Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

The Third Season in Pictures

Discovering STAR TREK: Just How Bad is “Spock’s Brain?”

I disagree with journalist Chris Zhang - SPOCK'S BRAIN is not a bad episode, its just average but great campy fun. Not bad as THE CHIELDREN SHALL LEAD, PLATOS'S STEPCHILDREN, WAY TO EDEN or even the final episode THE TURNABOUT INTRUDER. Give SPOCK'S BRAIN a chance, guys !

“Brain and brain, what is brain?!?"

Sorry, but dialogue like that makes the ears bleed... :laugh:

It's funny. But then also not funny at the same time. What worries me the most is that there are even WORSE episodes than this one tho. :P

11 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

It's funny. But then also not funny at the same time. What worries me the most is that there are even WORSE episodes than this one tho. :P

As cruel as it is for me to say, I know a group of kids that should have been left where they were found.

Or that episode should have been burned before airing.

13 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

As cruel as it is for me to say, I know a group of kids that should have been left where they were found.

Or that episode should have been burned before airing.

Yeah, I would rank “And the Children Shall Lead” as much worse.    And S2’s “Omega Glory”; I tried to rewatch that one lately, and I physically could NOT make it to Kirk reading the Declaration of Independence...

3 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Yeah, I would rank “And the Children Shall Lead” as much worse.    And S2’s “Omega Glory”; I tried to rewatch that one lately, and I physically could NOT make it to Kirk reading the Declaration of Independence...

They should have just expanded and fleshed out nutty Captain Tracy and the Fountain of Youth.

There's an episode there easy. Good Lord though, E Pleb Neesta? Their Constitutional system is going to be about as coherent as a Fizzbin tournament.

9 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

They should have just expanded and fleshed out nutty Captain Tracy and the Fountain of Youth.

There's an episode there easy. Good Lord though, E Pleb Neesta? Their Constitutional system is going to be about as coherent as a Fizzbin tournament.

This is why I have to scratch my head with some of the TOS purists; they tend to ignore those TOS’ episodes that really stink up the joint.   Yes, the show was groundbreaking and led to a 51 year (and counting) franchise, but it was far from perfect.   

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

This is why I have to scratch my head with some of the TOS purists; they tend to ignore those TOS’ episodes that really stink up the joint.   Yes, the show was groundbreaking and led to a 51 year (and counting) franchise, but it was far from perfect.   

Indeed, as it is I know is that if that had been the second pilot, it never would have been picked up.

Sim   

I even love the totally terrible TOS episodes... "Spock's Brain" and "That Which Survives" are so bad, they're even good. Years back, a couple of friends and I would watch these episodes when drunk... fun guaranteed! :laugh:

Even "And the Children..." has that cute scene of Kirk grabbing Spock's arms in the turbolift ( it was in this episode, wasn't it?) -- the K/S-happy friend of my wife started squeeking! That alone made the episode worthwhile. :giggle:

And "Way to Eden"? IMO not quite the same league of bad... I love Spock sympathizing with the hippies (great idea!), and the backstory for Checkov, regardless how cliché it is. Also, space hippies were perhaps a much better idea back in 1968, than they appear in retrospect -- and today, you can watch this episode as a document of contemporary history. So... the episode is far from good, but a bit underrated, IMO.

S3 of TOS has its share of clunkers, and its share of classics (“Day of the Dove” "The Empath" “Tholian Web” “All Our Yesterdays”).   The good/bad ratio of S3 leans slightly heavier towards the clunkers, but it’s not the dramatic drop in quality that everyone imagines it is (at least IMO).  

Yes, S3 has two of the most infamous episodes (“Spock’s Brain” “And the Children...”) but it’s been a whipping boy for the franchise for far too long IMO.

S1 has “Alternative Factor” (horrible episode), as well as “Mudd’s Women” (sorry, but I still despise this badly-dated piece of misogynistic crap).

S2 has the aforementioned “Omega Glory” (laughably bad episode; cowritten by no less than Roddenberry himself), as well as “The Apple” (Gilligan’s Island in space) and “The Gamesters of Triskelion” (basically every bad ST cliche in one episode; right down to the green-haired Amazon woman in a tinfoil bikini who must learn of “love”... ugh!).

Sim   
4 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

S3 of TOS has its share of clunkers, and its share of classics (“Day of the Dove” "The Empath" “Tholian Web” “All Our Yesterdays”).   The good/bad ratio of S3 leans slightly heavier towards the clunkers, but it’s not the dramatic drop in quality that everyone imagines it is (at least IMO).  

Yes, S3 has two of the most infamous episodes (“Spock’s Brain” “And the Children...”) but it’s been a whipping boy for the franchise for far too long IMO.

S1 has “Alternative Factor” (horrible episode), as well as “Mudd’s Women” (sorry, but I still despise this badly-dated piece of misogynistic crap).

S2 has the aforementioned “Omega Glory” (laughably bad episode; cowritten by no less than Roddenberry himself), as well as “The Apple” (Gilligan’s Island in space) and “The Gamesters of Triskelion” (basically every bad ST cliche in one episode; right down to the green-haired Amazon woman in a tinfoil bikini who must learn of “love”... ugh!).

I agree about season 3... it still has quite a lot of gems.

And I guess my least favorite episode goes to "Alternative Factor" from season 1, rather than to a season 3 episode: This episode is just an incoherent mess that doesn't make much sense (to me at least) ... while the bad season 3 episodes at least are *spectacularly* bad, so they are at least remarkable and memorable.

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I think S3 gets the rep it does because the bad episodes aren't just bad, they are REALLY bad. "The Apple" is bad...but it's not "And the Children..." bad. "The Omega Glory" has half of a story in there, so I don't call it "Way to Eden" bad, with the latter only having seeds of a decent story in there when it comes to Spock's remarks that some people have rebelled against the sterile, managed environments the future has created, but how they try to push that point is laughably bad.

And, while this isn't a slam against Koenig at all, I really don't care about Chekov's back story and never much did.

Finally, while this is Sim's, I would call "That Which Survives" average. It's not that bad. I'd rather watch it than "Alternative Factor," which is barely comprehensible and did nothing to impress upon me the scope or tension inherent in its premise. Or "Mudd's Women" and that's not even talking about the sexism inherent in ogling these women who are being transported like chattel by a smarmy pig.

Excuse me now. I'm going to take a gelatin pill and wish really hard until I look like Zac Efron.