Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frontier

It Seemed About Time...

40 posts in this topic

In just shy of one year, we'll have an all new Star Trek series to watch for the first time since Enterprise ended in 2005.  So it seemed about time to create a forum for discussion of that series.  Try to keep things civil and remember that as of right now, we know virtually nothing about the show.  So everyone at this juncture is just discussion hopes and dreams (and maybe even nightmares?)

I'm glad this topic is here.  My plan is to form ZERO opinion until I read something substantive about the show.  Even then, I'll keep an open mind until I see it for the first time.  This is how I treated Enterprise, even though I moderated that forum on TrekBBS.  By ignoring the ignorant, knee-jerk opinions, I was able to assess and enjoy the series.  Now we have another chance for a fresh start and I'm eagerly awaiting its launch.

I cannot understand being wildly for or wildly against the show at this point.  It amazes me that people are not civil about something that doesn't exist and we know nothing about. Give it time. 

I'm glad this topic is here.  My plan is to form ZERO opinion until I read something substantive about the show.  Even then, I'll keep an open mind until I see it for the first time.  This is how I treated Enterprise, even though I moderated that forum on TrekBBS.  By ignoring the ignorant, knee-jerk opinions, I was able to assess and enjoy the series.  Now we have another chance for a fresh start and I'm eagerly awaiting its launch.

This right here. I hope for great things, of course, but there's no judgement to pass until there's something to see.

This right here. I hope for great things, of course, but there's no judgement to pass until there's something to see.

There's so little to go on at this point, that there's really nothing to get upset over just yet.  Wait-and-see it is.  

Though I will say it'd be nice to see Sim's 'canon-agnostic' approach; and hopefully (if it's not too much to wish for) some clever, thoughtful, imaginative storytelling.    Not a rehash of previous stories or characters, but a slimmed-down, smarter Star Trek for the 21st century. 

Not a rehash of previous stories or characters, 

I'm resolving to try to be tolerant of even a little of this.

By that, I mean, while I would be just as ticked as anyone else at, say, another artificial life form, but there have been so many popular characters and so many stories told with them, there's bound to be some touching on previous themes.

What I don't want is a rehash to the point of knowing I've literally seen this before. 

Fresh Trek - Star Trek for modernists with thematic understructure you may recognize but treated with the very latest 21st century storytelling toolings and all-new characters!

I'm optimistic. I actually feel happy this is happening - just the fact that it is. I always wanted Star Trek back on TV, where it can breathe and develop and not have to cater to the summer blockbuster movie crowd. TV is where Star Trek belongs. We will see, of course, but just the fact that someone, somewhere within Viacom has moved mountains (probably) to make this happen, and it chimes with what we want for once, is cause for minor celebration.

If it sucks? At least its an addition to the canon. If it doesn't? Cause for major celebration.

Not a rehash of previous stories or characters, 

I'm resolving to try to be tolerant of even a little of this.

By that, I mean, while I would be just as ticked as anyone else at, say, another artificial life form, but there have been so many popular characters and so many stories told with them, there's bound to be some touching on previous themes.

What I don't want is a rehash to the point of knowing I've literally seen this before. 

^
That's a smarter version of my original post; and yes, after 700 plus hours of ST, similarities from one story to another are frankly inevitable.   But yes, I don't want to see a beat-for-beat remake of "Naked Time" again, or some other (as Gillian Taylor might say) dip s#!t stuff like that.  
:P

Fresh Trek - Star Trek for modernists with thematic understructure you may recognize but treated with the very latest 21st century storytelling toolings and all-new characters!

I'm optimistic. I actually feel happy this is happening - just the fact that it is. I always wanted Star Trek back on TV, where it can breathe and develop and not have to cater to the summer blockbuster movie crowd. TV is where Star Trek belongs. We will see, of course, but just the fact that someone, somewhere within Viacom has moved mountains (probably) to make this happen, and it chimes with what we want for once, is cause for minor celebration.

If it sucks? At least its an addition to the canon. If it doesn't? Cause for major celebration.

Break out the Chateau Picard... :thumbup:

"Star Trek: The Third Generation" would be a cool title for the show. ;)

"Star Trek: The Third Generation" would be a cool title for the show. ;)

Or Deep Space Ten... :P

I have to say I'm optimistic, even though we know so little.  Not much to be excited or irritated about just yet...but TV being what it is now?  People watch smarter shows all the time now.  "Mad Men" was a pretty big success and it wasn't a whiz bang kinda show.  It was introspective, psychological and intelligent. "Breaking Bad" had a bit of the whiz bang storytelling, but it was still a very smart show.  There are even sophisticated comedies like "Louie" or "Veep," "30 Rock," "Parks and Recreation" or even "Modern Family."  While mainstream pop movies have devolved in a big way...the same really can't be said for TV.  It has evolved that the only business model that really works is to make it satisfying for binge-watching, and to give it a rewatchable factor. That has become part of TV's business model, and that is a very good sign for Trek.  If disposable entertainment were still the norm for TV (movies are designed now to make a billion dollars in a weekend and be thrown out it seems), I'd be worried...but I'm really not.

