Sign in to follow this  
Robin Bland

Star Wars: Han Solo Movie

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Hopefully Howard can salvage the wreck.

I guess he's the archetypal "safe pair of hands," isn't he? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Hopefully Howard can salvage the wreck.

He's known to have saved a disastrous spaceflight once before... :P

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

I guess he's the archetypal "safe pair of hands," isn't he? 

While his last couple of movies haven't exactly set the world afire, I think he still has that solid reputation.   While he's never had to  'save' a movie before, I don't doubt his ability to do so. 

His relationship with Lucasfilm goes back 45 years, starting with his lead role in Lucas' second feature film, "American Graffiti" (1973), the movie that gave Lucas the relative clout to make Star Wars, and arguably launched the "Happy Days" TV show (1974; which also starred Howard).  He also directed 1988's "Willow" for Lucasfilm.  I'm pretty sure (?) he's also worked with Lucasfilm current CEO Kathleen Kennedy as well (though I might have to check IMDB on that one).

Howard's also said in interviews that SW77 was the movie that put him firmly on the path to directing (both he and Lucas were unofficial 'students' of B-movie maestro and human film school Roger Corman).

When I heard Howard was tapped to finish the Han Solo movie I wasn't surprised that he'd take the opportunity; I imagine from his POV it's a bit like a homecoming...

PS: As for all the hubbub regarding the hiring of an 'acting coach'?  That's not unusual in Hollywood.  Sometimes an acting coach can be someone who teaches an exotic dialect, or movement on a motion capture performance.  "Acting coach" is a generic term that can be very misleading...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:
STAR WARS: Lucasfilm Developing OBI-WAN KENOBI Film With Stephen Daldry In Talks To Direct
 
Bah, another prequel huh ? Whats next,a "Chewbacca and his family" movie ?
 

Well, we knew the Kenobi movie was an eventuality, do it’s not exactly like they sprang it on us.

I’m just trying to imagine how much Kenobi ‘story’ is left to tell; We saw him retire to a life of hermitude and Luke-watching on Tatooine at the end of ROTS, and we see him 20 years later as a “crazy old man” in SW77.    

While I really enjoyed Ewan McGregor in the role (one of the few things that actually worked in the prequels), it’s hard to muster much enthusiasm without knowing more.  As it is, we should be watching a movie about a guy growing into retirement age in a hot desert while occasionally scaring off sandpeople and going to the local market for groceries, etc. 

It might as well be called “Florida Retirement: The Movie.” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

 As it is, we should be watching a movie about a guy growing into retirement age in a hot desert while occasionally scaring off sandpeople

What about the white-knuckle tension that comes with knowing they'll be back....AND in greater numbers.

Dun-dun-duuuuuunnnnnnnnnnn. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

What about the white-knuckle tension that comes with knowing they'll be back....AND in greater numbers.

Dun-dun-duuuuuunnnnnnnnnnn. :P

Or the riveting scene when, alone in his Tatooine dwelling, he picks up Anakin’s old lightsaber and says, “Who’s all-powerful NOW, b!tch?” :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Spinoff: Han Solo meets the Spice Girls of Kessel.  :giggle:

It's a bit "join-the-dots," isn't it? Sometimes backstory should remain just backstory. But maybe Howard is indeed just trolling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

It's a bit "join-the-dots," isn't it? Sometimes backstory should remain just backstory. But maybe Howard is indeed just trolling. 

It does (I agree). However, the Kessell Run is, after all, the centerpiece of Han Solo's pre-SW77 mythology.  I'd almost be surprised if we DIDN'T see it.  I also wouldn't be terribly surprised to see the Sabaac match where Lando lost the Falcon to Solo (again; not that we need to see it, nor that I personally need to see it; just guessing that we will).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenman   

Star Wars is just a haven for "get excited fans, here is a thing from the original trilgoy that you've heard of!"

Oh I miss Star Wars being fresh and new amd full of ideas and possibilities. Seems very narrow nowadays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

It does (I agree). However, the Kessell Run is, after all, the centerpiece of Han Solo's pre-SW77 mythology.  I'd almost be surprised if we DIDN'T see it.  I also wouldn't be terribly surprised to see the Sabaac match where Lando lost the Falcon to Solo (again; not that we need to see it, nor that I personally need to see it; just guessing that we will).

I'm less convinced. I dunno why we have to see this stuff. On the other hand, it's Lawrence Kasdan, one of the great living screenwriters, so I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be the join-the-dots fest that I fear.

1 hour ago, kenman said:

Star Wars is just a haven for "get excited fans, here is a thing from the original trilgoy that you've heard of!"

