Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StillKirok

General Star Wars Discussion

1,166 posts in this topic

Carrie Fisher Will Appear In STAR WARS: EPISODE IX, According To Brother Todd Fisher

Despite her tragic death at the end of 2016, it appears Carrie Fisher will be appearing in the final installment of the sequel trilogy after all, according to her brother, Todd Fisher.

If they'd like to just re-purpose footage already shot, that's just fine.

I just veto Carrie "Peter Cushing" Fisher on the screen.

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

If they'd like to just re-purpose footage already shot, that's just fine.

I just veto Carrie "Peter Cushing" Fisher on the screen.

Didn't producer Abrams already put the kibosh on "Peter Cushing-izing" her? 

33 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Didn't producer Abrams already put the kibosh on "Peter Cushing-izing" her? 

Yes, but that hasn't entirely silenced a vocal part of Leia's fanbase that still want to see it happen. One said to me, "Well, he lied about Khan, didn't he?"

Yeah, but some fibs you don't come back from...like this one.

New York Daily News is reporting that General Leia Organa (as portrayed by Carrie Fisher) will appear in 2019’s Star Wars: Episode IX, according to her brother Todd Fisher.

Fisher spoke to New York Daily News about his sister Carrie Fisher possibly appearing in the third film of the current sequel trilogy, and says Disney approached him and Fisher’s daughter Billie Lorde about using already filmed footage of Fisher to place her in the film. No CGI will be used to recreate Carrie Fisher.

43 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

New York Daily News is reporting that General Leia Organa (as portrayed by Carrie Fisher) will appear in 2019’s Star Wars: Episode IX, according to her brother Todd Fisher.

Fisher spoke to New York Daily News about his sister Carrie Fisher possibly appearing in the third film of the current sequel trilogy, and says Disney approached him and Fisher’s daughter Billie Lorde about using already filmed footage of Fisher to place her in the film. No CGI will be used to recreate Carrie Fisher.

Glad to hear that they're being respectful and sensitive.  Hopefully spreading the existing footage across two movies doesn't too significantly impact the story, but even if it did, I'd rather they be tasteful first.    The loss of Carrie Fisher and her mother was a double whammy to both fans and their loved ones; it needs a careful touch.  

I'm toying with reading this, but don't want to be disappointed. I read the original EU Thrawn books by Zahn many years ago, and they were the last Star Wars books I read. I recall them being fun, but not exactly great lit - which is just fine. They entertained and Zahn had a way with characterisation that really drew you in. I like Thrawn's character's reintroduction on TV in Star Wars: Rebels. But I couldn't get through the Ahsoka YA book, which was really kinda simplistic and a bit dull.

Anyone?

http://io9.gizmodo.com/i-loved-thrawn-so-much-i-am-looking-for-some-blue-face-1794233275

54 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

I'm toying with reading this, but don't want to be disappointed. I read the original EU Thrawn books by Zahn many years ago, and they were the last Star Wars books I read. I recall them being fun, but not exactly great lit - which is just fine. They entertained and Zahn had a way with characterisation that really drew you in. I like Thrawn's character's reintroduction on TV in Star Wars: Rebels. But I couldn't get through the Ahsoka YA book, which was really kinda simplistic and a bit dull.

Anyone?

http://io9.gizmodo.com/i-loved-thrawn-so-much-i-am-looking-for-some-blue-face-1794233275

I'm still traumatized from "Bloodlines"; oh, how I struggled mightily to get through that one.  Even on a 5 hour flight with nothing to do it was as about as exciting as watching starches solidify, so help me.

But "Thrawn" is different; Thrawn is one of the characters from the Zahn trilogy (Mara Jade being another) that really popped off the pages for me.  He could easily fill a standalone bio-novel. 

And I still think Benedict Cumberbatch NEEDS to play him onscreen someday too!

3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I'm still traumatized from "Bloodlines"; oh, how I struggled mightily to get through that one.  Even on a 5 hour flight with nothing to do it was as about as exciting as watching starches solidify, so help me.

But "Thrawn" is different; Thrawn is one of the characters from the Zahn trilogy (Mara Jade being another) that really popped off the pages for me.  He could easily fill a standalone bio-novel. 

