Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StillKirok

General Star Wars Discussion

1,121 posts in this topic

Huh. I would've thought maybe the fact that they were good people would be undermined by the idea of them having their own doomsday device. Weapons of mass destruction don't make anyone a good guy, even if their intentions are good..the effect is the same, and that effect is ruling by fear. Why should the rebels become that scummy?  Ridiculous. 

That's like saying that someone who picks up a lightsaber is a Sith because they use lightsabers.  The Death Star is a weapon.  And like all weapons, the effects of its use is determined by who uses it.

If the Rebels had their own Death Star, they could have a means to stop the Empire.  Just the very existence of a Death Star would be a deterrent for the Empire to use that weapon.  You destroy Alderaan, we destroy one of your populated planets.  That's a lot better than just ignoring the technology and letting the Empire decimate you with it.

The whole POINT of Star Wars (as embodied in Vader) is that absolute power corrupts absolutely.  As Vader became more powerful his ambition began to grow exponentially.  The Death Star was the power to destroy an ENTIRE planet; a lightsaber is purely defensive in nature (it doesn't fire at anyone; and it's only lethal in proximity combat).

You don't seem to get the underlying morality of the entire Star Wars saga; it doesn't matter who's holding the keys to the ultimate weapon...ultimate weapons are their OWN danger.  Holding that kind of power over whole planets full of people is morally reprehensible.

Such weaponry turns the entire galaxy into little more than privileged hostages living on the whims of a Republic or an Empire.

Carrie Fisher just suffered a Heart Attack on a London to LA flight.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38423963?ocid=socialflow_twitter

FFS.

F#&k off already 2016 and leave our art and artists alone!

Wishing a speedy recovery to the marvelous, utterly fabulous Ms Fisher.

I just heard this!

I still remember her, making me laugh till tears came, at my first Comic Con in 2004.   That was a great memory.   Wishing her all the best because the world NEEDS her honesty, her worldview and her humor; now more than ever.   

She was without a pulse for 15 minutes, this doesn't look good.

The whole POINT of Star Wars (as embodied in Vader) is that absolute power corrupts absolutely.  As Vader became more powerful his ambition began to grow exponentially.  The Death Star was the power to destroy an ENTIRE planet; a lightsaber is purely defensive in nature (it doesn't fire at anyone; and it's only lethal in proximity combat).

You don't seem to get the underlying morality of the entire Star Wars saga; it doesn't matter who's holding the keys to the ultimate weapon...ultimate weapons are their OWN danger.  Holding that kind of power over whole planets full of people is morally reprehensible.

Such weaponry turns the entire galaxy into little more than privileged hostages living on the whims of a Republic or an Empire.

You can't put the genie back in the bottle.  The alternative is to let the bad guys have that super weapon, unchecked, so they can blow you up, one planet at a time. 

I still remember her, making me laugh till tears came, at my first Comic Con in 2004.   That was a great memory.   Wishing her all the best because the world NEEDS her honesty, her worldview and her humor; now more than ever.   

I definitely hope she recovers.  60 is too young.

She was without a pulse for 15 minutes, this doesn't look good.

No it doesn't.

2016 continues to &^%$ the planet.

No matter what happens to celebrities, if you have your health, your friends, and your family, 2016 wasn't that bad.  And I only hope for good things for Carrie Fisher.

You can't put the genie back in the bottle.  The alternative is to let the bad guys have that super weapon, unchecked, so they can blow you up, one planet at a time. 

I

There is a third alternative; you prevent the bad guys from MAKING one.  I can't imagine it's easy to pull resources to build a moon sized weapon.   So a smart Republic would work to subvert or prevent the bad guys from accruing that kind of capital in the first place, and while you're at it?  Try winning some of them or their allies over to your side (ala Finn, or the defector we saw in R1).  Break up the Empire or First Order from within, or prevent it from ever starting. 

Peace isn't easier but peace under the mutually of assured destruction isn't peace; it's a tense stalemate.  

I

There is a third alternative; you prevent the bad guys from MAKING one.  I can't imagine it's easy to pull resources to build a moon sized weapon.   So a smart Republic would work to subvert or prevent the bad guys from accruing that kind of capital in the first place, and while you're at it?  Try winning some of them or their allies over to your side (ala Finn, or the defector we saw in R1).  Break up the Empire or First Order from within, or prevent it from ever starting. 

Peace isn't easier but peace under the mutually of assured destruction isn't peace; it's a tense stalemate.  

