Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Robin Bland

Doctor Who - General Discussion

347 posts in this topic

More hints that we may be seeing Genesis of the Cybermen...!

The official line is that Capaldi is leaving at Christmas... I'd be sad if we didn't get a final Christmas special with him.

5 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

More hints that we may be seeing Genesis of the Cybermen...!

Hard to believe that in all the years of the show, this is one story we still haven't seen yet...exciting! :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Hard to believe that in all the years of the show, this is one story we still haven't seen yet...exciting! :thumbup:

There is a pretty excellent Big Finish audio drama about the origins, called Spare Parts, and starring Peter Davison. Worth a listen!

I thought the original Cybermen might just be one of those stories-within-a-story the Moff does from time to time - not a whole episode, just a preamble to the main story. But it looks from this that they'll feature quite heavily!

1 minute ago, kenman said:

There is a pretty excellent Big Finish audio drama about the origins, called Spare Parts, and starring Peter Davison. Worth a listen!

Yeah, it's terrific. One of the best pieces of Who ever, in whatever format.

SPOILERS AHEAD BEWARE: 

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/04/masterful-return-060417164508.html?m=1

So...it is not just the Missy incarnation of the Master returning...apparently John Simm is also making an appearance with her as tge Saxon Master! I am down for this, as I loved his version, and I am not sure we have ever had a multi-Master story before (at least not on TV). Could be interesting. 

I try to avoid spoilers myself, beyond trailers and those things they throw into press releases, but I was surprised to see this. Wish they kept it a surprise, but they are probably getting ahead of a leak that was a-coming, much like the early release of the Night of the Doctor, which they dropped early to avoid the McGann return getting spoiled. 

Haha, I think this could be brilliant! The Two Masters...!

I wish it could have been kept a secret too, but I suppose it's just too big to keep from getting out.

3 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

I wish it could have been kept a secret too, but I suppose it's just too big to keep from getting out.

I loved Simm, so I am jazzed to get at least one more story out of him, just wonder if he will be written with the sake voice he had under RTD, or if Moff's writing might change the interpretation a bit. 

I think Gomez brings a nice fresh take and all, beyond just a new gender, but I think he version feels too often to be playing it up for laughs, particularly in that Dalek/Davros opener last year. 

5 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

This is such an amazing idea... in a way, I'm actually glad they spoiled it; now I have something else to look forward to besides the rollout of Bill. :thumbup:

Yay!

It looks like there will be more classic "Doctor Who" releases in Germany after all! :thumbup:

On this forum, I found a statement by PandaStorm (the publisher who released Doctors #6 and #7 plus the 1996 movie in Germany): They posted a large picture with the 5th Doctor on their homepage on April 1st, titled "April fools!", that said "Something is coming to you in 2017!"

Of course, rumors broke out if it indeed was just an April's fool joke, but finally, Pandastorm released the following statement:

"Dear Whovians, after our April joke caused such an uproar, here the solution. Of course the topic is way too serious to joke about. ;) There is really something coming to you. Thanks to you ongoing support and enthusiasm, we took efforts and can state now, that "Doctor Who - The Movie" won't be our last release from the 'Classic Who Universe'. We're still in the middle of the planning and will keep you updated. In the meanwhile, we would like to ask for your patience. Have a good week and until soon, your Pandastorm Team."

Meanwhile, the other publisher PolyBand (releasing NuWho), who had announced to release a subtitled original version of "An Unearthly Child" on April 28th, has no longer released any further information, and the DVD is not available for preorder either.

Their last statement is from January 20th, when they asked for feedback from the German fandom (and most fans said that mere subtitled versions are not really interesting, because casual viewers don't buy subs in Germany, and fans already got the UK release), and hinted at the possibility of a crowdfunding for a dubbing. But so far -- no new information.

So there are two publishers potentially interested in classic Who in Germany now? Yay!

And given their references to off-screen adventures when Mickey joined the two of them, this could easily fit.

I think there are always pockets of unseen adventures throughout every era of Doctor Who. Getting Billie Piper back is a big deal!

3 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

I think there are always pockets of unseen adventures throughout every era of Doctor Who. Getting Billie Piper back is a big deal!

^
This is true. 

Each Doctor has their little 'lost adventures'; just like Star Trek.  The bits of wiggle room inspire so much, like the Big Finish audio dramas, or the Titan comic books.  This is one of the few drawbacks with the current trend toward serialization; less wiggle room.  But luckily the Doctor travels in both space and time, so... there's that. ;)

19 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^
This is true. 