And I still think Benedict Cumberbatch NEEDS to play him onscreen someday too!

Yeah, and this is Thrawn by the guy who originally brought him to life... Easily one of the best - if not the best - EU character.

Yeah, I can see Cumberbatch as Thrawn!

Posted (edited)

On 4/16/2017 at 5:42 PM, GustavoLeao said:

STAR WARS Legend Carrie Fisher Will Not Appear In EPISODE IX

While it was suggested by her brother that Carrie Fisher would make a posthumous appearance as General Leia in Episode IX, it's now been confirmed that The Last Jedi will be her final bow.

I'm not surprised. I hope she at least gets some type of conclusion in Episode 8. Rather than them saying she's off somewhere else in Episode 9. This new trilogy might be about Rey/Finn/Poe but Leia and Luke are now a part of it. They can't just fade away.

________________________________________________________________________________________

I have a question generally speaking for Star Wars ....

What are you all's limits when it comes to the Force? Usually, when we think of the Force - we think of telekinesis, telepathy, Mind Trick, visions of a possible future, and lightening. The prequels gave us Force Jump/Run (and apparently Jedi can fall 100000 feet and survive ....). The sequel trilogy showed Kylo Ren being able to hold blaster fire in the air.  Rey was able to do some type of tactile memory with the lightsaber? We may see more in the later movies.

Suffice it to say - in the video games and the books - the Jedi and Sith are gods and have a much wider range of powers.

What would you all say is going too far with their powers? Darth Vader implied that even the Death Star was pathetic next to the powers of the Force. Yoda implied that the Force was this infinite cosmic energy and that all life is connected to it.

Do you think that there is a far larger range of powers the Jedi can tape into? Maybe knowledge lost over time or due to the Empire's purge. It's not like Yoda or Obi-Wan had time to teach Luke the full range of powers.

Would you accept further manipulation of universal elements? Not just lightening but water or wind or fire or ice? Is it possible that a Force user can teleport like Nightcrawler or be impervious to injury like Wolverine?

How far could it go before you say that this ruins the Force? Or do you feel that you would accept anything to truly show that the Force is limitless in its power?

Edited by The Founder

1 hour ago, The Founder said:

I'm not surprised. I hope she at least gets some type of conclusion in Episode 8. Rather than them saying she's off somewhere else in Episode 9. This new trilogy might be about Rey/Finn/Poe but Leia and Luke are now a part of it. They can't just fade away.

________________________________________________________________________________________

I have a question generally speaking for Star Wars ....

What are you all's limits when it comes to the Force? Usually, when we think of the Force - we think of telekinesis, telepathy, Mind Trick, visions of a possible future, and lightening. The prequels gave us Force Jump/Run (and apparently Jedi can fall 100000 feet and survive ....). The sequel trilogy showed Kylo Ren being able to hold blaster fire in the air.  Rey was able to do some type of tactile memory with the lightsaber? We may see more in the later movies.

Suffice it to say - in the video games and the books - the Jedi and Sith are gods and have a much wider range of powers.

What would you all say is going too far with their powers? Darth Vader implied that even the Death Star was pathetic next to the powers of the Force. Yoda implied that the Force was this infinite cosmic energy and that all life is connected to it.

Do you think that there is a far larger range of powers the Jedi can tape into? Maybe knowledge lost over time or due to the Empire's purge. It's not like Yoda or Obi-Wan had time to teach Luke the full range of powers.

Would you accept further manipulation of universal elements? Not just lightening but water or wind or fire or ice? Is it possible that a Force user can teleport like Nightcrawler or be impervious to injury like Wolverine?

How far could it go before you say that this ruins the Force? Or do you feel that you would accept anything to truly show that the Force is limitless in its power?

