Sign in to follow this  
kenman

CBS All Access

No problem, people, I will stay on topic.

I think I confused the threads LOL

Thanks again, Sehlat ! Sooooooooorry...........

The initial list of films available on CBS  All Access is very limited with only 16 titles. Notably five of the titles are Star Trek films: The Motion Picture, The Voyage Home, The Undiscovered Country, Generations and First Contact. None of those titles are currently available for streaming on Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon in the US.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

kenman   
10 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

No problem, people, I will stay on topic.

I think I confused the threads LOL

Thanks again, Sehlat ! Sooooooooorry...........

The initial list of films available on CBS  All Access is very limited with only 16 titles. Notably five of the titles are Star Trek films: The Motion Picture, The Voyage Home, The Undiscovered Country, Generations and First Contact. None of those titles are currently available for streaming on Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon in the US.

Gus

I think they will definitely try and expand the list. They do actually own a film production company "CBS Films" that has made some decent features in the last few years. They will probably start working towards streaming them exclusively on All Access.

1 hour ago, kenman said:

I think they will definitely try and expand the list. They do actually own a film production company "CBS Films" that has made some decent features in the last few years. They will probably start working towards streaming them exclusively on All Access.

New content is what made AMC and Netflix great; couldn't hurt CBSAA either.  

nepr   

This LA Times article (good article but the site has become pitifully obnoxious) is the first I've seen that gives a number to Netflix's investment in DSC: "about $6m" per episode.  That leaves CBS on the hook for "about" $2m - $2.5m, per episode, if the $8m - $8.5m per episode numbers I've seen are accurate.  So, for CBS, $30m - $40m for season one.  Triple that for Netflix. 

CBS/Les Moonves sees by the end of 2017 at least $4 million subscribers for CBS All Access and Showtime streaming combined.  Some analysts give each "about" half of that total, including DSC sign-ups.  Netflix did sort of pull the curtain back a bit when it said its survey of re-watched Trek episodes tallied numbers from (as quoted by SYFY Wire) "104 million members across 190 countries who have watched" Trek on their service.  This language suggests, unlikely though it seems, that virtually every Netflix member has watched a Trek series at least once!  Subtracting the US of A and its 50m Netflix members, this suggests "about" 50m Trek viewers outside of the US of A to help pay the bills.

Of course the issue is as much additional sign-ups and reduced "churn" (people signing up, cancelling, signing-up again...) as it is total members at any give time.  So, it's complicated..

Hopefully these numbers and my arithmetic make sense.

scenario   
2 hours ago, nepr said:

This LA Times article (good article but the site has become pitifully obnoxious) is the first I've seen that gives a number to Netflix's investment in DSC: "about $6m" per episode.  That leaves CBS on the hook for "about" $2m - $2.5m, per episode, if the $8m - $8.5m per episode numbers I've seen are accurate.  So, for CBS, $30m - $40m for season one.  Triple that for Netflix. 

CBS/Les Moonves sees by the end of 2017 at least $4 million subscribers for CBS All Access and Showtime streaming combined.  Some analysts give each "about" half of that total, including DSC sign-ups.  Netflix did sort of pull the curtain back a bit when it said its survey of re-watched Trek episodes tallied numbers from (as quoted by SYFY Wire) "104 million members across 190 countries who have watched" Trek on their service.  This language suggests, unlikely though it seems, that virtually every Netflix member has watched a Trek series at least once!  Subtracting the US of A and its 50m Netflix members, this suggests "about" 50m Trek viewers outside of the US of A to help pay the bills.

Of course the issue is as much additional sign-ups and reduced "churn" (people signing up, cancelling, signing-up again...) as it is total members at any give time.  So, it's complicated..

Hopefully these numbers and my arithmetic make sense.

