Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Robin Bland

Star Wars: Han Solo Movie

151 posts in this topic

My fear with the concept of a Jedi mind trick or a Jedi that never uses his or her power is that it just cuts it too close and is unnecessary. Plus, the implication is he never saw anything remotely close to it outside of charlatans. This would come dangerously close to the Obi-Wan/Yoda debacle. In ESB, Obi-Wan says Yoda trained him which elicited imagery of Yoda actually training him. Well, thanks to the PT, we learned what Obi-Wan really meant was he was in Yoda's kindergarten class as a "Youngling". Does it "technically" fit? Yes. Is it stupid? Emphatically yes.

Besides, by this point in time, the Jedi should be gone from the galaxy minus some hidden stragglers. That is one other thing I hate about the PT. Lucas made Jedi everywhere. Everyone knows what a Jedi is - even a young slave Anakin out in the butt crack of the galaxy. They should have been waning completely and virtually non-existant even by even TPM.

I think it is just considered risky to do Star Wars without a Jedi somewhere. I've seen people getting nervous about Rogue One and how they need to at least have a Darth Vader/Palpatine cameo to have Force users involved. Otherwise "it's not really Star Wars". Meh. I disagree.

^
Great post, and I pretty much agree on everything in it.

I remember in the first "EU" novel (1978's "Splinter of the Mind's Eye") there was a force-charlatan named "Halla" who turned out to be a 'force-fraud.'  I imagine that Solo probably ran into a few like her in his time.  

But given that the prequels showed Jedi to be about as common as the cold virus, the idea that a 'post-prequelized' younger Solo would never have encountered anything like them in his lifetime (even as a child) is kind of absurd.  And in only 20 years they'd become so scarce and disbelieved to be regarded as mythical (?).  

So now SW fandom is seemingly divided between the prequelized SW universe where the Jedi were everywhere and magic was a daily part of life, or we accept the OT's conceit that they were rarely used legends; more like Knights of Excalibur or ninjas rather than foot soldiers who helped settle trade disputes (!).   The OT's version seems to be that not many people ever actually saw them.

Personally I prefer the more agnostic approach of ANH and TFA, as it makes the newer characters' discovery of this 'secret society' all the more compelling.   I hope "Rogue One" and the Young Solo movie take this approach and just ignore the damn prequels. 

And yes, once again a heartfelt 'screw you' to the prequels; for messing up yet another piece of SW lore for us...:P 

I LOVE the idea of a "force-fraud". I wish there had been more of those in the PT. Or people that use technology but "fancy" it up to make it look magical. Which would strengthen Han's skepticism about this! I really need to read that book you mentioned.

I like analogy of them being knights that were "special". A unique order rather than them, as you perfectly stated, being out settling trade disputes. This makes me wish you made the PT.

I hope so too! :D

My fear with the concept of a Jedi mind trick or a Jedi that never uses his or her power is that it just cuts it too close and is unnecessary. Plus, the implication is he never saw anything remotely close to it outside of charlatans. This would come dangerously close to the Obi-Wan/Yoda debacle. In ESB, Obi-Wan says Yoda trained him which elicited imagery of Yoda actually training him. Well, thanks to the PT, we learned what Obi-Wan really meant was he was in Yoda's kindergarten class as a "Youngling". Does it "technically" fit? Yes. Is it stupid? Emphatically yes.

Besides, by this point in time, the Jedi should be gone from the galaxy minus some hidden stragglers. That is one other thing I hate about the PT. Lucas made Jedi everywhere. Everyone knows what a Jedi is - even a young slave Anakin out in the butt crack of the galaxy. They should have been waning completely and virtually non-existant even by even TPM.

I think it is just considered risky to do Star Wars without a Jedi somewhere. I've seen people getting nervous about Rogue One and how they need to at least have a Darth Vader/Palpatine cameo to have Force users involved. Otherwise "it's not really Star Wars". Meh. I disagree.

^
Great post, and I pretty much agree on everything in it.

I remember in the first "EU" novel (1978's "Splinter of the Mind's Eye") there was a force-charlatan named "Halla" who turned out to be a 'force-fraud.'  I imagine that Solo probably ran into a few like her in his time.  

But given that the prequels showed Jedi to be about as common as the cold virus, the idea that a 'post-prequelized' younger Solo would never have encountered anything like them in his lifetime (even as a child) is kind of absurd.  And in only 20 years they'd become so scarce and disbelieved to be regarded as mythical (?).  

So now SW fandom is seemingly divided between the prequelized SW universe where the Jedi were everywhere and magic was a daily part of life, or we accept the OT's conceit that they were rarely used legends; more like Knights of Excalibur or ninjas rather than foot soldiers who helped settle trade disputes (!).   The OT's version seems to be that not many people ever actually saw them.

