Sign in to follow this  
Robin Bland

Doctor Who - General Discussion

kenman   
14 hours ago, mr Pointy Ears said:

How is twice upon a time fits into the tenth planet saga,i watch the tenth planet the other night and cant work out how the first doctor shows up.

My guess is at the very end when he leaves the base and heads towards the TARDIS, he slips off for an adventure with the Twelfth Doctor, and with time travel and all he is returned to the snow for Ben and Polly to arrive outside the TARDIS banging on the door, and then he regenerates. The trailer also seemed to make it evident that part of the plot of this involved Time Stopping...so time-travelling craziness will most definitely be apart of Moff's grand exit (especially as it was a hallmark of his tenure).

kenman   

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/09/david-bradley-to-play-first-doctor-for.html

Kinda neat news. Could be fun to get a full on solo First Doctor adventure with the Adventures in Space and Time cast.  I'm interested to see them playing the parts...and from the sounds of it, they are attempting a sort of Star Trek Continues style...the parts are recast, but they are trying to faithfully replicate an era, without getting into parody in the performances.  I'm down for that, particularly since Bradley captures that gruffness and warmth of Hartnell (in his own way) rather well. Much like Mignogna captures the spirit of Kirk without mimicking Shatner.  I definitely prefer Bradley's recasting of the First Doctor to the Richard Hurndall of the Five Doctors (which wasn't awful but only got the grumpy side of the character, missed all the humor and warmth). 

On 8/16/2017 at 0:52 PM, kenman said:

My guess is at the very end when he leaves the base and heads towards the TARDIS, he slips off for an adventure with the Twelfth Doctor, and with time travel and all he is returned to the snow for Ben and Polly to arrive outside the TARDIS banging on the door, and then he regenerates. The trailer also seemed to make it evident that part of the plot of this involved Time Stopping...so time-travelling craziness will most definitely be apart of Moff's grand exit (especially as it was a hallmark of his tenure).

^

Sounds very plausible. 

9 hours ago, kenman said:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/09/david-bradley-to-play-first-doctor-for.html

Kinda neat news. Could be fun to get a full on solo First Doctor adventure with the Adventures in Space and Time cast.  I'm interested to see them playing the parts...and from the sounds of it, they are attempting a sort of Star Trek Continues style...the parts are recast, but they are trying to faithfully replicate an era, without getting into parody in the performances.  I'm down for that, particularly since Bradley captures that gruffness and warmth of Hartnell (in his own way) rather well. Much like Mignogna captures the spirit of Kirk without mimicking Shatner.  I definitely prefer Bradley's recasting of the First Doctor to the Richard Hurndall of the Five Doctors (which wasn't awful but only got the grumpy side of the character, missed all the humor and warmth). 

^
I read that on Twitter yesterday, and I love that idea!  The AISAT cast did such a great job of recreating those actors’ interpretations of those characters that it makes perfect sense to use them in those very same roles again.  Bradley captures all of Hartnell’s nuances so perfectly that I can easily ‘lose myself’ and forget that I’m NOT watching William Hartnell. 

kenman   
11 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Yeah. Looks like a riff on the tenth's coat with Mork's braces.

Even the shirt is very Mork.

To paraphrase a quote from Hank Azaria’s “Agador" from 1996’s The Birdcage, “She’s a combination of Mork and Mindy.”  :laugh:

Now I’ve taken a day to get used to it, I like it. Lots of subtle flourishes without being too OTT. Except maybe for the culottes, but I’m sure they’ll change it up a bit as her first series progresses. 

I’m kind of taken with the new TARDIS exterior - a black sign (like Tom Baker’s Police Box) and a darker, more messed up paint scheme - that’s more like it. Not bothered that the St. John’s Ambulance sign has vanished again. Probably means a new console room, too. 

(New theme arrangement too!) 

Edited by Robin Bland

4 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Now I’ve taken a day to get used to it, I like it. Lots of subtle flourishes without being too OTT. Except maybe for the culottes, but I’m sure they’ll change it up a bit as her first series progresses. 

I’m kind of taken with the new TARDIS exterior - a black sign (like Tom Baker’s Police Box) and a darker, more messed up paint scheme - that’s more like it. Not bothered that the St. John’s Ambulance sign has vanished again. Probably means a new console room, too. 

(New theme arrangement too!) 

