Sign in to follow this  
kenman

CBS All Access

kenman   

So I was browsing what is available beyond Trek on the "All Access" site. Trying to see if it is worth the money they would want out of me.  They do have all Trek series, which is a nice thing (as I suspect the Netflix deal is going to come to an end and my access to DS9 will be lost).  It does have all 5 seasons of the Twilight Zone, which even Netflix doesn't have the 45 minute episodes of the fourth season. It also has the original Mission: Impossible which is no longer available on Netflix.  It also has Twin Peaks which is great, but...

I honestly don't know if I'd utilize this service enough to warrant the money.  My wife watches the Good Wife on CBS. That is it for her, as she isn't interested in too many classic shows or anything else on CBS. And since the newest episodes of the Good Wife are always available for free for at least a few weeks...I'm finding it hard to believe I can justify the extra fee each month to my wife.

Does anyone else wonder if they will be actually getting this service for one show? Or do you find you'd actually utilize it enough to warrant an extra $6 fee? I know it isn't a lot...but these things all add up don't they? 

scenario   

I just want to know will the entire season be on in the end. I'd consider signing up after the entire season is there. Sign up for one month. Binge watch and cancel the service if they don't have anything else I'd like. 

kenman   

I just want to know will the entire season be on in the end. I'd consider signing up after the entire season is there. Sign up for one month. Binge watch and cancel the service if they don't have anything else I'd like. 

I think that will most likely be the case...and if so? Could be the route I take, unless I know anyone who could grant me access. 

So I was browsing what is available beyond Trek on the "All Access" site. Trying to see if it is worth the money they would want out of me.  They do have all Trek series, which is a nice thing (as I suspect the Netflix deal is going to come to an end and my access to DS9 will be lost).  It does have all 5 seasons of the Twilight Zone, which even Netflix doesn't have the 45 minute episodes of the fourth season. It also has the original Mission: Impossible which is no longer available on Netflix.  It also has Twin Peaks which is great, but...

I honestly don't know if I'd utilize this service enough to warrant the money.  My wife watches the Good Wife on CBS. That is it for her, as she isn't interested in too many classic shows or anything else on CBS. And since the newest episodes of the Good Wife are always available for free for at least a few weeks...I'm finding it hard to believe I can justify the extra fee each month to my wife.

Does anyone else wonder if they will be actually getting this service for one show? Or do you find you'd actually utilize it enough to warrant an extra $6 fee? I know it isn't a lot...but these things all add up don't they? 

I expect that since CBSAA is likely to end up the sole source for all Trek, that I'll pay the $6

kenman   

Well as I own the blu-rays for the movies, TOS and TNG...and I'm not the biggest Enterprise or Voyager fan, and so far it seems CBSAA doesn't even have TAS...it is rather hard for me to consider it for a new show that may or may not be good and DS9. 

Frontier   

Trek on Amazon just ended today, or is ending (I forget; I read the tweet) - but I too suspect Trek on Netflix will end before the new show.

What I'd like to know is what else does CBSAA have?  And also, how the bloody hell do I even get the app on my blu-ray or PS4 or anything else?  Outside of a PC/Tablet I can't seem to find a way to even get the app in question.

I think everyone is going to get it for the month of January of 2017 to see and try; it's going to become a "is it worth it" thing to keep it.  I think they're going to see a lot of one-month binge subscribers.  Honestly, they should come up with another 3-5 shows to launch at the same time or soon after.  Just having new Trek won't sustain a whole "network/service" thing.

Trek on Amazon just ended today, or is ending (I forget; I read the tweet) - but I too suspect Trek on Netflix will end before the new show.

What I'd like to know is what else does CBSAA have?  And also, how the bloody hell do I even get the app on my blu-ray or PS4 or anything else?  Outside of a PC/Tablet I can't seem to find a way to even get the app in question.

I think everyone is going to get it for the month of January of 2017 to see and try; it's going to become a "is it worth it" thing to keep it.  I think they're going to see a lot of one-month binge subscribers.  Honestly, they should come up with another 3-5 shows to launch at the same time or soon after.  Just having new Trek won't sustain a whole "network/service" thing.

My guess is that, eventually, it'll wind up back on TV as well.