CBS tends to cater to the mainstream bottom of the barrel in my opinion.  "Big Bang Theory", "Mom," "Two and a Half Men" and those "NCIS" shows?  They do little for me...but even CBS has intelligent shows designed fo this new model, like "The Good Wife" which I can't say I really watch, but my wife loves it and I can just say I get what she sees in it...and it seems to be a smart drama. 

And Kurtzman has worked on some shows that successful not just in terms of ratings but some critical hits.  I've not seen any of them, so I can't personally speak to quality, but I've heard things good and bad about each. He is the EP on far too many shows to really even be the main culprit if this show is a stinker.  He is bound to be far too busy to truly be the main guy running the show.  He will have some early creative input, and hire the folks who will really run the show...and he'll pop in once in a while to make sure things run smoothly.  Anyone scared by his involvement has no real clue how this industry works.

Honestly, I don't know if I will even be watching it unless it is also sold on amazon video or on DVD.  I don't subscribe to Netflix or any other online service.  I don't have time to watch the free/cable TV I have access to 9 months of the year since I teach and it takes up almost all my "free time" after the school day ends.  Hope it does well.  

Honestly, I don't know if I will even be watching it unless it is also sold on amazon video or on DVD.  I don't subscribe to Netflix or any other online service.  I don't have time to watch the free/cable TV I have access to 9 months of the year since I teach and it takes up almost all my "free time" after the school day ends.  Hope it does well.  

I'm pretty sure it will be on DVD/BD. Is there any show that isn't released on DVD/BD? Only problem, if it is one, is that you'll probably have to wait a couple of months until they release it.

Not sure if that's the case in the US too, but streaming is still in its infancy in Germany, and way too many households don't have access to fast enough internet connections. It would be a huge waste of money for the producers to *not* release shows on DVD/BD, because only those can reach the people who don't use streaming yet. As far as I know, DVDs/BDs are still the main market for tv shows, at least in Germany. I can't imagine streaming makes more than a small share so far, although it is growing quickly.

You see releases for *all* formats for *all* successful shows in Germany: Depending which company/network gets the deal, the premiere is either on pay tv, free tv or streaming. If it's on streaming or pay tv, there will be a DVD/BD release 6-9 months later. And 1.5-2 years later, it finally comes to free tv (even if that's just a smaller channel).

I can't think of any marketing model in which it wouldn't make sense to release it on DVD/BD, at this point. Maybe it'll look differently in 10 years or so.

Edited by Sim

I know someone who I work with who watches Netflix originals like "House of Cards" and "Orange is the New Black" and she doesn't actually have Netflix, she was just getting the DVDs from the library.  So yeah, you'll have a chance to check them out without needing the streaming service.  I'm sure Trek will be no different in that regards. Especially with a guaranteed audience who will probably buy it. 

I know someone who I work with who watches Netflix originals like "House of Cards" and "Orange is the New Black" and she doesn't actually have Netflix, she was just getting the DVDs from the library.  So yeah, you'll have a chance to check them out without needing the streaming service.  I'm sure Trek will be no different in that regards. Especially with a guaranteed audience who will probably buy it. 

Part of me is hoping that blu/DVD sales of the new show will be so huge that CBS will invest in remastering the remaining Trek shows, beginning with DS9. 

And then they'll commission new movies-of-the-week featuring all-new DS9! :) 

Edited by Robin Bland

Part of me is hoping that blu/DVD sales of the new show will be so huge that CBS will invest in remastering the remaining Trek shows, beginning with DS9. 

Wake up, Robin... you were typing in your sleep.  :giggle:

Believe me; we ALL share that dream, my friend.  Here's hoping... someday. :thumbup:

The adoption of 4K television is the key, I think. IF manufacturers decide that it WILL be the next big thing,then there's a real shot. Televisions are too cheap for the industry these days. You can buy a fairly high-end LED 1080p for, all things considered, really cheap. Profit margins on TVs are razor thin for retailers. If the manufactuers get together and decide that it's worth it to phase out 1080p in favor of 4K, thereby forcing the consumer into 4K, they are also upping demand for 4K content.

And I'll be blunt: I've seen it and 480p content (the resolution level of DS9 and VOY) looks like absolute s%^& on a screen capable of 10x the resolution.There are no software algorithms good enough to fill in for that much missing data. Star Trek is a mult-billion dollar goose. If the tipping point in 4K is reached that it becomes the consumer standard, they will have effectively banished roughly half of Trek's filmed content to the basement of unwatchability in the format that makes the most money and gets the most eyes (streaming)

If that tipping point is reached, CBS/P will HAVE to pony up the money or forever lose any profitablity from some 300 hours of television.

Then they'll do it, and probably not before.