They may be treating this almost as a loss leader. They need to have a few high profile shows to brag about. If they can break even or make a small profit, I think they'll be happy. If they want to sell the channel they need it.  Plus, they don't need to pay it off in one or two showings. 10 years from now its going to still be there drawing in new customers. I could see Discovery lasting for 7 seasons and having a spinoff after the first 3 years. In ten years, there could be two or three new Star Trek shows, some finished and some active. 

Who bought Netflix before they had high profile shows like Orange is the New Black, House of Cards and the Marvel shows? The idea is to get people in with the big shows and keep them with the rest of the content. With Roku, its really easy. I can see where one person gets CBS all access for Star Trek and their grandparents end up getting it so they can watch Perry Mason. 

nepr   

Very much agree that, DSC has potential as a loss leader or "prestige" product for CBS.

I really wish we knew how successful VOY and ENT are on the streaming services and how much of that success is from which kind of viewer; for example "grew up with Trek", or "Kelvin timeline fan", or "just-curious-and-captured new fan".  I don't doubt that CBS and especially Netflix and Amazon know the answers to these questions in minute detail, which in itself gives them an advantage, and perhaps a more flexible business model when compared to Nielsen-dependent networks.  I wouldn't be surprised to find that Netflix has simulations that predict minute-by-minute viewership and responses to new content, and that the predictions can be tested in real time against actual viewer behavior.  Not sure if I hope this is right or wrong!

scenario   

I see CBS taking the long view. You're not going to get 10's of millions of people to sign up right away. You keep the channel as an alternative distribution channel. It could be kind of a minor league for shows that are not quite popular enough to make it on the parent network. That doesn't mean the shows aren't good. Many very high quality shows don''t have high ratings. Many of the best shows end up on cable where they can make a good profit for their network with lower ratings than the major networks would allow.  Its also a good way to catch up with shows you missed. It's also a good place to put edgy shows that wouldn't fit on the network.

CBS moved Supergirl from CBS to CW. I can see them using  the channel for shows that are very popular but don't have quite enough viewers to keep them on CBS or fit in with CW.  Say they have a set a floor rating of 1 to keep a show on the air (making the numbers up). They get a show that is a new cult classic that is very popular with a certain group but only has a rating of .7. The show is also not especially expensive to produce. It doesn't fit with CW's programing. Rather than canceling it, move it to CBS all access. Or have more spinoffs. Rather than have 17 NCIS spinoffs on CBS, keep it to two or three and put the rest on all access.  

I think it's initial popularity will be with cable cutters. Someone whose cut their cable bill from $150 a month to $50 a month by cutting cable won't be as worried about another $6 or $10.

3 minutes ago, nepr said:

Ratings so far from IMDB users...  More kind than Rotten Tomatoes users; barely avoided "rotten".

But the critical reviews of RT place it at 87% (!).  That’s fairly fresh.

No offense to fellow Trekkies, but we can be a curmudgeonly bunch... resistant to change or anything beyond our own ‘personal’ visions of ST.   I prefer the relative objectivity of the critics in this case...

nepr   
17 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

But the critical reviews of RT place it at 87% (!).  That’s fairly fresh.

No offense to fellow Trekkies, but we can be a curmudgeonly bunch... resistant to change or anything beyond our own ‘personal’ visions of ST.   I prefer the relative objectivity of the critics in this case...

The IMDB demo breakdown tends to back you up;   Males aged 45+ dragging the average down.  Meanwhile, underrepresented females doing their part to prop the average up.

17 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

May I never get too old to give Star Trek a fair shot.

Me too. ;)

2 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

May I never get too old to give Star Trek a fair shot.

And as the oldest SOB in the house, me three.

scenario   
2 hours ago, nepr said:

The IMDB demo breakdown tends to back you up;   Males aged 45+ dragging the average down.  Meanwhile, underrepresented females doing their part to prop the average up.

Keep in mind that some of the people reviewing it have never seen it and aren't star trek fans. They're making a political point. They hate any show that doesn't have a cast of mostly white men. 

