Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kenman

CBS All Access

53 posts in this topic

Cutting the cord to save money isn't all that.

Unless magical imps are responsible for your broadband you're going to ultimately save nothing because if you're not paying for your cable stations your provider is going to get that cash from somewhere.

Better than paying for broadband AND cable.  Actually, we have very few load problems on all the streaming we do (and there are often times where my wife and I are both streaming separate things at once and fiddling around on the wifi on our phones) and we have the lowest cost broadband available.  I save plenty without having cable channels.

Cutting the cord to save money isn't all that.

Unless magical imps are responsible for your broadband you're going to ultimately save nothing because if you're not paying for your cable stations your provider is going to get that cash from somewhere.

Better than paying for broadband AND cable.  Actually, we have very few load problems on all the streaming we do (and there are often times where my wife and I are both streaming separate things at once and fiddling around on the wifi on our phones) and we have the lowest cost broadband available.  I save plenty without having cable channels.

My only point being is that you will eventually pay what you were paying before, just now for broadband at all, cable or no cable. Add data caps and the like and a few years "savings" from cord-cutting will be a memory.If you were paying $150 a month for TV and broadband before, eventually you'll be paying $150 for broadband because the cable companies aren't just going to let that revenue float away because people want to Netflix everything. 

I cant find the link but there was a great article about a guy who spent the last year as a cord cutter and ended up going back to DirectTV because he had a breakdown of everything he considered a "must watch" for him.  Of course the results of cord cutting depend on what you consider "must watch" for you.  Anyway, he pointed out that if you pay for ESPN, netflix, amazon, sling, various other sports and channel subscriptions in order to see everything you want to see, you end up at a very similar cost to paying for your tv service.

I am much like him, i dont want issues in watching the major sports events, ESPN, shows, etc etc etc.  So I am willing to pay the 120 bucks a month to get everything.  I also have kids, so there is there stuff to consider.  So if i have to pay another 6 bucks to ensure that I can watch Star Trek on my tv you better believe that I will be doing so.  I simply wont eat taco bell one day and there you go.  

CBS All Access may be adding a second show to it's Exclusive Original Content, and it's a spin-off or a sequel to "The Good Wife" based on Christine Baranski's character. I don't watch "The Good Wife" myself, but it is a show my wife actually loves...so I guess they've managed to make subscribing to the service worthwhile for my wife and I. Go figure!

Variety : Challenges Ahead for New ‘Star Trek’ Series on CBS All Access

http://variety.com/2016/voices/columns/new-star-trek-on-cbs-all-access-1201843135/

Here's the optimism to be gleaned from the article:

I asked DeBevoise if All Access might offer an ad-free option before the premiere of “Star Trek: Discovery.” “It’s something we’re likely to pursue in the near- to mid-term,” he said. “I can’t give you an exact time frame, but we’re looking pretty hard at it.” The ad-free option, which would cost more, could arrive “before January,” he added

^
Being a ST fan, I'm naturally optimistic.  ;) 

They were pretty quick on that.

I like the option of a cheap ad version and a more expensive without ad version. $3 a month difference but if your only watching one show it may not be worth it for some people to pay the difference. Its also a cheap way to check it out.

Worth it to me. People need to chill. There are other good shows as well. 

I know they will still find a way to complain, but the ad-free option should quash at least some bitching. 

has anyone used this on an amazon firestick?

every review is see on amazon says that it doesn't work. only with the newest fire tv box.

also. you cant cut the cord on this because it will only work on time warner's internet service if you already pay for cbs as a cable channel. so you will have to pay "twice" unfortunately.

the espn app is the same way. time warner makes you input your info into the app to get it to work. so the only way the espn app will work is if you already pay for espn as a cable channel. so again. this isnt a cord cutting situation.

for most of us CBSAA will be akin to paying for an add on to your cable package.

any users want to comment on the quality? how does it compare to other streaming apps?

b.

Now CBS All Access is upping its game to try and lure in subscribers by adding movies to its lineup. But not many of them.