Wake up, Robin... you were typing in your sleep.  :giggle:

Believe me; we ALL share that dream, my friend.  Here's hoping... someday. :thumbup:

Stranger things have happened... Like us getting a new Star Trek TV show... :)

The adoption of 4K television is the key, I think. IF manufacturers decide that it WILL be the next big thing,then there's a real shot. Televisions are too cheap for the industry these days. You can buy a fairly high-end LED 1080p for, all things considered, really cheap. Profit margins on TVs are razor thin for retailers. If the manufactuers get together and decide that it's worth it to phase out 1080p in favor of 4K, thereby forcing the consumer into 4K, they are also upping demand for 4K content.

And I'll be blunt: I've seen it and 480p content (the resolution level of DS9 and VOY) looks like absolute s%^& on a screen capable of 10x the resolution.There are no software algorithms good enough to fill in for that much missing data. Star Trek is a mult-billion dollar goose. If the tipping point in 4K is reached that it becomes the consumer standard, they will have effectively banished roughly half of Trek's filmed content to the basement of unwatchability in the format that makes the most money and gets the most eyes (streaming)

If that tipping point is reached, CBS/P will HAVE to pony up the money or forever lose any profitablity from some 300 hours of television.

Then they'll do it, and probably not before.

I actually invested in a 4K set recently and although there is not yet that much content available, when it is, you really notice it. I'm thinking of buying another for the den.  Blus look magnificent and even some of my old region 2 DVDs look pretty good with the upscaling. Not my region 2 DS9 DVDs unfortunately - they tend to look like mud - although it looks marginally better streamed from Netflix. 

It'll be slow, I think, but inevitable. As you observe, 300 hours of TV that could find a new and loyal audience is potentially a lot to lose. 

(The campaign for 4K starts here, folks...)

I'm one of the few that find Hi def physically painful to watch. When I try to watch a hi def tv it looks like the screen is fluttering or waving. I get dizzy trying to watch it. I've watched about a dozen hi def tv's and the same thing has happened on all of them. I don't know what I'll do when my 20 year old tv breaks. I'll probably just end up not watching tv anymore, it wouldn't be worth the migraines I get from hi def. 

I'm one of the few that find Hi def physically painful to watch. When I try to watch a hi def tv it looks like the screen is fluttering or waving. I get dizzy trying to watch it. I've watched about a dozen hi def tv's and the same thing has happened on all of them. I don't know what I'll do when my 20 year old tv breaks. I'll probably just end up not watching tv anymore, it wouldn't be worth the migraines I get from hi def. 

Is that...just like, movies in the showroom at the store, or anywhere you've seen 1080? Because they use very different settings in the stores and I could see where that comes from.

Is that...just like, movies in the showroom at the store, or anywhere you've seen 1080? Because they use very different settings in the stores and I could see where that comes from.

Mostly over friends houses. I stayed at my brother in laws house and I had to go into the settings and lower the resolution to be able to watch it and then change it back for the rest of the family. Most of the time I end up listening because watching is too painful. 

Wow. I've never really heard of that. Must be some variant on 3D film vertigo.

If people have any hi-def TV on that awful setting where it makes all film stuff look like Video?  I can see where the pain comes from.  I turn that crap off with any set I get, because it just makes everything look so weird and horrible.  I want a good quality, but I hate when it is trying to smooth out all motion blur and stuff. It doesn't look natural.

Yeah, I hate high frame rate video, the 240htz stuff.   Makes even the best feature films look like an '80s soap opera.   Can't stand it.  I'm relieved to hear that it's optional on the new TVs, because when we eventually upgrade to a 4k set I want the option of turning that feature off.   My wife and I still have a 42" LCD HDTV from 2008 in our living room (waiting till it dies before we upgrade) and a 24" 720p set in the bedroom (good enough for my old ST episodes).  

Frankly I'm in no great hurry to upgrade to 4K but I imagine that by the time our TV croaks, it'll be the new standard already...

If people have any hi-def TV on that awful setting where it makes all film stuff look like Video?  I can see where the pain comes from.  I turn that crap off with any set I get, because it just makes everything look so weird and horrible.  I want a good quality, but I hate when it is trying to smooth out all motion blur and stuff. It doesn't look natural.

Yeah, I hate high frame rate video, the 240htz stuff.   Makes even the best feature films look like an '80s soap opera.   Can't stand it.  I'm relieved to hear that it's optional on the new TVs, because when we eventually upgrade to a 4k set I want the option of turning that feature off.   My wife and I still have a 42" LCD HDTV from 2008 in our living room (waiting till it dies before we upgrade) and a 24" 720p set in the bedroom (good enough for my old ST episodes).  

Frankly I'm in no great hurry to upgrade to 4K but I imagine that by the time our TV croaks, it'll be the new standard already...

I'll keep my 65" 1080 rear-projection until they don't make replacement bulbs anymore.

And, yeah, I only want my movie to look like it was shot on an HD handcam if it was.