This streaming-exclusive thing sounds more like an experiment than a real business plan for the show.   If the pilot does well on air?  I expect that aired regular episodes will follow, in addition to the streaming option.   CBSAA does the same thing with Big Bang Theory, which is CBS' highest rated show; do you think they'd do any less with Star Trek?  I know they've said they'll air the pilot and stream the rest, but a lot can change in a year... I suspect the streaming-only deal is one of those things.

kenman   

The thing I look at is Yahoo. Yahoo tried to make a streamingn service and launched it with a new season of Community and a couple of other shows (one of which I watched and enjoyed, but it had no name recogition and was a niche scifi comedy thing)...Yahoo no longer has a streaming service. It essentially went bankrupt, they spent more launching it than it made. 

The big mistake was that unlike Netflix which established its streaming service with other content before making original content, Yahoo tried to laynch with purely original stuff, and that bombed quick. 

Now CBSAA does have all current CBS programming, as well as some classic shows owned by CBS like Trek shows and I Love Lucy and various other classic shows from different eras. But the problem is that Netflix has a variety from various different studios, whereas CBS is limiting itself to it's own TV output. There are no movies, just a lot of shows that I'm not really watching. 

Trek as web only is an experiment, and one I think would pay off if they had previously established themselves as a force to be reckoned with, but it is essentially being used to help launch the platform (I know it has been  out for a while, but I don't know anyone who is using it). That is the part that I fear is really not going to work.

They need more exclusive content, more things to draw in consumers than one exclusive show of interest and just CBS programming.

Sim   

Does your tv not have a smart tv option? If it does, maybe all you need to do is upgrading your firmware (should be done anyway every couple of weeks to keep it functional).

Or you get a real smart tv set top box. Guess you'd have to do that anyway in the next past years, when more companies switch to streaming. So yes, it's a one-time investment, but one that pays off quickly.

I've got the Amazon Fire TV box and can recommend it; it runs on Android, so you can install many apps available for smartphone/tablet on it. Which means I cannot just use Amazon Prime on it, but Netflix too, two other streaming services on the German market (sure, costs extra fees, which is why I don't do that), free media libraries of several public and private channels, and even some free apps of services that offer B-movies with ad breaks. And an app that streams many free tv channels, including some that aren't available to us via satellite. Basically everything you can do with a smartphone, just much more comfortably on your tv set.

Since we've got the Fire TV, my wife and I have hardly watched free tv anymore. There is simply no need to do so anymore. Not sure I even remember what ad commercials look like. ;)

I think that I will pay the $6, at least initially. The real question here is whether CBSAA will make all episodes of the season available for binge watching, as is the model elsewhere, or try something different and release them incrementally, week by week. I suspect, when you look at the proposed content, that this platform is aimed very specifically at people like us.

I agree, they really do need more than a Trek show to keep such a platform afloat. If they go the incremental release route, and the season lasts 13 episodes, say, I'll stick around for that long. Otherwise, I'd rather invest in blu-rays. 

I didn't know that Aamazon will no longer feature Tek shows though, and that the Netflix deal will also be reined in before launch. That's a pain. I have old DVDs of DS9 and my blus of TOS and TNG, but I rely on streaming for Enterprise and Voyager, should I feel the need to dip into those. Voyager not so much, I but I do rewatch Enterprise. Maybe it's time to see if I can pick up the blu-rays. 

(Which seems a good point to mention how much the release of DS9 is desired on blu-ray, CBS.) 

Sim   

I wonder what my options are, as CBSAA doesn't exist in Germany, and the rights will go to some other source for the premiere of the show.

Most likely, it will be easier for me. Well possible Amazon Prime gets the deal for the series (they did so before with premieres of other shows, such as "Fear the Walking Dead", which they put in their library the day after the US airing -- or Doctor Who, which is usually available on Amazon Prime a few weeks after the UK premiere) and/or they'll at least show the original English version shortly after the US premiere (they do so with several series, allegedly the new "X-Files", for example). That case would be most comfortable for me.

Apple TV provides many American shows too, in their German iTunes Store, in original English the day after the US airing. That's an option worth considering too, although it's relatively expensive (you have to pay €2-3 for each episode) and it'd be a hassle watching it on my tv set.

Or maybe Netflix Germany picks it up. In that case, I'd consider signing up at Netflix (which I can comfortably watch via an app on my Amazon Fire TV). Netflix Germany is much less attractive than the American Netflix, as its library is much smaller. But still worth it, I guess, and I considered signing up before.

Or the show will even air first on German free tv. Which would give me an incentive to turn on free tv again for a new show the first time in years.

