Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Robin Bland

Doctor Who - General Discussion

314 posts in this topic

Cool thread. It'll be interesting to see who they cast as the next companion. I'm just a bit upset that there apparently won't be any Doctor Who this year...

Yea I was initially a tad bummed about who taking a year off, but it does seem like a decision that is good both creatively (givimg Moffat a bit more time to craft his final year as well as giving Chibnall time to finish up his last    year of Broadchurch and prep his Doctor Who), and probably good for ratings, as now it wont have to be squeezed in between big events. 

Interesting about the possible bew companion. If anything, I am happy it's somebody who isn't just a white girl. It's like we got Martha and then back to the status quo line up of white ladies! 

I couldn't find the series 9 discussion, and in the absence of a general Doctor Who thread and a year-long sabbatical for the show on TV, thought it worth creating one for, well, stuff and general info and rumors.

To whit - here's an interesting one:

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Doctor-Who-Might-Have-Found-Its-Companion-122287.html

Intriguing and out-of-the-box choice; I like it!    Now if they can only do the same with the Doctor himself (or herself) one day... ;)

Well, I guess it is only a rumor at this point. But CinemaBlend have a pretty good record with things like that, so we'll see.

I don't know this actress' work, but I do hope that whoever they land on isn't the standard young white female. It just feels a bit dull to see the same thing over and over.

I don't know this actress' work, but I do hope that whoever they land on isn't the standard young white female. It just feels a bit dull to see the same thing over and over.

I agree. In the comics at the moment, the eleventh Doctor's companion is a black woman of Nigerian descent and the tenth Doctor travels with a Mexican-American whose best friend (heavily featured) is a Chinese-American. Another recurring character is a sort of female African-American counterpart to Captain Jack (with fewer scruples). The twelfth Doctor's adventures have to reflect the current show more, so he's with Clara, which didn't stop them setting a story in the (future) United States of India. They tend to do a better job with diversity than the TV show itself. Which isn't to say the TV show isn't mindful of it, but it feels as if the Moffat era is slightly less on that than RTD was. I'd kind of like to see the Doctor travel with a young male and female again, which was a dynamic that worked well at points in the classic show. 

I agree. In the comics at the moment, the eleventh Doctor's companion is a black woman of Nigerian descent and the tenth Doctor travels with a Mexican-American whose best friend (heavily featured) is a Chinese-American. Another recurring character is a sort of female African-American counterpart to Captain Jack (with fewer scruples). The twelfth Doctor's adventures have to reflect the current show more, so he's with Clara, which didn't stop them setting a story in the (future) United States of India. They tend to do a better job with diversity than the TV show itself. Which isn't to say the TV show isn't mindful of it, but it feels as if the Moffat era is slightly less on that than RTD was. I'd kind of like to see the Doctor travel with a young male and female again, which was a dynamic that worked well at points in the classic show. 

I agree that the RTD era was much more on point about diverse casting.   We seem to have lost a bit of that real-life reflectiveness in the Moffat era.  Maybe the new show runner will do something about that?   Hope so... 

I agree that the RTD era was much more on point about diverse casting.   We seem to have lost a bit of that real-life reflectiveness in the Moffat era.  Maybe the new show runner will do something about that?   Hope so... 

I hope Chibnall is mindful of it. I think part of it is that RTD is gay, so he felt like a minority and made sure to be reresentative of all minorities on his own. Moffat's era didn't necessarily remove minorities, but they just seemed more in the background...guest spots rather than regular or even recurring. He's a white male who doesn't really belong to any minority group, so I think it doesn't occur to him as much to be mindful of it. It is more of a little ignorance and somewhat of a cultural thinng...I don't think he meant for it to turn out this way, but it just kind of did. 

That said I seem to recall Neil Gaiman or someone in an interview making an offhand remark about how a black actor was almost given the role of the Doctor by Moffat but they turned it down. I think Gaiman didn't reveal the actor but it was Moffat who would've given the offer, as it was the role that eventually went to Matt Smith. So at least we can say he tried...(at least according to rumors)

That said I seem to recall Neil Gaiman or someone in an interview making an offhand remark about how a black actor was almost given the role of the Doctor by Moffat but they turned it down. I think Gaiman didn't reveal the actor but it was Moffat who would've given the offer, as it was the role that eventually went to Matt Smith. So at least we can say he tried...(at least according to rumors)

Right, and I'm not so militant a civil libertarian that I'd insist the next Doctor has to be this, that or the other, but as a fan?  It would be nice, and helpful to the show's creativity, to shake things up next time round.   Maybe even a gender swap?  We know from Missy and another example that is now an option.  Diversity is not only more accurately reflective of the audience, but it's also good for the show's vitality; keeps things fresh and interesting. 