I think the simple answer to your question would be that the Force's power is limitless; but it's limited by the ability of the user to wield it.    So, in theory, Vader is right; the force of the universe could easily squash a Death Star... but a single force wielder is more challenged.   However, we did see Luke (a force novice at the time) channel just enough of the force's power to effectively BLOW THE DEATH STAR TO SMITHEREENS.  :thumbup:

Luke used the force to help him channel that proton torpedo; the torpedo alone wasn't enough... it needed a skilled, force-aided delivery.  So yeah, I'd say you could take Vader's meaning as either literal or figurative; but it works either way, and honestly so.

14 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I think the simple answer to your question would be that the Force's power is limitless; but it's limited by the ability of the user to wield it.    So, in theory, Vader is right; the force of the universe could easily squash a Death Star... but a single force wielder is more challenged.   However, we did see Luke (a force novice at the time) channel just enough of the force's power to effectively BLOW THE DEATH STAR TO SMITHEREENS.  :thumbup:

Luke used the force to help him channel that proton torpedo; the torpedo alone wasn't enough... it needed a skilled, force-aided delivery.  So yeah, I'd say you could take Vader's meaning as either literal or figurative; but it works either way, and honestly so.

This, pretty much. Depends on the wielder and how much "as one" with the Force s/he/it is.

Honestly, first time I saw TFA I thought Kylo Ren's ability to hold a blaster bolt was ridiculous... but then I began to consider what a blaster bolt is. Not a laser beam, as such? SW is more myth than SF, so  a blaster could shoot something that's more of a cross between a lightning bolt and raw energy - and that idea appealed to me. Visually, it's a brilliant way of selling Ren's prowess. Besides, at that point I've seen so many ace acrobatics on the part of both Jedi and Sith in the animated shows, this wasn't such a stretch.

On another note re: animated shows... Rebels S4 will be only 15 eps long instead of the usual 22. I suspect the show is making way for another iteration of the rebellion on a bigger scale. Hope so. At least we know Hera and Chopper survive (they make it into Rogue One, and Hera is soon to be retconned into ROTJ)!

56 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

This, pretty much. Depends on the wielder and how much "as one" with the Force s/he/it is.

Honestly, first time I saw TFA I thought Kylo Ren's ability to hold a blaster bolt was ridiculous... but then I began to consider what a blaster bolt is. Not a laser beam, as such? SW is more myth than SF, so  a blaster could shoot something that's more of a cross between a lightning bolt and raw energy - and that idea appealed to me. Visually, it's a brilliant way of selling Ren's prowess. Besides, at that point I've seen so many ace acrobatics on the part of both Jedi and Sith in the animated shows, this wasn't such a stretch.

I also like that the powers aren't necessarily consistent either; it better reflects a real person's natural inclinations and abilities.  

Kylo Ren could stop a blaster bolt (which I thought was pretty cool, for reasons that follow...), but he wasn't so great at making a lightsaber (or even using it; at least when compared to the Sith or Jedi at their peaks).  That's understandable.  I know friends who draw beautifully but who have almost illegible handwriting; and I had a friend who could do long division in his head but had trouble balancing his checkbook.  Some people can drive a race car well, but lack the discipline or patience for driving well in heavy traffic.   Not all skills and abilities grade along the same curve.   I take the force as a series of disciplines; and some may master a few skills, while not necessarily being as proficient in others. 

And Kylo Ren is also a member of the Knights of Ren, not the Sith; maybe they prioritize skillsets differently than the Sith or the Jedi. 

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

On another note re: animated shows... Rebels S4 will be only 15 eps long instead of the usual 22. I suspect the show is making way for another iteration of the rebellion on a bigger scale. Hope so. At least we know Hera and Chopper survive (they make it into Rogue One, and Hera is soon to be retconned into ROTJ)!

I keep forgetting to give this one a try; the new episodes of Mystery Science Theatre 3000 on Netflix have been a big distraction for me lately...:P

One of the biggest topics seem to be the mystery around Rey's parents. What do you all make of that issue? At first, I wasn't actually that interested (why is there even a need to give her a significant heritage?) but I guess it could be interesting to see a connection to one of the old characters. The obvious option seems to be Luke's daughter, but who knows? I think she's clearly very powerful in the force...she might have even more talent than Luke, but I'm not sure yet. Other theories seem to be that she's a descendant of Kenobi, or the daughter of Han and Leia.

