Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Robin Bland

Doctor Who - General Discussion

347 posts in this topic

I'm completely American but I found "The Thick of It"and the film "In the Loop" to be quite funny, especially Capaldi, and he has some solid funny moments as the Doctor...he is a slightly more grounded and less zany Doctor than Smith, but he still makes me laugh from time to time. 

I find Capaldi absolutely hilarious as the Doctor. He can be serious, but most of the time, he's funny as hell. IMO.

I'm completely American but I found "The Thick of It"and the film "In the Loop" to be quite funny, especially Capaldi, and he has some solid funny moments as the Doctor...he is a slightly more grounded and less zany Doctor than Smith, but he still makes me laugh from time to time. 

Me too.

Something about his delivery; I like his little 'senior moments' from time to time too.  They remind me of Troughton's Doctor. 

Being 'of a certain age' myself, I guess I relate. :P

I find Capaldi absolutely hilarious as the Doctor. He can be serious, but most of the time, he's funny as hell. IMO.

He is funny, but whereas Smith was wacky and physical, Capaldi is more dry humor, seems more about his social ineptitude and his grumpier aspects, and less about him talking fast saying silly things or being a physically awkward.

He is funny, but whereas Smith was wacky and physical, Capaldi is more dry humor, seems more about his social ineptitude and his grumpier aspects, and less about him talking fast saying silly things or being a physically awkward.

Yes, absolutely. And his grimaces are priceless!

In fact, I find Capaldi much funnier than Smith, who was just "silly" most of the time.

Edited by Sim

I was watching some funny clips of Richard Ayoade just last night (Stumbled upon them on youtube, not really familiar with him, but the dude is quite funny)...I'd be down with him to be honest. 

Olivia Coleman only seems like people's possible pick purely because of Chibnall and Broadchurch...but I remember an interview with Tennant where he was talking about filming Broadchurch and he was constantly being approached by fans, and in the story it seemed as if Coleman seemed to think it happened far too often.  Since it is a major consideration with these things, I have a feeling she would pass just to avoid that constant onslaught of fandom and attention she would then receive.  Something just tells me she is not going to be interested in the role. And people did the same thing when Tennant was leaving and Moff was taking over...it was a big ol' game of "who has he worked with before!" And I just don't think that is going to be the main consideration here.

Ruth Negga is currently nominated for an Academy Award.  Her career is on a different trajectory than getting contracted into a British sci-fi series for at least three years.  She is going to have classy roles offered to her for a little while, movies and money and awards.  I just find the idea of her being like "I can live in Wales for a few years doing a long and difficult shoot on a TV show for less money?" a tad hard to believe. 

And I know she is well loved for Agent Carter here on this forum...but Haley Atwell seems too conventionally pretty to me, to be the Doctor.  The Doctor, even when he has been attractive in the past, should look a little strange.  Tennant was loved by the ladies, but there is something unconventional about him too.

Winshaw I've only really seen as Q in the Bond films, he is quite good and I could see him in the role someday...but they still need to stray from white young male for a while. Gay or not. 

Not really familiar with the others on that list. 

I was watching some funny clips of Richard Ayoade just last night (Stumbled upon them on youtube, not really familiar with him, but the dude is quite funny)...I'd be down with him to be honest. 

Olivia Coleman only seems like people's possible pick purely because of Chibnall and Broadchurch...but I remember an interview with Tennant where he was talking about filming Broadchurch and he was constantly being approached by fans, and in the story it seemed as if Coleman seemed to think it happened far too often.  Since it is a major consideration with these things, I have a feeling she would pass just to avoid that constant onslaught of fandom and attention she would then receive.  Something just tells me she is not going to be interested in the role. And people did the same thing when Tennant was leaving and Moff was taking over...it was a big ol' game of "who has he worked with before!" And I just don't think that is going to be the main consideration here.

Ruth Negga is currently nominated for an Academy Award.  Her career is on a different trajectory than getting contracted into a British sci-fi series for at least three years.  She is going to have classy roles offered to her for a little while, movies and money and awards.  I just find the idea of her being like "I can live in Wales for a few years doing a long and difficult shoot on a TV show for less money?" a tad hard to believe. 

And I know she is well loved for Agent Carter here on this forum...but Haley Atwell seems too conventionally pretty to me, to be the Doctor.  The Doctor, even when he has been attractive in the past, should look a little strange.  Tennant was loved by the ladies, but there is something unconventional about him too.

