Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Robin Bland

Star Wars: Han Solo Movie

134 posts in this topic

I thought this deserved its own thread, no...? 

Kasdan on when the movie will be set in the Star Wars timeline:

http://www.sogeekinawesome.com/star-wars-han-solo-movie-details/

Hmmm.... 10 years before ANH then.  That means they're going to have to find a 20something Harrison Ford-type.  

Well, if anyone here (besides me) sat through the mediocrity that was "Age of Adeline" (don't ask; I was curious...)?  That movie had the PERFECT choice to play a young Harrison Ford; his name is Anthony Ingruber.   He even SOUNDS like him; not kidding.   He played a younger version of Ford's heartbroken ex of Adeline; now a 60-70 something year old man, forced to relive his past when his still-youthful ex Adeline (played by Blake Lively) falls for his son.  

Anyway, forget the soap opera/Twilight Zone plot of AOA; the point is, both Ford and Ingruber really FELT like they were the same person at different stages of life.   This actor (who's about 25 or so) would be the right age to play a young Solo, he sounds like him, and he has acting chops.

anthony_ingruber_2.JPG

This is a publicity still from the AOA movie:

?format=1000w

^
Me thinks the choice is clear... ;)

I really cannot get into these sub-Star Wars movies. Han Solo doesn't need his own movie...I mean he practically just got one in TFA.  And that had the legit Han Solo in it.  I don't need a Young Han Solo movie. I think it's a shame that Star Wars has to be run into the ground now with a stupid movie every year. 

I thought this deserved its own thread, no...? 

Kasdan on when the movie will be set in the Star Wars timeline:

http://www.sogeekinawesome.com/star-wars-han-solo-movie-details/

Hmmm.... 10 years before ANH then.  That means they're going to have to find a 20something Harrison Ford-type.  

Well, if anyone here (besides me) sat through the mediocrity that was "Age of Adeline" (don't ask; I was curious...)?  That movie had the PERFECT choice to play a young Harrison Ford; his name is Anthony Ingruber.   He even SOUNDS like him; not kidding.   He played a younger version of Ford's heartbroken ex of Adeline; now a 60-70 something year old man, forced to relive his past when his still-youthful ex Adeline (played by Blake Lively) falls for his son.  

Anyway, forget the soap opera/Twilight Zone plot of AOA; the point is, both Ford and Ingruber really FELT like they were the same person at different stages of life.   This actor (who's about 25 or so) would be the right age to play a young Solo, he sounds like him, and he has acting chops.

anthony_ingruber_2.JPG

This is a publicity still from the AOA movie:

?format=1000w

^
Me thinks the choice is clear... ;)

I haven't seen that movie but I agree - he looks like the perfect choice. The real test is whether he can put his own spin on an iconic character like Han Solo. Of course, I bet Disney hope he (or whomever is cast) can, so they can spin off more.

I used not to be big on recasting iconic roles (Doctor Who and James Bond notwithstanding) but it really depends on both the actor concerned and the production; whether they can sell it to you. And this guy really does have something of a younger Harrison Ford about him. It's maybe just a question of whether they get him for the fifth Indiana Jones pic first... ;)

I really cannot get into these sub-Star Wars movies. Han Solo doesn't need his own movie...I mean he practically just got one in TFA.  And that had the legit Han Solo in it.  I don't need a Young Han Solo movie. I think it's a shame that Star Wars has to be run into the ground now with a stupid movie every year. 

You don't have to go see it, KM! I'm personally not big on prequels at all, but on this occasion, for some reason, this quite appeals to me. I'm a big fan of Lawrence Kasdan, is probably why, and I'm really into the fact that these big productions are getting honest-to-goodness great screenwriters involved. If anyone can craft  something worth seeing, it's he. I'll judge this one on its own merits. It's a cynical world, and there's been too much garbage for too long, but right now I'm entirely happy for Disney to work hard to entertain me, as they did with TFA. So, meantime, in happy Star Wars mode, I'm looking forward to this!

