Sign in to follow this  
Frontier

It Seemed About Time...

kenman   

I had a friend who I went to film school with, and we were at his house watching Arrested Development with that awful feature on...and a show shot on video looks even weirder.  I asked him how he could stand it and he said it made everything seem more real...I just don't see how that looks good to anyone's eyes!

I had a friend who I went to film school with, and we were at his house watching Arrested Development with that awful feature on...and a show shot on video looks even weirder.  I asked him how he could stand it and he said it made everything seem more real...I just don't see how that looks good to anyone's eyes!

Me either. I really don't understand the "looks more real" thing. You don't SEE like that.

Me either. I really don't understand the "looks more real" thing. You don't SEE like that.

I think my eyes operate at a 60 htz frame rate... :laugh:

I think my eyes operate at a 60 htz frame rate... :laugh:

Mine, too. It just looks bizarre.

You can turn that feature off. I hate it when suddenly a movie I've loved for years and know was shot on film suddenly looks like video. 

In fact, Prome, it was you who told me that feature could be shut off. I wouldn't have bought it if everything had that insane gloss to it. I want whatever I'm watching to look how the makers  of it intended it to look. 

The new show is unknown at this point.

As for some high def TV adjustments, most people mess up setting them and put on that frosty setting, or have the screen at the wrong frame setting.

Is there a difference with PAL, as we use NTS and they are different, as most US TVs are NTS?

Some of the TVs are those awful 3D gimmick ones, and none of them look good. I can't see 3D anyway, but they especially look awful in the store.

Old 1980s shows and cartoons should not be up converted with that up conversion thing as it makes them lack grain and look somehow overly polished. They should be adjusted to a lower resolution, perhaps 720, or even 480, as they weren't designed to be shown in HD.

Not sure what would cause ther screen image to 'flutter' before the eyes though. That would be either the TV settings or the video was not designed to play in HD at all.

Generally movies are made to transfer well to HD if they've been converted right, but I could see some cheaper versions using improper methods to make a broadcast that looks dreadful.

HFR movies like the Hobbit films looked awful in HFR. They looked almost cheap, and there it had a lack of flutter, as the human eye is used to 24-30 frames with holes, not to 48 frames with no spaces.

If your eyes operate at 60 frames, wouldn't you see it even more HD?

Actually the eye does operate far clearer than 24 frames, but humans are used to watching film for nearly 100 years that has had it lower.

Edited by Chimera82405

If your eyes operate at 60 frames, wouldn't you see it even more HD?

To clarify, that was a joke.   And 60 htz is the minimum image processing speed for an HD TV (at least, it was when I got mine back in 2008...).  Most modern HD sets are closer to 240 htz (hertz is not exactly the same as frame rate, but it enables higher frame rates; makes it popular with gamers). 

Sim   

My guess is that 4k is still far from becoming standard. It will at least take 5 years, more likely 10 years until it's at the point where 1080p is now.

A recent study (Feb 2015) showed that 55% of the German households with tv still use SD or even analog, only 45% are using HDTV (720p or 1080p):

http://www.golem.de/news/trotz-starkem-zuwachs-nur-45-prozent-der-haushalte-nutzen-hd-fernsehen-1502-112387.html

That's only 17.6 mio German households using HDTV, ca. 10 mio of which via satellite, 6.6 mio cable and 1 mio IPTV.

4k tv sets are bombing on the German market so far: There is next to no content available in UHD. And the huge majority of Germans says they are not willing to pay additional money for higher resolution (that even includes the switch from SD to 1080p HD), but rather stick with SD, as long as it is free.

The major private channels in Germany all require extra money in 1080i, while the SD channels remain free, but hardly any German is interested in paying that extra sum.

Six out of 10 German cable users still use SD, 3 of which even analog.

http://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/webwelt/article137460997/Deutsche-nicht-scharf-auf-superscharfes-Fernsehen.html

If the "top sales" on Amazon Germany are any indication, DVDs still sell much better than Blu Rays with the same content.

So I don't think 4k is anywhere near becoming a new standard, as not even 1080p HD is fully established yet. But maybe Germans are especially conservative in these regards. Apart from tv show nerds such as us, I don't know a single person in my environment who gives a damn if he's watching HD or SD. People for whom tv isn't a dear hobby just don't care, and won't pay an extra cent for it when given the choice.

Edited by Sim

scenario   

The most important thing to me in a tv show or movie is whether or not the show is interesting to watch. I tend to multitask and listen to tv more than watch it so the extra quality is totally wasted on me. The only show on tv I am currently watching is Agent Carter. There are so few shows worth watching that it doesn't make any sense to buy a new tv even if the new tv's didn't hurt my eyes. 

It reminds me of video games. Most of the games I still play are 20 years old or more. The newer games look a lot better but they tend to be just variations on a theme. The people who make video games settled on a half a dozen themes years ago and the types of games I like aren't being made anymore. I like open ended games that don't have a fixed goal. You just kind of wander around exploring. You can get something similar on line but I am not interested in multiplayer games. 

I'm just excited for a new Trek series... I'm don't care too much about the format.... ship, station, anthology, don't matter.  Timeframe, prime, JJverse don't matter.  I hope we get interesting characters, great storylines, and I hope we move away from too many stand alone shows that are flipping through genres and formats.... a virus one week, a civil war then next, courtroom drama the next and so on...

I'd like to see a focused effort telling a larger story than we've been used to in trek... more akin to what we've been seeing in television since Trek's been off the air.

I just want to make sure - are spoilers allow in this part of the forum? I just want to make sure because I read a lot of news about the show but I'm unsure if I should post it in case there are posters that want to be surprised.

I just want to make sure - are spoilers allow in this part of the forum? I just want to make sure because I read a lot of news about the show but I'm unsure if I should post it in case there are posters that want to be surprised.

Just to be safe?   Let's just post spoiler warnings whenever we talk in detail about the new show.   :)

There may be those few souls who want to be surprised... :P