With the bureaucracy that must exist in the Empire, you could stall something like that for a century. 

Edited by prometheus59650

No matter what happens to celebrities, if you have your health, your friends, and your family, 2016 wasn't that bad.  And I only hope for good things for Carrie Fisher.

Good perspective to have.

Once the tech is out, it's not so easy to prevent the bad guys from making one.  At least not the Empire.  For example, it's not possible to prevent Russia or China from making nukes.  Clearly, the Republic/Rebellion wasn't able to stop the Empire/First Order from recycling this technology.  They built 2 of them since the Rebels stole the plans.

If the good guys had a Death Star, it would have been a lot easier to combat the Death Star in TFA.

With the bureaucracy that must exist in the Empire, you could stall something like that for a century. 

Actually, they are pretty darn efficient.  They had a more powerful Death Star operational in 3 years.

I

We saw how the Empire formed in the prequels ("this is how liberty dies... with thunderous applause"; the only quotable line in the entire PT), but I wonder how the New Republic just sat idly by and watched the First Order form?  

And why did the once-ruling government have to suddenly resort to becoming a threadbare Resistanc--wait, I think I know the answer to that one ( *grim chuckle...*). :S

But the only thing fleets of Death Stars on both sides would get that galaxy is thousands of systems that only live at the capricious whims of their leaders.  And as we saw in just a few short years following World War 2, having an 'ultimate weapon' doesn't rid you of war and conflict.   If anything, having a Death Star 'protecting' the rebellion would probably get them nothing but a First Order determined to build Starkiller Base even quicker, or multiple assaults upon the operational Death Star (even the Death Star's primary weapons' operational status in "Return of the Jedi" didn't prevent the rebels from carrying out their successful attack on it).

So let's say it's 30-odd years ago; the rebellion has won.   The New Republic is instated.   The NR orders a "Peace Star" (being 'nice' guys, they wouldn't call it a 'Death Star'... hehe).   'Peace Star' could never be used; not without the New Republic BECOMING the Empire.   The minute they flick that 'primary ignition' and nuke an entire world, they lose the very thing they fought so hard to become; a civilized governing body which rules through democracy and the will of the people, not through terror.

Not to mention Peace Star would be a FREQUENT target by any usurper like the First Order.   And the New Republic would need thousands upon thousands of troops to staff it.   Even so, it'd probably be brought down by terrorists who steal its plans (payback's a b!tch, folks) and plan a carefully choreographed assault upon ANY potential weakness it might have.

Frankly Peace Star's very existence would act as a magnet for smaller powers to frequently challenge the authority of the Republic; knowing they wouldn't have the courage or the moral authority to actually USE it, much as terrorists today continually taunt and wreak havoc with nuclear power states like the US, France, Russia, and Israel, to name a few.  All the terrorists have to do is hide themselves on a peaceful or neutral planet somewhere, using the planet's inhabitants as human shields and voila.   Instant safety from Peace Star, because they'd know that if the Republic DID decide to actually USE their Peace Star?  They're no longer the Republic, and at that point it becomes the usurper's mandate to bring them down at all costs, because they are a danger to life in the galaxy (just as Alderaan made the Rebellion's mission that much more vital).

Now if you had Rebel and Imperial fleets of Death Stars facing off against each other?   You get a giant shooting match between ultimate killers (see: TOS' Doomsday Machine for what that could look like when its over).   Or before that happens, you'd most likely have a third (or 4th, 5th, 6th...) party (parties) trying to stop one side or the other, or BOTH.   They could use terrorism, or who-knows-what-other means that exist in that 'galaxy far far away...'

That kind of arms race is a no-win scenario.   It dead ends very quickly.

The alternative is to allow one side to continue to have a massive weapons advantage, and destroy you. Imagine the American Revolution if the Americans didn't use guns and cannons. 

Or WWI if only one side used planes.

The alternative is to allow one side to continue to have a massive weapons advantage, and destroy you. Imagine the American Revolution if the Americans didn't use guns and cannons. 

The plan should be, maybe do your best to prevent the other side from creating the massive superweapons. I mean if you defeat them, and take over the government...why not do your best to slow them down and block them from regrouping nd creating yet another superweapon? Escalation on both sides gets nothing but mutual destruction in the end. 

And also the point of the Empire in Star Wars was pretty cut and dry: They rule by fear and intimidation. The rebels wanted out from under the fear.  The fear is represented by Superweapons.  If they made their own superweapon, they are now ruling by fear. Even if the people they are trying to strike fear into are the remnants of Evil Empire...they now become the underdog and rebels and the cycle continues forever and ever...and that seems, like, pointless to me?