Personally I prefer the more agnostic approach of ANH and TFA, as it makes the newer characters' discovery of this 'secret society' all the more compelling.   I hope "Rogue One" and the Young Solo movie take this approach and just ignore the damn prequels. 

And yes, once again a heartfelt 'screw you' to the prequels; for messing up yet another piece of SW lore for us...:P 

I LOVE the idea of a "force-fraud". I wish there had been more of those in the PT. Or people that use technology but "fancy" it up to make it look magical. Which would strengthen Han's skepticism about this! I really need to read that book you mentioned.

I like analogy of them being knights that were "special". A unique order rather than them, as you perfectly stated, being out settling trade disputes. This makes me wish you made the PT.

Once again, you flatter me Founder... :P

Weyoun.jpeg 

Aw come one, Hollywood... I practically cast the movie for you (see: previous page in thread for details)!  :laugh:

?format=1000w

The guy already played a young Harrison Ford once... and he was great, too. 

All I can say is that Emory Cohen has some chops...

...and Miles Teller ain't happenin'.

Of these actors, the only one I think I've truly seen acting is Teller. I liked the two movies I saw him in ("The Spectacular Now" and the phenomenal "Whiplash"), but he is totally wrong for the part of Han Solo.  Doesn't look the part and doesn't have that spark or demeanor at all.  I'm not sure any of these guys look like Harrison Ford, with the exception of Vie's suggestion.  Scott Eastwood looks a little too much like his dad for me to think of him as a young Han Solo.

I can give a little on looks, what's more important is Han's style.

But Teller is totally wrong.

Agree - capturing his insouciance, his charm, something harder-edged in a younger version that would disguise the elements that bloom into loyalty and compassion when he later meets Leia and Luke.

Wonder of Eastwood has the chops? Because of his Hollywood pedigree, I wonder if he'll be cast...

Still like Vie's option.

I have a hard time believing any young actor is gonna capture it perfectly.  Ford in his prime is a hard act to follow. 

Agree - capturing his insouciance, his charm, something harder-edged in a younger version that would disguise the elements that bloom into loyalty and compassion when he later meets Leia and Luke.

Wonder of Eastwood has the chops? Because of his Hollywood pedigree, I wonder if he'll be cast...

Still like Vie's option.

I have a hard time believing any young actor is gonna capture it perfectly.  Ford in his prime is a hard act to follow. 

Anthony Ingruber, from "Age of Adeline" (my choice for young Han) was absolutely spot on; not just the face and voice (even the smirk), but he also nailed young Ford's confidence.  He could do Han Solo in his sleep.  In fact, as I watched him in the movie AOA, I kept imagining him alongside Chewbacca on a slightly more pristine Millennium Falcon...:laugh:

I know my personal casting choice doesn't mean squat to Disney, but if anyone from Disney/Lucasfilm out there is reading this?  You could do a LOT worse (and from the choices above?  I'd say a lot worse seems to be an option for them...).   And to be honest?  NONE of those studio-picked guys above seem right for Han.   I would hope that if they cast another actor in the role, that at least he would have acting chops.   Miles Teller looks all wrong for the part; and from what little I saw in "Fantastic Four"?  I wouldn't want him anywhere near the role. 

And I wouldn't cast too young either; a 17-20 year old would be a bit too close to prequel trilogy territory for my comfort level.  24-30 would be about right (Ingruber is 25, according to IMDB).  

Not to be so ageist and specific (normally I'm more about the actor's talent than their looks), but considering the money invested in purchasing Lucasfilm and the current wave of good karma Disney has created with TFA?  It absolutely HAS to get these 'mini-prequels' just right.  Otherwise, the backlash would really hurt and you'll have armies of fans screaming that 'the mouse' screwed up Star Wars...

Still like Vie's option.

Anthony Ingruber, from "Age of Adeline" (my choice for young Han) was absolutely spot on; not just the face and voice (even the smirk), but he also nailed young Ford's confidence.  He could do Han Solo in his sleep.  In fact, as I watched him in the movie AOA, I kept imagining him alongside Chewbacca on a slightly more pristine Millennium Falcon...:laugh:

I know my personal casting choice doesn't mean squat to Disney, but if anyone from Disney/Lucasfilm out there is reading this?  You could do a LOT worse (and from the choices above?  I'd say a lot worse seems to be an option for them...).   And to be honest?  NONE of those studio-picked guys above seem right for Han.   I would hope that if they cast another actor in the role, that at least he would have acting chops.   Miles Teller looks all wrong for the part; and from what little I saw in "Fantastic Four"?  I wouldn't want him anywhere near the role. 