To be honest, I used to feel the same way about prequels as Kenman, and for most I still do.   But there are rare exceptions, and seeing how expertly Disney handled their first Star Wars outing?  I suspect the franchise's movie future is in good hands.

I'd have to see it to both make my own judgment and to see if Disney handles SW prequels better or worse than Lucas did.

I think I am far more interested in seeing where episode VIII and the like take me, than just filler made purely to keep audience interest in Star Wars in the years a movie doesn't come out.  To me it seems more cynical to plan on making several movies without any real ideas beforehand.  A release date before script doesn't seem artistically worthwhile in my opinion.  I could be proven wrong, but I think the side stories are a wait until blu-ray deal for me.  I'll go to the theater for the main events. 

I think I am far more interested in seeing where episode VIII and the like take me, than just filler made purely to keep audience interest in Star Wars in the years a movie doesn't come out.  To me it seems more cynical to plan on making several movies without any real ideas beforehand.  A release date before script doesn't seem artistically worthwhile in my opinion.  I could be proven wrong, but I think the side stories are a wait until blu-ray deal for me.  I'll go to the theater for the main events. 

I agree that I'm more interested in E8 than a prequel, but if the prequel is well done then why not?   The proof will be in the pudding.

If Rogue One sucks and does poorly, I'm pretty certain it'd put the kibosh on a Han prequel.   My only concern is more one of market confusion; I wonder how many people going to see Rogue One or the Han movie will realize that it's NOT the next chapter in the story?   

A release date before script doesn't seem artistically worthwhile in my opinion...

That's not uncommon, but broadly speaking, I agree. But I'm not going to condemn it this early in the game.

I agree that I'm more interested in E8 than a prequel, but if the prequel is well done then why not?   The proof will be in the pudding.

If Rogue One sucks and does poorly, I'm pretty certain it'd put the kibosh on a Han prequel.   My only concern is more one of market confusion; I wonder how many people going to see Rogue One or the Han movie will realize that it's NOT the next chapter in the story?   

I think Disney Marketing will manage just fine in communicating that to even the most idiotic of potential audience members.

And yeah, I'm more interested in E8 than anything else. On the other hand, if this and Rogue One turn up and they're quality goods, why not? I don't want the well or people's goodwill to run dry, but if Disney expand the SW universe responsibly and creatively... I'll go see good movies! 

I'm not saying it needs condemnation, but I can only get to the movies so often, so I've become quite discerning in what I'll pay to go see.  Things like this, that have begun to feel more like a product?  I'm willing to wait until it hits my local library.  I've gotten pretty good at requesting the preorders my library gets early enough that I am pretty high on the list! 

I'm not saying it will be horrible, I just don't really care about the backstory to everything.  That goes beyond Star Wars, I don't need to know how everyone got into their place before the movie started.  I don't really care how people stole the plans for the Death Star.  Just a personal thing, it isn't a story that compels me to get to the theater. I am sure Disney will produce a decent enough product, it just isn't a product I've currently much interest in seeing come to life.  To me this is like those Ewok TV movies...I don't really care about them on any real level...but I checked them out for pure curiosity sake once (and for the record the second one with Wilfred Brimley is unintentionally hilarious!).  I know the plans to the Death Star got stolen. That is all I need.  How it happened is of no consequence to me.  It may be an enjoyable Star Warsy heist movie, but I won't pay to see it.  Just as I didn't pay to see Jurassic World, or Terminator: Gynysys...I saw them as pointless rehashes of things I've seen before.  I waited til they were at my library...and they both kind of felt exactly like that to me.  The Marvel movies feel more manufactured now than they did, they have a distinct assembly line feel. They can still be fun, but more and more they just seem like products in a line with no real endgame. Since the same company (though not necessarily the same folks) is behind the new Star Wars movie factory?  I can't say that these things wont begin to crack under the weight of their own nonsense too.  That is sadly what I feel is going to happen to all these so-called cinematic universes. 