Brits had weapons too.  The Americans won the same way the rebels won in ROTJ: guerrila warfare.

The Death Star isn't a precision weapon, like a plane, cannon or rifle.  It destroys an ENTIRE world at the flick of a switch.  NO SIDE should ever be allowed to possess one.  This is where the rebels needed to step up their intelligence gathering and prevent these things from ever being made in the first place, or destroy them from wiithin by any means necessary. 

To once again use the analogy of the US and nuclear weapons?   Dropping nukes on Japan did NOT prevent the US from being challenged, terrorized and otherwise provoked.  The era of MAD (mutual assured destruction) with the Soviet Union and China was supposed to buy us that mythical 'peace through strength'; the last 70 years have been anything BUT.

All super weapons get you is escalation.  One side builds a Death Star?  The other side builds a Starkiller Base. 

While sure, stopping the other side from having superweapons is ideal, once the cat is out of the bag, it's out of the bag, and to hold yourself back and give the brutal enemy the weapons advantage is a huge mistake.

If the Empire rules by fear and intimidation, then letting them have their Death Star is only going to increase that, and the only way to stop them is to fight back, which requires the weaponry to do so.  If the Rebels, who had these plans for 30 years, had a Death Star, it sure would have been a lot easier to destroy the Starkiller base.

The Death Star, as we learned in Rogue One, can be dialed back so as to not destroy a whole planet, but the fact that it can, and the Empire is willing to use it, speaks volumes as to why the Rebels need one of their own.

As for nuclear weapons, actually, it's been quite the opposite.  Using them in Japan showed the world just how devastating they can be, and the MAD prevented a conventional war between the US and USSR that could have cost millions of lives.  Conflicts may have happened, but we never had WWIII yet. 

While sure, stopping the other side from having superweapons is ideal, once the cat is out of the bag, it's out of the bag, and to hold yourself back and give the brutal enemy the weapons advantage is a huge mistake.

If the Empire rules by fear and intimidation, then letting them have their Death Star is only going to increase that, and the only way to stop them is to fight back, which requires the weaponry to do so.  If the Rebels, who had these plans for 30 years, had a Death Star, it sure would have been a lot easier to destroy the Starkiller base.

The Death Star, as we learned in Rogue One, can be dialed back so as to not destroy a whole planet, but the fact that it can, and the Empire is willing to use it, speaks volumes as to why the Rebels need one of their own.

As for nuclear weapons, actually, it's been quite the opposite.  Using them in Japan showed the world just how devastating they can be, and the MAD prevented a conventional war between the US and USSR that could have cost millions of lives.  Conflicts may have happened, but we never had WWIII yet. 

The operative word: YET.  And millions of lives have still been lost in proxy wars and other conflicts.  It didn't stop the wars; it just changed the face of them.

As for your previous point, I'm kind of mystified that you seem incapable of grasping the morality of Death Stars in principle; and how having a Death Star did NOT make the Empire secure...it only made their enemy that much more determined to bring it down, which they did; TWICE.    If the Rebellion had their own Death Star, they'd just be one of two evil Empires vying for power at the expense of innocents (a better analog of our current world I couldn't imagine).

That was kind of the whole point of Star Wars; a soulless, brutal Empire ruling by fear and a super weapon is brought down by the determination of a scrappy, resourceful rebellion.  Both sides having Death Stars would make the SW galaxy choose between which Empire they want to live under, since both rule and maintain power by the exact same means; "You tread on us?  We turn your world into radioactive dust."   There would be no 'good guys' in such a galactic order.  And the 'evil' Empire would simply be allowed to exist rather than be forced out of power, which was the rebellion's ultimate goal of the saga.  It also wouldn't matter, since a Death Star-armed rebellion would simply be a different colored bucket of the same s#!t.

NO difference.  

Which was also another point of the SW saga; having such all-consuming power, as embodied in Anakin's seduction to the Dark Side, inaariably corrupts.  Even the once sage galactic Republic rotted from within and became the Empire that eventually built the Death Star for its own 'security' (all too many horrible things have been done in the name of security).

Well, it has been since 1949 that both the US and USSR had nukes.  So MAD seems to have been very effective.  Things are nowhere near as bad as they were at its worst. 