And I wouldn't cast too young either; a 17-20 year old would be a bit too close to prequel trilogy territory for my comfort level.  24-30 would be about right (Ingruber is 25, according to IMDB).  

Not to be so ageist and specific (normally I'm more about the actor's talent than their looks), but considering the money invested in purchasing Lucasfilm and the current wave of good karma Disney has created with TFA?  It absolutely HAS to get these 'mini-prequels' just right.  Otherwise, the backlash would really hurt and you'll have armies of fans screaming that 'the mouse' screwed up Star Wars...

Spot on.

Time to join Twitter and start a campaign!

Still like Vie's option.

Spot on.

But social media goes against my general order one: the 'non-giving a damn' directive... :P:laugh:

4b478f60b95ab7eb415f2eb20c9d17ce.jpg

Still like Vie's option.

Spot on.

But social media goes against my general order one: the 'non-giving a damn' directive... :P:laugh:

4b478f60b95ab7eb415f2eb20c9d17ce.jpg

It's awful. :)

But never mind - someone's done it for you:

http://www.themarysue.com/ingruber-for-han-solo/

If Disney don't just hand him the part now (see the video where he mimics Solo), there's no justice.

Except that I don't really want or need an impressionist.

Actually, if you saw "Age of Adeline"?  He really gave a thorough performance as a young Ford; it wasn't just an impersonation.   It was dimensional in a way I didn't expect.  Normally I'm not one for nightclub impersonations masquerading as performance either, but Ingruber as a young Ford was very much an exception.   That he looks so much like Ford is just gravy.

Reminded me of when young (and sadly late) River Phoenix played both young Indy Jones ("IJ and Last Crusade") and Ford's own son in "Mosquito Coast"; he not only looked like Ford (a little bit, anyway) but he also had the chops; I'd say the same for this kid.

But never mind - someone's done it for you:

http://www.themarysue.com/ingruber-for-han-solo/

If Disney don't just hand him the part now (see the video where he mimics Solo), there's no justice.

Thank you, Anonymous Tweeter.... you saved me from a condemned life of Tweeting my every bowel movement.  :laugh: 

Can't speak to that as I haven't actually seen Age of Adaline other than that short clip - which looks to me to be a fully-fledged character performance - physically, he gets a younger HF down, but brings his own thing. And otherwise, I'll take Vie's word for it. The mimicry clip looked like someone showing his love for SW to me.

Can't speak to that as I haven't actually seen Age of Adaline other than that short clip - which looks to me to be a fully-fledged character performance - physically, he gets a younger HF down, but brings his own thing. And otherwise, I'll take Vie's word for it. The mimicry clip looked like someone showing his love for SW to me.

And in AoA he was playing a young version of Ford's character, not Han Solo... but yes, his Solo impersonation could easily be tailored into a real performance with little effort.  The kid's got the chops. 

Interesting article on why the Han Solo movie is just a bad idea; and I can't say I disagree with any of the reasons given, either:

Gamesradar.com/Why the young Han Solo movie is a bad idea

The most compelling point is that Solo's arc as a character doesn't really begin till Star Wars (1977); before that, he's just a shady, cynical smuggler.   Interesting yes, but worth a whole movie?  Not so sure.

Another compelling point is that if you don't cast too young (ala Jake Lloyd), you're left with a very limited window, casting-wise.   Harrison Ford was only about 34 or so when he made the first movie (and his character was supposed to be about 30).   Not a lot of wiggle room really, if the movie and star are hits.  

I'm not saying the idea is completely without merit, but like all prequels (which I'm generally leery of) it's that damned 'knowing how it all ends' syndrome which dampens a lot of the suspense and/or surprise for me.   You're basically just waiting for events to unfold to get to a conclusion you already know.    I mean, how could the movie end, anyway?  A triumphant Han Solo as he completes the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs?   Yeah... thrilling stuff there.  Especially since we knew the ending almost 40 years ago (!)...

Interesting article on why the Han Solo movie is just a bad idea; and I can't say I disagree with any of the reasons given, either:

The most compelling point is that Solo's arc as a character doesn't really begin till Star Wars (1977); before that, he's just a shady, cynical smuggler.   Interesting yes, but worth a whole movie?  Not so sure.

Another compelling point is that if you don't cast too young (ala Jake Lloyd), you're left with a very limited window, casting-wise.   Harrison Ford was only about 34 or so when he made the first movie (and his character was supposed to be about 30).   Not a lot of wiggle room really, if the movie and star are hits.  

I'm not saying the idea is completely without merit, but like all prequels (which I'm generally leery of) it's that damned 'knowing how it all ends' syndrome which dampens a lot of the suspense and/or surprise for me.   You're basically just waiting for events to unfold to get to a conclusion you already know.    I mean, how could the movie end, anyway?  A triumphant Han Solo as he completes the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs?   Yeah... thrilling stuff there.  Especially since we knew the ending almost 40 years ago (!)...

that's a really good article, and I don't disagree with it either. Pretty much outlines my fears right there. 

