Sign in to follow this  
Robin Bland

Star Wars: Han Solo Movie

Recommended Posts

A good story is a good story.  Shatner's tenure may be over, but that doesn't mean the prime universe has to be.  The fact that STD is returning to that universe shows that as well.

That's all well and good, but the stories that Pine and company signed up for are NEW adventures in the Kelvin timeline.  I'm pretty sure he didn't think Captain Kirk would be a lifelong gig, as it was for the TOS cast. 

And BTW, let's keep this a Star WARS thread.  

We're getting dangerously close to another thread derail here...

giphy.gif ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, if you think about it, colonel O'neil could have had plenty of movies to tell his story pre-stargate.  Londo seem slike he could have an entire trilogy to tell his tale, after all the centaury could be a very... Yes, I'm joking :giggle:. Sehlat is right, let's get out of track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, if you think about it, colonel O'neil could have had plenty of movies to tell his story pre-stargate.  Londo seem slike he could have an entire trilogy to tell his tale, after all the centaury could be a very... Yes, I'm joking :giggle:

tumblr_lx38bzt12i1qh59n0o6_250.gif  :laugh:

 

As far as the standalone Han Solo movie?  I, of course, look forward to it.   I have some faith that Disney (more or less) knows what it's doing.  But the idea of expanding the Solo 'pre-story' beyond one movie is a bit too much for me.  Again, I'm reminded of what happened with Vader in the prequels; his imaginary backstory in my head canon was better, and his mystique was forever deflated.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Han is still my favorite character, but I'm simply tired of hearing about what already has happened. Star Wars needs to go forward, not backwards. There is much to be told and much little that hasn't been already covered. People will hate me foe it, but here's my thoughts: ENOUGH OF DARTH VADER. I'M TIRED OF HIM FOR GOD SAKE. He was a tremendous villain. WAS. Vader is like, the core of SW. You think SW, people say VADER VADER VADER.

ENOOOOOOUUUUUGHHH!!!!!!!

I want to hear about our new characters. THE NEW CHARACTERS!!!!! 

I know ST got back to Kirk and Spock, but look all they've done in the mean time. They simply earned the chance to do a reboot. SW never did that. It just won't go forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Han is still my favorite character, but I'm simply tired of hearing about what already has happened. Star Wars needs to go forward, not backwards. There is much to be told and much little that hasn't been already covered. People will hate me foe it, but here's my thoughts: ENOUGH OF DARTH VADER. I'M TIRED OF HIM FOR GOD SAKE. He was a tremendous villain. WAS. Vader is like, the core of SW. You think SW, people say VADER VADER VADER.

ENOOOOOOUUUUUGHHH!!!!!!!

I want to hear about our new characters. THE NEW CHARACTERS!!!!! 

I know ST got back to Kirk and Spock, but look all they've done in the mean time. They simply earned the chance to do a reboot. SW never did that. It just won't go forward. 

It has the opportunity to do so now; with Episode VIII.

And Han is one of my favorites, too;  but yeah, it's time to move forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenman   

A good story is a good story.  Shatner's tenure may be over, but that doesn't mean the prime universe has to be.  The fact that STD is returning to that universe shows that as well.

DSC...and since it is returning, why must we go backwards nad have new Kirk and Spock stories. What would be the point?  We got 25 years of adventures for that crew.  A good story doesn't need to be revolved around Kirk and co. to be good. If it is a good story, it can be adapted for a new crew of DSC.

BOT: I agree that if they start just making a movie to fill in every little gap of the Star Wars universe, how boring and messy it would become.  Also, I know it was a joke...but as much as I personally enjoy Return of the Jedi, I'd hate a movie about Lando and Chewie making up their plan to save Han...because when you think about it I can't even figure out what the actual plan ever was, and how it all came together!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good story is a good story.  Shatner's tenure may be over, but that doesn't mean the prime universe has to be.  The fact that STD is returning to that universe shows that as well.

DSC...and since it is returning, why must we go backwards nad have new Kirk and Spock stories. What would be the point?  We got 25 years of adventures for that crew.  A good story doesn't need to be revolved around Kirk and co. to be good. If it is a good story, it can be adapted for a new crew of DSC.

BOT: I agree that if they start just making a movie to fill in every little gap of the Star Wars universe, how boring and messy it would become.  Also, I know it was a joke...but as much as I personally enjoy Return of the Jedi, I'd hate a movie about Lando and Chewie making up their plan to save Han...because when you think about it I can't even figure out what the actual plan ever was, and how it all came together!

Not to mention that if you start filling in every crack of the SW universe it will lose its mystery; i.e. The Clone Wars.  When I was a kid, I remember being quietly intrigued by Luke's casual mention of 'the clone wars.'   I thought it was so neat that the SW universe had all of these unseen corners, such as the aforementioned clone wars and even "spice mines of Kessel."   These fired my imagination.    

