Sign in to follow this  
Robin Bland

Doctor Who - General Discussion

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

Woo hoo!!!! :thumbup:

While she got a lovely sendoff, I still feel there was a LOT of unexplored territory with her character.   And I adore Pearl Mackie. :happy:

16 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Woo hoo!!!! :thumbup:

While she got a lovely sendoff, I still feel there was a LOT of unexplored territory with her character.   And I adore Pearl Mackie. :happy:

I had a lot of issues with the way Bill was treated in that final story, and even her magic* escape from Cybernization didn't really help me to gloss over that. So it's nice to know that wasn't her final hurrah - I'm really pleased we'll get to see her in action again. Great character, wonderful actor.

*All of Doctor Who is magic, but y'know...

5 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

I had a lot of issues with the way Bill was treated in that final story, and even her magic* escape from Cybernization didn't really help me to gloss over that. So it's nice to know that wasn't her final hurrah - I'm really pleased we'll get to see her in action again. Great character, wonderful actor.

*All of Doctor Who is magic, but y'know...

It's okay; ST is mostly magic as well...;)

And I agree about Bill; she deserved a better exit than the one she got; and I'm very glad Mackie gets a chance to right that wrong. 

55 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

My thoughts on last night’s Christmas special, “Twice Upon a Time” in my blog 

****** LOTS OF SPOILERS!!! ******

https://musingsofamiddleagedgeek.blog/2017/12/26/doctor-whos-twice-upon-a-time-is-a-true-sentimental-journey/

Good review and I agreed with every bit of it. Very good episode. If you don't know anything about the original Doctor Who, you might not get many of the references but it doesn't really affect the story. I caught some of them and I'm sure I missed some. Overall an excellent episode.

2 hours ago, scenario said:

Good review and I agreed with every bit of it. Very good episode. If you don't know anything about the original Doctor Who, you might not get many of the references but it doesn't really affect the story. I caught some of them and I'm sure I missed some. Overall an excellent episode.

Agreed.

I prefer these kind of understated Christmas episodes.  I’d even go so far as to say it’s my favorite of the Christmas episodes to date. 

Oh, and thanks for reading! :)

With david Bradley role as the 1st doctor in the Christmas special,im be wondering if they could get other actors in to play some of the early incarnations of the doctor(sean pertwee would do a good job as the 3rd doctor)or bring back McCoy or colin baker to reprise their roles for couple episodes.

1 hour ago, mr Pointy Ears said:

With david Bradley role as the 1st doctor in the Christmas special,im be wondering if they could get other actors in to play some of the early incarnations of the doctor(sean pertwee would do a good job as the 3rd doctor)or bring back McCoy or colin baker to reprise their roles for couple episodes.

For the most part, I'd rather they didn't. I really liked Bradley's version, and the boxset he did for Big Finish was quite good at recreating the 60s era...but I'd rather they move forward more often than not. Leave past Doctors to Big Finish where they can soar, often by the original actors who look far older than when their incarnations died.  And while Sean PErtwee looks enough like his dad and could certainly sound like him just enough...I think it is a tall ask for the son to step into his father's shoes and try and live up to that.  I have feeling in general he wouldn't want to have that put on him. 

But multi-Doctor stories should be used sparingly, usually for special occasions, like anniversaries.  Only one non-anniversary special with a multi-Doctor element has actually worked for me so far, and that's Twice Upon a Time. 

It’s been oft-mooted that the BBC should try past Doctors in animated form. Some of the DVD reconstructions are a sort of dry run for that - the idea being, you’d get soundtracks a la Big Finish and low budget animation to recreate the look and feel of each Doctor’s respective eras. With actors who are no longer with us, you’d get, say, Frazer Hines to do his impeccable impersonation of Troughton. RTD was into it, but it remains to be seen whether it’ll happen under Chibnall’s watch. I suspect not. 

Sad to see Capaldi go, but looking forward to new title sequence and a new tardis interior, well it has a female touch now.

4 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

It’s been oft-mooted that the BBC should try past Doctors in animated form. Some of the DVD reconstructions are a sort of dry run for that - the idea being, you’d get soundtracks a la Big Finish and low budget animation to recreate the look and feel of each Doctor’s respective eras. With actors who are no longer with us, you’d get, say, Frazer Hines to do his impeccable impersonation of Troughton. RTD was into it, but it remains to be seen whether it’ll happen under Chibnall’s watch. I suspect not. 

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-06-14/jon-pertwees-son-sean-reveals-he-was-asked-to-be-in-last-years-doctor-who/

Piccy in this of Sean as the 3rd Dr

15 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

A shame if it doesn’t happen...

Sign in to follow this