CBS plans to grow the movie selection gradually, but as of launch there are only 18 titles available. They include several Star Trek films (no surprise there), the comedies Up in the Air, Election, and Funny Face, as well as the classic horror flick Rosemary’s Baby. Marc DeBevoise, President and COO of CBS Interactive, said of the move:

We’ve begun to expand CBS All Access’s content offering to include a selection of film titles relevant to our audience, such as a number of films from the Star Trek franchise. Our goal for CBS All Access is to provide and continually build a well-rounded service for our subscribers.

https://www.streamingobserver.com/cbs-access-adds-movies/

Gus

3 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

Now CBS All Access is upping its game to try and lure in subscribers by adding movies to its lineup. But not many of them.

CBS plans to grow the movie selection gradually, but as of launch there are only 18 titles available. They include several Star Trek films (no surprise there), the comedies Up in the Air, Election, and Funny Face, as well as the classic horror flick Rosemary’s Baby. Marc DeBevoise, President and COO of CBS Interactive, said of the move:

We’ve begun to expand CBS All Access’s content offering to include a selection of film titles relevant to our audience, such as a number of films from the Star Trek franchise. Our goal for CBS All Access is to provide and continually build a well-rounded service for our subscribers.

https://www.streamingobserver.com/cbs-access-adds-movies/

Gus

And they'll no doubt add all the ST series too at some point.  It would be kind of nice to have all of ST on one app. 

Netflix have deleted the TOS and TNG movies from their library. I just checked.

Gus

51 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

Netflix have deleted the TOS and TNG movies from their library. I just checked.

Gus

Yup.

I figured.  I'm guessing the series will follow, as they transfer over to CBSAA.

CBSAA has them now. I suppose it depends on when Netflix contract expires.

Then again, it ultimately depends upon how much Netflix is willing to pay as the Treks are among their most streamed programs.

12 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

CBSAA has them now. I suppose it depends on when Netflix contract expires.

Then again, it ultimately depends upon how much Netflix is willing to pay as the Treks are among their most streamed programs.

Hm. Glad that it's the opposite for me... Trek wasn't on Netflix Germany before January 1st, and that's where they are going to stay. ;)

Maybe that was part of the deal between CBS and Netflix? Netflix gets all Trek shows outside the US, but in exchange, they cease it to CBSAA inside the US?

I was gonna say, CBSAA already does have all the Trek series. Adding the movies would be an extra bonus for them, since they don't technically own them in the same way.  I still think they'd be wise to try and move as much of the CW programming as is possible to All Access, since they are at least co-owners of the network.  Having every Star Trek show and having all those Superhero shows and Supernatural and maybe even Buffy shows from the past?  Gives them an edge with a certain demographic. A one stop for a ton of genre shows? Big draw for the Comic-con kind of crowd. 

2 hours ago, kenman said:

I was gonna say, CBSAA already does have all the Trek series. Adding the movies would be an extra bonus for them, since they don't technically own them in the same way.  I still think they'd be wise to try and move as much of the CW programming as is possible to All Access, since they are at least co-owners of the network.  Having every Star Trek show and having all those Superhero shows and Supernatural and maybe even Buffy shows from the past?  Gives them an edge with a certain demographic. A one stop for a ton of genre shows? Big draw for the Comic-con kind of crowd. 

^

I agree that this would be a VERY smart strategy; they could be THE go-to streaming service for sci-fi fantasy fans.

It would be the best strategy for getting the younger streaming demographics in. Besides, my wife watches one show on the CW, and their free player linda blows. Might as ell create something worthwhile for the many fans of these shows. 

Warner Bros, who co-owns the CW also have library titles like Babylon 5, I would've loved it if it had been reasily available for streaming when I binge watched that. I think CBS and WB should consider the possibilities of making this a joint venture, much as they have done with the CW. Hulu is essentially a joint venture from NBC Universal, Fox, ABC-Disney, and Turner. It has been quite successful for all parties. I think that is what has been setting CBS All Access back. They don't have as much variety in their back catalog. It is one company, and for all their successes, it isn't much variety in programming available. I think if they found a partner like WB or Sony (who are currently running the rather lackluster Crackle, which just lost its best original property, Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, to Netflix). They need more than what they are currently offering, and a joint venture with other Studios could be the very thing that could help them. 