I currently don't have an interest in watching EVERYTHING with a Star Wars label that comes out in the theater. I will probably see the main stuff, and maybe if friends or somebody wants to go to these other things I might go...but I must admit that is a very rare thing for me these days...as all my movie buddies live in another city 2 1/2 hours away.

I'm not saying it needs condemnation, but I can only get to the movies so often, so I've become quite discerning in what I'll pay to go see.  Things like this, that have begun to feel more like a product?  I'm willing to wait until it hits my local library.  I've gotten pretty good at requesting the preorders my library gets early enough that I am pretty high on the list! 

I'm not saying it will be horrible, I just don't really care about the backstory to everything.  That goes beyond Star Wars, I don't need to know how everyone got into their place before the movie started.  I don't really care how people stole the plans for the Death Star.  Just a personal thing, it isn't a story that compels me to get to the theater. I am sure Disney will produce a decent enough product, it just isn't a product I've currently much interest in seeing come to life.  To me this is like those Ewok TV movies...I don't really care about them on any real level...but I checked them out for pure curiosity sake once (and for the record the second one with Wilfred Brimley is unintentionally hilarious!).  I know the plans to the Death Star got stolen. That is all I need.  How it happened is of no consequence to me.  It may be an enjoyable Star Warsy heist movie, but I won't pay to see it.  Just as I didn't pay to see Jurassic World, or Terminator: Gynysys...I saw them as pointless rehashes of things I've seen before.  I waited til they were at my library...and they both kind of felt exactly like that to me.  The Marvel movies feel more manufactured now than they did, they have a distinct assembly line feel. They can still be fun, but more and more they just seem like products in a line with no real endgame. Since the same company (though not necessarily the same folks) is behind the new Star Wars movie factory?  I can't say that these things wont begin to crack under the weight of their own nonsense too.  That is sadly what I feel is going to happen to all these so-called cinematic universes. 

I currently don't have an interest in watching EVERYTHING with a Star Wars label that comes out in the theater. I will probably see the main stuff, and maybe if friends or somebody wants to go to these other things I might go...but I must admit that is a very rare thing for me these days...as all my movie buddies live in another city 2 1/2 hours away.

Yup! :) Got it first time, my friend.

Horses for courses, and all that.

Edited by Robin Bland

A release date before script doesn't seem artistically worthwhile in my opinion...

That's not uncommon, but broadly speaking, I agree. But I'm not going to condemn it this early in the game.

I think Disney Marketing will manage just fine in communicating that to even the most idiotic of potential audience members.

And yeah, I'm more interested in E8 than anything else. On the other hand, if this and Rogue One turn up and they're quality goods, why not? I don't want the well or people's goodwill to run dry, but if Disney expand the SW universe responsibly and creatively... I'll go see good movies! 

The Mouse can have a strong influence on the weak mind.... :giggle:

tumblr_na4nu2hYJQ1qe0jbao1_500.gif

"The standalone movies are not new chapters, but you will enjoy them anyway..."  :P

I'm looking forward to the solo films. When I was a kid, I read a lot of the EU that told the story of the other characters. Such as Tales from Mos Eisley. It really does make the universe feel more "rich".

My tiniest of concerns is . . . this is a prequel. So I am worried it'll suffer the same issue, amongst MANY, that I had with the PT. Overwriting established lore from the OT. Thankfully, very little of Han's past has been revealed. So . . . I am hoping this movie will be good but not trample too much on what has been established. For example, Han is CLEARLY a skeptic of the Force. So, he should not encounter Jedi or Sith or anything like that.

Sehlat - your choices are pretty good. They have Ford's smirk down.

The Mouse can have a strong influence on the weak mind.... :giggle:

tumblr_na4nu2hYJQ1qe0jbao1_500.gif

"The standalone movies are not new chapters, but you will enjoy them anyway..."  :P

I always loved the way Guinness did that; that little motion with his hand. It's just so good. Mesmerizingly so...