Besides, at this rate they're going to run out of skinny caucasian actors... :laugh: 

Well while Doctor Who is taking the year off, we do have this spin-off called "Class" coming, and apparently we can expect the 12th Doctor to show up in it at some point:

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/138389/20160303/peter-capaldi-will-pop-up-on-doctor-who-spin-off-series-class.htm

So we can get at least a small dose of Capaldi this year...and that is something I guess.

Well while Doctor Who is taking the year off, we do have this spin-off called "Class" coming, and apparently we can expect the 12th Doctor to show up in it at some point:

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/138389/20160303/peter-capaldi-will-pop-up-on-doctor-who-spin-off-series-class.htm

So we can get at least a small dose of Capaldi this year...and that is something I guess.

Yeah. Of course, it may not be as widely distributed internationally as DW. My local broadcaster's been very good about broadcasting DW, usually a week following the first UK broadcast, but they haven't shown Torchwood or The Sarah Jane Chronicles.

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/03/peter-capaldi-080316093008.html

Peter Capaldi discussing whether or not he will stay on past the next year. He says he has yet to make a decision but that he has been asked to stick around by Chibnall.  Here is hoping he does stick around for at least a fourth year. I feel like we've only scratched the surface of the 12th Doctor, I want to explore him a little more before he takes off. 

Peter Capaldi discussing whether or not he will stay on past the next year. He says he has yet to make a decision but that he has been asked to stick around by Chibnall.  Here is hoping he does stick around for at least a fourth year. I feel like we've only scratched the surface of the 12th Doctor, I want to explore him a little more before he takes off. 

And with last year, he definitely made the role his own. 

That's the thing, the first two years he had existential crises and was trying to find himself (the first year was whether or not he was a good man, the second year he was acting a little more aloof and a in his punk rock mood) but they set up the end of that second year with him putting on his more classy Doctor-ish coat and getting his new Sonic Screwdriver. It was him getting back to being just The Doctor.  And I wanna see that guy traveling the universe a little more. We've had him being unsure of who he is...I want to see that man with a clear vision of who he is and wants to be having Doctor Who adventures now. 

That's the thing, the first two years he had existential crises and was trying to find himself (the first year was whether or not he was a good man, the second year he was acting a little more aloof and a in his punk rock mood) but they set up the end of that second year with him putting on his more classy Doctor-ish coat and getting his new Sonic Screwdriver. It was him getting back to being just The Doctor.  And I wanna see that guy traveling the universe a little more. We've had him being unsure of who he is...I want to see that man with a clear vision of who he is and wants to be having Doctor Who adventures now. 

I agree completely. I really like Capaldi - with Tennant, he's my fave Doctor since the show came back in 2005. I hope he sticks around for Chibnall's first season. I'm not wildly enthusiastic about Chibbers' writing record on Who so far, but an actor as fine as Capaldi in the role would really help with any great stylistic changes.

I don't mind the standard hot white female because I like those.

However, I also feel that the idea of more than one companion works well.  Amy Pond was awesome, but I liked Rory too.  Rose is probably still my favorite, but I enjoyed when Mickey and Captain Jack were there too.

There definitely should be a female companion at all times.  But I like more than one. 

I also would like to see Capaldi stick around.  I always feel that these actors leave the role too soon. 

I thought the first year with Capaldi was kinda meh. But the second year was excellent. I'd like to see him around a couple of more years. I think the show is better off with a well established companion when there is a new Doctor and vice versa. I also like the idea of not having another young white woman side kick. What about a side kick that's a little older.  Rose was 19 when she started. I always thought it was creepy to have a 1000 year old man hooking up with a 19 year old woman. It wouldn't feel quite that way if the woman was in her thirties. 

I thought the first year with Capaldi was kinda meh. But the second year was excellent. I'd like to see him around a couple of more years. I think the show is better off with a well established companion when there is a new Doctor and vice versa. I also like the idea of not having another young white woman side kick. What about a side kick that's a little older.  Rose was 19 when she started. I always thought it was creepy to have a 1000 year old man hooking up with a 19 year old woman. It wouldn't feel quite that way if the woman was in her thirties. 