But admittedly I understand why they see more appeal in going it alone...they get all the moneys.

Posted (edited)

WIth the Writers Strike in 1987, they had to start the second season of TNG in syndication with the TV Special THE STAR TREK SAGA FROM ONE GENERATION TO THE NEXT featuring the TV debut of THE CAGE, and then next week with the episodeTHE CHILD, which was a script left from the aborted 1977 series STAR TREK PHASE 2.

I still have FROM ONE GENERATION TO THE NEXT with THE CAGE airing on VHS (transfered to DVD-R) It ends with a special second season TNG promo (another great TV ad by Paramount !)

Edited by GustavoLeao

1 hour ago, GustavoLeao said:

WIth the Writers Strike in 1987, they had to start the second season of TNG in syndication with the TV Special THE STAR TREK SAGA FROM ONE GENERATION TO THE NEXT featuring the TV debut of THE CAGE, and then next week with the episodeTHE CHILD, which was a script left from the aborted 1977 series STAR TREK PHASE 2.

I still have FROM ONE GENERATION TO THE NEXT with THE CAGE airing on VHS (transfered to DVD-R) It ends with a special second season TNG promo (another great TV ad by Paramount !)

Nice promo, but....

stayontopic.jpg ;)

This is the CBSAA thread.  :P

54 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Nice promo, but....

stayontopic.jpg ;)

This is the CBSAA thread.  :P

I'm pretty sure these were being discussed in another thread about the promoting of Dicovery or something...I think Gus just got a little lost on the way in!

3 minutes ago, kenman said:

I'm pretty sure these were being discussed in another thread about the promoting of Dicovery or something...I think Gus just got a little lost on the way in!

Hence I sent Porkins to rescue the thread... :P

And while I love the TNG promos (ah, they take me back...) I think maybe they belong in the TNG section (preferably in the TNG 30th anniversary thread).

So, if we could just keep any more TNG promos out of DSC news/info threads?

-That39d-be-GREAT-meme-37824.jpg  :laugh:

Anyway, BOT:

I think if (and it's a big if) CBSAA does merge with CW programming (as you suggest), that'd give them Supergirl, Flash, Arrow, etc. as well.  Basically it'd be the one-stop fanboy streaming service.   CBS' own "Big Bang Theory" may be on the wane creatively (more like autopilot), but it still pulls in big numbers; if they pulled it out of syndication (TBS syndicates the hell out of it) and put those repeated episodes exclusively on CBSAA, that might up their profile just a little bit more... 

27 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Hence I sent Porkins to rescue the thread... :P

And while I love the TNG promos (ah, they take me back...) I think maybe they belong in the TNG section (preferably in the TNG 30th anniversary thread).

So, if we could just keep any more TNG promos out of DSC news/info threads?

-That39d-be-GREAT-meme-37824.jpg  :laugh:

Anyway, BOT:

I think if (and it's a big if) CBSAA does merge with CW programming (as you suggest), that'd give them Supergirl, Flash, Arrow, etc. as well.  Basically it'd be the one-stop fanboy streaming service.   CBS' own "Big Bang Theory" may be on the wane creatively (more like autopilot), but it still pulls in big numbers; if they pulled it out of syndication (TBS syndicates the hell out of it) and put those repeated episodes exclusively on CBSAA, that might up their profile just a little bit more... 

The only reason I think it should even be on the table is that CBS is a co-owner of the network. It makes a bit of logistica sense, currently I believe that CW shows end up on hulu after airing...it is probably something they could make more money off of if they moved it to their own service as opposed to making a deal to put it on hulu, in which they most likely have to share the ad revenue with Hulu. Trying to compete with hulu but without the same number of partners is an uphill battle (and hulu is the most similar service, being mostly new TV with ads and ad-free options). 

Again this is just an idea on my part on how they could kmprove the service. I obviously have no influence and I agree it is a big if. But I see potential in it, but they'd probably have to rebrand it from "CBS All Access" to something snappier.