I'm looking forward to the solo films. When I was a kid, I read a lot of the EU that told the story of the other characters. Such as Tales from Mos Eisley. It really does make the universe feel more "rich".

My tiniest of concerns is . . . this is a prequel. So I am worried it'll suffer the same issue, amongst MANY, that I had with the PT. Overwriting established lore from the OT. Thankfully, very little of Han's past has been revealed. So . . . I am hoping this movie will be good but not trample too much on what has been established. For example, Han is CLEARLY a skeptic of the Force. So, he should not encounter Jedi or Sith or anything like that.

I read some of the very early ones, most especially the Han Solo books ("...At Star's End" was one of them, by Brian Daley; I forget the tiles of the others) and the Marvel comic series that did similar., filling in the blanks between the movies. They were the first to really expand upon the character of Jabba the Hutt, who unseen at that point onscreen so he was a green-skinned bipedal guy with big mutton chop sideburn-things. It was kind of a shock to see him portrayed as a giant slug in RotJ.

I think Han Solo might be insulated a little from the "prequel effect" in that we effectively know so little about his background, so this movie could effectively be an adventure detailing his early years in the Corellian system (The Five Brothers or whatever it's called). Absolutely no need for mystical elements except to reinforce his skepticism - but I would like to see him skilfully avoiding some "imperial entanglements."  Maybe seeing how he won the Millennium Falcon from Lando.

I surprise myself, actually, in how interested I am in this. it caught my imagination much more than the Rogue One film, but even there, I'm perfectly happy to see where they go with it. It's a big galaxy, after all.

Edited by Robin Bland

I'm honored, Founder. :laugh:

And I think that if Solo encounters a Jedi, it should be unknowingly so; as was his encounter with Kenobi.  And it should be an instance where a Jedi doesn't use any of his/her supernatural ability.   Otherwise his skepticism in ANH would be nullified.  Although it would be funny if a Jedi used the mind trick on him and he simply doesn't remember it as such (hehe).

And yes, I remember reading one of the earliest EU novels as a kid, "Han Solo at Star's End" (by future Star Wars' NPR radio play dramatist Brian Daley) and frankly I enjoyed it more than "Splinter of the Mind's Eye." 

As for my choice as Solo?  If you'd seen the guy in "Age of Adeline" you'd swear he was Harrison Ford's son.  It was uncanny; he could even do the voice.  And he was also a decent actor with acting chops.  For me, his role in AOA as the young version of Ford's character was more like an audition tape for the young Solo role.

I think Han Solo might be insulated a little from the "prequel effect" in that we effectively know so little about his background, so this movie could effectively be an adventure detailing his early years in the Corellian system (The Five Brothers or whatever it's called). Absolutely no need for mystical elements except to reinforce his skepticism - but I would like to see him skilfully avoiding some "imperial entanglements."  Maybe seeing how he won the Millennium Falcon from Lando.

I agree because clearly Solo had a very adventurous life before ANH that we know nothing about; and it would cover a largely unexplored area of the SW universe only hinted at in ANH.   What IS the life of a SW-era space smuggler like?  How do they exist under the oppressive thumb of the Empire? 

The tone would also be markedly different as well; I would see it as more "Firefly" than "Phantom Menace"; more nuts-and-bolts/space pirate-type stories and less magic guys in cloaks with lots of CGI effects.   Less magic, more moonshine. ;)

I always loved the way Guinness did that; that little motion with his hand. It's just so good. Mesmerizingly so...

So good.... mesmerizingly so.... :huh2:  

:P 

Interestingly enough, I usually like prequels, but I'm not sure the Han Solo movie is all that big of a deal to me.  The one movie I have NO interest in, but of course will probably see, is the Boba Fett movie. 

Most overrated character ever.  Again, just to point it out--all he ever did was make a phone call and get killed.

Oh man I REALLY don't want to see a Boba Fett movie. That character looks cool, but he doesn't really do or say much.  He isn't really a character, more of a set piece.  And for every person that likes him, I doubt they realize that the mystery that surrounded him in Empire was what made him cool in the first place.  Having a whole film based around him could only diminish his mystique (and as someone not enamored with the character, it really lacks any kind of appeal for me). 