Oh I miss Star Wars being fresh and new amd full of ideas and possibilities. Seems very narrow nowadays. 

I think you've got a point, at least regarding the films - or the sense of where the films are heading. But maybe I should wait until i see The Last Jedi before I get too worried about that.

And it's certainly not true of TV Star wars. Rebels has remained pretty damn fresh throughout its three seasons, and I'm hoping the fourth and final one will stay true to that approach.

Edited by Robin Bland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

I'm less convinced. I dunno why we have to see this stuff. On the other hand, it's Lawrence Kasdan, one of the great living screenwriters, so I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be the join-the-dots fest that I fear.

And I honestly hope you’re right; we DON’T need to see it.  But sometimes the obvious is too tempting to ignore; especially in a prequel.

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

I think you've got a point, at least regarding the films - or the sense of where the films are heading. But maybe I should wait until i see The Last Jedi before I get too worried about that.

And it's certainly not true of TV Star wars. Rebels has remained pretty damn fresh throughout its three seasons, and I'm hoping the fourth and final one will stay true to that approach.

“Rebels” certainly is a pleasant little surprise; takes a while to get up to speed, but by the end of S2 it has moments that rival the movies.

And yes, I’m reserving judgment till I see “The Last Jedi”; I’m just hopelessly optimistic, I guess...? :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

And I honestly hope you’re right; we DON’T need to see it.  But sometimes the obvious is too tempting to ignore; especially in a prequel.

“Rebels” certainly is a pleasant little surprise; takes a while to get up to speed, but by the end of S2 it has moments that rival the movies.

And yes, I’m reserving judgment till I see “The Last Jedi”; I’m just hopelessly optimistic, I guess...? :P

Me too. Being optimistic is never hopeless. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Yow. I'm glad Phlox only ever smiled that way once!

Yes, indeed.  It is possibly the single creepiest moment in the entire run of ENT.  So naturally I reused it...:P :giggle:

But regarding use of Han's backstory in the new movie?  While I agree that we don't need to see things that were pretty well covered in dialogue all laid out before us like a 5 course breakfast that no one wants, I also think the temptation to use that low-hanging pre-made story fruit will prove too much.

That said, it can still be done well.   For instance, that single paragraph from the opening crawl of SW77 ("Rebels striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil galactic Empire.  During the battle, rebel spies...." ) was incredibly well-realized and brought to vivid life by John Knoll and Gareth Edwards in Rogue One.

So, while I agree that many things are better left to a line of dialogue, I just hope that they do these moments as well as the Rogue One team did.  The battle at Skariff was a truly exciting piece of the SW cinema, even if the outcome was pretty much fixed and inevitable.  Something tells me (at the very least) we'll see the Kessel Run, as it is referenced now in two SW movies (SW77 & TFA).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Yes, indeed.  It is possibly the single creepiest moment in the entire run of ENT.  So naturally I reused it...:P :giggle:

But regarding use of Han's backstory in the new movie?  While I agree that we don't need to see things that were pretty well covered in dialogue all laid out before us like a 5 course breakfast that no one wants, I also think the temptation to use that low-hanging pre-made story fruit will prove too much.

That said, it can still be done well.   For instance, that single paragraph from the opening crawl of SW77 ("Rebels striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil galactic Empire.  During the battle, rebel spies...." ) was incredibly well-realized and brought to vivid life by John Knoll and Gareth Edwards in Rogue One.

So, while I agree that many things are better left to a line of dialogue, I just hope that they do these moments as well as the Rogue One team did.  The battle at Skariff was a truly exciting piece of the SW cinema, even if the outcome was pretty much fixed and inevitable.  Something tells me (at the very least) we'll see the Kessel Run, as it is referenced now in two SW movies (SW77 & TFA).

Not disputing any of that. I think it's inevitable, and I agree that the fleshing out of a single line in SW77's crawl into a whole story was executed mostly very satisfyingly and with a lot of class. I expect anything Kasdan does in that vein to be moreso. It is also, however, to a certain extent, playing safe. Even if some of the main players are new, many characters aren't, and both R1 and the Solo film essentially rest on structures that the fanbase already knows. To a certain extent, even TFA does that, so I'm hoping The Last Jedi really takes a left turn and gives us something more along the lines of Rebels - still Star Wars, but throwing so much new mythology into the mix that we want to explore that, that we're enticed in by it.