Count me in as well. 

Edited by scenario
spelling and additional info

7 hours ago, Mutai Sho-Rin said:

And as the oldest SOB in the house, me three.

7 hours ago, scenario said:

Keep in mind that some of the people reviewing it have never seen it and aren't star trek fans. They're making a political point. They hate any show that doesn't have a cast of mostly white men. 

Count me in as well. 

^

I think us open-minded older fans are well-represented on this board. :thumbup:

scenario   

I understand why people don't want to sign up for a service to see one show. I have the same problem with sports.

I watch American Football. My team is usually on CBS on 1pm on Sunday. Except when it's on at 4:30 pm on Sunday on CBS. Unless they're playing a team from the NFC conference when it may or may not be on Fox. Except if its on Sunday night when its on NBC, or Monday Night when its on ESPN, or Thursday night when its on the NFL Network, unless it's also on CBS. 

Baseball is worse. Almost all of the 162 games are on a local channel until you get to the playoffs when it switches to the baseball channel for the first game, a channel I never heard of until I tried to watch the game today.

The same thing with Hockey. The entire season is on a local sports channel or NBC until the playoffs when its on the NBC sports network, which is a premium channel you have to pay extra for. So unless you are willing to pay extra, you can watch Hockey all year and then its the playoffs where it disappears except for about one game a week for a month and then it comes back to NBC for the finals.  When my team doesn't make the playoffs and I don't watch hockey for the last couple of weeks of the season, it can be more than two months from when I stop watching until there's a game that is on a channel I can watch. (If I miss the Saturday afternoon game they show once a week or so on NBC.)

If they ran Disc that way, the whole season would be on CBS until the last three episodes of the season where it switches to CBS all access. 

nepr   

In this article we have the following quote from Leslie Moonves, head honcho at CBS:

“Our numbers now have exceeded over two million subs there,” on All Access, Moonves said. “Also over two million subs on Showtime OTT. We said we’d be at four [million] in the middle of next year between the two next year. We’re way over four ahead of schedule, so the plan is working.”

This is the first I've seen of him or anyone at CBS actually coming out and saying that CBS AA has topped 2 million subscribers.  Still, from what he says here and elsewhere, I suspect that Mr. M is feeling the ground rumbling around CBS with much bigger companies stomping on the same turf.  I look for CBS to move even closer to Netflix in the near future.  Not necessarily a merger, but not necessarily not some kind of merger.

I wonder how many of those new CBS All Access subscribers are going to unsubscribe as soon as Discovery’s first season is over... 

5 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

I wonder how many of those new CBS All Access subscribers are going to unsubscribe as soon as Discovery’s first season is over... 

i think they’ll see a mass unsubscribe. But that’s also why we might, at some point, get more Star Trek content - maybe even the announcement of a second show. 

17 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

i think they’ll see a mass unsubscribe. But that’s also why we might, at some point, get more Star Trek content - maybe even the announcement of a second show. 

^

I'd bet on this. 

This happened in the '90s when TNG caught fire; suddenly there was a wave of ST to sell to independent stations.  I really think CBS AA would be wise to read boards like these and do a post-24th century series; it would also solve many of DSC's current issues with tripping over ST continuity.

2 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

I know I'm out as soon as season 1 wraps. There's just not enough content on the thing to justify holding on to it. What I might watch on it is already on Hulu or Netflix.

32 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

I know I'm out as soon as season 1 wraps. There's just not enough content on the thing to justify holding on to it. What I might watch on it is already on Hulu or Netflix.

I’ll admit; there really isn’t enough fresh content (for the moment) to make it worthwhile, but I’m keeping my CBS AA open for the time being for three reasons: 

*  I’m lazy (prime reason)

*  I like rewatching some of the DSC episodes now and then. 

*  It’s coming back in a month or so, and I want to see the S1.5 preview/bonus-y stuff (if any??).