Looking very forward to the new interior as well.  :thumbup:

Would love to see a return to the more organic looking interior of Doctors 9 & 10.

kenman   

I really love the current design...a hint of that classic Console room, yet still very much new and modern.  Hopefully it doesn't change too much.  I like the Organic bit of the Tennant days...but I prefer the sleeker futuristic look of the current model.  Though if they did something similar to the Model seen here but jazzed up or modernized?:

p03bhdmc.jpg

Well I would find that cool as well.  I got tired of the mish mash TARDIS designs, with quirky items coming out of em (The Eleventh's original interior was a step too far in the quirky dept in hindsight). I like the cleaner looks, that make it seem like this device from a future civilization.  Though I like the 12th Current mix of a clean future design, mixed with some clutter of bookshelves and things. 

8 hours ago, kenman said:

I really love the current design...a hint of that classic Console room, yet still very much new and modern.  Hopefully it doesn't change too much.  I like the Organic bit of the Tennant days...but I prefer the sleeker futuristic look of the current model.  Though if they did something similar to the Model seen here but jazzed up or modernized?:

p03bhdmc.jpg

Well I would find that cool as well.  I got tired of the mish mash TARDIS designs, with quirky items coming out of em (The Eleventh's original interior was a step too far in the quirky dept in hindsight). I like the cleaner looks, that make it seem like this device from a future civilization.  Though I like the 12th Current mix of a clean future design, mixed with some clutter of bookshelves and things. 

I like the current console room design too. It’s the best one they’ve had since the show restarted in 2005 - it’s got a sense of the old mixing with the new, which is of course very Doctor Who. The original Eccleston/Tennant coral “grown” one with its orangey-green lighting was fun, but I haaaated the first Matt Smith design - just too much going on - so I hope they don’t go in that direction. I understand that the very clean and antiseptic white lines of the replicated original console room are very difficult to shoot on, although it looks magnificent onscreen. Maybe if, as you suggest, they used that as a basis and modernized it, added some color? I’d be happy if they kept the current one (as they did in the old days) but tweaked it to to fit the current Doctor. With the the way the show is made now, with a new showrunner putting both his visual and writerly stamp on the production, that doesn’t seem to be an option any more. 

I guess we’ll know reasonably soon... 

kenman   

Yea it’ll probably a complete overhaul unless budgets get in the way. And budgets keeping them from too much change is a definite option. Redress the old, save money.

Slight change of gears, I don’t mean to advertise myself here or anything, but as it is Doctor Who (general) related, I wrote a Review for Doctor Who News about a recent Big Finish story. I may become a regular contributor! I don’t intend to advertise my postings further, but as this is the first I thought I’d share with you guys. 

http://reviews.doctorwhonews.net/2017/11/time_in_office.html

Enough of my shameless plug. 

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

The original Eccleston/Tennant coral “grown” one with its orangey-green lighting was fun, but I haaaated the first Matt Smith design - just too much going on - so I hope they don’t go in that direction.

Yeah, the first Smith version looked like something out of Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory. 

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

Maybe if, as you suggest, they used that as a basis and modernized it, added some color? I’d be happy if they kept the current one (as they did in the old days) but tweaked it to to fit the current Doctor.

Me too. 

The main reason I preferred the organic coral look of 9/10 was that it struck me as the most alien; a civilization that has time in their pocket would find a way past the ‘nuts-and-bolts’ of our technology; much as 3D printed limbs for amputees are much more elegant than their ball-and-socket counterparts of earlier eras, for example.   It made the Tardis feel more ‘alive’ to me; like an ancient sea mammal roaming spacetime like a vast ocean, rather than just a nuts-and-bolts machine. 

That said, I also loved Doctor 8’s Tardis.  Basically a vast library/reading room with a beautiful, Wells-ian control console.   I saw the actual console once; at a convention about 4 years ago.  The level of detail and craftsmanship were amazing.   The overall effect was slightly gothic, yet welcoming at the same time; kind of like some of the Doctor’s adventures... bizarre and a little frightening, but with an undercurrent of the Doctor’s  personal warmth.

22 minutes ago, kenman said:

Yea it’ll probably a complete overhaul unless budgets get in the way. And budgets keeping them from too much change is a definite option. Redress the old, save money.

Slight change of gears, I don’t mean to advertise myself here or anything, but as it is Doctor Who (general) related, I wrote a Review for Doctor Who News about a recent Big Finish story. I may become a regular contributor! I don’t intend to advertise my postings further, but as this is the first I thought I’d share with you guys. 

No shame here.   I plug my silly blog all the time... :P

I’m going to read that in full when I get home later today.

I like the current one much better than the others. Why would he have controls all made from stuff you'd find in a storage bin? That was never explained. I know back in the late 90's some had used early photoshop to update the old series look and it looked quite impressive.