Kids who grow up with Star Wars today have it all laid out for them; almost every nook and cranny of the SW universe is going to be explained (and shown) ad nauseum.  There won't be any mysteries of this expansive universe for them; if they want to see a Kessel run?  Put in that cartoon.   If they're curious what Luke alluded to with "the clone wars"?  There's two movies, and at least two cartoon series that show the hell out of it.  

And sadly, none of it is really as interesting (or as organic) as I imagined it.

I'm not a writer, but as a kid?  I had a hell of an imagination... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First Official HAN SOLO Cast Image Released As The STAR WARS Spin-Off Commences Production

Principal photography on the young Han Solo movie is now officially underway, and an image of the main cast assembled has been released. See Alden Ehrenreich, Emilia Clarke, Chewie, and more

16819186_10212258927367543_6274213899158

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HAN SOLO Directors Reportedly Fired For Clashing With Kathleen Kennedy; Ron Howard Frontrunner To Replace Them?
 
More details on tonight's shocking Han Solo news have emerged, and it seems Lord & Miller were actually fired from the film by Kathleen Kennedy.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:
HAN SOLO Directors Reportedly Fired For Clashing With Kathleen Kennedy; Ron Howard Frontrunner To Replace Them?
 
More details on tonight's shocking Han Solo news have emerged, and it seems Lord & Miller were actually fired from the film by Kathleen Kennedy.
 

And now begins a new debate in SW fan circles; who fired first?  Was it Kathleen Kennedy...or was it Greedo? :giggle: :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenman   
26 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

And now begins a new debate in SW fan circles; who fired first?  Was it Kathleen Kennedy...or was it Greedo? :giggle: :P

Lord and Miller literally shot first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, it is weird.

Maybe the lesson is, don't piss off Lawrence Kasdan!

 

I guess if it turns out to be Joe Johnston as director rather than Howard, that's keeping it in the SW family...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Having just seen “Apollo 13” (again) fairy recently?  I think he just may be the man for the job.   He’s got a knack for character, a feel for space travel (realistic space travel; which is actually a lot harder to credibly depict than space opera), and he’s good wrangling large ensembles.    

An out-of-left-field choice, but no less valid IMO. 

To quote a minor character in Apollo 13, “I think we got it, buddy!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenman   
1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Having just seen “Apollo 13” (again) fairy recently?  I think he just may be the man for the job.   He’s got a knack for character, a feel for space travel (realistic space travel; which is actually a lot harder to credibly depict than space opera), and he’s good wrangling large ensembles.    

An out-of-left-field choice, but no less valid IMO. 

To quote a minor character in Apollo 13, “I think we got it, buddy!"

But Howard has clout, and he probably wouldn't be pushed around by Lucasfilm...and to come in and finish a movie that is already mid-production?  He is a filmmaker, and in now way will this be a "Ron Howard" film.  Seems more an odd choice for HIM to go for it than it is for them to want his name slapped on it.  But he isn't totally outside of the Lucasfilm realm, he did direct Willow.  It just seems odd for where he is now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kenman said:

But Howard has clout, and he probably wouldn't be pushed around by Lucasfilm...and to come in and finish a movie that is already mid-production?  He is a filmmaker, and in now way will this be a "Ron Howard" film.  Seems more an odd choice for HIM to go for it than it is for them to want his name slapped on it.  But he isn't totally outside of the Lucasfilm realm, he did direct Willow.  It just seems odd for where he is now.  

I don't think he's too much of an auteur to want to tackle a SW movie.   He's said many times in print and other media that SW changed his life and helped lock him on course to making films; he literally got right back in line to see it again after leaving the theatre.  Howard also came from the Roger Corman school of filmmaking; fast, cheap, 'guerilla'-style.  Anything for the cause. 

He'd probably think of the job as his nice little homage to the movie that originally inspired him, not as finishing someone else's leftovers.  Unorthodox perhaps, but this is the guy who shot a sizable chunk of a movie in a NASA free fall plane just to get convincing zero-G shots.  I'm not betting he will do it (it IS just a rumor), but I wouldn't be too surprised if he accepts the gig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenman   
55 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I don't think he's too much of an auteur to want to tackle a SW movie.   He's said many times in print and other media that SW changed his life and helped lock him on course to making films; he literally got right back in line to see it again after leaving the theatre.  Howard also came from the Roger Corman school of filmmaking; fast, cheap, 'guerilla'-style.  Anything for the cause. 

He'd probably think of the job as his nice little homage to the movie that originally inspired him, not as finishing someone else's leftovers.  Unorthodox perhaps, but this is the guy who shot a sizable chunk of a movie in a NASA free fall plane just to get convincing zero-G shots.  I'm not betting he will do it (it IS just a rumor), but I wouldn't be too surprised if he accepts the gig.

It seems too unlikely for him to not want some control of pre-production.  Coming in and finishing a film just doesn't seem like him. I could see him running a Star Wars flick from beginning to end, but I just think this seems a bit...off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After 4 months of shooting what's left to direct? Editing and some pick-ups?

You need Ron Howard for that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this