Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kenman

CBS All Access

36 posts in this topic

Cutting the cord to save money isn't all that.

Unless magical imps are responsible for your broadband you're going to ultimately save nothing because if you're not paying for your cable stations your provider is going to get that cash from somewhere.

Better than paying for broadband AND cable.  Actually, we have very few load problems on all the streaming we do (and there are often times where my wife and I are both streaming separate things at once and fiddling around on the wifi on our phones) and we have the lowest cost broadband available.  I save plenty without having cable channels.

Cutting the cord to save money isn't all that.

Unless magical imps are responsible for your broadband you're going to ultimately save nothing because if you're not paying for your cable stations your provider is going to get that cash from somewhere.

Better than paying for broadband AND cable.  Actually, we have very few load problems on all the streaming we do (and there are often times where my wife and I are both streaming separate things at once and fiddling around on the wifi on our phones) and we have the lowest cost broadband available.  I save plenty without having cable channels.

My only point being is that you will eventually pay what you were paying before, just now for broadband at all, cable or no cable. Add data caps and the like and a few years "savings" from cord-cutting will be a memory.If you were paying $150 a month for TV and broadband before, eventually you'll be paying $150 for broadband because the cable companies aren't just going to let that revenue float away because people want to Netflix everything. 

I cant find the link but there was a great article about a guy who spent the last year as a cord cutter and ended up going back to DirectTV because he had a breakdown of everything he considered a "must watch" for him.  Of course the results of cord cutting depend on what you consider "must watch" for you.  Anyway, he pointed out that if you pay for ESPN, netflix, amazon, sling, various other sports and channel subscriptions in order to see everything you want to see, you end up at a very similar cost to paying for your tv service.

I am much like him, i dont want issues in watching the major sports events, ESPN, shows, etc etc etc.  So I am willing to pay the 120 bucks a month to get everything.  I also have kids, so there is there stuff to consider.  So if i have to pay another 6 bucks to ensure that I can watch Star Trek on my tv you better believe that I will be doing so.  I simply wont eat taco bell one day and there you go.  

CBS All Access may be adding a second show to it's Exclusive Original Content, and it's a spin-off or a sequel to "The Good Wife" based on Christine Baranski's character. I don't watch "The Good Wife" myself, but it is a show my wife actually loves...so I guess they've managed to make subscribing to the service worthwhile for my wife and I. Go figure!

Variety : Challenges Ahead for New ‘Star Trek’ Series on CBS All Access

http://variety.com/2016/voices/columns/new-star-trek-on-cbs-all-access-1201843135/

Here's the optimism to be gleaned from the article:

I asked DeBevoise if All Access might offer an ad-free option before the premiere of “Star Trek: Discovery.” “It’s something we’re likely to pursue in the near- to mid-term,” he said. “I can’t give you an exact time frame, but we’re looking pretty hard at it.” The ad-free option, which would cost more, could arrive “before January,” he added

^
Being a ST fan, I'm naturally optimistic.  ;) 

They were pretty quick on that.

I like the option of a cheap ad version and a more expensive without ad version. $3 a month difference but if your only watching one show it may not be worth it for some people to pay the difference. Its also a cheap way to check it out.

Worth it to me. People need to chill. There are other good shows as well. 

I know they will still find a way to complain, but the ad-free option should quash at least some bitching. 

has anyone used this on an amazon firestick?

every review is see on amazon says that it doesn't work. only with the newest fire tv box.

also. you cant cut the cord on this because it will only work on time warner's internet service if you already pay for cbs as a cable channel. so you will have to pay "twice" unfortunately.

the espn app is the same way. time warner makes you input your info into the app to get it to work. so the only way the espn app will work is if you already pay for espn as a cable channel. so again. this isnt a cord cutting situation.

for most of us CBSAA will be akin to paying for an add on to your cable package.

any users want to comment on the quality? how does it compare to other streaming apps?

b.