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I also like that the powers aren't necessarily consistent either; it better reflects a real person's natural inclinations and abilities.  

Kylo Ren could stop a blaster bolt (which I thought was pretty cool, for reasons that follow...), but he wasn't so great at making a lightsaber (or even using it; at least when compared to the Sith or Jedi at their peaks).  That's understandable.  I know friends who draw beautifully but who have almost illegible handwriting; and I had a friend who could do long division in his head but had trouble balancing his checkbook.  Some people can drive a race car well, but lack the discipline or patience for driving well in heavy traffic.   Not all skills and abilities grade along the same curve.   I take the force as a series of disciplines; and some may master a few skills, while not necessarily being as proficient in others. 

And Kylo Ren is also a member of the Knights of Ren, not the Sith; maybe they prioritize skillsets differently than the Sith or the Jedi. 

Right. I think the "talented or gifted individual" is totally the way to see it. Even people who draw do it differently from the next person, so why should it always be the same? Different Force-strokes for differnt folks!

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I keep forgetting to give this one a try; the new episodes of Mystery Science Theatre 3000 on Netflix have been a big distraction for me lately...:P

It's safely away from the prequels and much more McQuarrie-like in its design and OT in its ethos, so I think you'd like it. Taken as a whole, it's some seriously engaging Star Wars. The finale of S2 is still some of the best Star Wars I've experienced, in any medium - it's where the myth, the SF, the fantasy, the characters and great visual design all come together and make some seriously great drama.

I found season 3 to be a bit patchier than the first two, with a few more filler episodes, but there are still some bits. Any time Thrawn comes onscreen, you're riveted. they respect all the traits of the character from the original EU, and he'll be back for S4.  Also, it's got Tom Baker in it, voicing a character who is neither light nor dark but strong in the Force. Seriously, what more could you want?

1 minute ago, Robin Bland said:

Right. I think the "talented or gifted individual" is totally the way to see it. Even people who draw do it differently from the next person, so why should it always be the same? Different Force-strokes for differnt folks!

It's safely away from the prequels and much more McQuarrie-like in its design and OT in its ethos, so I think you'd like it. Taken as a whole, it's some seriously engaging Star Wars. The finale of S2 is still some of the best Star Wars I've experienced, in any medium - it's where the myth, the SF, the fantasy, the characters and great visual design all come together and make some seriously great drama.

I found season 3 to be a bit patchier than the first two, with a few more filler episodes, but there are still some bits. Any time Thrawn comes onscreen, you're riveted. they respect all the traits of the character from the original EU, and he'll be back for S4.  Also, it's got Tom Baker in it, voicing a character who is neither light nor dark but strong in the Force. Seriously, what more could you want?

Wow...that's a solid endorsement of the first couple seasons.   You and I have that whole 'similar taste' thing going on, so I really need to check these out.  They sound like perfect binge-watching fodder for exercise (the one time of day when I'm truly a captive audience...hehe).

1 hour ago, Explorer3 said:

One of the biggest topics seem to be the mystery around Rey's parents. What do you all make of that issue? At first, I wasn't actually that interested (why is there even a need to give her a significant heritage?) but I guess it could be interesting to see a connection to one of the old characters. The obvious option seems to be Luke's daughter, but who knows? I think she's clearly very powerful in the force...she might have even more talent than Luke, but I'm not sure yet. Other theories seem to be that she's a descendant of Kenobi, or the daughter of Han and Leia.

I'm so okay with just waiting for this to be revealed. I really don't mind if she turns out to be Luke's daughter, Obi-Wan's or the reincarnation of Aunt Beru. It's just a bit of a non-mystery for me, which I'm happy to wait to find out about. What matters to me is the substance of her character, and how Daisy Ridley plays off Mark Hamill, which I think is going to be fantastic.

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Wow...that's a solid endorsement of the first couple seasons.   You and I have that whole 'similar taste' thing going on, so I really need to check these out.  They sound like perfect binge-watching fodder for exercise (the one time of day when I'm truly a captive audience...hehe).

I honestly think Rebels is some seriously great genre TV!