Morality has nothing to do with the type of weapon.  It has to do with the people themselves.  If Luke and Leia had a Death Star of their own, it would have served as a means to combat the Empire and restore the Republic.  The only reason the Death Stars were destroyed were due to the hubris of the Empire.  Once those plans were stolen, their scientists should have been looking for a flaw themselves, and should have protected it.  And to not set their traps to destroy the Rebellion until the second Death Star was fully operational. 

The Death Star wasn't what made the Empire evil. 

There is a HUGE difference.  Think of it like being a black belt.  One black belt uses his skill to bully weaker people.  He terrorizes them daily.  Another black belt sees this, and confronts the first black belt, in defense of someone else who can't defend himself.  The first person is evil.  The second is not.  They both use the same skills. 

Imagine how things would have been if the Sith destroyed all the Jedi, including Luke, Obi Wan, and Yoda.  No one on the light side to fight.  Who would stop them?

Well, it has been since 1949 that both the US and USSR had nukes.  So MAD seems to have been very effective.  Things are nowhere near as bad as they were at its worst. 

Morality has nothing to do with the type of weapon.  It has to do with the people themselves.  If Luke and Leia had a Death Star of their own, it would have served as a means to combat the Empire and restore the Republic.  The only reason the Death Stars were destroyed were due to the hubris of the Empire.  Once those plans were stolen, their scientists should have been looking for a flaw themselves, and should have protected it.  And to not set their traps to destroy the Rebellion until the second Death Star was fully operational. 

There is a HUGE difference.  Think of it like being a black belt.  One black belt uses his skill to bully weaker people.  He terrorizes them daily.  Another black belt sees this, and confronts the first black belt, in defense of someone else who can't defend himself.  The first person is evil.  The second is not.  They both use the same skills. 

Imagine how things would have been if the Sith destroyed all the Jedi, including Luke, Obi Wan, and Yoda.  No one on the light side to fight.  Who would stop them?

Wow.... that seems a dizzying lack of understanding of the lessons of Star Wars.

I won't get deeper into the politics of MAD here (the name is apt enough) as deeper analysis would belong in the KM threads, but on your other points:

Beg to differ.  

It was the distillation of everything the evil Empire stood for; 'peace' and 'security' through planet-destroying oppression, with the promise of oblivion to any and all dissenters (or on a whim, as Alderaan was destroyed by Tarkin because Leia wasn't forthcoming).   Destroying entire living, breathing worlds just to enact political will couldn't BE more evil.   A hollow parody of a planet, zipping about the stars winking out world by world is the kind of power that Palpatine conceived of in his original power grab.   The schematics of the Death Star were already seen in the movies at the climax of Episode II (a movie I'd rather forget, save for tiny bits like that), so Palpatine saw such a weapon as the means to his own power consolidation.  It didn't make him evil... it was the result of an evil goal.

If Luke and Leia had a Death Star of their own, it would have served as a means to combat the Empire and restore the Republic.

You don't see the contradiction?  

raw

Anakin became drunk with his exponentially increasing powers, and by Episode III he even told Padme that they could rule the galaxy together, and that if his own master Palpatine got in his way?   He "could overthrow him."   You really think his kids would want to follow in their dad's footsteps like that, after seeing what such obscene power did to their own father?   Again... I'm just... mystified that you failed to heed what is possibly the most powerful message in both the OT and the PT.

As for the Death Star's omnipotence?  Even Vader put it thusly in the original SW77; "Don't be too proud of this technological terror (the Death Star)... The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force."  Sounds almost like he was channeling his old teacher Master Yoda in that moment.   Such a weapon of mass destruction really is insignificant next to an opposing force determined to get rid of it.

A person using their personal (and DEFENSIVE) skill sets against another in personal combat is a very different thing than destroying an entire innocent world as an act of political or personal might.    That you seemingly (or willfully?) fail to see the difference astonishes me.

The Jedi use lightsabers as defensive weapons, much as a black belt uses their bodies; but a lightsaber or a black belt cannot be used to destroy a world full of innocent beings by the command of a few switches and levers.   Personal combat is NOT comparable to weapons of mass destruction.   That is a totally irrelevant example, since any two people are capable of killing each other in a fight; whether they're black belts or just got lucky with a punch that causes a hematoma.   It doesn't make them walking WMDs.  I could only harm one person at a time if provoked (since I don't own a gun); I can't kill a million people on a whim if someone cuts me off on the freeway.  That's a VERY good thing too, since L.A. traffic is murder... ;)

But using your martial arts analogy?  Both black belts could easily be mowed down in the street by a drive by shooter with a machine gun.   Their relative skills with each other in personal combat would be rendered instantly irrelevant.  The drive by shooter in the car would be equally useless against a giant laser beam that reduces his entire world to dust and debris.