Winshaw I've only really seen as Q in the Bond films, he is quite good and I could see him in the role someday...but they still need to stray from white young male for a while. Gay or not. 

Not really familiar with the others on that list. 

I remember that Coleman piece, more for her protectiveness of Tennant from the attentions of voracious DW fans than for anything else. I dunno if it'd preclude her from considering the role, as she is already a huge, huge star in the UK and has been for years. I get a sense she just doesn't suffer fools gladly, is all. She'd be expensive, I know that much. Same's true for Wishaw, really. Both are utterly terrific, compelling in everything they do. (Wishaw's Q barely scratches the surface of what he can do.)

Negga's of Irish origin, so I could see maybe she wouldn't mind working on her native side of the Atlantic, but I agree that her career seems far more bound up with things on this continent. She was the best thing about Agents of SHIELD and damn, she's beautiful. I think it was just a leftfield suggestion that a lot of people liked, but I know she's also committed to at least another season of Preacher right now too, so it's a very unlikely pick. Same for Riz Ahmed. He's superb. Same bracket of British actor - can do anything - but his career seems more Stateside than anywhere else these days. He was Bodhi Rook in Star Wars Rogue One. He'd certainly give Tennant a run for his money with the big deep puppy dog eyes.

Ayoade was utterly brilliant in The IT Crowd... Kenman, if you've never seen it, check it out, it's great. You like your UK comedy so I think it might hit your funny bone right. It also stars HUMANS' Katherine Parkinson (who I think might also make a great female Doctor). I'm not sure what Ayoade's range is as I've only ever seen him in ditzy comedies, but on the evidence of that he's certainly got the otherworldly qualities be a good Doctor.

I can totally see Atwell as a female Doctor or female Time Lord. Okay, I'm biased, she's gorgeous, but there is something kind of weird about her too - that quality of being both warm and aloof at the same time which she pulled off in Agent Carter. But I've seen her in various UK TV dramas where she's created notably different characters of depth, so through the gauze of my male heat I can see that she happens to be an excellent actor all round. She has the range, and she's game for it. I think she'd own it in a heartbeat. If they do go for a female Doctor, they could do a hell of a lot worse. Good luck to her!

I don't know the others on that list either, but of the ones I know, I can't say I'd be disappointed to see any of them cast.

I know that Coleman was more protective of Tennantin the anectdote, but what while she is certainly more famous in the UK, I think that she has seen firsthand what the role can do to someone's private life, and it is on a different level, and something makes me suspect she would rather not have to deal with that extra level...I'm no actor but I know I wouldn't want that. 

I am certainly not questioning Atwell's acting skills, I just think that she just doesn't have a look that suits the Doctor.  Character just has to look kinda weird!

I oddly have spent the last couple of days watching the panel comedy show "Was It Something I Said" of which Ayoayde was a regular (I don't know how I stumbled ipon sucha weird thing and watched all 8 episodes, but I did) and I also began watching his show Travel Man...again just sort of bybhappenstance via YouTube clicking and discovering. Do think I will eventually watch the IT Crowd, my brother recommended it a few years ago, and I just haven't gotten to it, but I am certain I would enjoy. It is the other worldly aspect if him I think he could pull of the Doctor...not sure how much range he has, but he has a certain quality for sure. 

I know that Coleman was more protective of Tennantin the anectdote, but what while she is certainly more famous in the UK, I think that she has seen firsthand what the role can do to someone's private life, and it is on a different level, and something makes me suspect she would rather not have to deal with that extra level...I'm no actor but I know I wouldn't want that. 

I am certainly not questioning Atwell's acting skills, I just think that she just doesn't have a look that suits the Doctor.  Character just has to look kinda weird!

I oddly have spent the last couple of days watching the panel comedy show "Was It Something I Said" of which Ayoayde was a regular (I don't know how I stumbled ipon sucha weird thing and watched all 8 episodes, but I did) and I also began watching his show Travel Man...again just sort of bybhappenstance via YouTube clicking and discovering. Do think I will eventually watch the IT Crowd, my brother recommended it a few years ago, and I just haven't gotten to it, but I am certain I would enjoy. It is the other worldly aspect if him I think he could pull of the Doctor...not sure how much range he has, but he has a certain quality for sure. 

Count me on Team Hayley (if she's in the running).

