Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

STAR TREK V - Rare Photos

36 posts in this topic

I was bored this Saturday, so I scanned those rare photos from the production of STAR TREK V (a  movie I really like, as everybody knows) from the Lisabeth Shatner book CAPTAINS LOG THE MAKING OF STAR TREK V AS TOLD BY WILLIAM SHATNER. Hope you guys will enjoy the pics.

12045724_1102883796396414_16245501369904

The cast (including Laurence Luckinbill) studies the STAR TREK V script at Bill Shatner house

12187845_1112322332119227_64142598619101

Bran Ferren shows director Bill Shatner the studio model of the USS Enterprise at Ferren & Associates

12190871_1112321535452640_14717954583924

Bill Shatner and cinematographer Andrew Laszlo during the last day of shooting at Paramount

10496165_1102886703062790_35589418483308

Laurence Luckinbill as Sybok, prepares to film the 'God Altar" sequence at Paramount

12109038_1102884786396315_30509334005568

Bill Shatner training his mountain climbing skills at the Paramount lot

12141090_1102884116396382_21438514645832

All Hail STAR TREK V !

Gus

I had this book; but somewhere in my many relocations since 1989 it got lost... :(

Same here. It's buried somewhere around here.

Spectacular and very candid book on the making of THE FINAL FRONTIER. Highly recommended.

G

And here a few more behind the scenes from the CAPTAINS LOG THE MAKING OF STAR TREK V book

12185500_1104735269544600_70718327256757

12033220_1104736752877785_37610982019674

11046212_1104737452877715_59800881472133

10294375_1102885323062928_26336749902442

Gus

More STAR TREK V production pics from Lisabeth Shatner's CAPTAINS LOG book, enjoy !

12219442_1112320308786096_25360910378534

Herman Zimmerman and Nilo Rodis on the God Altar set at Paramount

12188906_1112320652119395_18778388667728

Bill Shatner directs Todd Bryant and Spice Williams as Klaa and Vixis

12140640_1102884379729689_82910848075445

Producers Ralph Winter and Harve Bennett during the Yosemite shot for the opening of the movie

12063371_1104736152877845_62932520849250

Filming Bennett cameo as an Admiral

Gus

Gotta love Ralph Winter's oh-so-'80s mullet... :thumbup:

I was working out watching this movie the past few days (in pieces). Ugh - it's a shame too, it had a good music score (which was about the only thing it did have). What's interesting is that some of the actors who were in this particular movie (original crew notwithstanding) went on to be rather good Star Trek-related installments. Charles Cooper who was General Koord went on to be another Klingon in two good TNG episodes - 3rd season's "Sins of the Father" and 4th season's "Reunion." George Murdock, who was "God" or "Evil Santa" went on to be Admiral J.P. Hanson in the acclaimed two-parter "Best of Both Worlds." Todd Bryant who was Captain Klaa had a smaller role in "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country" as a Klingon translator during the show trial of Kirk and McCoy. The most notable of course is David Warner who went on to be Chancellor Gorkon in Star Trek VI, not to mention Gul Madred in the TNG 6th season two-parter "Chain of Command."

I love STAR TREK V. I even produced with the guys who did the FX for OF GODS AND MEN a fan edition with completely new FX. It was fun.

Some mutual friends showed some scenes and pieces of the fan edit to Shatner and he liked what he saw,

Gus

I've heard of several fan edits to TFF that do their best to clean up the "mess," though I can only imagine that one can go so far. It was actually the first Trek movie I ever saw in theaters (I was eight at the time and giddy about it), though it did take a few years for me to realize just how much it stank (no offense GustavoLeao).

That being said, the service corridors on the Enterprise-A in this movie were more believable to me as ship bowels as opposed to a certain brewery, so that might be a bright spot. Not to mention of course Jerry Goldsmith's musical score.

Not taken.

I love THE FINAL FRRONTIER. Its about themes that I really like in STAR TREK : friendship, duty, pain, rendemptiom amd so forth.

Gus

It was the second Trek I saw in Theatres and I remember the TV ads for the film were great - I was so excited for the film... I was 11, and the film was a let down at the time, however the first 2/3's were a great theatre experience as a kid - I really disappointed with the end at the time.  Over time the end of the film has grown on me, and it's a trek film that I really enjoy.  The cast all worked so well on screen  - they're report was great.

It was the second Trek I saw in Theatres and I remember the TV ads for the film were great - I was so excited for the film... I was 11, and the film was a let down at the time, however the first 2/3's were a great theatre experience as a kid - I really disappointed with the end at the time.  Over time the end of the film has grown on me, and it's a trek film that I really enjoy.  The cast all worked so well on screen  - they're report was great.