When it is played as platonic, I don't mind it. When romance is implied...yeah. Weird.  As to an older companion...Donna. Donna was great. My favorite year of Tennant's may be the fourth purely because the rapport of Tennant and Tate was great. Oh jeez when does that Big Finish boxset with them come out? May...gotta wait til May? This gap year wont be so bad...new War Doctor, Eighth Doctor, AND Tenth and Donna boxsets? Woo!

I don't actually know that many 1000-year old men, so I don't know whether it's creepy or not, but you're as young as you feel, I guess. :P

It's nice to think that, as we age, we don't lose touch with our emotions and the younger generation... 

I don't actually know that many 1000-year old men, so I don't know whether it's creepy or not, but you're as young as you feel, I guess. :P

It's nice to think that, as we age, we don't lose touch with our emotions and the younger generation... 

I think chronological age (and relationship age gaps) are pretty much meaningless for Time Lords.   As we saw in "School Reunion" and with River Song, sometimes the Doctor looks younger while his companions/former companions appear 'older.'   So, the whole May/December thing really is meaningless.  

I personally prefer platonic relationships with the Doctor because I loved the older series, and that formula worked very well; and because if every new companion becomes a 'relationship' it risks making the Doctor look terribly fickle and a bit of a man-whore.   I don't think that's who he is, really.   Despite his seeming (and practiced) cavalier attitude, the Doctor is a being of great depth and great feeling.   If and when he truly DOES fall in love, it'd have to mean an awful lot for him personally; and being (now) 2,000 years old he would understand the consequences of entering into a serious relationship with a being that, to him, is only a little more long-lived than a mayfly. 

But his emotional commitment to his companions (romantic and/or platonic) is as strong as deep as ever; if anything, I'd say his emotions seem to become more intense as he ages, not the reverse. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I never liked Donna.  I found her annoying.  Have to laugh a little about a 1000 year old man being too old for someone 19, but not for someone in their 30s.

I agree that the relationship should be platonic, even if they go with the attractive white girl again.

I really don't think it is gonna be another white girl. The show would be in danger of seeming very old fashioned and dated if it didn't show a little more representation of the audience. 

And Donna was the best. I really enjoyed Rose when I first wstchef the show, but she has possibly become my least favorite of the NewWho companions. A little too needy, whereas others had a little more independence. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I never liked Donna.  I found her annoying.  Have to laugh a little about a 1000 year old man being too old for someone 19, but not for someone in their 30s.

One of the reasons I love River Song so much; it's nice to see a middle-aged woman who is still insanely attractive and sexual.  

As for Donna?  I didn't like her for about half of her run, but she grew on me.  By the end of her season, I'd come to love the Lucy/Linus style relationship she and the Doctor had; it was like a bossy older sister and her nerdy kid brother.   Their age difference (a couple years?) was utterly irrelevant.   Again; Time Lords are whatever age they regenerate into.   If they wake up looking 25 or 60, it really doesn't matter. 

I really don't think it is gonna be another white girl. The show would be in danger of seeming very old fashioned and dated if it didn't show a little more representation of the audience. 

And Donna was the best. I really enjoyed Rose when I first wstchef the show, but she has possibly become my least favorite of the NewWho companions. A little too needy, whereas others had a little more independence. 

Donna took me a while to warm up to, but yeah; by "Turn Left" I loved her.  Plain and simple.

And I don't see another white girl either.   I would hate to see the Doctor having 'types.'   He's a fan of all of humanity, not just pretty white women (that almost makes him sound like a serial killer, doesn't it? :ohmy:).

I agree that the relationship should be platonic, even if they go with the attractive white girl again.

The show has had very attractive darker women as well; I'd say Freema Agyeman was (easily) the most beautiful woman to ever appear on the show.   If anything, I was worried that she was just a pretty face (too 'model-perfect') and didn't have the acting chops of her predecessors or successors.   Sadly, her character was written into a corner by having her play the 'rebound girl' who was pining for the Doctor while he was still goo-goo eyed over Rose... 

500full.png

One of the reasons I prefer platonic relationships for the Doctor (with the occasional snog being OK).   I have a lot of women friends too; some have been friends of mine for decades now (my wonderful wife isn't the jealous type; neither am I), and I think it's kind of cool that the Doctor can be in a spaceship with a lovely woman and not constantly undress her with his eyes.   Otherwise the Doctor and his Tardis would be only a little better than Jame Gumb and his windowless van in "Silence of the Lambs." 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0