Yes, she is gorgeous and I partly agree with Kenman that the Doctor's looks are usually 'unconventional' but that's not always the case; I remember Peter Davison caught a lot of flack in his day for being 'too handsome' (some of that shade may have come from my 15 year old self... * scurries and hides *) but he acquitted himself quite well.   One of the key elements of a good regeneration is surprise and having a new Doctor who is very good-looking (but also a wonderful talent) would indeed be a nice surprise.

And Atwell also has a bit of 'unconventional-ness' about her persona, if not her knockout looks.  She could 'act' more eccentric and "Doctor-ish' but I'm not insistent, mind you; however I wouldn't be against her being chosen, that's for certain. ;)

http://www.blastr.com/2017-2-15/oddsmakers-tilda-swinton-frontrunner-next-doctor-who

From someone who isn't in the "we need a female!" camp, interesting choice. She might be the kind of casting that could make me change my mind. 

No real indication as to what is actually in the running for Chibnall and the BBC, but I remember that Capaldi was a heavy favorite in the betting before he was officially named. 

http://www.blastr.com/2017-2-15/oddsmakers-tilda-swinton-frontrunner-next-doctor-who

From someone who isn't in the "we need a female!" camp, interesting choice. She might be the kind of casting that could make me change my mind. 

No real indication as to what is actually in the running for Chibnall and the BBC, but I remember that Capaldi was a heavy favorite in the betting before he was officially named. 

But would she do it, though?  She's enjoying a very healthy film career at the moment.

And yes, her casting would make me crazy-excited.   She'd be absolutely perfect in the role; and yes, that somewhat androgynous quality she brings to some of her roles might assuage some in the 'no-female-Doctor-ever' camp; she has an almost David Bowie-esque quality to her persona that I find intriguing.   

I don't place too much stock in oddsmaker rumors, but this would be an amazing coup if they could get her (of which I'm somewhat doubtful).

Oh I agree, I think her career makes it somewhat unlikely...but I find it an intriguing choice. Someone like her?  I am in. 

I got the re-animated Power of the Daleks from the library (holding out hoping the blu-ray release comes to North America before I purchase), and I really enjoyed it.  I had seen the story via a telesnap recon before (as I've seen all of the still missing stuff), but this did give it a fresh new life. It helps that the audio is far cleaner and clearer than the VHS ripped unrestored version I saw before. The animation is serviceable, not the worst that they've had in these re-animation of missing stories (for me that goes to "The Ice Warriors", which looked cheap and pretty bad), but definitely not the best (I really liked the animation done by Planet 55 for the "The Moonbase" & "The Tenth Planet" and oddly enough "The Reign of Terror" had the best looking animation style for me...even if it isn't really my favorite kind of story).  I wish that they had just set up a line of DVD's animating these lost episodes through Planet 55, because I think their style suited the 60s episodes quite well, and had some style and felt like they had life to them, which occasionally felt lacking in the Power of the Daleks.  It wasn't horrible animation, but it just lacked that depth I think the Planet 55 stuff had had.  Wish they could've figured out a way to just complete the line with them.  You'd think doing more with the same company would eventually bring costs down, as certain characters and elements would already be produced by the company (Doctors, Companions that return in several episodes, as well as the TARDIS elements both interior and exterior). 

Planet 55 had already done the Moonbase, so if they did something like "The Wheel in Space" it should in theory, keep costs somewhat down as they would've already had animated models of the Second Doctor, Jamie, that version of Cybermen, and the TARDIS elements all ready to go.  I'm not saying animating 4 episodes would then be easy, but it would probably be easier than starting from scratch with a new company.  Just a pipe dream to think they will all be animated. Just as I long for the DS9 blu-ray...

Speaking of the Doctor, I am at the Gallifrey One convention in Los Angeles right now, and it's been a blast.   We had to miss Friday because of flash flooding all over LA (yes, let me repeat that; flash flooding in LA... I know, right??) but we got here early Saturday and it's been a lot of fun.  Seen some familiar faces and friends, and I've met Lalla Ward (the Second Romana in classic "Doctor Who") and Deep Roy, who plays Keenser in the Bad Robot ST movies (as well as 'walking Yoda' in Empire Strikes Back, and the Oompa Loompas in "Charlie & the Chocolate Factory").  I've attended some very interesting panels, including an impassioned speculative panel on ST Discovery.  

I promise a lot more information, stories and pics very soon.   Allons-yyyyy! :thumbup:

Pictures and stories about Gallifrey One (the DW convention in L.A.) are up, but...

