Sign in to follow this  
StillKirok

General Star Wars Discussion

Anyone here remembers STAR WARS DARK EMPIRE, the SW saga which Dark Horse comics published in mid-1990s ? Why I think this comic books are so much better than the prequels, THE FORCE AWAKENS or anything Lucasfilm has done since 1997 ?

It consists of a six-issue comic book limited series written by Tom Veitch and drawn by Cam Kennedy (Dark Empire I), followed by a second six-issue limited series by Veitch and Kennedy (Dark Empire II) and a two-issue limited series written by Veitch and drawn by Jim Baikie (Empire's End). Dark Empire in particular, is notable for being one of the very first Star Wars comics to be produced by Dark Horse Comics, who had acquired the comic rights to the Star Wars franchise in the early 1990s.

Part of the Star Wars Expanded Universe, the trilogy follows events in the Star Wars franchise years after Return of the Jedi, specifically the aftereffects of Timothy Zahn's "Grand Admiral Thrawn" trilogy. The story deals with the return of the villainous Palpatine, having successfully cheated death by having his spiritual entity "reincarnated" through the essence transfer ritual and cloning technology. Other themes include Luke Skywalker temporarily succumbing to the Dark Side of the Force, the official return of Boba Fett (who had seemingly died after being swallowed by the Sarlacc in Return of the Jedi), and the first appearance of Princess Leia and Han Solo's son, Anakin Solo.

21371345_10214368290940314_7753726669184

Highly recommended if you can find copies around the web.

Gus

6 minutes ago, Nombrecomun said:

...after watching and re-watching The Empire Strikes Back ad nauseum. ;)

LOL.

He could do way worse.

2 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Me either. I felt pretty good about TFA.

It was the soft-reboot the franchise desperately needed. 

48 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

It was the soft-reboot the franchise desperately needed. 

Indeed. I'm still trying to forget the prequels.

8 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Indeed. I'm still trying to forget the prequels.

There were prequels?  :)

* keeping the mind spotless and eternally sunshine-y....* 

HERA SURVIVES! Hera from Rebels in Return of the Jedi-era Star Wars cartoon:

And she knows Leia! And Han, sort of. Plus there scenes with Ewoks  involving (sort of) cannibalism. But then, they were going to eat Han, Leia and Chewie once, weren't they? Instead of undoing that piece of canon, Disney have embraced it...!

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/925044644643143681

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

HERA SURVIVES! Hera from Rebels in Return of the Jedi-era Star Wars cartoon:

And she knows Leia! And Han, sort of. Plus there scenes with Ewoks  involving (sort of) cannibalism. But then, they were going to eat Han, Leia and Chewie once, weren't they? Instead of undoing that piece of canon, Disney have embraced it...!

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/925044644643143681

Seems to be Disney’s approach; keep what works, jettison what doesn’t.  

35 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Seems to be Disney’s approach; keep what works, jettison what doesn’t.  

I'm kind of hoping we get an Ahsoka, Hera and Sabine live action buddy movie.

12 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

I'm kind of hoping we get an Ahsoka, Hera and Sabine live action buddy movie.

Let the head-casting begin...;)

10 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

I’d like to see his take (Ep. 8) on the universe first before I get too excited over his developing a new trilogy on his own.    Frankly, I wasn’t a great fan of his “Looper”; I found it full of plot holes and not quite as imaginative/innovative as everyone else in my nerdy circle seemed to think (and the terrible 'Bruce Willis' makeup worn by Joseph Gordon-Levitt made him look less like Willis and more like Cameron from “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”).

6723a23b8a417edbc69adddbdfe68adf.jpgdanny-glover-stars-in-master-harold-and-

But... a dodgy makeup job doesn’t necessarily make/break a movie.  I didn’t like “Looper” for lots of other reasons as well.  Not the least of which was the sloppy plotting and over-reliance on hugger-mugger in place of solid storytelling.  

That said, I’m more than willing to see what he does with the next chapter of Star Wars, but I think it’s a little premature to get too excited for his overseeing a whole new trilogy of Star Wars. The execs must be REALLY impressed with Episode 8...

7 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I’d like to see his take (Ep. 8) on the universe first before I get too excited over his developing a new trilogy on his own.    Frankly, I wasn’t a great fan of his “Looper”; I found it full of plot holes and not quite as imaginative/innovative as everyone else in my nerdy circle seemed to think (and the terrible 'Bruce Willis' makeup worn by Joseph Gordon-Levitt made him look less like Willis and more like Cameron from “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”).

6723a23b8a417edbc69adddbdfe68adf.jpgdanny-glover-stars-in-master-harold-and-

But... a dodgy makeup job doesn’t necessarily make/break a movie.  I didn’t like “Looper” for lots of other reasons as well.  Not the least of which was the sloppy plotting and over-reliance on hugger-mugger in place of solid storytelling.  

