Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Robin Bland

Doctor Who - General Discussion

314 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

There's also the new Ice Warrior as mentioned by Mark Gatiss. Sounds a bit "greatest hits!" But I think Mr Moffat has had a high hit rate with making the Cybermen creepy again. That Pandorica scene where Amy Pond is attacked by one and its nano-tentacles wrap around her is fantastic. And all the Death in Heaven stuff was very eerie. Well, until they all became Iron Man, but strangely, I find I can live with that too. CyberBrig might've been a step too far towards the ridiculous, but hey, it's Doctor Who. As someone who doesn't care that much about the knotty continuity of their history (are they from Mondas? Telos? Cybus?), I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with the Cybermen next. I suspect the appearance of the 10th Planet ones are very much a goodbye present to Capaldi, who is on record as asking for them. So this is the two of them indulging their inner fanboys - and hey, why not? :) 

There are some minor stylistic differences, eh? Probably due to modern materials being used, more lightweight construction, etc. I note also they have rubber gloves instead of the naked human hands the originals had. Which might be something to do with the fact that they're now appearing in color. 

The ski mask faces look a bit sturdier too; at least now they no longer look so much like liquor store robbery suspects... :giggle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am less thrilled about the Ice Warriors. Never been my favorite monster, I enjoyed "Cold Blood" well enough, I just don't have the same love for them as Gatiss clearly does.  Honestly I doubt that Capaldi will have all his wishes granted in this final year. Will they really do Axons and Daemons again?  I can more honestly see Moffat picking one of his wishlist items and giving him a big go at it, than trying to make sure they all get in in 12-13 episodes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not bothered about the Ice Warriors, either. Cold Blood was okay, nothing great. I think Gatiss' hit rate is very low - of the 7 (8?) eps he's written, I think two are above average. So the idea of another of his Ice warrior episodes doesn't fill me with wild enthusiasm. I tried re-watching Sleep No More recently and wow, it's a bore. It's actually a very clever piece of writing - but it just doesn't work as an episode of DW. It distances you from the the characters you're supposed to care about. Arguably, the problems with it could be laid at the door of the director, but I think it's just misconceived.

At his best - away from Doctor Who - Gatiss is amazing. I sort of wish he'd just write another episode like The Crimson Horror or The Unquiet Dead which were to my mind, his most successful episodes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

I'm not bothered about the Ice Warriors, either. Cold Blood was okay, nothing great. I think Gatiss' hit rate is very low - of the 7 (8?) eps he's written, I think two are above average. So the idea of another of his Ice warrior episodes doesn't fill me with wild enthusiasm. I tried re-watching Sleep No More recently and wow, it's a bore. It's actually a very clever piece of writing - but it just doesn't work as an episode of DW. It distances you from the the characters you're supposed to care about. Arguably, the problems with it could be laid at the door of the director, but I think it's just misconceived.

At his best - away from Doctor Who - Gatiss is amazing. I sort of wish he'd just write another episode like The Crimson Horror or The Unquiet Dead which were to my mind, his most successful episodes. 

I am with you there. Ice Warriors aren't my favorite, even in their classic appearances, and Gatiss does have a fairly low batting average, so nothing about the two returning together fills me with some sense of excitement. And Sleep No More derailed what, for me, was the finest run of episodes Who has seen in some time.  I don't even care much for the premise, I just found it a boring idea, with a horrible and tedious presentation, just not much to enjoy at all. Even by Gatiss' usual average to humdrum scale, I think that story was a real low. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, kenman said:

I am with you there. Ice Warriors aren't my favorite, even in their classic appearances, and Gatiss does have a fairly low batting average, so nothing about the two returning together fills me with some sense of excitement. And Sleep No More derailed what, for me, was the finest run of episodes Who has seen in some time.  I don't even care much for the premise, I just found it a boring idea, with a horrible and tedious presentation, just not much to enjoy at all. Even by Gatiss' usual average to humdrum scale, I think that story was a real low. 

Completely agree. When he's announced as a writer, at this stage with that track record you can't help but feel a sense of it being something a wasted slot. While I respect Mr Moffat's assertion (I think it was in the pages of DWM) that when he gets a Gatiss script, there's nothing he has to do to it, no rewrites, it's ready to be made, and that dependability in TV production is a huge bonus, I can't help but think there must be other dependable writers out there who get Who and can provide same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Completely agree. When he's announced as a writer, at this stage with that track record you can't help but feel a sense of it being something a wasted slot. While I respect Mr Moffat's assertion (I think it was in the pages of DWM) that when he gets a Gatiss script, there's nothing he has to do to it, no rewrites, it's ready to be made, and that dependability in TV production is a huge bonus, I can't help but think there must be other dependable writers out there who get Who and can provide same.

