... ;)

Probably one of Moffat's in-jokes and it just stuck! Strongly suspect after Billy Hartnell, yes... :)

She seems to have an 80s look and vibe - wonder if she's from then? that's be cool - retro but modern enough to get everything.

This made me smile:

https://twitter.com/ConStar24/status/723933740725100544/photo/1

^
Me too. :thumbup:

And @HR~

It'd be nice to have sort of an updated version of Ace back in the Tardis; a tough-as-nails, scrappy girl who still retains vulnerability.   Sophie Aldred's Ace was a great companion ("Remembrance of the Daleks" "Curse of Fenric" & "Survival" being personal favorites of that era).   I'm just a bit saddened that she never really got a proper sendoff beyond the Doctor's last line of, "Come on, Ace.  We got work to do!" from "Survival" (an underestimated gem of an episode, IMO; it had a lot of little moments).

But as much as I'd like to see a companion with some similarities to Ace?  I look even more forward to Bill's differences.  Fingers crossed for Pearl Mackey!  

May the TARDIS welcome her with doors wide open...

52c51d07481f53e40261add618c9b612.jpg

Looks good. I like the way they introduced it, with essentially a mini-episode showcasing a  bit of what she will be like as a companion. I mean you see them introduce unknown actresses in the past, and I don't know who they are or how they will play against the Doctor. This was a nice taste. I look forward to more, certainly doesn't look like a bad combo. 

Looks good. I like the way they introduced it, with essentially a mini-episode showcasing a  bit of what she will be like as a companion. I mean you see them introduce unknown actresses in the past, and I don't know who they are or how they will play against the Doctor. This was a nice taste. I look forward to more, certainly doesn't look like a bad combo. 

Yeah, that proof-of-concept video was a nice touch.   I liked her "ex-ter-min-ate" voice... :P

I think it was a good first impression. If that's who she is, she'll be like the snarky, nitpicking fan. That's not necessarily a bad thing if they write it right.

If that's who she is, she'll be like the snarky, nitpicking fan. That's not necessarily a bad thing if they write it right.

Watch, that'll be exactly how she is, since this will be Moffat's last series. Wouldn't put it past him to write in a jab like that, really.

The KEY to doing that is to make it funny, and not nasty.  This clip was funny and not nasty. 

If it becomes NASTY, she will be a very unpopular companion.  If she's funny, she will be loved.

Edited by StillKirok

She came across pretty funny. 

My take as well.

More bemused than snarky. 

She basically asks questions the nitpicking fan would ask.  That could be a really good gimmick.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36527188

Apparently Matt Lucas is returning this series as his character "Nardole" from the 2015 Christmas special. Honestly, I think I watched the special once or twice, but right now I barely remember most of it.  I will need to rewatch to refresh my memory of the character. But I seem to recall not disliking him. 

Also coming to the show this series will be Stephanie Hyam, who was apparently in Sherlock once, but I don't recall. 

EDIT: Just realized I must've watched the episode once, because I never even reviewed it on my Who Review Blog! I'll have to rectify that!

'Doctor Who' a show, which has been recognized a lot of times by BAFTA and the TV Choice Awards has recently been put forward to compete for the much Coveted US based Emmy Award.

http://www.scifipulse.net/dwo-first-time-emmy-recognition/#comment-11899

Gus

No pun intended to the Doctor, but it's ABOUT TIME.

The-End-of-Time-doctor-who-32962598-245-

This (potential) nomination is about 10 years late, but hey; better late than never...

SaveSave

Wait--Doctor Who wasn't eligible for Emmys?  Come to think of it, that makes sense since that show is too good to never win one.

I think it's because it's now partially funded by BBC America that allows it to become eligible for the Emmys too. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0