6 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

I'm so okay with just waiting for this to be revealed. I really don't mind if she turns out to be Luke's daughter, Obi-Wan's or the reincarnation of Aunt Beru. It's just a bit of a non-mystery for me, which I'm happy to wait to find out about. What matters to me is the substance of her character, and how Daisy Ridley plays off Mark Hamill, which I think is going to be fantastic.

I honestly think Rebels is some seriously great genre TV!

I trust your word; good enough for me.  :thumbup:

As for Rey?

******* POTENTIAL SPOILER, IF TRUE *******

The scuttlebutt I've read via a supposedly linked script (the link is dead now, so I've not reposted it here) is that Rey might be the reincarnation of Anakin Skywalker; which I'm ambivalent about.   On the one hand, it opens something new to the SW/Force mythos; the idea of reincarnation, so I like that it adds something to the force's mystery rather than just explain it all away.   On the other hand, it potentially saddes the Rey character with the unnecessary baggage of a dead character.  Imagine if Jean-Luc Picard had been the reincarnation of Capt. James T. Kirk?  It would detract somewhat from Picard's own history and accomplishments.  

But... ST isn't SW; one is very literal, the other is more spiritual.  

And, of course, a lot of it depends on the execution as well.   Daisy Ridley is such a solid young actress that I'd be intrigued to see her translate that knowledge into her performance.  

We'll see....

12 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I trust your word; good enough for me.  :thumbup:

As for Rey?

******* POTENTIAL SPOILER, IF TRUE *******

The scuttlebutt I've read via a supposedly linked script (the link is dead now, so I've not reposted it here) is that Rey might be the reincarnation of Anakin Skywalker; which I'm ambivalent about.   On the one hand, it opens something new to the SW/Force mythos; the idea of reincarnation, so I like that it adds something to the force's mystery rather than just explain it all away.   On the other hand, it potentially saddes the Rey character with the unnecessary baggage of a dead character.  Imagine if Jean-Luc Picard had been the reincarnation of Capt. James T. Kirk?  It would detract somewhat from Picard's own history and accomplishments.  

But... ST isn't SW; one is very literal, the other is more spiritual.  

And, of course, a lot of it depends on the execution as well.   Daisy Ridley is such a solid young actress that I'd be intrigued to see her translate that knowledge into her performance.  

We'll see....

Oooooof. That's sooooooo clunky. That sound you heard was the leaden weight of the prospect of it crashing through every floor of the building I'm sitting in. I really hope they don't go that route. Or at the very least, are so vague about the possibilities of it that fans can take away what they want. 

This desperate thirst for onscreen confirmation of every fan theory that exists in the modern age bothers me, because it no longer leaves room for a reader/viewer's own imaginative backstory. Why does every damn thing have to spelled out for simpletons? (Yeah, I'm looking at you, ALIEN franchise as one of the chief offenders.) At least Star Wars has a story unit to keep it all coherent now. A little deliberate vagueness goes a long way to preserving the sense of mystery in a multi-tiered story. 

On that note... Rebels does a really good job of keeping the Force mysterious. They explore the mythology of it, while remaining oblique. I have to admire the way they do it, because it expands all sorts of storytelling possibilities without contradicting anything we already know, or providing a hamfisted "scientific" explanation like the infamous midichlorians. 

14 hours ago, Explorer3 said:

Further to this... I think I'd actually prefer it if she just turned out to be naturally gifted with the Force and was no relation to the Skywalkers at all. But that's not going to happen, as the saga "episodes" are supposed to be about the continuing adventures of the Skywalker family. But I'd be totally okay if her connection to Luke turned out to be about the wonder and vastness of the Universe, of the life energy threaded through it; that they were connected purely through their natures rather than via some forced (no pun intended) familial connection.  

4 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Oooooof. That's sooooooo clunky. That sound you heard was the leaden weight of the prospect of it crashing through every floor of the building I'm sitting in. I really hope they don't go that route. Or at the very least, are so vague about the possibilities of it that fans can take away what they want. 

