Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Captain_Bravo

Was All of Enterprise Riker's Holodeck Simulation?

9 posts in this topic

I prefer to think that "These Are The Voyages..." was Crewman Daniels' holodeck program in the 29th century (a bad one, I might add), and ENT was an alternate timeline that began with the deviations in the movie "First Contact" (Cochrane's original Phoenix flight crew dead, for example; that had to change something).   

But for me?  TATV isn't canon, not the whole of ENT.

I prefer to think that "These Are The Voyages..." was Crewman Daniels' holodeck program in the 29th century (a bad one, I might add), and ENT was an alternate timeline that began with the deviations in the movie "First Contact" (Cochrane's original Phoenix flight crew dead, for example; that had to change something).   

But for me?  TATV isn't canon, not the whole of ENT.

Same. TATV isn't even connected to the TNG ep that it's spun from in any logical way.

That's the only holo-delusion going on.

TATV would've been a somewhat tolerable episode if it weren't trying to be the proper finale to Enterprise.  It just felt tacked on, lame, and silly.  Enterprise on the whole I kind wobble on whether or not I actually wanna keep it canon.  It did so many things wrong for me personally, until the last ditch effort of the fourth season. 

Then again, maybe we're dealing an alternate alternate reality:

1) The Borg screw up the original timeline by going back to 2063, which creates an alternate future where the Borg have conquered and assimilated Earth.  The Enterprise-E goes back, blows up the sphere, which crash-lands in the Arctic and remains buried for a century.  The warp flight happens as scheduled, but with Riker and LaForge as the co-pilots.  This creates a restored timeline but with a few differences since Cochrane knows about the statue and his place in history.  Picard and Data stop the Borg Queen and the ship is saved.  This is what happened in FC - some changes, but overall the timeline is still intact.

2) But, the climactic scene is on the Enterprise-E when Picard sets the auto-destruct.  If Data just let the auto-destruct ride, the ship would have blown up and the warp flight could have gone as scheduled.  Riker, LaForge, Troi, etc would have survived.  Since it takes a long time for humans to age in the 24th century (think of Picard - he's like 80 years old and still kicking ass and taking names), why couldn't Riker (who would have been around 38 years old in FC) live "in a quiet corner of North America," go to cooking school, and become the chef on Enterprise?  He'd only be 126 years old.  Then, in the 24th century, Cmdr. Riker on the Enterprise-D looks into the history of the NX-class Enterprise, finds himself, and realizes that he has to be on that ship...

But then, maybe I'm just crazy... :P

TATV is not ENT... Thank goodness!

I go with the explanation they give in the ENT relaunch (post-TATV) novels: Trip didn't really die, that's just the official version, and Riker's holodeck program was based on that false official version.

These novels are part of my head canon, so there it is.

I go with the explanation they give in the ENT relaunch (post-TATV) novels: Trip didn't really die, that's just the official version, and Riker's holodeck program was based on that false official version.

These novels are part of my head canon, so there it is.

Yeah, they're mine too.

They have a great explanation as to why humans and Romulans never 'saw' each other face-to-face either (despite the advent of ship-to-ship visual communications, as we saw in the ENT series).  I also like how the 'retrograde technology' used to prevent Starfleet ships from being hacked (ala Battlestar Galactica) is one of the reasons Kirk's vessel a century later looks more 'primitive' than Archer's. 

Some of the things in ENT's alternate history (if indeed that's what it is) have to have occurred in the original version. For example, the augment virus infecting the Klingons is what lead to them looking the way they did in TOS.