I don't really see a problem if he encounters a Jedi or Sith, so long as they don't do anything tooo amazing. A jedi mind trick or small use of the force might not be that big a deal, like "did I really see that ... nah!"

He could just chalk it up as a magic trick and remain skeptical.  If he witnessed a full on saber duel with force-jumping and force-throwing of objects or what-not, that probably crosses the line.

Oh man I REALLY don't want to see a Boba Fett movie. That character looks cool, but he doesn't really do or say much.  He isn't really a character, more of a set piece.  And for every person that likes him, I doubt they realize that the mystery that surrounded him in Empire was what made him cool in the first place.  Having a whole film based around him could only diminish his mystique (and as someone not enamored with the character, it really lacks any kind of appeal for me). 

Interestingly enough, I usually like prequels, but I'm not sure the Han Solo movie is all that big of a deal to me.  The one movie I have NO interest in, but of course will probably see, is the Boba Fett movie. 

Most overrated character ever.  Again, just to point it out--all he ever did was make a phone call and get killed.

Boba Fett isn't a favorite of mine either; I remember sending off (with Kenner proofs-of-purchase) for the action figure in 1979; then "Empire" and later "Jedi" came out, and he was basically a Star Wars red shirt.  I felt a bit cheated, I must say.  

They promoted the hell out of him before "Empire" came out (besides the mail-in toy offer).  I remember "Darth Vader" and "Boba Fett" making an 'appearance' at a local mall in 1979 (just a couple of cosplayers, that was all; but they promoted it like the Second Coming).   I remember taking Polaroids of them and thinking Boba Fett was going to be amazing.   

Well, he wasn't.

It's almost comical how overrated Boba Fett is.  Could he be the most overrated character in any movie ever?

Unless they somehow find a way to have Boba Fett survive the pit, and I do think that's possible (once saw an awesome fan film scene that did that), what's the point?

Poor old Boba. Boring old Boba, fatuous ol' Fett. No-one loves you! Not even me. Yeah, he is overrated. Basically, it's his mystique - the guy with cool armor. 

Although, if they did a "bounty hunter" movie that also features the likes of Bossk and IG-88 in a sort of Magnificent Seven scenario, that might be fun. 

Fleshing out the corners of the SW universe doesn't have to be all about prequels, does it? As Kirok noted, they could go sideways. I'm wondering if that's the thinking with both the Rogue One and Han Solo movies - they're not exactly prequels as they don't necessarily need to dovetail seamlessly into existing continuity, they're more sidesteps. I'm into that. 

Poor old Boba. Boring old Boba, fatuous ol' Fett. No-one loves you! Not even me. Yeah, he is overrated. Basically, it's his mystique - the guy with cool armor. 

Although, if they did a "bounty hunter" movie that also features the likes of Bossk and IG-88 in a sort of Magnificent Seven scenario, that might be fun. 

Fleshing out the corners of the SW universe doesn't have to be all about prequels, does it? As Kirok noted, they could go sideways. I'm wondering if that's the thinking with both the Rogue One and Han Solo movies - they're not exactly prequels as they don't necessarily need to dovetail seamlessly into existing continuity, they're more sidesteps. I'm into that. 

Well, because of their timestamp (pre ANH), they're technically prequels; but yeah, I agree that they're more sideways explorations and not linear chapters of the saga. 

I know when I was a kid I wanted everything Fett. EP II kinda killed that with Jango and baby Fett. 

Sometimes, many times, less is more. 

I know when I was a kid I wanted everything Fett. EP II kinda killed that with Jango and baby Fett. 

Sometimes, many times, less is more. 

Attack of the Clones made me want to find my old Boba Fett action figure and throw it into quick sand...