If the time gap between US premiere and first German airing is too long, though, I guess I'll have to ... uhm ... ask a friend for downloads, and use those until there is a BD release. Or just wait.

kenman   

This is purely the nitpicking nerd in me, but CBSAA has some CG rendering of the TMP-era Enterprise...that is just laziness!

I personally do not understand why people are so worried about it.  We are finally getting a new Star Trek show and a bunch of people seem unwilling to give up a few bucks a month in order to watch it.   Dont go to Taco Bell for one day during the month and you're set.  

kenman   

I personally do not understand why people are so worried about it.  We are finally getting a new Star Trek show and a bunch of people seem unwilling to give up a few bucks a month in order to watch it.   Dont go to Taco Bell for one day during the month and you're set.  

These things add up.  And for one show, no matter how big a fan I am...$6 a month is kind of steep. I wouldn't pay $6 a month just to watch one thing.  If my wife isn't going to use it...$8 a month for Netflix is easy to justify...my wife and I both use it with great regularity.  To pay an addition $6 so I can watch one show would be ridiculous to my wife, who would have no need for it.  IF CBS All Access had a better variety beyond just some old shows I might watch but probably will not watch, and some new shows I will definitely not be watching...I might be more interested. 

I might just wait for the blu-ray release or find a friend who has All Access.

Welcome to Omega Sector at Trekcore, Comiskeybum!   Love the Godzilla avatar. 

Post often and prosper.  

scenario   

It's like all of the things that people are just supposed to do every day. Five minutes for this. Ten minutes for that. After a while your up to 26 hours a day and that doesn't even include sleep or work. 

Or as the government says, a billion here, a billion there, pretty soon your talking real money. 

kenman   

It's like all of the things that people are just supposed to do every day. Five minutes for this. Ten minutes for that. After a while your up to 26 hours a day and that doesn't even include sleep or work. 

Or as the government says, a billion here, a billion there, pretty soon your talking real money. 

Exactly...let's say they release an episode a week, we're not even talking full series at once. So if they release each episode weekly...I'd be paying $6 a month to watch 4 episodes of one show.  My wife would be annoyed with that bill added on top of everything else, especially when she gets nothing out of it. 

Now...if they do go the Netflix route and release all at once?  I'd consider giving it a try, binge watching, and ending the subscription. I actually hope they take that route, but I doubt it...because I think too many people would do the same thing and they know it...it's bad for business.

Tis' a shame that CBS is taking this route, because I really think CBSAA is a little bit doomed to failure. I think CBS wants to do it's own thing, but they just don't have the content to make it work. IF they had teamed up with another outlet, they'd have more of a chance. Look at Hulu.  It was (if I remember correctly) initially a team up between Fox and NBC.  Then ABC got in on the action...it has a lot of diverse content to choose from, both in terms of current shows and classic ones, as well as plenty of movies (they even have a deal with the Criterion Collection...lots of great classic and foreign films to choose from!) CBS has some old CBS shows that they own, and their current programming which I tend not to watch.  It lacks a real variety of a library.

Exactly...let's say they release an episode a week, we're not even talking full series at once. So if they release each episode weekly...I'd be paying $6 a month to watch 4 episodes of one show.  My wife would be annoyed with that bill added on top of everything else, especially when she gets nothing out of it. 

Now...if they do go the Netflix route and release all at once?  I'd consider giving it a try, binge watching, and ending the subscription. I actually hope they take that route, but I doubt it...because I think too many people would do the same thing and they know it...it's bad for business.

Tis' a shame that CBS is taking this route, because I really think CBSAA is a little bit doomed to failure. I think CBS wants to do it's own thing, but they just don't have the content to make it work. IF they had teamed up with another outlet, they'd have more of a chance. Look at Hulu.  It was (if I remember correctly) initially a team up between Fox and NBC.  Then ABC got in on the action...it has a lot of diverse content to choose from, both in terms of current shows and classic ones, as well as plenty of movies (they even have a deal with the Criterion Collection...lots of great classic and foreign films to choose from!) CBS has some old CBS shows that they own, and their current programming which I tend not to watch.  It lacks a real variety of a library.