This desperate thirst for onscreen confirmation of every fan theory that exists in the modern age bothers me, because it no longer leaves room for a reader/viewer's own imaginative backstory. Why does every damn thing have to spelled out for simpletons? (Yeah, I'm looking at you, ALIEN franchise as one of the chief offenders.) At least Star Wars has a story unit to keep it all coherent now. A little deliberate vagueness goes a long way to preserving the sense of mystery in a multi-tiered story. 

On that note... Rebels does a really good job of keeping the Force mysterious. They explore the mythology of it, while remaining oblique. I have to admire the way they do it, because it expands all sorts of storytelling possibilities without contradicting anything we already know, or providing a hamfisted "scientific" explanation like the infamous midichlorians. 

As a kid, one of the many things that  I really loved about the SW universe was that my imagination could 'fill in the blanks'  of the unseen corners that I didn't see onscreen.  I could imagine the nooks and crannies of this expansive and fascinating universe without everything being labeled and explained to me like I was, well, a child on a guided tour.  Imagining those unexplored corners was very healthy for my imagination, and I remember very fondly how I used to imagine planets and characters of this 'galaxy far far away' (and their relationships to the main characters) that were all mine.  

Kids today don't really have that as much; these days, if they're not sure about something?  They just look it up on Wookieepedia. :dontgetit:

Sometimes I just miss the mystery.  The nature of the force was definitely something that I wanted kept under wraps.  As an atheist (yes, even then) I knew the force wasn't meant to be so literal.  Kenobi explained it to Luke in lovely broadstrokes that fired the imagination.  He didn't mention any freaking midichlorians and blood counts.

******** SPECULATION: POSSIBLE SPOILER, IF TRUE ********

And yes, the Rey thing is potentially VERY clunky; if it's even true (it may just be one of the many fan theories that are just so much hot air blessed with the 'reality' of being in print online somewhere).  But if they DO go that route, I would prefer that it be implicit rather than explicit; maybe (instead of it being so literal) Rey just 'feels' the past of other Jedi flowing through her; like her vision in TFA with the voice of Obi Wan.  That may be a unique ability of hers, and hers alone; the ability to channel the past directly into the present.

7 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

As a kid, one of the many things that  I really loved about the SW universe was that my imagination could 'fill in the blanks'  of the unseen corners that I didn't see onscreen.  I could imagine the nooks and crannies of this expansive and fascinating universe without everything being labeled and explained to me like I was, well, a child on a guided tour.  Imagining those unexplored corners was very healthy for my imagination, and I remember very fondly how I used to imagine planets and characters of this 'galaxy far far away' (and their relationships to the main characters) that were all mine.  

Kids today don't really have that as much; these days, if they're not sure about something?  They just look it up on Wookieepedia. :dontgetit:

Sometimes I just miss the mystery.  The nature of the force was definitely something that I wanted kept under wraps.  As an atheist (yes, even then) I knew the force wasn't meant to be so literal.  Kenobi explained it to Luke in lovely broadstrokes that fired the imagination.  He didn't mention any freaking midichlorians and blood counts.

******** SPECULATION: POSSIBLE SPOILER, IF TRUE ********

And yes, the Rey thing is potentially VERY clunky; if it's even true (it may just be one of the many fan theories that are just so much hot air blessed with the 'reality' of being in print online somewhere).  But if they DO go that route, I would prefer that it be implicit rather than explicit; maybe (instead of it being so literal) Rey just 'feels' the past of other Jedi flowing through her; like her vision in TFA with the voice of Obi Wan.  That may be a unique ability of hers, and hers alone; the ability to channel the past directly into the present.

Couldn't agree more regarding implicit vs. explicit. In the Internet age, I think this is almost our light vs. dark ongoing battle. 

Interestingly, Ezra in Rebels has the very talent you postulate Rey possesses, in that he's sensed both past and future. There's a great ep in S2 where he, Kanan and Ahsoka end up trapped in a Jedi temple while Darth Vader's agents are outside breaking in, and they're assailed by all these visions because the Force is so strong in that place. It's both a playful treatment of the Force in instigating the drama, it reveals more about the nature of the Force being concentrated in certain places, but it loses none of its mystery while simultaneously working as a macguffin. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0