This year, I'm going to do things a bit differently; I'm going to just post my blog entry on Gallifrey One, because... well, I'm lazy. :P
But this blog entry includes all of my little stories and anecdotes, as well as links to all of my pics.  And at the very bottom of the post are links to all four of my Gallifrey One Flickr albums, including 2017.

Musings of a Middle Aged Geek/WordPress.com: A timey wimey weekend at L.A's Gallifrey One; a Doctor Who extravaganza

Enjoy!  Allons-y!  ;) 

Pictures and stories about Gallifrey One (the DW convention in L.A.) are up, but...

This year, I'm going to do things a bit differently; I'm going to just post my blog entry on Gallifrey One, because... well, I'm lazy. :P
But this blog entry includes all of my little stories and anecdotes, as well as links to all of my pics.  And at the very bottom of the post are links to all four of my Gallifrey One Flickr albums, including 2017.

Musings of a Middle Aged Geek/WordPress.com: A timey wimey weekend at L.A's Gallifrey One; a Doctor Who extravaganza

Enjoy!  Allons-y!  ;) 

Very nice! Thanks for posting the pics, the convention looks like a lot of fun! :thumbup:

(But btw... wasn't the 4th Doctor from 1974-81, instead of 1969-74? :cry:)

Amazing cosplayers too... I smiled about the "Cyberdata". :D As for the "Star Trek DSC" panel, I assume they didn't get any more specific about the start date of the show?

Enjoy!  Allons-y!  ;) 

Very nice! Thanks for posting the pics, the convention looks like a lot of fun! :thumbup:

Amazing cosplayers too... I smiled about the "Cyberdata". :D As for the "Star Trek DSC" panel, I assume they didn't get any more specific about the start date of the show?

DAMN!  Thanks... senior moment.  Sorry.   Gotta fix it.  Thanks for the feedback.  :thumbup:

Fixed.  All better now.

I think I was stuck on the 3rd Doctor, since I began reading the Titan 3rd Doctor comic books at the con, so when I was doing the dates for the 4th Doctor's era, I accidentally wrote the dates for Pertwee's Doctor instead.   Oops...:P

Enjoy!  Allons-y!  ;) 

DAMN!  Thanks... senior moment.  Sorry.   Gotta fix it.  Thanks for the feedback.  :thumbup:

Fixed.  All better now.

I think I was stuck on the 3rd Doctor, since I began reading the Titan 3rd Doctor comic books at the con, so when I was doing the dates for the 4th Doctor's era, I accidentally wrote the dates for Pertwee's Doctor instead.   Oops...:P

I just noticed, because I remembered Tom Baker was the "Helmut Schmidt Doctor", rather than the "Willy Brandt Doctor" ... you know, the eras of the first four Doctors coincide with the reigns of different German chancellors ... :giggle::laugh:

Edited by Sim

Enjoy!  Allons-y!  ;) 

Fixed.  All better now.

I just noticed, because I remembered Tom Baker was the "Helmut Schmidt Doctor", rather than the "Willy Brandt Doctor" ... you know, the eras of the first four Doctors coincide with the reigns of different German chancellors ... :giggle::laugh:

Yeah, watching here in the US, I would say Tom Baker was much more Jimmy Carter than Richard Nixon as well... :laugh:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/03/mondasian-cybermen-return.html

I dunno why this is bringing me such joy.  The original design of the Cybermen has never been my favorite, but there is something inherently creepy about those designs...and I just like the idea of something so low-tech and kinda cheesy being in big modern Who.  Something about puts a smile on my face.  But with one last hurrah for Capaldi, I hope he has the time of his life (he has said in an interview that he'd love to revisit these versions of the Cybermen, as well as Autons, Axons, and the Daemons.  Moffat at the time went on record saying he wouldn't bring back those 60s Cybermen because they looked so cheesy...but now here we are, either he lied (as he does from time to time to keep secrets), or he was turned around on the idea. 

I don't necessarily care if all those monsters return, I personally always want to see new stuff, but revisiting classics is always part of the fun of the show too.  I think maybe these creepy Cybermen could've been Moff's going away present to Capaldi.  Only a month to go until new Doctor Who!

6 minutes ago, kenman said:

I dunno why this is bringing me such joy.  The original design of the Cybermen has never been my favorite, but there is something inherently creepy about those designs...and I just like the idea of something so low-tech and kinda cheesy being in big modern Who.  Something about puts a smile on my face.  But with one last hurrah for Capaldi, I hope he has the time of his life (he has said in an interview that he'd love to revisit these versions of the Cybermen, as well as Autons, Axons, and the Daemons.  Moffat at the time went on record saying he wouldn't bring back those 60s Cybermen because they looked so cheesy...but now here we are, either he lied (as he does from time to time to keep secrets), or he was turned around on the idea. 