I saw it with a group of friends (though I was about 11 years older than you were... carbon dating myself here), and we were all ST fans.   No one group of people wanted to love this movie more than we did; but sadly, the movie really let us down.  Though over dinner afterward, we all had a nice time dissecting what had gone wrong with it. :laugh:

It was my first big summer for movies, I had never gone much before then in my life, and I got to see Batman, Indiana Jones, and Star Trek V all within a fairly short time, and they were the first films I saw with friends with no parental supervision - a great summer for sure, however I remember my heart sinking when they said they were going to meet God on Sha Ka Ree.... my friends weren't big Trek fans, and VI was a hard sell in 91.

It was my first big summer for movies, I had never gone much before then in my life, and I got to see Batman, Indiana Jones, and Star Trek V all within a fairly short time, and they were the first films I saw with friends with no parental supervision - a great summer for sure, however I remember my heart sinking when they said they were going to meet God on Sha Ka Ree.... my friends weren't big Trek fans, and VI was a hard sell in 91.

One thing I was really put off of by Trek V was the re-use of TNG sets - though of course now I realize that those were the TMP sets that were re-dressed for TNG! Odd eh? Well anyways, they should have disguised the transporter room a bit better - at least change the back paneling perhaps to that "honeycomb" like pattern that was present in what we saw in Treks I - III, not to mention the corridors with the TNG signage on them (thank goodness Meyer did a better job of "disguising" the corridors in Trek VI).

One thing I was really put off of by Trek V was the re-use of TNG sets - though of course now I realize that those were the TMP sets that were re-dressed for TNG! Odd eh? Well anyways, they should have disguised the transporter room a bit better - at least change the back paneling perhaps to that "honeycomb" like pattern that was present in what we saw in Treks I - III, not to mention the corridors with the TNG signage on them (thank goodness Meyer did a better job of "disguising" the corridors in Trek VI).

I mean TUC still has sets that are obviously from TNG...but at least they changed the decals and labeling on the doors and hallways to match the look of the previous movies as opposed to FF...in which they didn't even bother with that little bit of redressing. 

I mean TUC still has sets that are obviously from TNG...but at least they changed the decals and labeling on the doors and hallways to match the look of the previous movies as opposed to FF...in which they didn't even bother with that little bit of redressing. 

I know - the corridors and labeling seen in Trek V is quite a sore thumb, although you don't see them very much. Though they DID change that black reflective "access panel" part in V with a more gray bulkhead so the set was disguised a bit, but the signage just didn't work.

I have a hard time believing the Enterprise-A and the Enterprise-D have the exact same warp core! Makes you wonder if Scotty should have criticized Geordi La Forge about it in the 6th season episode "Relics."

According to an old 1991 issue of CFQ magazine, Meyer even changed the width of the TNG corridors and added overhead pipes to make it more claustrophobic.   It's subtle, but distinctive; like changing the bridge color palette between the Enterprise and the Excelsior (more reds on Ent, more blues on Excelsior).  

Shatner (on STV) was a novice film director, so obviously little details like that (and saving money for the big climactic ending) didn't seem to occur to him during production. 

They should never have let him direct in the first place. (Again no offense, Gus.) The film did win the Worst Picture razzie, as Shatner himself got two of 'em for Worst Director and Worst Actor (DeForrest Kelley was nominated for Worst Supporting Actor).

They should never have let him direct in the first place. (Again no offense, Gus.) The film did win the Worst Picture razzie, as Shatner himself got two of 'em for Worst Director and Worst Actor (DeForrest Kelley was nominated for Worst Supporting Actor).

Yeah, I don't think that was fair (or right) about DeForest Kelley; he actually gives a terrific performance in STV.   I'd go so far as to say it's his movie series' best. 

Yeah, I don't think that was fair (or right) about DeForest Kelley; he actually gives a terrific performance in STV.   I'd go so far as to say it's his movie series' best. 

I have to agree...I don't like the movie, but Kelley is pretty solid in it. The Razzies are the most smug superior thing imaginable (we know whats good, and whats bad, and we are ABOVE you!).

Well, I cant stop from loving this little movie. STAR TREK V will always be among my favorites, and I know, this is hardly "logical".

12088166_1094938357190958_37960289988382

11990647_1075261649158629_62030710080977

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

If his answer isn't "because I directed it" then I doubt I will give it much credence...

If his answer isn't "because I directed it" then I doubt I will give it much credence...

The correct answer is:

"It was a terminally flawed story I never should have even tried to shoot, even if I could've gotten the rock men I wanted."

It stuns me how much emphasis he places on that ending sequence, even all these years later...as though THAT was the film's biggest problem.

Edited by prometheus59650

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0