The person who has a Death Star at their personal command (like Palpatine or Tarkin or even Luke and Leia) would be all-too easily corrupted by such power.   And as we saw in Anakin Skywalker (who started out as a good, if bratty kid) and possibly Ben Solo (we don't know his backstory yet), even the good and innocent can be swayed by the promise of more power.   That is the big, neon-lettered lesson of the entire Star Wars saga.  

It's not just good vs. evil; it's that BOTH are two sides of the same coin, and that power is the catalyst that flips the faces...

The lessons of Star Wars?  One of them should be that if you underestimate your enemy, they will destroy you.  And there's a reality--if one side has superior technology and massive weapons, they will win, no matter if they are the villains or the heroes. 

The Empire was about total control through intimidation.  They were not about peace and security.  It was a mad dictatorship where everyone suffered.  One of the reasons was because they had superior weaponry and no one could stop them.  They were a lot like Nazis.  But it wasn't the Death Star that made the Empire evil.  It was a TOOL that these evil people had that allowed them to carry out their villainy to the nth degree.

Now imagine if Alderaan had something that could combat that giant weapon, a weapon of its own, to stop the Death Star in its tracks.

Vader's quote that you cited--he was talking about how powerful the Force is, though I didn't see anyone try to use the Force to collapse the Death Star.  Might have been interesting, though let's say that's possible--that would make a Jedi MORE powerful than a Death Star, and negate the absolute power argument.

He was not talking about an opposing force in general like the Rebels. 

You don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

A person using their personal (and DEFENSIVE) skill sets against another in personal combat is a very different thing than destroying an entire innocent world as an act of political or personal might.    That you seemingly (or willfully?) fail to see the difference astonishes me.

Who says anything about destroying an innocent world?  It was the Empire, UNCHECKED, that did that.  They would have thought twice if Alderaan had the defenses to combat the Death Star.  If the Rebels had one of their own, they could use it to destroy the EMPIRE's Death Star (or Starkiller base).

The Jedi use lightsabers as defensive weapons, much as a black belt uses their bodies; but a lightsaber or a black belt cannot be used to destroy a world full of innocent beings by the command of a few switches and levers.   Personal combat is NOT comparable to weapons of mass destruction.

It's no different.  It's only about degree.  If that bad person is going around with a machine gun, and someone defends though people with a machine gun, they are using that weapon for good.  In WWII, the Nazis invaded many countries, and they were beaten back by the Allies.  They didn't do it with bows and arrows.  It's the idea of fighting fire with fire.

Star Wars is a fairy tale, wherein good and evil are absolutes. Essentially, it's still pretty simplistic in its overall tapestry. There's precious few shades of grey or examples of "banality as evil" although Rogue One and other spin-off movies may attempt to broaden the scope there somewhat. I question the wisdom of that as a long-term storytelling strategy - keeping it mythical in tone really works for Star Wars.

And although I always took Vader's assertions in ANH to be philosophical in nature, when it comes to scale he's right. The Force pervades the galaxy, if not the universe, and the Death Star is only one tiny mote within that universe. You might not be able to crush the Death Star Force-choke style, and it can kill planets, but theoretically if you could get every Force-wielder in nature to simultaneously harmonize their efforts, they could probably crush it like a grape. But, y'know... if you think too hard about these things, it begins to take the fun out of it. Star Wars works because the villains are so damn "black hat" and they have impossible laser swords.  It's not deliberate analogy, like, say, Star Trek, or how Doctor Who can sometimes work. It's myth.

I guess it might make as much sense to put this here, which is what I actually came here to do...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/27/movies/how-rogue-one-brought-back-grand-moff-tarkin.html?_r=1

Here's an interesting thought about the Force--

According to Yoda--the size of the object isn't important.  Based on that, he was able to Force lift a X wing fighter.  Luke, in his head, thought it was too heavy.  So why WOULDN'T a well trained Force user be able to use the Force against the Death Star?

Here's an interesting thought about the Force--

According to Yoda--the size of the object isn't important.  Based on that, he was able to Force lift a X wing fighter.  Luke, in his head, thought it was too heavy.  So why WOULDN'T a well trained Force user be able to use the Force against the Death Star?

BECAUSE THEY WERE ALL DEAD.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0