Sign in to follow this  
kenman

CBS All Access

19 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I’ll admit; there really isn’t enough fresh content (for the moment) to make it worthwhile, but I’m keeping my CBS AA open for the time being for three reasons: 

*  I’m lazy (prime reason)

*  I like rewatching some of the DSC episodes now and then. 

*  It’s coming back in a month or so, and I want to see the S1.5 preview/bonus-y stuff (if any??).

Oh, I didn't bother killing it during this break, though I know people that did. I didn't think there was any point since my billing cycle is such that I'm only paying for one completely DSC free month.

Absolutely too lazy to bother in that case. :)

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^

I'd bet on this. 

This happened in the '90s when TNG caught fire; suddenly there was a wave of ST to sell to independent stations.  I really think CBS AA would be wise to read boards like these and do a post-24th century series; it would also solve many of DSC's current issues with tripping over ST continuity.

Let's hope so. I'd love a post-Nemesis 24th century show that's not beset by any major, distracting continuity issues.

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

I know I'm out as soon as season 1 wraps. There's just not enough content on the thing to justify holding on to it. What I might watch on it is already on Hulu or Netflix.

Same.

10 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Oh, I didn't bother killing it during this break, though I know people that did. I didn't think there was any point since my billing cycle is such that I'm only paying for one completely DSC free month.

Also, I've been rewatching episodes, so i don't feel like it's ten bucks down the drain.

7 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

lso, I've been rewatching episodes, so i don't feel like it's ten bucks down the drain.

Same.

If I want to relive good moments to tide me over before Season 2, there's youtube.

At least until net neutrality dies.

nepr   
1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I’ll admit; there really isn’t enough fresh content (for the moment) to make it worthwhile, but I’m keeping my CBS AA open for the time being for three reasons: 

*  I’m lazy (prime reason)

*  I like rewatching some of the DSC episodes now and then. 

*  It’s coming back in a month or so, and I want to see the S1.5 preview/bonus-y stuff (if any??).

37 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

I think the inertia factor is a very important and therefore well-studied part of the subscription model; hence the dominance of free-trials.  The problem for CBS is that they are in sparsely charted territory since they are really the first major network/studio to try going at it with only their own limited, older-viewer-skewed content.  I saw a comment from a Netflix big-wig who said that they've determined that they really need new content every week to battle against churn, which is why they are going greased wallet.  Mr. M has outright admitted that CBS can't compete with that kind of business model.

I'd say the ideal for CBS is to exploit the Trek universe like Marvel is doing.  We, the viewing public, don't know the details, but it seems Marvel's The Punisher is a (maybe short term) win for Netflix, particularly because (as I've read, but haven't seen it) the show isn't very comic bookish and is more like a straight-out action piece.  This would bode well for, say, a Khan prequel series.  But CBS will need deep pocketed partners to pull something like this off.

I also wonder if CBS sees The Orville as contrary to their, "Trek can't work on broadcast," notion.  CBS would require more than the 3-4 million same-day viewers that The O is getting, but they have higher-rated lead-ins.  Taking advantage of the flexibility of Trek, perhaps The Big Bang Theory itself could help with a lighter, more comedic, in the vein of The O, Trek product and we could see some kind of Trek filter back into the broadcast realm.

4 minutes ago, nepr said:

I think the inertia factor is a very important and therefore well-studied part of the subscription model; hence the dominance of free-trials.  The problem for CBS is that they are in sparsely charted territory since they are really the first major network/studio to try going at it with only their own limited, older-viewer-skewed content.  I saw a comment from a Netflix big-wig who said that they've determined that they really need new content every week to battle against churn, which is why they are going greased wallet.  Mr. M has outright admitted that CBS can't compete with that kind of business model.

I'd say the ideal for CBS is to exploit the Trek universe like Marvel is doing.  We, the viewing public, don't know the details, but it seems Marvel's The Punisher is a (maybe short term) win for Netflix, particularly because (as I've read, but haven't seen it) the show isn't very comic bookish and is more like a straight-out action piece.  This would bode well for, say, a Khan prequel series.  But CBS will need deep pocketed partners to pull something like this off.

I also wonder if CBS sees The Orville as contrary to their, "Trek can't work on broadcast," notion.  CBS would require more than the 3-4 million same-day viewers that The O is getting, but they have higher-rated lead-ins.  Taking advantage of the flexibility of Trek, perhaps The Big Bang Theory itself could help with a lighter, more comedic, in the vein of The O, Trek product and we could see some kind of Trek filter back into the broadcast realm.