I still have a sneaking suspicion that if the CBS-aired pilot scores well in the ratings?  They'll probably air the entire series, too.   My guess is that they'll stand firmly by the CBSAA route... until they decide not to. :Ferengi: ;)

kenman   

I still have a sneaking suspicion that if the CBS-aired pilot scores well in the ratings?  They'll probably air the entire series, too.   My guess is that they'll stand firmly by the CBSAA route... until they decide not to. :Ferengi: ;)

It's possible. I think streaming is an important part of the make-up of TV's future.  I'd personally rather shows I like to be readily available in streaming, because appointment TV is hard for me these days what with the baby, and I work strange hours (oddly enough in broadcast TV). I catch most things in some form of streaming. But CBSAA itself seems to lack enough to get me to jump on board for one show.  My wife uses their free service to watch the Good Wife, which they have available for free for a few weeks before it is subscription only.  I'd be willing to deal with catching it before it goes to the non-free version...but I doubt they will be going that route. Subscription only I assume.

scenario   

I'd like it if they showed the episode on regular tv and then on CBSAA the next day with all of their shows. Don't have repeats. Fall, Winter shows. Then Spring, summer shows. If you miss an episode or get into a show in year two, get CBSAA for a month, catch up, then cancel. Create spin offs from popular shows using the same sets and locations to save money and put them on CBSAA.  Maybe have some lower rated cult type shows on CBSAA before they're on regular TV. As they get more and more content, people will start keeping the service. They have to build the network over years. They're not going to do it with a quick fix.

Edited by scenario

It'd have to do "Empire" level ratings to get CBS to potentially cannibalize its effort to build CBSAA as a platform.

scenario   

It'd have to do "Empire" level ratings to get CBS to potentially cannibalize its effort to build CBSAA as a platform.

Long term, what happens to CBS when more and more people drop cable. Less people on cable but the networks still want their money which raises prices for the remaining people. Death spiral for cable in 10 or 20 years. Some will end up an internet only services and drop tv altogether. There won't be enough people buying rabbit ears to support the new NCIS Kansas City 20, 25 years from now.  Do they want to do the same thing most big companies do in a dying industry or do they want to get ahead of the curve? 

kenman   

Long term, what happens to CBS when more and more people drop cable. Less people on cable but the networks still want their money which raises prices for the remaining people. Death spiral for cable in 10 or 20 years. Some will end up an internet only services and drop tv altogether. There won't be enough people buying rabbit ears to support the new NCIS Kansas City 20, 25 years from now.  Do they want to do the same thing most big companies do in a dying industry or do they want to get ahead of the curve? 

Many cord cutters, like myself, can drop cable and just get an antenna for the free over the air broadcast stations. CBS will be fine as a network just as all the broadcast stations will be. I know a lot of people without cable but still with broadcast. 

CBSAA definitely needs more available programming to be worthwhile. Hulu, Netflix, Amazon...they all have a variety from different distribution deals and studios. CBS is to insular really. That is the issue.

Yahoo attempted to launch their own streaming service and was banking on "Community" to bring people in. They've since closed up shop, because they lost money. They had one lnown property and two originals, and it bombed. Now it was a non-subscription service, it was freely available and ad-based...yet it bombed due to a lack of content and was boarded up. Now CBS is asking people to pay for a small amount of content and banking on one show to realky sell it. They better have a few more properties and some more content or it is gonna have a similar issue to Yahoo. 

scenario   

Many cord cutters, like myself, can drop cable and just get an antenna for the free over the air broadcast stations. CBS will be fine as a network just as all the broadcast stations will be. I know a lot of people without cable but still with broadcast. 

CBSAA definitely needs more available programming to be worthwhile. Hulu, Netflix, Amazon...they all have a variety from different distribution deals and studios. CBS is to insular really. That is the issue.

Yahoo attempted to launch their own streaming service and was banking on "Community" to bring people in. They've since closed up shop, because they lost money. They had one lnown property and two originals, and it bombed. Now it was a non-subscription service, it was freely available and ad-based...yet it bombed due to a lack of content and was boarded up. Now CBS is asking people to pay for a small amount of content and banking on one show to realky sell it. They better have a few more properties and some more content or it is gonna have a similar issue to Yahoo. 

If they want it to work they have to be willing to take losses for a few years while they build up content. CBS own other cable companies. They need to use some of that content. To survive long term they need to produce their own content so they do not have rights issues. 

Cord cutting works in areas where you can pick up a cbs signal. Many areas in the U.S. either don't have a local CBS station or the station has such a weak signal that they don't have much range. A station I used to watch over the air had its antenna blow down. They replaced it with  much smaller antenna with 1/3 the range. It wasn't cost effective to set up a new one. 

Cutting the cord to save money isn't all that.

Unless magical imps are responsible for your broadband you're going to ultimately save nothing because if you're not paying for your cable stations your provider is going to get that cash from somewhere.