When the spinoff films were announced, I did hope we'd be getting more movies of that nature - smaller, tighter films, perhaps not so vast in scope but set in the SW universe. I guess that may yet happen, further down the line, but recent behind-the-camera events all point to a tightening of the creative parameters as to what a "Star Wars" movies actually entails. So far, we have Rogue One, Han Solo and next up, Obi-Wan. I'm all for an Obi-Wan movie, but what about something a little left-of-center? How about unseen adventures of Ahsoka, or another rebel crew somewhere else in the galaxy fighting different aspects of the dark side of the Force? Young Maz Kanata, the siege of Mandalore, or just a film following the life and death of a Stormtrooper? There are so many possibilities. In time, I'd just like to see a broadening and deepening of the universe, not retellings of offscreen events that really were lines of expositional dialogue. That stuff is the connective tissue of storytelling, and it's fun to see it given shape, but in overall terms of the epic story of the galaxy, it doesn't really take you to new places.

But both The Clone Wars and Rebels TV shows really do - they gave you new characters to really care about, showed you new aspects to the Force, to the Rebellion and the Empire, showed you how both how similar and how alien the Star Wars universe is. That's what I want to see on the big screen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

Not disputing any of that. I think it's inevitable, and I agree that the fleshing out of a single line in SW77's crawl into a whole story was executed mostly very satisfyingly and with a lot of class. I expect anything Kasdan does in that vein to be moreso. It is also, however, to a certain extent, playing safe.

^ Very much agree.  I wish that they’d aim a bit higher, but I’m also assuming that they won’t.

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

Even if some of the main players are new, many characters aren't, and both R1 and the Solo film essentially rest on structures that the fanbase already knows. To a certain extent, even TFA does that, so I'm hoping The Last Jedi really takes a left turn and gives us something more along the lines of Rebels - still Star Wars, but throwing so much new mythology into the mix that we want to explore that, that we're enticed in by it.

^ Rebels has impressed me on this score.  Even when they throw in the occasional familiar face, it’s done so very organically to the Rebels’ story.   It just feels right.

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

When the spinoff films were announced, I did hope we'd be getting more movies of that nature - smaller, tighter films, perhaps not so vast in scope but set in the SW universe. I guess that may yet happen, further down the line, but recent behind-the-camera events all point to a tightening of the creative parameters as to what a "Star Wars" movies actually entails. So far, we have Rogue One, Han Solo and next up, Obi-Wan. I'm all for an Obi-Wan movie, but what about something a little left-of-center? How about unseen adventures of Ahsoka, or another rebel crew somewhere else in the galaxy fighting different aspects of the dark side of the Force? Young Maz Kanata, the siege of Mandalore, or just a film following the life and death of a Stormtrooper?

I might have something for you on that last request...:giggle:

^

This is (easily) my favorite SW fan film of them all.   Loved the trooper with the midwestern accent...:laugh:

2 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

But both The Clone Wars and Rebels TV shows really do - they gave you new characters to really care about, showed you new aspects to the Force, to the Rebellion and the Empire, showed you how both how similar and how alien the Star Wars universe is. That's what I want to see on the big screen.

Right.  Something that expands the universe, but doesn’t forget what made that universe so intriguing in the first place (a balancing act the prequels failed).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^ Very much agree.  I wish that they’d aim a bit higher, but I’m also assuming that they won’t.


...

Right.  Something that expands the universe, but doesn’t forget what made that universe so intriguing in the first place (a balancing act the prequels failed).

Ha! I've seen Troops (more than once!) and loved it. It also proves that a broader SW comedy works! I mean, I dunno if LF could go this broad (reading between the lines, sounds as if Lord and Miller may have tried) but I reckon it could work with the right characters.

But yeah. I'm thinking that Han Solo is going to be played much straighter than Lord and Miller envisaged it, the humorous aspects of the Han Solo character notwithstanding. Obi-Wan's pretty straight-laced anyway, even if you get Ewan McGregor to play him (who is brilliant at comedy). It'll be drama with some funny bits.

...But expanding the universe? Keep wishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Ha! I've seen Troops (more than once!) and loved it. It also proves that a broader SW comedy works! I mean, I dunno if LF could go this broad (reading between the lines, sounds as if Lord and Miller may have tried) but I reckon it could work with the right characters.

But yeah. I'm thinking that Han Solo is going to be played much straighter than Lord and Miller envisaged it, the humorous aspects of the Han Solo character notwithstanding. Obi-Wan's pretty straight-laced anyway, even if you get Ewan McGregor to play him (who is brilliant at comedy). It'll be drama with some funny bits.

...But expanding the universe? Keep wishing.

I'm this [ ] close to making "Troops" head-canon...:laugh:

And yes, McGregor has great comedy chops, I agree.  :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this