The Orville is an example of the death of network television in a sense. 5 years ago the show would have been pulled after episode 3, if it lasted that long. Now we're in an environment where it's (roughly) 1.0 is solid and in an environment where Fox has said and CBS has all but said that live overnight ratings don't matter. Their money is made with licensing and most people watch their TV time-shifted, so Live +3 and +7 matters far more. Two examples:

Dynasty on the CW: Its ratings are virtually non-existent.Wednesday's episode rated a.2. But it's a virtual lock for renewal because of a massive international licensing agreement.    

Elementary on CBS: Even though its ratings are better than Dynasty at .6 or so, by those alone it should have died years ago. But, not only was it renewed for the season it's episode order was upped. It has a nice international deal and a national syndication deal with WGN America for $3M an episode. Keeping the show on the air is some of CBS's easiest money.

Could Trek work on TV now when almost nothing is asked from it in terms of front-end performance? Probably. But, at this point, when I want to put eyes on my CBSAA, I still wouldn't put it on network because broadcast viewership continues to whither overall even as it fragments.  

The only difference between CBS and Netflix is that CBS doesn't have the bank to put new material on to be binged. They can't drop all 15 episodes at once because they simply don't have 40 other shows and movies in the pipe.

What CBS can do and looks like it's going to is work up a stable of a dozen or so shows so far and stagger them in rotation as they drop episodes weekly, much like what happens on broadcast already.

If I were Moonves, what I would do is, perhaps, greenlight 8 episodes of something else Trek and see what happens. Self-contain it so if it fails you can say it was always meant to be limited run, but, if it's liked, you call it an 8 part pilot and bring it back with a bigger investment. 

scenario   
2 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

The Orville is an example of the death of network television in a sense. 5 years ago the show would have been pulled after episode 3, if it lasted that long. Now we're in an environment where it's (roughly) 1.0 is solid and in an environment where Fox has said and CBS has all but said that live overnight ratings don't matter. Their money is made with licensing and most people watch their TV time-shifted, so Live +3 and +7 matters far more. Two examples:

Dynasty on the CW: Its ratings are virtually non-existent.Wednesday's episode rated a.2. But it's a virtual lock for renewal because of a massive international licensing agreement.    

Elementary on CBS: Even though its ratings are better than Dynasty at .6 or so, by those alone it should have died years ago. But, not only was it renewed for the season it's episode order was upped. It has a nice international deal and a national syndication deal with WGN America for $3M an episode. Keeping the show on the air is some of CBS's easiest money.

Could Trek work on TV now when almost nothing is asked from it in terms of front-end performance? Probably. But, at this point, when I want to put eyes on my CBSAA, I still wouldn't put it on network because broadcast viewership continues to whither overall even as it fragments.  

The only difference between CBS and Netflix is that CBS doesn't have the bank to put new material on to be binged. They can't drop all 15 episodes at once because they simply don't have 40 other shows and movies in the pipe.

What CBS can do and looks like it's going to is work up a stable of a dozen or so shows so far and stagger them in rotation as they drop episodes weekly, much like what happens on broadcast already.

If I were Moonves, what I would do is, perhaps, greenlight 8 episodes of something else Trek and see what happens. Self-contain it so if it fails you can say it was always meant to be limited run, but, if it's liked, you call it an 8 part pilot and bring it back with a bigger investment. 

I like the idea of limited Trek series. That's the way to explore Trek's past. An 8 episode arc about the Romulan war. Or a short arc about meeting Vulcans for the first time. You could standardize ship's by era. So all series based in the Disc time frame can use dressed up Disc sets. You could have a short series about founding a new human/alien colony. There's no limit. And it would be easy to have crossovers. One series in disc era and one series set post voyager. Then have multiple short series around the two timelines. More like British TV.

7 minutes ago, scenario said:

I like the idea of limited Trek series. That's the way to explore Trek's past. An 8 episode arc about the Romulan war. Or a short arc about meeting Vulcans for the first time. You could standardize ship's by era. So all series based in the Disc time frame can use dressed up Disc sets. You could have a short series about founding a new human/alien colony. There's no limit. And it would be easy to have crossovers. One series in disc era and one series set post voyager. Then have multiple short series around the two timelines. More like British TV.

Go to the future like people say they want or just about anything.

Hell, I'll even take 8 episodes with Captain Tilly.

They can do anything, all they have to want to do it.

nepr   
59 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Kind of embarrassed by how good that sounds to me!

23 minutes ago, nepr said:

Don't be. I think she's one of the high points of the show.

The character and the performance just sparkles. Judging from the hints we're already gotten so far, Captain Tilly could be one of the greats. 

6 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

5 hours ago, nepr said:

5 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Don't be. I think she's one of the high points of the show.

latest?cb=20140803064659

Very much this.  And why would anyone be embarrassed for that?   Personally, I’d be okay if SHE were the focus of the show.  The evolution of a captain from the very beginnings.  How cool would that be?

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

The evolution of a captain from the very beginnings.  How cool would that be?

Start writing, bub. :)