I cannot understand the impulse of George Lucas to take iconic and even badass characters (like Vader and arguably Fett) and show them as whiny, bratty kids (!?).  Would it really have screwed with the order of things to show Anakin as a hotheaded teenaged pilot when Kenobi first met him (I'm thinking a Michael Fassbender type)?  

And why couldn't Lucas have shown Boba as an adult?  I mean, who knows how old he could've been under that mask?  His original voice actor (pre-Special Edition), the recently late actor Jason Wingreen, was in his early 60s when he recorded the part.  I don't understand the point of seeing all of the villains as stupid muppet babies... it just drains every ounce of badassery right out of them. 

My fear with the concept of a Jedi mind trick or a Jedi that never uses his or her power is that it just cuts it too close and is unnecessary. Plus, the implication is he never saw anything remotely close to it outside of charlatans. This would come dangerously close to the Obi-Wan/Yoda debacle. In ESB, Obi-Wan says Yoda trained him which elicited imagery of Yoda actually training him. Well, thanks to the PT, we learned what Obi-Wan really meant was he was in Yoda's kindergarten class as a "Youngling". Does it "technically" fit? Yes. Is it stupid? Emphatically yes.

Besides, by this point in time, the Jedi should be gone from the galaxy minus some hidden stragglers. That is one other thing I hate about the PT. Lucas made Jedi everywhere. Everyone knows what a Jedi is - even a young slave Anakin out in the butt crack of the galaxy. They should have been waning completely and virtually non-existant even by even TPM.

I think it is just considered risky to do Star Wars without a Jedi somewhere. I've seen people getting nervous about Rogue One and how they need to at least have a Darth Vader/Palpatine cameo to have Force users involved. Otherwise "it's not really Star Wars". Meh. I disagree.

My fear with the concept of a Jedi mind trick or a Jedi that never uses his or her power is that it just cuts it too close and is unnecessary. Plus, the implication is he never saw anything remotely close to it outside of charlatans. This would come dangerously close to the Obi-Wan/Yoda debacle. In ESB, Obi-Wan says Yoda trained him which elicited imagery of Yoda actually training him. Well, thanks to the PT, we learned what Obi-Wan really meant was he was in Yoda's kindergarten class as a "Youngling". Does it "technically" fit? Yes. Is it stupid? Emphatically yes.

Besides, by this point in time, the Jedi should be gone from the galaxy minus some hidden stragglers. That is one other thing I hate about the PT. Lucas made Jedi everywhere. Everyone knows what a Jedi is - even a young slave Anakin out in the butt crack of the galaxy. They should have been waning completely and virtually non-existant even by even TPM.

I think it is just considered risky to do Star Wars without a Jedi somewhere. I've seen people getting nervous about Rogue One and how they need to at least have a Darth Vader/Palpatine cameo to have Force users involved. Otherwise "it's not really Star Wars". Meh. I disagree.

^
Great post, and I pretty much agree on everything in it.

I remember in the first "EU" novel (1978's "Splinter of the Mind's Eye") there was a force-charlatan named "Halla" who turned out to be a 'force-fraud.'  I imagine that Solo probably ran into a few like her in his time.  

But given that the prequels showed Jedi to be about as common as the cold virus, the idea that a 'post-prequelized' younger Solo would never have encountered anything like them in his lifetime (even as a child) is kind of absurd.  And in only 20 years they'd become so scarce and disbelieved to be regarded as mythical (?).  

So now SW fandom is seemingly divided between the prequelized SW universe where the Jedi were everywhere and magic was a daily part of life, or we accept the OT's conceit that they were rarely used legends; more like Knights of Excalibur or ninjas rather than foot soldiers who helped settle trade disputes (!).   The OT's version seems to be that not many people ever actually saw them.

Personally I prefer the more agnostic approach of ANH and TFA, as it makes the newer characters' discovery of this 'secret society' all the more compelling.   I hope "Rogue One" and the Young Solo movie take this approach and just ignore the damn prequels. 

And yes, once again a heartfelt 'screw you' to the prequels; for messing up yet another piece of SW lore for us...:P 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0