That said, I’m more than willing to see what he does with the next chapter of Star Wars, but I think it’s a little premature to get too excited for his overseeing a whole new trilogy of Star Wars. The execs must be REALLY impressed with Episode 8...

I haven't seen Looper, or anything else directed by Rian Johnson, so I haven't got an opinion about him. I guess the Last Jedi will help me with that. I do think that a new trilogy set away from the Skywalker-centric trilogy of trilogies is a good idea though - something more along the lines of Rebels. Or even something less tied to Death Stars and stuff like that. It's a big galaxy, after all.

I am quite curious to see Looper now, though!

[Edited to add]:

Coincidentally, I just came across this...

https://io9.gizmodo.com/what-the-new-live-action-star-wars-show-should-learn-fr-1820333299

I wonder if Dave Filoni is involved in the live action TV show? I'd put money on it.

Edited by Robin Bland

2 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

I haven't seen Looper, or anything else directed by Rian Johnson, so I haven't got an opinion about him. I guess the Last Jedi will help me with that. I do think that a new trilogy set away from the Skywalker-centric trilogy of trilogies is a good idea though - something more along the lines of Rebels. Or even something less tied to Death Stars and stuff like that. It's a big galaxy, after all.

I am quite curious to see Looper now, though!

[Edited to add]:

Coincidentally, I just came across this...

https://io9.gizmodo.com/what-the-new-live-action-star-wars-show-should-learn-fr-1820333299

I wonder if Dave Filoni is involved in the live action TV show? I'd put money on it.

I think he’d be the guy to oversee it.  Based on the first two seasons of Rebels, I really believe he gets it.

He allows some quieter moments amid the action, and most importantly (for me), is the world building; he and his team really make imaginative but ‘real’ environments, even within CGI.  The serene landscapes that allow for some of the quieter character moments.   And the world-building was one of the things that really pulled me in when I first saw Star Wars ‘77 as a kid.

Some of my favorite moments in SW77 were the Tatooine sequences; not because they were packed with action or battles, but because Tatooine felt like a real, tangible place.  It wasn’t some weird ‘space-age’ planet where everything was plastic and shiny (looking at YOU, Buck Rogers).  It was a dirty, lived in place with local commerce, scrap merchants, a few watering holes and even a spaceport.   Even Luke’s landspeeder was dented and had a faded paint job.   In my mind’s eye, I could very easily imagine myself in this place I saw onscreen.  

The elements of fantasy were tamed and even domesticated by the layers of gritty realism heaped upon them.

I remember in my pre-and-early teens imagining a TV series set in the SW universe, and even then I imagined not a weekly barrage of space battles, but a TV show that took me to different worlds within that universe; not as a tourist, but as a native.

I know the emphasis on a new SW series might be on something more imaginative than my young mind’s eye vision of a SW TV series, but I’d hope the care that goes into the world-building will allow new generations of youngsters to have that same transportive feeling that I myself had a “long time ago..."

3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I think he’d be the guy to oversee it.  Based on the first two seasons of Rebels, I really believe he gets it.

He allows some quieter moments amid the action, and most importantly (for me), is the world building; he and his team really make imaginative but ‘real’ environments, even within CGI.  The serene landscapes that allow for some of the quieter character moments.   And the world-building was one of the things that really pulled me in when I first saw Star Wars ‘77 as a kid.

Some of my favorite moments in SW77 were the Tatooine sequences; not because they were packed with action or battles, but because Tatooine felt like a real, tangible place.  It wasn’t some weird ‘space-age’ planet where everything was plastic and shiny (looking at YOU, Buck Rogers).  It was a dirty, lived in place with local commerce, scrap merchants, a few watering holes and even a spaceport.   Even Luke’s landspeeder was dented and had a faded paint job.   In my mind’s eye, I could very easily imagine myself in this place I saw onscreen.  

The elements of fantasy were tamed and even domesticated by the layers of gritty realism heaped upon them.

I remember in my pre-and-early teens imagining a TV series set in the SW universe, and even then I imagined not a weekly barrage of space battles, but a TV show that took me to different worlds within that universe; not as a tourist, but as a native.

I know the emphasis on a new SW series might be on something more imaginative than my young mind’s eye vision of a SW TV series, but I’d hope the care that goes into the world-building will allow new generations of youngsters to have that same transportive feeling that I myself had a “long time ago..."

I’d like to see a holiday resort show based in the Star Wars universe!

Seriously, I think your estimation of Filoni is spot on. He uses landscape as a character, as the best film directors and comic artists do. He comprehends character development as emotional as well as sequential and he really expands upon the mystical aspect of SW, so that isn’t the binary light/dark equivalency of the films. He give everything quirks, history, depth. He’s the man for the job. I’d be excited if he was announced as showrunner on a SW live action TV show.  

Sign in to follow this