But a talented storyteller - Kasdan, in this case - will find a way of making a story like this compelling. If Solo was just a cynical smuggler - all the time - before ANH, he'd be pretty one-note. As we know, there is much more to the man (and the character) than first meets the eye. Maybe there's another story about how and why he became cynical while still relatively young. 

I don't really want to know how he meets Chewie or wins the Falcon and I sort of hope the movie avoids all that stuff, as it's a trap - it'll never meet tHe expectations of fan imagination. So I'm hoping they're wise and will take a different route. 

that's a really good article, and I don't disagree with it either. Pretty much outlines my fears right there. 

But a talented storyteller - Kasdan, in this case - will find a way of making a story like this compelling. If Solo was just a cynical smuggler - all the time - before ANH, he'd be pretty one-note. As we know, there is much more to the man (and the character) than first meets the eye. Maybe there's another story about how and why he became cynical while still relatively young. 

I don't really want to know how he meets Chewie or wins the Falcon and I sort of hope the movie avoids all that stuff, as it's a trap - it'll never meet tHe expectations of fan imagination. So I'm hoping they're wise and will take a different route. 

Although I'm generally leery of prequels, the story of how Han and Chewie met should be an interesting tale, if nothing else.   Since the Expanded Universe books no longer count, the story of Han rescuing Chewie from Imperial torture (when Han was an Imperial naval officer) is not necessarily set in stone anymore.  

Although I have to admit, the idea of Han defecting from the Imperial navy and rescuing his future partner in the process would make for a nice standalone story, if they decide to use that source material.  

****** TFA SPOILERS AHEAD!  SHIELDS UP IF YOU STILL HAVEN'T SEEN IT!! *****

TFA did keep the idea of Han and Leia having a child together who turns to the dark side (ala Jacen Solo) so it's possible Kasdan might use some elements from the EU novels without being overt.

It'd also give Han's understanding and sympathy for Finn a bit more resonance; as it was implied the two understood each other (or at least Han understood where Finn was coming from).   Maybe Han's story was similar to Finn's. 

Although I'm generally leery of prequels, the story of how Han and Chewie met should be an interesting tale, if nothing else.   Since the Expanded Universe books no longer count, the story of Han rescuing Chewie from Imperial torture (when Han was an Imperial naval officer) is not necessarily set in stone anymore.  

Although I have to admit, the idea of Han defecting from the Imperial navy and rescuing his future partner in the process would make for a nice standalone story, if they decide to use that source material.  

****** TFA SPOILERS AHEAD!  SHIELDS UP IF YOU STILL HAVEN'T SEEN IT!! *****

TFA did keep the idea of Han and Leia having a child together who turns to the dark side (ala Jacen Solo) so it's possible Kasdan might use some elements from the EU novels without being overt.

It'd also give Han's understanding and sympathy for Finn a bit more resonance; as it was implied the two understood each other (or at least Han understood where Finn was coming from).   Maybe Han's story was similar to Finn's. 

I could totally live with all of that. I could never quite square that idea of Han being in the Imoerial Navy with the character we met later, buts hats clear from the stuff cut from ANH with Biggs is that the Empire routinely drafted the best and brightest from star academies, so there's certainly elements  of that story that are untold. 

A very useful framing device to make it all work is to actually get Harrison Ford back and get him to "tell" the story (before the events of TFA, of course). 

Well, maybe these finalists have qualities that the casting directors are privy to that we aren't; let's hope so, anyway.  :)

Ingruber was just amazing as a younger Ford in "Age of Adeline"; after I saw that performance all I could think was, 'Someone has to get this kid for either Indiana Jones or Star Wars quick!'  Alas, it didn't happen...

Well, maybe these finalists have qualities that the casting directors are privy to that we aren't; let's hope so, anyway.  :)

Ingruber was just amazing as a younger Ford in "Age of Adeline"; after I saw that performance all I could think was, 'Someone has to get this kid for either Indiana Jones or Star Wars quick!'  Alas, it didn't happen...

Funny you should say that -= guess you saw the news about Indy 5...?

http://www.slashfilm.com/indiana-jones-5/

You're right about the the three actors - must always keep an open mind... :happy:

Funny you should say that -= guess you saw the news about Indy 5...?

http://www.slashfilm.com/indiana-jones-5/

You're right about the the three actors - must always keep an open mind... :happy:

As long as it's not the kid from Fantastic Four (Teller whatever his name is); he's not that great an actor, and he looks even less like a young Harrison Ford than I do... :laugh:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0