This is from an early 2000 special w/McCoy hosting; drwho_tardis_s27.jpg

This one the walls open for other rooms, and the console no longer has switches and knobs (think TNG consoles).

new-tardis-console-room-1.jpg

A similar take;

tardiscontrolroom.jpg

kenman   

Buttons and knobs are more fun in my opinion, both for the actor and for the viewer. Visually pushing a button or pulling a big switch is more interesting that tapping a piece of glass. I’d hate for the Doctor to lose the ability to pull a big switch and take his companions to the wrong place. We need those big sweeping moments, they work to the shows visual flair I think. 

Buttons and knobs are more fun in my opinion, both for the actor and for the viewer. Visually pushing a button or pulling a big switch is more interesting that tapping a piece of glass. I’d hate for the Doctor to lose the ability to pull a big switch and take his companions to the wrong place. We need those big sweeping moments, they work to the shows visual flair I think. 

I agree about the wonderful physicality and tactility of the Tardis’ controls (both for actors and the audience), but that Photoshop Tardis interior is impressive.   Might make for a better ST-style console though; maybe an Iconian gateway (?).

On 11/15/2017 at 8:50 AM, kenman said:

Nice review, and congrats! I look forward to more. I’ve fallen off with listening to BF, simply due to a lack of time. But this release really interested me, as I heard it was based on a sitcom format, so it’s nice to see a review from someone whose word on this stuff I trust. (Word to the wise - get a 2nd pair of eyes on your writing before you post. Look at the second sentence of your third paragraph. Sorry, couldn’t help but notice - it’s the editor in me.) 

io9 put up a clip of the forthcoming Xmas spesh, but I didn’t watch. Want to come to it fresh. 

https://io9.gizmodo.com/in-this-doctor-who-christmas-special-clip-the-first-do-1820554948

On 11/16/2017 at 6:37 PM, Sehlat Vie said:

I agree about the wonderful physicality and tactility of the Tardis’ controls (both for actors and the audience), but that Photoshop Tardis interior is impressive.   Might make for a better ST-style console though; maybe an Iconian gateway (?).

Yeah. I’ve seen the McGann console too, plus both versions of the classic console (that is, versions of both - the hero props changed  and evolved many times). I liked the idea of the coral control room, but I like the aesthetic of Capaldi’s one much more. 

On 11/16/2017 at 0:03 AM, John32070 said:

This is from an early 2000 special w/McCoy hosting; drwho_tardis_s27.jpg

I remember that! That was a miniature that Mike Tucker built. It was displayed in the reception area of the BBC TV Centre for a while. I loved the way the central console was supported only from the ceiling above. 

I like this one, but maybe it’s a little too bright for modern audiences. Maybe with lower lighting: 

tardiscontrolroom.jpg

It’s cool how there are glimpses to other rooms beyond the console area. Suggestions of a library decked out in wood. The old chairs. 

I do wonder if Chibnall will reinstate the roundels? Bring back the round things! 

Edited by Robin Bland

kenman   
On 11/18/2017 at 10:05 AM, Robin Bland said:

Nice review, and congrats! I look forward to more. I’ve fallen off with listening to BF, simply due to a lack of time. But this release really interested me, as I heard it was based on a sitcom format, so it’s nice to see a review from someone whose word on this stuff I trust. (Word to the wise - get a 2nd pair of eyes on your writing before you post. Look at the second sentence of your third paragraph. Sorry, couldn’t help but notice - it’s the editor in me.)

Oops!  I've been writing reviews for both Who and Trek on my blog for years, and I do tend to read em a few times before posting, odd that I missed that when I sent it as a submission tho! I've written my second review already, which is on the graphic novel collection the Titan Third Doctor mini-series. 

Oops!  I've been writing reviews for both Who and Trek on my blog for years, and I do tend to read em a few times before posting, odd that I missed that when I sent it as a submission tho! I've written my second review already, which is on the graphic novel collection the Titan Third Doctor mini-series. 

Happens to us all. The “Typo Effect.” Sometimes I find you get a kind of “edit blindness” when re-reading your own work and you just bleep over bits like that! Look forward to the next review.  

^
I’m a fan of those.   Got the whole run at the L.A. Gallifrey One con last year.  The Third Doctor was never really a favorite of mine in live-action, but the graphic novel mini-series was amazing.  

kenman   
23 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^
I’m a fan of those.   Got the whole run at the L.A. Gallifrey One con last year.  The Third Doctor was never really a favorite of mine in live-action, but the graphic novel mini-series was amazing.  

See thats funny, because what I enjoyed about it, was that it so perfectly captured the feel of that Era of TV. It got the tone and style and characters right. 

And I guess...heres the review:

http://reviews.doctorwhonews.net/2017/11/third_doctor_vol_1_heralds_of_destruction.html 

Sign in to follow this