I don't necessarily care if all those monsters return, I personally always want to see new stuff, but revisiting classics is always part of the fun of the show too.  I think maybe these creepy Cybermen could've been Moff's going away present to Capaldi.  Only a month to go until new Doctor Who!

Moffat has a habit of doing these big scenes that are basically teasers to the main story and I'm wondering if that's what this is...? Here's every version of the Cybermen ever, all together, in one big CELEBRATION OF THE CYBERMEN scene. Now onto the main show. 

But yeah, I'm not complainin'. 

13 minutes ago, kenman said:

^
I read this earlier, but I didn't see the actual look of them till a friend sent me another article with a photo, and yeah, it actually WORKS.

***** VISUAL SPOILER!!  DON'T LOOK... COVER YOUR EYES!  RUN! HIDE! :P :giggle: ******

JS122665213-doctor-who-large_trans_NvBQz

^

The Mondasian Cybermen have a nice, retro-clunky look that kind of reminds me of seeing the TOS bridge in TNG's "Relics"; only creepier/scarier... :laugh:

2 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Moffat has a habit of doing these big scenes that are basically teasers to the main story and I'm wondering if that's what this is...? Here's every version of the Cybermen ever, all together, in one big CELEBRATION OF THE CYBERMEN scene. Now onto the main show. 

But yeah, I'm not complainin'. 

If that is all it is? Cool! If it is a full blown adventure vs those original unsettling (though cheap) versions? Cool!

But we know this season does have some new creations, a new companion, andthe return of Missy and the Cybermen, probanly a Dalek thrown as per usual...I am ready.

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^
I read this earlier, but I didn't see the actual look of them till a friend sent me another article with a photo, and yeah, it actually WORKS.

***** VISUAL SPOILER!!  DON'T LOOK... COVER YOUR EYES!  RUN! HIDE! :P :giggle: ******

JS122665213-doctor-who-large_trans_NvBQz

^

The Mondasian Cybermen have a nice, retro-clunky look that kind of reminds me of seeing the TOS bridge in TNG's "Relics"; only creepier/scarier... :laugh:

Wow, I love this retro design!

Can't wait for the new season! :thumbup:

For the last 10 or so years I've been wondering how they could bring back these Cybermen and not have them look like they were some costume your parents threw together, now I know. Kinda sad they don't have the bigger headlight on their heads, but oh well. Will be interesting to see how they are involved and all (my early guess would be someone found them after the 86 invasion and just kept them around til they could figure how to bring them back to life).

9 hours ago, kenman said:

If that is all it is? Cool! If it is a full blown adventure vs those original unsettling (though cheap) versions? Cool!

But we know this season does have some new creations, a new companion, andthe return of Missy and the Cybermen, probanly a Dalek thrown as per usual...I am ready.

There's also the new Ice Warrior as mentioned by Mark Gatiss. Sounds a bit "greatest hits!" But I think Mr Moffat has had a high hit rate with making the Cybermen creepy again. That Pandorica scene where Amy Pond is attacked by one and its nano-tentacles wrap around her is fantastic. And all the Death in Heaven stuff was very eerie. Well, until they all became Iron Man, but strangely, I find I can live with that too. CyberBrig might've been a step too far towards the ridiculous, but hey, it's Doctor Who. As someone who doesn't care that much about the knotty continuity of their history (are they from Mondas? Telos? Cybus?), I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with the Cybermen next. I suspect the appearance of the 10th Planet ones are very much a goodbye present to Capaldi, who is on record as asking for them. So this is the two of them indulging their inner fanboys - and hey, why not? :) 

6 hours ago, John32070 said:

For the last 10 or so years I've been wondering how they could bring back these Cybermen and not have them look like they were some costume your parents threw together, now I know. Kinda sad they don't have the bigger headlight on their heads, but oh well. Will be interesting to see how they are involved and all (my early guess would be someone found them after the 86 invasion and just kept them around til they could figure how to bring them back to life).

There are some minor stylistic differences, eh? Probably due to modern materials being used, more lightweight construction, etc. I note also they have rubber gloves instead of the naked human hands the originals had. Which might be something to do with the fact that they're now appearing in color. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0