I think because Gatiss and Moffat became such good friends, it plays into it. I think Moffat was trying to make Gatiss the heir to the throne or something. Moff had been the obvious choice to succeed Davies, only other person to contribute a story each year under Davies run, critical acclaim for his scripts...I think Moff genuinely thought he could make Gatiss the same kinda deal. But Gatiss just couldn't succeed in terms of quality at the same rate. I loved the Crimson Horror...but most of his contributions left something to be desired. And in the end it, happily, didn't work.  They didn't go to Gatiss. I can't imagine he wouldn't desperately want it, he probably tried to get it...and maybe someone at the BBC has some brains.  I am not saying Chibnall is the most exciting choice in the world, but I just feel he might be the better alternative to poor ol' Gatiss (who seems so nice and suc a big fan that I'd love to root for him, but I just can't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/03/series-ten-trailer.html

Latest trailer for Series 10.  Looks like tons of fun.  Theres the old foes returning, Daleks, The Master, the previously discussed Ice Warriors (but it looks like a lady Ice Warrior, what a twist...) and Original Cybermen, but there seems to be plenty of new stuff in their too.  Plus Bill seems like a nice change of pace from Clara, someone to change it up and keep things fresh. And I enjoyed Nardole, so I am interested to see this new dynamic for Capaldi's final year.  Hope he goes out with a bang and another solid year! Really can't wait, this new year looks to be as much fun as the last, and we can only dream of it having as good a run of episodes as Series 9. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kenman said:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/03/series-ten-trailer.html

Latest trailer for Series 10.  Looks like tons of fun.  Theres the old foes returning, Daleks, The Master, the previously discussed Ice Warriors (but it looks like a lady Ice Warrior, what a twist...) and Original Cybermen, but there seems to be plenty of new stuff in their too.  Plus Bill seems like a nice change of pace from Clara, someone to change it up and keep things fresh. And I enjoyed Nardole, so I am interested to see this new dynamic for Capaldi's final year.  Hope he goes out with a bang and another solid year! Really can't wait, this new year looks to be as much fun as the last, and we can only dream of it having as good a run of episodes as Series 9. 

Great trailer!! 

Lots of returning favorites, but it looks like the Doctor is back doing what he does best; traipsing across the universe with companions in tow, having a great time...:thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I love about that trailer was it looked like there'd be as much new as old, and that pretty much sums up why Who continues to work, it has really found that balance that rewards old fans and longtime viewers, but keeps it moving forward with fresh new companions and monsters and villains...and presenting it all in a way that can keep luring new audience members in.  Can't wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am really into Bill's hair. She can give the twelfth Doctor's grey quiff a run for his money, and what with Nardole's baby-bald looks, we have quite a diverse set of hair-- um, head-styles this coming season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

I am really into Bill's hair. She can give the twelfth Doctor's grey quiff a run for his money, and what with Nardole's baby-bald looks, we have quite a diverse set of hair-- um, head-styles this coming season.

I can't wait to see more of Bill; it'll be nice to see everything through fresh eyes again.   I loved Clara, but she seemed to always be in the know; in the thick of things; she was almost too quick and too clever right out of the box (and there was a reason, of course).   And as a result, there was almost none of the old 'getting-used-to-all-of-this' phase.  And because of that, some of the 'awe' was gone.   I'm not really complaining too loudly since Clara was a great character, but Bill seems to be a return to the basics of a DW companion; a regular person who acts as an audience surrogate, and who is special precisely because she IS one of us.  

One of the wonderful messages of DW; human beings are special creatures... hence the Doctor's eternal fascination with them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I can't wait to see more of Bill; it'll be nice to see everything through fresh eyes again.   I loved Clara, but she seemed to always be in the know; in the thick of things; she was almost too quick and too clever right out of the box (and there was a reason, of course).   And as a result, there was almost none of the old 'getting-used-to-all-of-this' phase.  And because of that, some of the 'awe' was gone.   I'm not really complaining too loudly since Clara was a great character, but Bill seems to be a return to the basics of a DW companion; a regular person who acts as an audience surrogate, and who is special precisely because she IS one of us.  

One of the wonderful messages of DW; human beings are special creatures... hence the Doctor's eternal fascination with them. 

New Who has tended to go with that a bit - Rose as Bad Wolf/the Moment, Amy as Eleven's muse, Clara as the Impossible Girl. All have had a greater influence over the Doctor's destiny than previous companions, who were just people, whether alien or from Earth. Special people, as you observe, because to the Doctor, no-one's unimportant. Yeah, I do miss that a little - someone fun that he just wants to show cool things around the Universe to. Perhaps Bill's superpower is that she has excellent hair that the Doctor envies. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

New Who has tended to go with that a bit - Rose as Bad Wolf/the Moment, Amy as Eleven's muse, Clara as the Impossible Girl. All have had a greater influence over the Doctor's destiny than previous companions, who were just people, whether alien or from Earth. Special people, as you observe, because to the Doctor, no-one's unimportant. Yeah, I do miss that a little - someone fun that he just wants to show cool things around the Universe to. Perhaps Bill's superpower is that she has excellent hair that the Doctor envies. :) 

Maybe next regeneration... ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Maybe next regeneration... ;)

I can see it... :punk:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0