Each Doctor has their little 'lost adventures'; just like Star Trek.  The bits of wiggle room inspire so much, like the Big Finish audio dramas, or the Titan comic books.  This is one of the few drawbacks with the current trend toward serialization; less wiggle room.  But luckily the Doctor travels in both space and time, so... there's that. ;)

I dunno, the serialization is within the series. I suppose, right now, it limits further unseen adventures with Bill, but not Nardole, not on his own. The 12th Doctor's been a (mostly) earthbound lecturer at Bristol Uni for 50 years. He was on that planet with River Song for another 27. That's just two instances. What was he doing before both those? how long did he travel on his own, forgetful of Clara? (I'm not convinced he's really forgotten her. I think it's sham show for the benefit of the Time Lords.) I think there's huge, vast, bigger-on-the-inside pockets wherever you look. :)

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

I dunno, the serialization is within the series. I suppose, right now, it limits further unseen adventures with Bill, but not Nardole, not on his own. The 12th Doctor's been a (mostly) earthbound lecturer at Bristol Uni for 50 years. He was on that planet with River Song for another 27. That's just two instances. What was he doing before both those? how long did he travel on his own, forgetful of Clara? (I'm not convinced he's really forgotten her. I think it's sham show for the benefit of the Time Lords.) I think there's huge, vast, bigger-on-the-inside pockets wherever you look. :)

I should've clarified; yes, of course you're right, the serialization is within the show itself, but that it deliberately works in these large pockets to be filled later on is somewhat unique.   

DW's flexible format is truly the best of both worlds.

"Bigger on the inside" pockets...cheeky. :giggle:

Yay! The publisher Pandastorm has announced a release of "The Caves of Androzani" in Germany:

https://www.amazon.de/Doctor-Who-Fünfter-Doktor-Androzani/dp/B07234RCL1/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1495399653&sr=1-1&keywords=doctor+who

The price for the limited media box is €25 and it's supposed to be released on August 25th. In October, a regular release is supposed to follow.

Amazing: The publisher finances a German dubbing for the release! I assume that's pretty risky, because that's expensive and the release really has to pay off well for them to make more.

Well, it's a Doctor Who story that consistently makes the top of fan polls, so I guess for a classic one, it's a reasonably safe bet. 

9 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Well, it's a Doctor Who story that consistently makes the top of fan polls, so I guess for a classic one, it's a reasonably safe bet. 

It also ties in to previous classic DW releases in Germany, as the first regular episode included is "The Twin Dilemma". This, and "The Five Doctors" has been released as a special before, so even German viewers who never watched original language episodes are at least slightly familiar with Davison's 5th Doctor.

At any rate, I hope it'll be a success for Pandastorm, so they're going to dub even more classic episodes. Meanwhile, another publisher, Polyband, is still working on a 1st Doctor release ... after an exchange with German fans online, they apparently halted their plans for a merely subtitled release and considered venues for a dubbing, too. Hopefully, competition is good for business (and the viewers). :laugh:

(Not that I totally require a dubbed version, but it would be a great additional value that warrents buying it -- I'd love to compare both versions, and maybe even my wife, who isn't into watching English stuff, might join me.)

Based on what I read on that German DW forum, it pretty much is consensus that most people aren't interested in a merely subtitled release -- all the hardcore fans got the UK imports already and wouldn't care to buy a virtually identical product another time. But with added dubbing? Everybody is crazy about it ...

On 6/15/2017 at 1:10 PM, Robin Bland said:

Excellent, candid interview with outgoing showrunner of Doctor Who Steven Moffat. 

http://koquillion.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/steven-moffat-head-writer.html?m=1 

Great interview!

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/06/derek-jacobi-returns-as-master-for-big.html

Here is some neat news from the Big Finish end, they are releasing a Boxset focused in on the all-too-briefly seen Derek Jacobi incarnation of the Master, seeing a glimpse into his life during the Time War, before he disappeared, and hid himself away as Professor Yana.  It might be a fun set starring a great actor and another glimpse of the Time War.  I have yet to get a chance at the final War Doctor set starring John Hurt, but I enjoyed the first three a lot, so I am down for some of this. 

9 hours ago, kenman said:

Great interview!

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/06/derek-jacobi-returns-as-master-for-big.html

Here is some neat news from the Big Finish end, they are releasing a Boxset focused in on the all-too-briefly seen Derek Jacobi incarnation of the Master, seeing a glimpse into his life during the Time War, before he disappeared, and hid himself away as Professor Yana.  It might be a fun set starring a great actor and another glimpse of the Time War.  I have yet to get a chance at the final War Doctor set starring John Hurt, but I enjoyed the first three a lot, so I am down for some of this. 

Yeah, that is big news. This is as huge as getting John Hurt back as the War Doctor. Those are mostly very good plays, so I've high hopes for this set also! :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0